SiouxSports.com Forum

GF Herald Editorial Page

PartTime

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UND's official position was that competing against NDSU's teams with heavy scholarship advantages would not be beneficial to UND's student athletes. In 2003, when NDSU wanted to schedule fb games with, UND declined due to the negative playoff implications tied to playing out-of-division opponents. That was UND's official position. In retaliation, NDSU pulled the plug on baseball games that the two universities had agreed to play for multiple years after NDSU reclassified. Two years later, UND's athletic director proposed renewing the football rivalry. Gene Taylor's official position was quoted in the Forum and read "they've made they're bed, now they have to sleep in it." It is my opinion that NDSU's administration is the one that as behaved in a deplorable manner.

Are you serious? You may have had an excuse for the football situation, but what about the other sports? There were no playoff implications in BB or softball or vollyball. What you are saying might be a little more believable if it hadnt been for the outpouring of ill will from the university.

You have made your bed, now sleep in it.

Are you serious? You may have had an excuse for the football situation, but what about the other sports? There were no playoff implications in BB or softball or vollyball. What you are saying might be a little more believable if it hadnt been for the outpouring of ill will from the university.

Goodnight

What about baseball? That's what started this whole downfall about UND and NDSU not playing in any sports. When UND decided not to play NDSU in football, NDSU pulled the plug on its verbal agreement to play UND in baseball through its transition period. If UND had done the same thing to NDSU, do you think NDSU would be willing to play UND in all other sports after UND rescinded on a verbal agreement regarding a particular sport? I think not.

NDSU did play you in baseball after their move. I didnt see NDSU getting sued so Im sure no contract was broken when the Bison decided to play against teams in its own division and drop you. Possibly you have a copy of the contract?

Not playing NDSU hurt them, but they are past that. You may never recover if you dont get back on the Bison schedules. Its tough to be bigtime in this state without playing NDSU. I think the chances of seeing UMary in the Fabulous Fargo Dome and at the BSA are greater then seeing you guys. In fact I think UMary was in Fargo last year for a BB game?

But I digress. Carry on with the history rewrites. Please dont forget to explain the playoff ramifications of a DI NDSU on your BB, vollyball, softball and soccer teams.

NDSU did play you in baseball after our move. I didnt see NDSU getting sued so Im sure no contract was broken when the Bison decided to play against teams in its own division. Not playing NDSU hurt them, but they are past that. You may never recover if you dont get back on the Bison schedules. Its tough to be bigtime in this state without playing NDSU. I think the chances of seeing UMary in the Fabulous Fargo Dome and at the BSA are greater then seeing you guys. In fact I think UMary was in Fargo last year for a BB game?

But I digress. Carry on with the history rewrites.

Sooo, it's okay in baseball, because it was on NDSU's terms, not UND's. :silly:

I'll be brief:

1. These schools need each other on the schedule, so it's happening. Economic win-win.

2. With all due respect, NDSU isn't "big-time". UND isn't "big-time". Get over yourself.

NDSU did play you in baseball after their move. I didnt see NDSU getting sued so Im sure no contract was broken when the Bison decided to play against teams in its own division and drop you. Possibly you have a copy of the contract?

Not playing NDSU hurt them, but they are past that. You may never recover if you dont get back on the Bison schedules. Its tough to be bigtime in this state without playing NDSU. I think the chances of seeing UMary in the Fabulous Fargo Dome and at the BSA are greater then seeing you guys. In fact I think UMary was in Fargo last year for a BB game?

But I digress. Carry on with the history rewrites. Please dont forget to explain the playoff ramifications of a DI NDSU on your BB, vollyball, softball and soccer teams.

I edited my post. I stated "verbal agreement" at the beginning of my post and mistakenly put "verbal contract" at the end. Anyways, this statement of yours:

NDSU did play you in baseball after their move. I didnt see NDSU getting sued so Im sure no contract was broken when the Bison decided to play against teams in its own division and drop you.

Welcome to the world of one of the smack-talking NDSU fans on this board. You can always see it from your point of view, but you fail to broaden your point of view to think outside the box a little bit. Re-Read the post I highlighted of yours. It's ok for you to "drop us and play against teams in your division" but when we decline to play NDSU becasue want to play against teams in our division, that makes us the bad school here? I don't understand your reasoning and/or logic.

There is no problem with you backing out of the NDSU games. But why insist on playing NDSU now? They dont want to play you right now. They want you to lie in your own bed.

Why your AD and you fans are so excited about getting back on the NDSU Bison Schedules is easy to see. The Fabulous Fargo Dome is the largest venue in the State. You just dont get the attention up there. Hockey has great broadcast coverage but it doent get the coverage like BISON football, at least not in the Fargo Forum.

I would never say the hockey wasnt big. My point is the need for your football team and basketball teams to get to Fargo. This is the largest and most covered sports market in the State and you guys apparently need it badly.

There is no problem with you backing out of the NDSU games. But why insist on playing NDSU now? They dont want to play you right now. They want you to lie in your own bed.

Why your AD and you fans are so excited about getting back on the NDSU Bison Schedules is easy to see. The Fabulous Fargo Dome is the largest venue in the State. You just dont get the attention up there. Hockey has great broadcast coverage but it doent get the coverage like BISON football, at least not in the Fargo Forum.

I would never say the hockey wasnt big. My point is the need for your football team and basketball teams to get to Fargo. This is the largest and most covered sports market in the State and you guys apparently need it badly.

Responding to your first paragraph, if I were NDSU, I wouldn't play UND in any sports right now that could possibly hurt their playoff chances(i.e. football). NDSU is in the same predicament that UND was in 4(?) years ago when NDSU went D-1. It did more harm than good to play eachother. Looking ahead though, if everything pans out as some predict on here, if UND can get enough D-1AA football games in 2008 to be considered a D-1AAcounter(I think that's the right terminology) why wouldn't they want to play eachother? It's the best option for both schools and both cities.

As far as your quote about UND hockey not getting the same coverage in the Fargo Forum when compared to NDSU football, What did you really expect? Are you surprised by that? I would hope that the hometown paper of each particular school would choose to run more information on its particular school. That's pretty obvious to everyone I would assume.

Really? Since Fargo is such a hotbed for college athletics and it is the most covered sports market in the state, how many college football games played in Fargo were televised last year? Zero. How many college basketball games played in Fargo were televised last year? Zero. But there were about 30 college sporting events televised from Grand Forks last year. What were you saying about the most covered sports market in the state again? :silly:

The Fabulous Fargo Dome is the largest venue in the State.

And the quietest.

You just dont get the attention up there. Hockey has great broadcast coverage but it doent get the coverage like BISON football, at least not in the Fargo Forum.

HAHAHA. That is a classic statement. Can we archive that somehow?

I am sure that we would all be willing to give up the FSSN broadcasting dozens of games into millions of homes across the country if it meant that McFeely would be writting more articles about Sioux athletics in the Fargo Forum. :silly:

On one side of the coin....

I would expect NDSU, MSU Moorhead, and Concordia College to hold the edge in collegiate sports coverage in the Fargo Forum. They are the local teams in Fargo. McFeely and all really don't care about Grand Forks sports because Grand Forks isn't high on the Forum's reader area. It's THAT simple. It has NOTHING to do with whether or not UND or NDSU is the "better" or "more loved" collegiate institution.

On the flip side....

Hockey is VERY well covered all over the region. I read nearly a page and a half spread on the Sioux in the Star Tribune last April. IT focused upon the victory over SCSU. Now, why would the Star Tribune, a Twin Cities newspaper, dedicate that much room to two teams that don't "reside" in the Star Tribune readership area? Because it is big news.

The Forum has to keep in mind its reader community and, quite frankly, Fargo has more NDSU fans than UND fans. It is just how it is.

Well DakotaDan,

Look at the papers tomorrow. You will know what Im talking about then. The Fargo Forum is the largest circulation paper in the state in the state's largest city. Home of the NDSU Bison!! Wont be much hockey news tomorrow!!

Why would there be hockey news tomorrow when the season hasn't even started? Unless something significant happend, it should be a relatively quiet and uneventful weekend around the area involving college hockey. Your point doesn't make much sense right now again to me. You just keep repeating the same, obvious comments about the Fargo Forum. Should I start saying the same thing about the Grand Forks Herald? It's "Home of the Sioux!! Won't be much Bison basketball news tomorrow." Pointless.

PS-Please answer my questions. I await your response(s). Also, Don't start smack towards one guy when people have asked legitimate questions that you refuse to answer.

I think the fans from this board that have stepped up with a new attitude might be the future. I hope so. I really enjoy the camaraderie and sportsmanship of Division 1. NDSU had a big win tonight. Sit back and enjoy it.

Check out this link!

I have always believed that NDSU made the right move. And have always been congratulatory to NDSU's success since moving up. I believe that UND is making the right move at the right time. Each administration is expected to do what's best for it's university at the time that's best for it's university.

However, I am still not worried about the Forum's coverage of UND sports, including FB. NDSU had a big win today, I would expect it to be the top story in the sports section. I would be very suprised if it wasn't the top story on the front page. Yet, UND hockey still gets great coverage in the forum. UND FB might not get as much coverage in the Forum as NDSU FB, but UND hockey is right up there. Like it or not, there are alot of people from Fargo that follow UND. And the Forum knows it.

Good post.

Check out the Forum. http://www.in-forum.com/sports/

NDSU has the first five or six stories. Somewhere down past the old high school scores, the Valley City State game, and some other things is the UND game. Far more typical of hockey coverage.

Good win for you guys. Its a good win when you dont play your best. Sign of a real good team.

My county newspaper had a big write-up about the local high-school football team this weekend. Nothing about NDSU, though. ;)

Check out the Forum. http://www.in-forum.com/sports/

NDSU has the first five or six stories. Somewhere down past the old high school scores, the Valley City State game, and some other things is the UND game. Far more typical of hockey coverage.

Like Lefty and DakotaDan said, nobody here is shocked that NDSU's hometown newspaper has alot of coverage about NDSU football during football season, especially when they just beat a IA football team. :silly:

Really? Since Fargo is such a hotbed for college athletics and it is the most covered sports market in the state, how many college football games played in Fargo were televised last year? Zero. How many college basketball games played in Fargo were televised last year? Zero. But there were about 30 college sporting events televised from Grand Forks last year. What were you saying about the most covered sports market in the state again? :silly:

The way it sounds, if UND didn't force the FSSN to televise a couple of football & basketball games every year, they wouldn't. How many people turn on channel 44(or whatever it is) on a Saturday night in January to watch the Sioux play Augie in basketball? You could probably count them on two hands.

The way it sounds, if UND didn't force the FSSN to televise a couple of football & basketball games every year, they wouldn't. How many people turn on channel 44(or whatever it is) on a Saturday night in January to watch the Sioux play Augie in basketball? You could probably count them on two hands.

A Saturday Night in North Dakota in January, I'd say your estimate is most likely way off regarding the number of people who tune in to watch a basketball game. Let's see: Walk in -20 below weather to see a game or watch it from the confines of your 72 degree heated house. My guess is that a game like that on TV actually hurts attendance figures. But that's just me.

Sooo, it's okay in baseball, because it was on NDSU's terms, not UND's. :silly:

I'll be brief:

1. These schools need each other on the schedule, so it's happening. Economic win-win.

2. With all due respect, NDSU isn't "big-time". UND isn't "big-time". Get over yourself.

Talk about getting over yourself. You really think NDSU needs UND? Thats laughable.

Your second comment on the grand scheme of things is absolutely correct. Neither are or ever will be an Ohio State or UCLA.

Talk about getting over yourself. You really think NDSU needs UND? Thats laughable.

Your second comment on the grand scheme of things is absolutely correct. Neither are or ever will be an Ohio State or UCLA.

What's laughable is you not understanding the overall big picture of UND and NDSU playing each other, or you are not grasping it if you do understand it. Think of the economic impact for both cities when the teams play eachother and the added attendance(NDSU will not have a football game in the future that will consistently sell out like it would against UND). Like I've said before, open up your mind a little bit, look at the big picture of things instead of trying to shun UND because apparently NDSU is "that much better" and doesn't need UND. Whenever a NDSU poster says that, it just shows how ignorant they are to the big picture IMO.

The way it sounds, if UND didn't force the FSSN to televise a couple of football & basketball games every year, they wouldn't.

Do you have a link so that we ignorant Sioux fans could read where you found your information? :silly:

I see "force" as a large word and would like a little more validity of your statement please.

Or maybe you should try using IMHO a little more. ;)