SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs. Neb-Omaha Game Thread

fightingsioux4life

I too think that our D** conservative streak killed us. When they had fourth and goal, they went for it, when we had it we wimped out. Game over. Lennon and Mussman need to seriously re-evaluate their philosophy. It's killing us in tight games.

I could be wrong (don't know the stats) but doesn't UND have an unbeleivable record in close games over the last 6-7 years?

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This game was just another in a long line of games in the UND Omha series where Omaha gets all the breaks and ends up winning the game. I don't know what it is about Omaha, but every time they meet up with UND it seems like they get every single bounce of the ball.

I think this is an okay loss for the team. They have been playing mediocre the past couple of weeks, and hopefully this serves as a wakeup call. There is a lot of football left to be played this season.

Gosh its nice to have Manke back, he played well today. :)

I could be wrong (don't know the stats) but doesn't UND have an unbeleivable record in close games over the last 6-7 years?

Yes, so the previous comment really makes no sense, unless you state it as UND needs to change philosophy when going into a game against UNO.

Alrignt - I don't have the exact statistics and agree that the Sioux have won some close ones. It's just that the cpnservative philosophy and play selection drive me nuts some times. We don't have a lot of close games (or games that should be close based on talent) - but look at last year's Omaha game. In my opinion, we lost that one because of our conservative play selection and attitude towards trying to run the clock out. This year's game was very winnable. I feel that our offensive philosphy changes when things get tight and that it doesn't always work out to our advantage. We start playing not to lose instead of playing to win. In my opinion, going for it on fourth and one was a no brainer.

Alrignt - I don't have the exact statistics and agree that the Sioux have won some close ones. It's just that the cpnservative philosophy and play selection drive me nuts some times. We don't have a lot of close games (or games that should be close based on talent) - but look at last year's Omaha game. In my opinion, we lost that one because of our conservative play selection and attitude towards trying to run the clock out. This year's game was very winnable. I feel that our offensive philosphy changes when things get tight and that it doesn't always work out to our advantage. We start playing not to lose instead of playing to win. In my opinion, going for it on fourth and one was a no brainer.

I have been wishing and saying this for the last few years. My easy solution, fire the OC. Mussman has been blessed with some good talent on offense which is normally used for ball control. I imagine having an agressive quarterback like Manke drives him nuts. IMHO if we did not have such a solid defense the lack of talent by Mussman himself would have been magnified enough that he would need to shine that resume.

I have been wishing and saying this for the last few years. My easy solution, fire the OC. Mussman has been blessed with some good talent on offense which is normally used for ball control. I imagine having an agressive quarterback like Manke drives him nuts. IMHO if we did not have such a solid defense the lack of talent by Mussman himself would have been magnified enough that he would need to shine that resume.

:)

Agree with you on the 4th and goal. Omaha went for it early on 4th and goal and made it. UND has had success doing that this season, but didn't even try. Lennon is too conservative sometimes. I think on the road, in a place you haven't won in since 1995, you have to take risks like that. They didn't.

If we had went for it on 4th and goal and failed and lost the game, it would have been easier to swallow than this.

What I found so curious about the decision to take the field goal on 4th and goal from the 1 is why you go for the touchdown in this situation at UNI, but not at UNO? If ever there was a team against which you would think Lennon would want to be uber-aggressive and go against the grain, it's UNO. :)

What I found so curious about the decision to take the field goal on 4th and goal from the 1 is why you go for the touchdown in this situation at UNI, but not at UNO? If ever there was a team against which you would think Lennon would want to be uber-aggressive and go against the grain, it's UNO. :)

Good points. The first FG was one where you can't argue too much because we needed points. I thought we would go for it. The second one the problem was the HB pass. I don't think we had given that look to them in the running game. Without seeing that, and with that being the only play Strouth was in on , I don't think they bit. Dale said on the coaches show he maybe should have done something else.

Went to the game. Great Sioux crowd. Plenty of seats on the UNO side. A few plays hurt. Int. at the end of the half. Our receiver had some of his jersey stuck in the DB's hand and looked like he let up on his route to look for a call from the ref. Had he finished his route it may have been a TD but I doubt if it would have been an Int. cuz the DB made a hell of a catch. On the coaches show last night I watched it and it didn't seem as obvious. Tipped pass they got was big. Two phantom interference calls. One on Rory Manke when he tipped the ball away from the receiver in the end zone. He didnt' look back, but I was told there is no "face guarding" in college FB. Other than that it was a great play. Back judge who made the call, was the same one that threw his flag from about 30yds away on a "late hit" that was in front of the Omaha bench and there were two other refs right on the play who didn't call it. 2nd interference call was poor call with minimal contact that was probably initiated by the receiver and the ball was clearly OB. I would send a copy of the game film to the league. UNO had a great O-line and good QB. I would like to play them again who cares where. Great afternoon for FB. UND O-line did a very good job protecting Manke and opened decent holes for the running game. After the first series the defense did a good job. Not sure what happened to start the game. Good KO coverage, then three plays to get down the field.

Good points. The first FG was one where you can't argue too much because we needed points. I thought we would go for it. The second one the problem was the HB pass. I don't think we had given that look to them in the running game. Without seeing that, and with that being the only play Strouth was in on , I don't think they bit. Dale said on the coaches show he maybe should have done something else.

Went to the game. Great Sioux crowd. Plenty of seats on the UNO side. A few plays hurt. Int. at the end of the half. Our receiver had some of his jersey stuck in the DB's hand and looked like he let up on his route to look for a call from the ref. Had he finished his route it may have been a TD but I doubt if it would have been an Int. cuz the DB made a hell of a catch. On the coaches show last night I watched it and it didn't seem as obvious. Tipped pass they got was big. Two phantom interference calls. One on Rory Manke when he tipped the ball away from the receiver in the end zone. He didnt' look back, but I was told there is no "face guarding" in college FB. Other than that it was a great play. Back judge who made the call, was the same one that threw his flag from about 30yds away on a "late hit" that was in front of the Omaha bench and there were two other refs right on the play who didn't call it. 2nd interference call was poor call with minimal contact that was probably initiated by the receiver and the ball was clearly OB. I would send a copy of the game film to the league. UNO had a great O-line and good QB. I would like to play them again who cares where. Great afternoon for FB. UND O-line did a very good job protecting Manke and opened decent holes for the running game. After the first series the defense did a good job. Not sure what happened to start the game. Good KO coverage, then three plays to get down the field.

Yes, that halfback pass call really hurt. When you have a playmaking quarterback like Reed Manke, you absolutely have to have the ball in his hands in a crucial situation. I thought overall it was a pretty good day calling plays for Mussman, but that call was very strange.

After a few days to think about it, I am still sticking with my earlier statement that the coaches blew it by wimping out on 4th and goal.

The score was tied 14-14 at the half. UND takes the 2nd half kickoff and marches down the field, 13 plays 73 yards and now has 4th and goal from inside the one. If the defense had been dominate and was stopping UNO all game I might agree that a FG would be OK. The fact was that UNO was able to run the ball quite successfully and every indication at that point says that UNO will not be shut out in the 2nd half. By wimping out and settling for a FG, this had to be a letdown for the Sioux and a shot in the arm for UNO. UND had a 1st and goal from the five and ran three running plays (all with Brady) to get to inside the one. You have to be able to score a TD in this instance and if you can't or won't try then you deserve to lose.

There are times to be conservative and times where you need to make a statement (not only to the other team but also to yourself). IMO, this was the play of the game and a situation where a statement needed to be made.