SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs. Maine Saturday Game Thread

kfah1

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The net result of the weekend is that the Sioux can kiss a #1 seed goodbye... ???

i know what you are getting at but it is wayyy to early for this and who knows what the rest of the season will bring. just want to be i the top 10 and anything can happen. screw the rankings, lets win some games

The net result of the weekend is that the Sioux can kiss a #1 seed goodbye... ???

Way to early to give up or to earn any NCAA seeding; Maine has no more earned a 1 east seed than the Sioux have lost a 1 west seed. In fact, no one in the west stands out thus far.

Come on, it's waaay to early to think that. The gophers got off to a bad start last year losing at home to Fairbanks and losing three out of four points to Duluth. They dropped in the rankings from #1 to #11. They still got a #1 seed even after tanking the final five. It's only October, don't lose your perspective.

In 03-04 Maine started out the year 6-6 including losses to St. Lawrence, Northeastern...and a home sweep at the hands of North Dakota.

That year the team finished 20-13-7, and made the NCAA tournament. They lost in the regional semi-finals to UMN 1-0 in overtime at Mariucci Arena.

Our season is FAR from over. That Maine team lost to teams they really shouldn't have for being such a strong team. UND has not lost to anyone they shouldn't have. Maine is playing on a higher level right now. That will not be the case all year. Wisconsin did not look nearly as good this time around as they were last year. The Sioux will be fine as long as they work hard in every game.

I think Phil had a great weekend in Wisconsin, and got hung out to dry this weekend. Getting into the WCHA schedule will be tough, but not quite as tough as playing 2 top-3 teams right out of the gate.

In 03-04 Maine started out the year 6-6 including losses to St. Lawrence, Northeastern...and a home sweep at the hands of North Dakota.

That year the team finished 20-13-7, and made the NCAA tournament. They lost in the regional semi-finals to UMN 1-0 in overtime at Mariucci Arena.

Our season is FAR from over. That Maine team lost to teams they really shouldn't have for being such a strong team. UND has not lost to anyone they shouldn't have. Maine is playing on a higher level right now. That will not be the case all year. Wisconsin did not look nearly as good this time around as they were last year. The Sioux will be fine as long as they work hard in every game.

I think Phil had a great weekend in Wisconsin, and got hung out to dry this weekend. Getting into the WCHA schedule will be tough, but not quite as tough as playing 2 top-3 teams right out of the gate.

I agree. I think that this weekend was the first time the Sioux played poorly. It doesn't diminish Friday's loss nor excuse either losses, but really, the season isn't over. I was very upset with Friday's loss. One doesn't do as "good" as they did in the first period just to get outscored 6-1 in the next two periods.

I'd be much more upset if we had split vs. QU.

We'll be ok. I just hope that we get things in gear. It's one thing to be outplayed by a superior team (which UND was) but it was another to be outplayed while playing fundamentally unsound games especially in your own zone. That's what I saw on Friday.

I watch a bit of Saturday's UMN vs OSU game and I noticed just how crisp their passing was. I really think we could use passing skills like the Gophers displayed last night.

Didn't see any of tonight's game, but last night there was NOT a single goal that was Lammy's fault.

Plus, I still think this Maine team is superb and it isn't just the Sioux team that's gonna take a licking against them.

A goaltender coach would disagree. Lamie appears to have a weak blocker side. If I was coaching against him, everything would be going blocker side, 14 inches off the ice.

A goaltender coach would disagree. Lamie appears to have a weak blocker side. If I was coaching against him, everything would be going blocker side, 14 inches off the ice.

I understand your point about Phil having a weak spot as all goalie's do, but that doesn't contradict the fact that I don't believe any of the goals he allowed on Friday were his fault, which was the post you responded to.

I understand your point about Phil having a weak spot as all goalie's do, but that doesn't contradict the fact that I don't believe any of the goals he allowed on Friday were his fault, which was the post you responded to.

Goalies have to stop the puck. If Phil wants to get to the next level he has to start making those saves. We can try and stay politically correct here, but goalies know that if they want to succeed, they have to stop the puck.

As a coach, I would have been more upset by his immediate reaction to the goals. As a goalie you cannot let the other team know that you are rattled or frustrated. You must stay cool. Ron Hextall was not a good example.

Battling and not allowing guys into your area of the ice is key, however. In this case, Ron Hextall was a good example.

Maybe he has to get a little meaner and stronger at the same time.

Yeah, when the other team is skating circles and cycling like Maine did, and your defense is just grouped in the middle looking around for their assignments, how can you be expected to make a play. Maine executed to perfection when they scored. I think the ONE bad goal of the weekend was the first goal on Saturday. It may have deflected off the Dman's stick, but I imagine he could see it well. That one was low blocker, so maybe you're right Vegas.

Everything else was a result of great passing and pin point accurate shooting. Levellier (sp?) standing in front of the net with 2 defensemen draped on him, and the pass not only finds him but he gets a great shot off. That should not happen. It's the defense's responsibility to make sure that anyone in front of the net is taken care of and unable to catch passes or shoot. Three of the goals were scored on one-timers like that. On one goal Levellier finished a cycle by cutting to the net for a wide open shot from a foot away.

That is what I mean by the team hanging Phil out to dry. It's a team game, and honestly, if your team isn't scoring more than 2 a game you're going to lose a lot (or you better be DAMN good defensively (UW)).

With only scoring 6 goals in the past 4 games, you are not going to win many games in this league...We have a great line with Toews, Oshie and Duncan, but I believe they need to split them up and try to use them to develop some offence from the rest of the lines..A more balanced offence.....I would keep them together for the power plays, but we need some big time scoring to start soon!!

The question is will the "FIGHTING SIOUX" bounce back? My answer is yes. After getting our heads handed to us I know we can bopunce back from this past weekend I don't know about anybody else but I think we can do just that.

SIOUX FAN SINCE 1973

We all think that these losses are bad, no? Well, I'd hate to think what this week's practices are going to be like. ???

Here's a transcript of Erik Fabian's comments after Saturday's loss.

Question: Coach Hakstol thought the team played better tonight and deserved to win. Did you feel the same way?

Fabian: Well, yeah, I did. I thought everybody competed up and down the lineup. There wasn

Buried deep in the Saturday boxscore was this amazing statistic:

Faceoffs w l

OSHIE 21 5

http://www.fightingsioux.com/sports/mhocke...sp?GAME_ID=2279

Normally, Johnny! takes the faceoffs, but if Oshie can come close to 60% night-in night-out, that alone is reason to split Oshie and Toews. Starting play with an extra 10-15 possessions is really valuable.

Thoughts?

Buried deep in the Saturday boxscore was this amazing statistic:

Faceoffs w l

OSHIE 21 5

http://www.fightingsioux.com/sports/mhocke...sp?GAME_ID=2279

Normally, Johnny! takes the faceoffs, but if Oshie can come close to 60% night-in night-out, that alone is reason to split Oshie and Toews. Starting play with an extra 10-15 possessions is really valuable.

Thoughts?

I like both Oshie and Toews at the center position. Seems like one of them is out of place playing together.

Didn't see the sweep coming. At all. But I'll take it. And you had it coming, after that sweep at Alfond a couple years ago :)

That was 04-05 . . . but you're right - the point stands. They still made the tournament, taking the Gophers to OT @ the Mariucci regional.

FWIW, the start to 03-04 was a bit more promising, with a sweep of the Badgers and Gophers in one of the eraly tournaments. Personally, that season was more fun, even if it did end painfully: with a waved-off goal that prompted an offseason rule change and an eye-popping 6x3 that seemed to last an hour and a half but didn't amount to anything. No excuses that year, though, as we had the FF in our backyard, as opposed to the X or Wisconsin. Crazy to think how close 02 and 04 were. Thankfully, this team has a couple more scoring threats than the 04 BlackBears . . .