SiouxSports.com Forum

Parise vs. Spiewak in the Hobey voting

Stack

I just voted for Hobey and checked the standings:

http://voteforhobey.com/vfh/standings_phase2.php

Can anyone tell me why Spiewak has more first place votes than Parise?

Talk about fans distributing the votes so no one from your team has a chance to win the fan balloting.

I can see a UND fan voting for Bochenski over Parise with his stats etc.

But to have Kevin Spiewak getting more first place votes than Parise is nuts.

I like Spiewak as much as the next guy but Hobey Baker Spiewak?

I don't have a problem voting for Kevin, I think he is a good selection, a great players, awesome defensive forward and has a knack for scoring big goals, I am not sure what type of student he is but I would assume he does well in the class room. Why not? I can't believe this is his fourth year already.

I have been voting for Zack, Brandon and Kevin in that order.

I've been voting for Notermann, Spiewak and Bochenski... Parise once in awhile.. He will have to do more than have a good freshman year to be the Hobey Baker winner...

I think Spiewak Notermann Bochenski have consistantly done the job year in and year out...

Zach is great but it is hard for me to vote for a freshman for Hobey.

By the way no Sioux is going to win the Hobey so let's just get after the WCHA playoffs and the NCAA's. I think team goals are more important than individual honors anyways..

I think Kevin Spiewak has been one of the great players in College Hockey the past four seasons.

???;);):p

Looking forward to him scoring some big goals in Denver this weekend.

Some people seem to have the logic of:

Last name Parise, First name Zach.

Forget him, I'll take Kevin Spiewak.

It's not that they dislike Zach but some people view Kevin's contributions to the Fighting Sioux hockey program as a lot greater since he's a senior and Zach is a freshman. Some times the casual fans don't notice Kevin's contributions the way they notice Zach's.

I don't want to be the bad guy here, but my number one vote has been going to Sejna. If this was a popularity contest I would be voting #1 for Speiwak with the rest going to UND players. In my opinion, Sejna is the best player in college hockey this year. The only person that I can think of that comes close to deserve to win is Priessing. I'd rather see one of them winning it then say someone from UM or BC. I'd love to see Zach or Brandon win it, but they blew it when CC swept UND!

Speez,

I have to diasagree with you. Voting for your favorite Sioux player is not the same as voting for a player on your team that has a legitamate shot at winning the Hobey Baker

Spiewak is a senior and has done a lot for the UND program. Is he the best player in the country or even the best player on this team? IMHO No. 

Spiewak is the 8th leading scorer on this year's team. He is a valuable cog of this team but Parise has more goals than Spiewak has points. Heck Noterman has scored 10 more points than Spiewak. I realize that Kevin kills penalties etc. but he doesn't have a chance at winning the Hobey Baker; Parise or Bochenski do.

Everyone votes the way they feel like it but it just seems like UND fans are wasting their votes.

Dickgraham,

Parise is ahead of Spiewak overall in points but Spiewak has more votes for first than Parise.

This has to be one of the silliest threads I have ever seen. If who a person votes for is meaningless because "no Sioux player is going to win it anyway" and a person can vote for whoever they want, then what it is the purpose of the fan vote or this thread?

I agree that you can vote for whoever you want, but an objective person cannot vote for Spiewak over Parise under any criteria other than that you like him better or because its popular to favor the underdog. I like Spiewak as well and he is one of my favorite players. However, to compare him to Parise in ability or value to the team is laughable and lacks credibility. Voting for Spiewak over Parise is similar to voting for Brad Defauw over Jeff Panzer, Adam Calder over Jason Blake, Justin Duberman over Greg Johnson or Mark Pivetz over Curtis Murphy. If you don't agree and want an objective view, post on any board of any other WCHA team and see if Spiewak gets mentioned among the top 10 players in the league, and do the same with Parise. Or, ask Hennessy or Bredahl, people who seem them every week. Parise is a legitimate Hobey Baker candidate, and may be the only Sioux who will make the final list [bochenski is a possibility]. He may not have a great chance because of Sejna and because he's a freshman, but he's in the conversation at least.

It appears to be politically correct to find fault in Parise's game or to minimize his achievements, but this is the best freshman I have ever seen in a Sioux uniform in over 30 years of watching Sioux hockey. Enjoy him while you can! ???

I miss Adam Calder. I guess Notes has pretty much been in that role for a while now. I think Prpich is Notes's heir. Tough, plays big but isn't, good offensive ability but it comes in flashes... did I mention tough?

Spiewak, Notes and the Hale boys have earned a special place in Sioux history for bridging the gap between eras. If only Ryan Hale could finish.

If Parise stays for his junior and senior season, I'll vote for him every time to the site. Same with Bochenski.

For now, I'll vote for the obvious team leaders and upper classmen. Spiewak, Notermann, and D. Hale (can't leave out the leader of the D). Don't care either that the Hobey is supposedly a one year award, they get my vote for career contribution to the Sioux.

It's always a long shot that any Sioux get the Hobey; just don't have the media coverage that those in the major cities do. Hrkac had to totally blow the competition away in points to win, the Sioux will not have a winner this year.

However, if somehow the leaders of the Sioux get recognition by becoming a finalist, that will be good enough for me. It will be a tough final few weeks of the season this year, and without that leadership, the Sioux could mail it in now.

Sprig--As I stated before, you can vote for whoever you want to, but don't complain that Sioux players don't get respect. Sioux fans have no one to blame but themselves if they do not vote for the one legitimate candidate and vote for someone like Spiewak that will be perceived as not a legitimate candidate by anyone who is not affiliated with UND. It is baffling that UND fans as a whole have repeatedly come to the defense of Parise when fans of other teams try to minimize his accomplishments and talents, and now certain fans that have a chance to push him to the top of the fan vote refuse to do so when given the opportunity. Please do not cry now or in future years when the rest of the country does not take Sioux fans seriously.

I voted and voted for Jeff Panzer and he didn't win. They gave it to a Sophmore Goalie from Michigan State. At the time I thought it was wrong I think it is not good to give the hobey to such a one or two year contributor vs a 3 or 4 year player as the young player's body of work has not passed the test of time time.

Also, Zach Parise is a great player. I mean no offense to him, I think this award should be for a player who did the whole deal played all four years or at least three years and contributed each year to college hockey.

This is just my opinion. Go Spiewak!! Go Senja!! Go Priessing!! these guys have done it for 3 or 4 years..

I would like it to be an award for a senior. ???;);) Again just my opinion for what it is worth...

Give Parise and Bochenski a year or too (assuming they stick around) and they will be at the top of that list. As for this year Peter Sejna is playing insanely well.

I like Spiewak as much as the next guy, but I don;t know if he has the numbers to win a hobey, but hey you never know!.

Pssst...you guys want in on a little secret?

The fan voting means basically jack. Take a look at Kunitz...he's not going to win it, he's a top 10 candidate, but I wouldn't even put him in the top 3. Yet, he is in the top 3 in fan voting...which is why fan ballots mean nothing.

Take Vince Carter, playing 10 games, and getting voted into all star game. Fan voting is flawed, which is why it doesn't really matter who you vote for as long as the player you think deserves it makes it into the 2nd round.