SiouxSports.com Forum

UND football may need a bigger arena

The Sicatoka

This should draw them out of the woodwork ....

UND now is the (Alerus) Center's biggest tenant, but given the university's NCAA Division I athletic plans, the center might not be big enough in the future, according to Phil Harmeson, both a commissioner and associate to the university president.

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/15393926.htm

That headline on the front page of the Herald had me going until I read the rest of the story.

Alerus Center officials aren't yet worried because they say that's the university's thinking in the long term.

"The center is a short-term solution to their long-term needs," commission chairman Randy Newman said.

Harmeson and commissioner Curt Kreun said short term meant something like 15 to 20 years.

After that period, if the fans are there, the Fighting Sioux will need a bigger house.

A new stadium is a possibility, Harmeson said, but not an inevitability.

More fun reading on the topic at

http://gfheraldcitybeat.blogspot.com/2006/...other-dull.html

Then the discussion started to sound weird.

Randy (Newman) was talking about how the "the center is a short-term solution to their (UND) long-term needs."

Commissioner Phil Harmeson, whose day job is as associate to the university president, said "we don't have a problem with the Alerus" but are doing really long-term planning.

Randy added that "15 to 20 years from now, football may not be part of the Alerus Center."

What??

Phil explained that to get to UND's goal of being a major football powerhouse, it has to go to Division IA, the top of Division I. To do that, it has to average 15,000 attendees a game and to average that much, Harmeson said UND would need 30,000 to 40,000 at major games to make up for lower attendance at minor games. Right now, the center maxes out at 13,500, so there's no way that's gonna happen.

I'll copy my comment from a thread I started on the Alerus budget (before seeing this one):

Also nice to see some long-term thinking out of UND on the athletics front. Though the increased attendance goals will undoubtedly draw some criticism, it won't happen if you don't try and when long-term means 30 years and when "important games" could mean a I-A foe instead of Minn.-Crookston, who knows.

Agree a stadium is a ways out (if ever), but what would be the attendance with unlimited seating of:

UND/NDSU game ? Would 30,000 be possible?

UND/Montana game? 20,000?

This would be a stretch, but what about, if the NCAA allows Canadian schools in, a UND/Manitoba game?

If Winnipeg's proposal for their semi-enclosed, electrically heated-seat 30,000 seat stadium gets built, Mr Ledowhoski and Co. may be looking for additional tenants while U of Manitoba may be looking to keep up with UBC.

15bp2.jpg

People, "long term planning".

It's better to think big in a long timeframe and have a plan and end up maybe not needing it rather than not planning ahead and getting caught with needs and no plan to meet them at some later date.

It's fun to read, but read it for what it is: long-term speculation and musing.

Wow. It's a big leap from Division II to Michigan, Alabama, Texas, USC, Notre Dame, and Tennessee. Just ask the University of Buffalo.

Claiming they think UND is Michigan is a little unfair, no one targeted 100,000+ in attendance. Nor is he looking for 30k/game average (in the neighborhood of Boise St., Colorado St., Wake Forest). He's saying having a big game at 30k+ could put UND above 15k/game (in the neighborhood of Nevada, Tennessee St., just 1000 more than NDSU). Not to mention that we're talking over 20 years from now.

A Sioux/Bison game in Fargo has drawn 19000 (or whatever a FargoDome sellout is). I don't see why averaging 15k+/game (with a 30k+ game) in 30 years would therefore be impossible. The biggest obstacle is that the N.D.'s population seems to be moving the wrong direction.

I don't see why averaging 15k+/game (with a 30k+ game) in 30 years would therefore be impossible.

C'mon Jim, thinking that is like thinking UND could be consistently #2 in the nation in average attendance in mens ice hockey and have and fill an 11500 seat rink in Grand Forks. You know we can't do that either. ;)

A Sioux/Bison game in Fargo has drawn 19000 (or whatever a FargoDome sellout is). I don't see why averaging 15k+/game (with a 30k+ game) in 30 years would therefore be impossible. The biggest obstacle is that the N.D.'s population seems to be moving the wrong direction.

That's a pretty big obstacle. Not to mention that I'm sure the folks at Alerus are happy with being labeled a "short-term solution".

That's a pretty big obstacle. Not to mention that I'm sure the folks at Alerus are happy with being labeled a "short-term solution".

Not too unhappy. They are the ones saying it.

Alerus Center officials aren't yet worried because they say that's the university's thinking in the long term.

"The center is a short-term solution to their long-term needs," commission chairman Randy Newman said.

Isn't anyone concerned about the statement "If UND wants to reach its goal of being a major football powerhouse, we have to go IA." Since when is this a stated goal.

I bleed green as much as anyone, but this is insane. UND is never going to be Michigan, Tennessee, Miami or USC. North Dakota is simply too small a state to devote the funding that would be needed to be successful at that level.

The Alerus is fine as is, and could likely be expanded by adding seating on the south end if the magical 15,000 seat mark was needed.

Upgrading the basketball program and trying to be a George Mason or Gonzaga is a much more realistic goal than thinking a run at the BCS is possible.

This really made the front page this morning? Seems to me that it's a non-story. It's just a group of people shutting the door and brainstorming, which is good. It's like saying the Twins may need a new home by the year 2040 or the Sioux hockey team may need a new place by 2030 (probably not). As for D-IA, I agree with Let'sGoSioux that Grand Forks has to deal with shrinking demographics and a sluggish business climate first.

i mean i think someones jumping the gun but than again what do ik ;)

Certainly not how to form a coherant sentence. Your English teacher should be strung up by her thumbs.

I tell ya PCM....kids these days. Can't even understand them! Back in my day.....

It's like saying the Twins may need a new home by the year 2040 or the Sioux hockey team may need a new place by 2030 (probably not). As for D-IA, I agree with Let'sGoSioux that Grand Forks has to deal with shrinking demographics and a sluggish business climate first.

And trust me, they will...Target Center is not even 20 years old and Glen Taylor has been calling for substantial upgrades for several seasons now.

Isn't anyone concerned about the statement "If UND wants to reach its goal of being a major football powerhouse, we have to go IA." Since when is this a stated goal.

I bleed green as much as anyone, but this is insane. UND is never going to be Michigan, Tennessee, Miami or USC. North Dakota is simply too small a state to devote the funding that would be needed to be successful at that level.

The Alerus is fine as is, and could likely be expanded by adding seating on the south end if the magical 15,000 seat mark was needed.

Upgrading the basketball program and trying to be a George Mason or Gonzaga is a much more realistic goal than thinking a run at the BCS is possible.

I agree, IA football at UND doesn't interest me in the slightest bit.