SiouxSports.com Forum

William & Mary caves

PCM

From the Richmond Times-Dispatch:

W&M will drop the feathers from its athetics logo

William and Mary will drop the feathers from its athetics logo to comply with the NCAA's request, the school announced Tuesday.

The phase-out process will begin during the 2007-08 school year. The NCAA in 2004 identified W&M, whose nickname is the "Tribe," as a school with a logo or nickname that could be viewed as "hostile and abusive" in relation to Native Americans.

William & Mary press release

Gene R. Nichol, W&M's president, said "I will not make our athletes pay for our broader disagreements with a governing association."
So you'll capitulate.

Nice lesson.

He's an educator.

“We are required to hold fast to our values whether the NCAA does so or not.”

Tell me which those are again ....

A most stunning example of wanton cowardice, in my opinion. Get sodomized, labeled (as a hostile and abusive institution) and victimized (financially, reputationally), simply say it hurts and allow them to proceed. I'm glad I did not get my higer education at William and Mary.

Here's a more detailed story from the AP at Forbes.com:

William & Mary to Phase Out Indian Logo

"We're encouraged that they have made a move to discontinue use of the logo," NCAA spokesman Bob Williams said. "From the beginning, the NCAA instituted this policy not as punishment but to ensure that our own NCAA championships are free from Native American imagery."

This statement is pure bovine scatology. If all the NCAA wanted to do was make its championships "free from Native American imagery," it could simply have banned the nicknames and images from those events. Instead, it tacked on the punitive measure of prohibiting UND and other schools that didn't comply from hosting playoff games.

I hope the NCAA takes that position into court because I can't see any judge or jury buying it.

If that were really the case, they wouldn't have allowed any waivers such as were given to FSU and Utah. NCAA Championships will not be free from Native American imagery if waivers are given. What a load of crap. I agree, I hope they do take such a stand in court. Kupchella's statements about the NCAA being arbitrary and capricious will stand out.

Here's a more detailed story from the AP at Forbes.com:

William & Mary to Phase Out Indian Logo

This statement is pure bovine scatology. If all the NCAA wanted to do was make its championships "free from Native American imagery," it could simply have banned the nicknames and images from those events. Instead, it tacked on the punitive measure of prohibiting UND and other schools that didn't comply from hosting playoff games.

I hope the NCAA takes that position into court because I can't see any judge or jury buying it.

HAHAHA. Not meant to be punishment? That's simply laughable.

You know, I've been very cautious about this lawsuit because I've been operating under the assumption that the NCAA has high-priced lawyers who researched the issues and they are still very confident in their case. But then I read comments like this from Bob Williams and I think maybe they really have no idea what they're doing. I guess we'll see.

Moving on from NCAA decision, W&M will change logo

By Gene R. Nichol, president of the College of William and Mary

I am compelled to say, at the outset, how powerfully ironic it is for the College of William and Mary to face sanction for athletic transgression at the hands of the NCAA. The association has applied its mascot standards in ways so patently inconsistent and arbitrary as to demean the entire undertaking.

Meanwhile, across the country, in the face of massive academic underperformance, embarrassing misbehaviors on and off the field, and grotesque commercialization of intercollegiate athletics, the NCAA has proven hapless, or worse. It is galling that a university with such a consistent and compelling record of doing things the right way is threatened with punishment by an organization whose house, simply put, is not in order.

Those are powerful words, which unfortunately, will not be backed up by strong action.

From The Free Lance-Star:

Scalped

William & Mary plumage purged

DUKE UNIVERSITY is forced to suspend its men's lacrosse season after three players are indicted for rape following a raucous team party involving strippers. In Alabama, a sociology professor at Auburn University charges that academic fraud allowed 18 members of the undefeated 2004 football team to maintain playing eligibility. And all over the country, the commercialization of college athletics perverts the primary mission of America's academic institutions.

But in the face of these substantive issues, the NCAA is worried about--feathers. Feathers, specifically, in the athletic logo of the College of William & Mary.

And, no doubt, the NCAA isn't concerned one bit about the thuggery and gangsta-ness formerly known as the Miami/FIU football game from Saturday night. Nor should they be concerned about a former running back from The Ohio State University receiving benefits and a free pass his freshman year at college (I'm talking about you, Maurice Clarett). Issues like those are swept under the rug so REAL issues can be tackled. :)

The NCAA is everything that is wrong with society

From the file of tell us how you really feel. ;)

Yikes! :)

Is it wrong to agree with him on how he feels on this issue? :(

Without all the swearing however. :)

i personally loved this part:

I hope your employees, your families, your children, and your pets all contract a terrible disease and you die horribly. Then I'll come piss on your graves while wearing a W&M t-shirt.
:huh:

From WorldNetDaily:

BOYS NAMED SIOUX

Are feathers 'hostile and abusive' to Indians?

NCAA bans them in college logo, while students plan protest

The William & Mary College Young Americans for Freedom chapter will be distributing 25,000 feathers during the homecoming football game tomorrow in protest of the National Collegiate Athletic Association's ruling that two feathers appearing in the athletic logo are "hostile and abusive" to American Indians.

I'm not sure how "Sioux" made it into the headline, but I like the linkage. :silly:

Listed as similar topic, and also having Sioux in the headline, a two and a half year old article. I think world net must have adopted Boys Named Sioux, to use for this topic.

http://worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=38354

BOYS NAMED SIOUX

School with Indian name won't play 'Braves'

Cites policy, but University of Iowa ignores origin of its 'Hawkeyes'

Does "Hawkeyes," the nickname for the University of Iowa's athletics teams, refer to a character in a James Fenimore Cooper novel? Or does it honor Chief Black Hawk?

http://chronicle.com/prm/weekly/v50/i40/40a00502.htm

That's a nice little conundrum they've created for themselves. :D