SiouxSports.com Forum

Any Concern?

Holdem

Is there any worry about this team? They opened strong but not spectacular. Then came the landmark win against UNI. After that its been a struggle. Western Washington could have won and Augi should have won. Mankato was a good win for you but the Mavericks were unimpressive. Now, UNO finally capitalizes on the average play that has plagued your team. The QB controversy isn't helping. Whats the deal?

Injury and inability to win today against Belmore and his inability to win will continue to be an issue with the QBs.

Bright spot, Dressler.

The type of game they played today, even though it was played well, isnt going to get them into the playoffs. USD is coming on strong. Getting better every week. UNO has climbed the mnt and now needs to play consistently. You guys seem to have plateaud a little early?

I think that the Sioux played well today.

What QB controversy?

I also thought the Sioux played very well - well enough to win and it hurts me deeply to say this but in my opinion the sideline managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Dale Lennon is an outstanding coach and knows more football in his sleep than I do in my best moments, but how can pass TWICE on the opportunity to put a team away? Fourth and goal in a tie game on the road (in a place where ND has not won since 1995) and settle for a field goal? OK, I will concede that getting the lead was important and away from the emotion of the moment probably the right thing to do (what did Omaha do fourth and goal in its first possession?). The second time the score was 17-14 and why you kick in that situation I will never fathom. If you go for it and score Omaha has to score twice; if you go for it and fail you put the game in the hands of your defense and leave Omaha 98 yards to cover; if you kick the field goal you put the game in the hands of your defense and Omaha has to cover whatever is left after the kick return - the three points don't mean much in that situation and only mean the margin of defeat is one point instead of four.

It is also true that Omaha got very lucky but damn it we have put ourselves into the situation where luck can play a part - they got lucky and blocked a punt, they got lucky and we turned the ball over 4 times. We have almost become a team that thinks three points from the 30 yard line in and try to not screw up the field goal position rather than making the kill. Defenses have to defend the end zone for three downs, not four and the third down play will be run to the center of the field to make the kick straight on.

I dislike Pat Behrns but he won this game on fourth and goal on Omaha's first possession - I love Dale Lennon but he lost this game on fourth and goal in our second to last possession.

I also thought the Sioux played very well - well enough to win and it hurts me deeply to say this but in my opinion the sideline managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Dale Lennon is an outstanding coach and knows more football in his sleep than I do in my best moments, but how can pass TWICE on the opportunity to put a team away? Fourth and goal in a tie game on the road (in a place where ND has not won since 1995) and settle for a field goal? OK, I will concede that getting the lead was important and away from the emotion of the moment probably the right thing to do (what did Omaha do fourth and goal in its first possession?). The second time the score was 17-14 and why you kick in that situation I will never fathom. If you go for it and score Omaha has to score twice; if you go for it and fail you put the game in the hands of your defense and leave Omaha 98 yards to cover; if you kick the field goal you put the game in the hands of your defense and Omaha has to cover whatever is left after the kick return - the three points don't mean much in that situation and only mean the margin of defeat is one point instead of four.

It is also true that Omaha got very lucky but damn it we have put ourselves into the situation where luck can play a part - they got lucky and blocked a punt, they got lucky and we turned the ball over 4 times. We have almost become a team that thinks three points from the 30 yard line in and try to not screw up the field goal position rather than making the kill. Defenses have to defend the end zone for three downs, not four and the third down play will be run to the center of the field to make the kick straight on.

I dislike Pat Behrns but he won this game on fourth and goal on Omaha's first possession - I love Dale Lennon but he lost this game on fourth and goal in our second to last possession.

And how about the horrible halfback pass call, the Sioux were moving the ball at will and 3rd and 4 on the UNO 15 and pitch pass is called. I don't get it and never will.

I think that the Sioux played well today.

What QB controversy?

I think the Sioux played well also. Let's not get too greedy and expect every game to be a Winona State type blowout. Look at the top 25 in the nation. The NCC has half of the conference rated. This is one tough conference to get through, and to lose by 1 point.....settle down. In 2001 and 2003 we had MANY games that were won in the very end (The name Jeff Glas comes to mind) that we could have and should have lost. I will admit that we struggle with the consistency, but overrall this is still a fun team to watch and we will be in every game we play. Let's be thankful we are in good hands with a solid staff, solid D, and an offense that can shows signs of greatness. Maybe give UNO some credit this weekend. After watching the gametape, WE LOST TO A BETTER TEAM THIS WEEKEND. If we play them again it will be a different game and a different result. Don't lose the faith! I remember 2002 when we were 5-6 and not very much fun to watch. We are 6-1 with 3 games left (2 of those 3 should be W's) and should make the playoffs once again. #2 or #3 in the region and still a top 10 team in the nation. I HAVE NEVER BEEN MORE PROUD OR SUPPORTIVE OF THE SIOUX!

No, there is no concern here. UND played the best they've played this season since the UNI game. After Manke went down and Belmore started filling in, the team played better in every week leading up to this game, and even better yesterday with Manke back at the helm. UND was #1 in the region and UNO was #2. We lost by one point due to a 4th quarter comback to the #2 team in the region that we always seem to have trouble with regardless of the year we are having and in a place where we haven't won a game in 10 years. Regarding the FGs instead of going for it, I think you have to do that in an important game like this when points may be at a premium. Our defense showed no signs during the first half that they could stop UNO's offense at all, regardless of where UNO was starting their drive from. Regarding some of the play-calling, I think that always has been and always will be an issue with Mussman as OC.

Please listen to what Cratter posted. Don't let an NDSU fan get you riled up and questioning this team. The only reason he is here is to stir the pot. He doesn't like UND and would like nothing better than to have UND fans discontented.

Not discontented and not worried - just frustrated that UNO can always find a way to beat us or we can find a way to open doors for them to do so. I want this monkey off our backs and thought we played well enough to it IF WE WERE WILLING TO GAMBLE INSTEAD OF ALWAYS PLAYING THE PERCENTAGES. 99 times out of 100 I will agree with the decision-making but I really don't see a difference between losing by 4 points or losing by 1 point and we set ourselves up for the loss by not going for the win.

Augi lost at your house by deciding on the FG too. The coaching calls are being questioned in other threads, making a point about the leadership. With over 200 yds rushing, UNO made a point about your defense. With well under 100 yds rushing they also made a point about your offense. Id say the week off will help.