SiouxSports.com Forum

DI Conference Speculation

bincitysioux

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did someone say "Summit affecting scenarios" a while back?

http://news.collegesportsinfo.com/2009/12/...conference.html

Be sure to look at the comments also. (I love it when folks do homework for me. :silly: )

:silly:

I've asked repeatedly for scenarios explaining why the Horizon would take a Summit school. The article you linked to merely says that the A10 would might approach Butler or Detroit to leave the Horizon league if the Big East takes an A10 school because of Notre Dame going to the Big Ten.

First of all, how likely is it that Notre Dame goes to the Big Ten? Come on...

Second of all, assuming that Butler or Detroit would entertain leaving for the A10, the yet to be answered question remains: why would the Horizon approach any current Summit member?!

From the link, Scenario 7 played out, (forget Notre Dame, think Big East instead):

Big East gets raided, Big East raids A10, A10 raids Horizon, Horizon raids Summit. Quoting the scenario:

If A10 expanded with a Horizon school:

Horizon would consider Summit options like IPFW

I don't believe IPFW. I agree with one of the commenters when they said:

If the ... A-10 grabbed Butler, IUPUI would be the first choice, to establish them back in the Indianapolis market. Losing Butler also hurts getting access to Conseco Fieldhouse and Lucas Oil Stadium, and the easiest way to get that back is to grab IUPUI. They also have a bit more upside than IPFW in facilities, as well as prestige (as far as Summit schools go).

Conference moves will be about markets.

And remember, these are fans not worried about a moniker and conference membership pondering these things.

From the link, Scenario 7 played out, (forget Notre Dame, think Big East instead):

Big East gets raided, Big East raids A10, A10 raids Horizon, Horizon raids Summit. Quoting the scenario:

I don't believe IPFW. I agree with one of the commenters when they said:

Conference moves will be about markets.

And remember, these are fans not worried about a moniker and conference membership pondering these things.

IUPUI has a horrendous basketball facility. My high school gym is better. I have a very hard time seeing the Horizon asking them to join, just to get back into Indy. Evansville probably gets more support in Indy than IUPUI does. The Horizon could try to lure them away from the MVC, in which they are not competitive. There's no reason the Horizon couldn't host NCAA tournament games at Conseco or Lucas with Evansville as the host.

IUPUI has a horrendous basketball facility. My high school gym is better. I have a very hard time seeing the Horizon asking them to join, just to get back into Indy. Evansville probably gets more support in Indy than IUPUI does. The Horizon could try to lure them away from the MVC, in which they are not competitive. There's no reason the Horizon couldn't host NCAA tournament games at Conseco or Lucas with Evansville as the host.

Obviously you didn't realize that the Conseco Center has an agreement to host IUPUI games of significant local interest (i.e. not NDSU or SDSU). If IUPUI was in the Horizon, almost all it's games would move there. Moreover, IUPUI has plans for an 8000 seat arena on campus.

Here's the way the Summit gets hurt badly: a Big East split and western conference changes (posted last week).

http://forum.siouxsports.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=434047

As far as the Summit, since it is a feeder league to the Horizon and Missouri Valley, it is entirely possible that it could lose the number of members required to maintain an autobid. For all we know now, the Summit may just be a mirage - it's autobid disappearing shortly after we join.

Big East split: large media privates Dayton, Xavier, Butler, St Louis to BB Big East

Atlantic Ten: adds the Horizon privates Detroit, Loyola, Valpo, and maybe even Ohio publics Cleveland St, Wright St to compensate for Dayton/Xavier

Horizon: adds IUPUI, Oakland, IPFW, and maybe even W Ill to fill Detroit/Indy/Ill holes

S Utah gone to Big Sky, ORU to Southland (with UTSA and TXST gone) or MVC (Ill St or Mo St gone)

The same type scenario happened to the Summit in 1994 and the Summit barely survived: it can easily happen again.

Suddenly, the Summit is down to 4-5 teams without UND, but needs eight. Effectively, the old NCC has to reform (adding UNO and others etc) for an autobid, and UND would have sold it's soul for a non-autobid conference.

Your doomsday scenario is wishful thinking. I know you're desperate to de-value Summit membership in anyway you can, but you're really reaching.

At most, Horizon would lose one member, probably Butler. In that case, adding IUPUI might be considered, but I think they could do better.

Conseco would not host every IUPUI home game, more wishful thinking.

Glad they have plans for an on-campus arena. UND has plans for an on-campus, retractable roof stadium. Plans are nice.

Personally have believe that the Summit League has wanted a team in the St Louis area for a number of years. St Louis would be the bridge or gateway between the eastern and western teams. The Summit wanted SIU-E, but SIU-E chose the Ohio Valley (likely because of all travel could be by bus). UM-SL was thought to be possible, but it's administration hasn't shown interest.

But there is another option: Lindenwood, in suburban St Charles which is currently NAIA but has nearly an enrollment of nearly 15,000.

Lindenwood wants to swap real estate for 9400 seat Family Arena in St Charles County St. Charles County has been losing money on the arena and wants out of ownership.

ticket625apr16.jpg

An NAIA school can no longer move directly from NAIA to DI. Lindenwood would first need to move to DII and spend five years at that level before moving to DI.

Lindenwood recently announced a move to DII. If they get the 9400 seat arena near their campus, a Lindenwood move to DI later this decade would be very likely.

Really nothing new here, but still:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/badgers/84822917.html

The list of 15 will have to come out eventually. Do you really believe that Texas isn't on the list? I also don't believe that they will not take run at Notre Dame.

I'd love to see the ACC announce that they're taking UConn and Syracuse to get the ball rolling. Maybe then the PAC 10 would swoop in and offer Colorado and Nebraska?

A fifteen team list that doesn't include Texas or Notre Dame? I'm not sure how that would work. Without those two they have to be reaching down from the current Big Ten pretty far (or cherry-picking pretty specifically).

Welcome to Division I:

The (U of Wisconsin) board also approved a spending authority of $88,588,800 for 2010-'11. That includes $83,088,800 for athletics, $3 million for University Ridge Golf Course and $2.5 million for coaches' camps and clinics.

Well, no hurry to change the nickname now. Summit just said UND missed the window for 2011-12(the year USD begins Summit play). Guess everyone can relax and let things play out at their own pace.

We also knew Douple would bend over backwards for us. :D Funny, just two weeks ago, the scheduling window closed this coming summer. Now it turns out it has already closed. Does anyone else catch a bad odor from this? :D

A year ago, I would have been upset by this decision.

Now, it shows that UND athletics, players, coaches, and fans have sacrificed for the Sioux name. I truly think the whole UND community will be better off by letting the process play out. Give the tribes the time and dignity to make a final decision at their pace, not the Summit's.

I know Bison fans especially will say the Sioux name will always be an albatross around the UND athletic program. But explain this: how has UND managed to obtain two successive invitations to CUSA's swimming championship. CUSA is an FBS league that has no members with an Indian nickname. Why would CUSA allow it, if the nickname taints a conference's reputation so badly?

As I've said before, the race is not always to the swift.

This should be viewed as "good news". There won't be the mad rush to change the name to satisfy the Summit in hopes that they ask UND to join.

The landscape is changing. Options will be available.

Edited by GeauxSioux

We also knew Douple would bend over backwards for us. :D Funny, just two weeks ago, the scheduling window closed this coming summer. Now it turns out it has already closed. Does anyone else catch a bad odor from this? :D

A year ago, I would have been upset by this decision.

Now, it shows that UND athletics, players, coaches, and fans have sacrificed for the Sioux name. I truly think the whole UND community will be better off by letting the process play out. Give the tribes the time and dignity to make a final decision at their pace, not the Summit's.

I know Bison fans especially will say the Sioux name will always be an albatross around the UND athletic program. But explain this: how has UND managed to obtain two successive invitations to CUSA's swimming championship. CUSA is an FBS league that has no members with an Indian nickname. Why would CUSA allow it, if the nickname taints a conference's reputation so badly?

Because CUSA is desperate for teams to fill out its tournament. They don't even have enough CUSA men's teams to award a conference championship(only two CUSA schools sponsor it).

There are arguments to support keeping the nickname, but that isn't one of them.