SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux lines

SIOUXELEVENS

Duncan-Toews-Porter (worked when Stafford went down last year)

Watkins-Oshie-Kozek - spread the wealth

Fabian-Kaip-Zajac Good defensive line but pots the odd goal here and there

Bishop-miller-Martens/Forney great fourth line with lots of energy

first powerplay unit Oshie-Toews-Duncan Lee-Chorney

Second unit Porter-Miller-Kozek Genoway-Radke

Sorry The TRIOUXPER this is as big of a rant that will happen :)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think he's talking about this weekend in general, but rather from here on in. Like I said yesterday, TJ needs to be centering a line, he will provide more oppurtunities with his face-off and playmaking/puck distribution skills. He would simply make another line that much better.

I don't think he's talking about this weekend in general, but rather from here on in. Like I said yesterday, TJ needs to be centering a line, he will provide more oppurtunities with his face-off and playmaking/puck distribution skills. He would simply make another line that much better.

gotcha............tj and jonathan should center lines then if healthy. tj won the majority of faceoffs last weekend i believe...might as well keep with it.

porter, toews (if healthy), duncan

kozek, oshie, watkins

fabian,zajac, kaip, forney (if he gets healthy)

bishop, miller, vandevelde, genoway

or maybe hak leaves them the same for 1 more weekend, i guess we will know soon

i personally think that martens should be starting every game, from what i see he is a very hard worker, and he has a wrist shot that can stump goalies much like toews and duncan, also he has some speed up the boards. IMO the most underrated sioux player

I'd agree Martens looked very good on Saturday. Lots of speed and plenty aggressive. It's hard to pick anyone to leave out, guess if Martens is in either Miller or Bishop has to sit (assuming Forney is still not ready).

I'd agree Martens looked very good on Saturday. Lots of speed and plenty aggressive. It's hard to pick anyone to leave out, guess if Martens is in either Miller or Bishop has to sit (assuming Forney is still not ready).

Or sit Genoway or VandeVelde...

Too many quality players shooting for that 3rd/4th line. I'm sure it's hard for Hakstol to pick out players to sit, which is probably why he's been rotating them around so much.

IMO Martens deserves to play over Vande Velde, Bishop, and Miller at this point based on the games I have seen. Maybe playing with Oshie will give Watkins and Kozek some more scoring chances. It is not exactly like playing with Zajac and Spirko last year so TJ's numbers might suffer some this year.....but hey you gotta play the hand you are dealt.

I agree with Martens being in the line up along with Miller and Bishop and mix Forney when he gets healthy. I have not been impressed with VanVelde and can't see why he plays over the others but I'am not the coach so I don't get a say in that. I also think we need to give Genoway some shifts at defense and at the point in powerplays.

IMO Martens deserves to play over Vande Velde, Bishop, and Miller at this point based on the games I have seen. Maybe playing with Oshie will give Watkins and Kozek some more scoring chances. It is not exactly like playing with Zajac and Spirko last year so TJ's numbers might suffer some this year.....but hey you gotta play the hand you are dealt.

I don't think it matters wheter his numbers are better or worse, but more importantly, will he have more of an impact, will it create opportunities for linemates, most importantly; can we win some more games.

I agree with Martens being in the line up along with Miller and Bishop and mix Forney when he gets healthy. I have not been impressed with VanVelde and can't see why he plays over the others but I'am not the coach so I don't get a say in that. I also think we need to give Genoway some shifts at defense and at the point in powerplays.

While I think I finally saw some improvement Saturday night, VandeVelde hasn't shown me anything that puts him above anybody else. Maybe he needs more time to adjust, but the needed quickness and speed just aren't there. A big body but that is it so far, IMHO. The others have all provided energy. Genoway and Bishop both show a lot of promise. Martens and Miller are second year guys that bring energy, speed, and hustle. Forney we will have to see when he gets healthy.

I have good vibes about Toews for this weekend (no link, inside info, or other). Unless he is at risk for further injury I believe that he will play. I base this on 80% speculation, 15% guess, 5% knowledge (ok, maybe a little heavy on the knowledge part).

I don't understand the bashing of VandeVelde. I was at both games, and in my opinion he was one of the best forwards for the Sioux on both nights. He really raised his game and tried to set the tone. Sure, he took that checking from behind penalty. But don't you think there was a reason he was still in the lineup on saturday? He played very well IMO. He deserves to be in the lineup because of that play. He looked much faster and confident this past weekend.

As for Martens dressing, he really hasn't shown a whole lot during games to show he should get to dress. He scored once, but thats about all he did. You all have to remember too that a lot of who dresses depends on the practices that none of us see. It's not just games.

I don't understand the bashing of VandeVelde. I was at both games, and in my opinion he was one of the best forwards for the Sioux on both nights. He really raised his game and tried to set the tone. Sure, he took that checking from behind penalty. But don't you think there was a reason he was still in the lineup on saturday? He played very well IMO. He deserves to be in the lineup because of that play. He looked much faster and confident this past weekend.

As for Martens dressing, he really hasn't shown a whole lot during games to show he should get to dress. He scored once, but thats about all he did. You all have to remember too that a lot of who dresses depends on the practices that none of us see. It's not just games.

I don't think people are bashing Vande Velde, just calling it as they see it. He is a step slow and needs to work on his skating. That is my observation. Needless to say I am no expert but that is what this forum is all about....calling it as we see it as fans. Hopefully he will continue to improve nad score some goals by the end of the year. Maybe some of us have too high expectations for some of the frosh this year. The good news is all of them will quite likely be 4 year players.

crosby- I agree with you regarding Vandevelde. He did play well.

Vandevelde is getting better and better with each game he plays, which poses an interesting condundrum. Chris started out really being slow and behind the game. Every game he plays he improves. So what do you do? Miller and Martens are already acclimated to the speed of the game. Bishop's playing style is making that transition swifter than Chris (even though the offense is about the same). Do you play the guys who are acclimated NOW and hope Chris develops later or do you make the attempt to help him develop by allowing him to play and taking the lumps early on (lumps being the penalties as he really hasn't caused any goals against).

I think Chris has the potential to really be a thorn in the opposition's side in a facet of the game that the Sioux haven't really had. Sure, we have snipers, playmakers, and grinders, but do we have a big man whose strength is parking himself in front of the net and deflecting shots like Vandevelde could develop into? Vandevelde, IMO, has the potential to be ultimate garbage goal collector. It's already apparent that he's not going to be as fast as Watkins, Bishop, or even Genoway. He doesn't have the playmaking skills of Oshie, Toews, or Duncan. But he could be someone like Tomas Holmstrom (to cite a Red Wings player) when it comes to the offensive zone. I think that would REALLY add something to the Sioux offense.

But everyone is right regarding the 3rd/4th lines. Every night we don't know who's going to suit up. We do have a lot of players who can play. I just think that Vandevelde's value is going to take some time to come out. He's not an impact player, especially for his freshman year thus far.

alright these are pretty close to everyone else's but here it is...

Toews, Duncan, Porter

Oshie, Kozek, Watkins

Kaip, Fabian, Bishop(I would just like to see his speed and strength on a line like this)

Zajac, Miller, Martens

PP1: Oshie, Toews, Duncan

D: Lee/Chorney

PP2: Watkins, Kozek, Kaip/Porter

D: Radke/?

alright these are pretty close to everyone else's but here it is...

Toews, Duncan, Porter

Oshie, Kozek, Watkins

Kaip, Fabian, Bishop(I would just like to see his speed and strength on a line like this)

Zajac, Miller, Martens

D: Radke/?

Are their two toews? Cause the one I know is hurt ???:glare: I agree though. Finley needs to be on a line that has more speed to, I think. I hope he starts finishing his checks soon.. It was pretty sad vs maine

A few years back we had the Red Pepper line of Massen-Fabian-Canady whose job was to grind it out and shut down the opposing team after we scored or when the opposing team sent out their top line. I think Kaip-Fabian-Zajac can be that line and chip in goals on occasion and shut down the opposing team. Kaip is a very good defensive forward who is being used in the wrong places IMHO, Fabian isn't the fastest skater out there either so why put him on a line with two speedsters like Martens and Forney.

Toews, Duncan, Porter Martens or Bishop or Forney or Vandevelde or Walski, basically anyone else would be better..

Oshie, Kozek, Watkins

Kaip, Fabian, Porter

Zajac, Miller, Bishop

D: Radke/Finley

Porter does not belong on a top line or on the power play....period!

Toews, Duncan, Porter Martens or Bishop or Forney or Vandevelde or Walski, basically anyone else would be better..

Oshie, Kozek, Watkins

Kaip, Fabian, Porter

Zajac, Miller, Bishop

Why all the hate for Porter ?

Oshie, Kozek, Watkins

Kaip, Fabian, Porter

Zajac, Miller, Bishop

I wouldn't have a problem with Porter instead of Zajac but no way should Kaip be on any powerplay, penality kill yes powerplay no. I say try Miller on the powerplay he seems to move the puck well and has some offensive upside.