SiouxSports.com Forum

Would you stay a fan?

undsportsfan

I think this one is should be brought back to the top. I won't like the name being changed, I think it's just a matter of time because of political correctness run a muck and it makes my head want to explode but I will still be a fan of the Sioux hockey and football teams.

I would definitely remain a fan ... I will always be a NoDak and UND Alum ... but I can't say it would be the same. The teams would continue to deserve our support; I'm not so certain that carries over to supporting the leadership of the school and the school board. My support of them would depend on if I ultimately think these entities did all they could to resolve this name issue satisfactorily. Today, my decision relies on their actions from this point forward.

For those who like the Cavalry moniker and especially for those in the Pride of the North Band ... may I present the Casper Troopers:

block_picture4.jpg

block_picture2.jpg

If the nickname goes away we all join the Fighting Sioux Historical Preservation Society. There will be no shortage of Sioux merchandise available no matter what happens - trust me.

I bought a couple of older jersey from AZSioux this season in anticipation of this happening.

I bought a couple of older jersey from AZSioux this season in anticipation of this happening.

Yeah...I have enough to wear a different one every day of the month (literally), so I'm set to go as well. I really want to wear them in front of Fighting Sioux teams, though, and not the Cavalry, Rough Riders, Sundogs, Flickertails, etc...

For whatever reason, Flickertails is growing on me. It's a former nickname of the university, and it's unique to only us. No, it's not fierce, and yes, a flickertail is too similar to a Gopher for even my liking, but for the stated reasons, it's worth considering in my book. I'm not saying we SHOULD be the Flickertails, only that it isn't as disgusting sounding now as it originally did.

For whatever reason, Flickertails is growing on me. It's a former nickname of the university, and it's unique to only us. No, it's not fierce, and yes, a flickertail is too similar to a Gopher for even my liking, but for the stated reasons, it's worth considering in my book. I'm not saying we SHOULD be the Flickertails, only that it isn't as disgusting sounding now as it originally did.

To tell you the truth I partially agree, I wouldn't be EXCITED if that was the new nickname, but I'd be moderatly satisfied. With how many of those poor little guys i "dispatched" this summer I suppose I owe it to honor them :):sad: . I'm in the same boat with Sun Dogs, but then again I make my living as a Meteorologist, soooooo......

To tell you the truth I partially agree, I wouldn't be EXCITED if that was the new nickname, but I'd be moderatly satisfied. With how many of those poor little guys i "dispatched" this summer I suppose I owe it to honor them :):sad: . I'm in the same boat with Sun Dogs, but then again I make my living as a Meteorologist, soooooo......

Hambone, I can't say I agree with you on Sundogs...all I can think of is a Spuds McKenzie commercial. And your comment on "dispatching" Flickertails is a big reason against the nickname (those ain't no "Fightin" Flickertails).

And for those who are wondering who Spuds McKenzie is, here's a picture of the "Party Animal":

Spuds_mackenzie.jpg

Flickertails is unmarketable with Gophers next door.

And there's another problem in today's world .... FLICKERS ...

So, what word did you see there? :)

Never thought of that. A guy could really have some fun making signs.....LETS GO FLICKERS.

Hambone, I can't say I agree with you on Sundogs...all I can think of is a Spuds McKenzie commercial. And your comment on "dispatching" Flickertails is a big reason against the nickname (those ain't no "Fightin" Flickertails).

If we became the Flickers would an (in)famous picture of Hakstol be our new moniker? :sad:

Understandable, Sun Dogs is a cool phenomena that happens around here, but yeah, that stupid dog. I don't see refracted light as being to marketable either (what would colors be, what would the uniforms look like? etc). And as for those Flickertails, they were pretty easy targets in every sense imaginable, and quite fun to "hunt." We'll see how things play out, only time will tell, nothing will be better than the Fighting Sioux in all our opinions, but at this point there's nothing we can do but sit and wait. I just hope we keep Green Black and White for athletic colors so i can get by without buying all new stuff :)

If we became the Flickers would an (in)famous picture of Hakstol be our new moniker? :sad:

Understandable, Sun Dogs is a cool phenomena that happens around here, but yeah, that stupid dog. I don't see refracted light as being to marketable either (what would colors be, what would the uniforms look like? etc). And as for those Flickertails, they were pretty easy targets in every sense imaginable, and quite fun to "hunt." We'll see how things play out, only time will tell, nothing will be better than the Fighting Sioux in all our opinions, but at this point there's nothing we can do but sit and wait. I just hope we keep Green Black and White for athletic colors so i can get by without buying all new stuff :)

I don't think we'd ever change the colors. If you look at anyone else who has had similar nickname issues, all have retained their former colors to my knowledge...that is something that will likely be forever bound to the university (until colorblind people have an uproar about school colors being discriminative towards them and we all have to be black or white, which will then lead to African-Americans calling the schools racist, so then every school will be gray, no one will know who is who, and everyone is a winner).

How bout for the sundogs logo, we modify it so that Spuds McKenzie is crossed with a Pink Floyd emblem?

Sundogs are a sign that it's cold and going to get colder.

That's too stereotypical of a view of North Dakota.

So, in closing, no Sundogs. Why?

" ... that's stereotyping, ... and stereotyping is wrong."

{sip off scotch}

{long draw off cigar}

[/Ron White]

Some day y'all will read my signature and figure it out. :)

Flickertails is unmarketable with Gophers next door.

And there's another problem in today's world .... FLICKERS ...

So, what word did you see there? :)

I remember the first time I drove through Valley City and I caught the big FLICKERTAIL INN sign out of the corner of my eye, really looks like the F-bomb from the interstate.