SiouxSports.com Forum

Another one bites the dust

PCM

From the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette:

IUP seeks a new nickname

NCAA denies final appeal to use Indians; university could go nameless until March

IUP will begin the process of finding a new nickname next week to replace Indians because the NCAA denied the university's second and final appeal to continue using it.

IUP will not have an official nickname beginning next week and could be without one until the Council of Trustees meets in March.

IUP director of media relations Michelle Fryling said the nickname is more important than just a tag for IUP's athletic teams because it is also a valuable marketing tool and a symbol that the university is "showing and reflecting a commitment to diversity and respecting all groups. There certainly are strong opinions on both sides. A change in tradition is also difficult for people and they can be emotional."

IUP's cheeleading coach, Lia Holtz, suggested Bulldogs, with a live bulldog prowling the sidelines at fields and courts during games. Other suggestions were the Jimmy Stewarts, in honor of Indiana County's most famous native, hellbenders, grovers, coal miners, ridge runners, flying squirrels and crimson oaks.

I like hellbenders. Who wouldn't want to be a Fighting Hellbender? ;)

Pat Robertson would damn them to an eternity of Hurricane Katrinas, homosexuality (including gay marriage), and life among the Jews for such an abomination of a nickname :silly:

The JImmy Stewarts would be a disasterous nickname. Here come your Jimmy Stewarts? Wow, that's bad.

So for now they're gonna remain nameless. Hmmm, I wonder if this isn't some sort of smart tactic on their institution's attorneys part. "Let's wait and see what happens with the University of North Dakota. They have the balls to take on the NC$$ and we can ride in on their coat tails."

Do you think the NC$$ is going to make the school change their name and move out of their county, too?? :silly:

So for now they're gonna remain nameless. Hmmm, I wonder if this isn't some sort of smart tactic on their institution's attorneys part. "Let's wait and see what happens with the University of North Dakota."

Actually, I was thinking that Illinois and William & Mary might be taking the same approach.

• 2 weeks later...

A nickname that does not reference Native american culture ? "War Eagles", last time I checked the eagle was very symbolic in Native American culture. My whole point is that it may not be a name they want to pick as they may have trouble with that one as well. ??? After they have eliminated everything "hostile" and "abusive", what's to stop them from eliminating things that are "sacred" or "symbolic" ?

A nickname that does not reference Native american culture ? "War Eagles", last time I checked the eagle was very symbolic in Native American culture.

Isn't having the word "war" as part of a nickname rather hostile? ???

My whole point is that it may not be a name they want to pick as they may have trouble with that one as well. :lol: After they have eliminated everything "hostile" and "abusive", what's to stop them from eliminating things that are "sacred" or "symbolic" ?

It wouldn't surprise me a bit if such names were next on the hit list. Bison and Eagles, stand by to have your ox gored.