SiouxSports.com Forum

NCAA ice surface

sprig

Buffalo

Worcester

Providence

Yost

Mariucci

Above are the regional and FF sites. Anyone know if all but Mariucci are NHL sized surfaces? Appears just Mariucci is Olympic size. Good for the Sioux, as long as they avoid playing at Minnesota. Would appear CC and MN would be the WCHA teams there. Which means it would likely be better to get sent east than play in the Yost with Michigan.

Lots more business to take care of, however, before worrying about that.

I really don't think the Sioux will be in MPLS unless they get back to a top 4 PWR team, or the Gophs fall either out of the tourney or a #12 - #14 PWR team.

They won't put two WCHA teams against each other in the first round. I really hope CC goes to Michigan and some eastern team comes to Mariucci as the top seed.

As for the Sioux, I think they would have their best chance out east.

I think after the skating they did today, their best "chance" will come anywhere. I'd have to say I believe they have learned what it's like to take one in the shorts. I think with sagard's comments, we can tell that he is not a real Sioux fan, but more of a "the glass is half-empty" type of fan. However, I think the Sioux will pick it up in the home stretch and finish the season out strong. My feelings were stung a little on the loss to MTU as well, but I'm not counting on the Gophers to determine our fate. I think we should all pull together and have a little Faith in our boys. So, let me stress again, that I do have Faith in our Fighting Sioux, and that their best chance will come ANYWHERE!!!! In fact, I don't like the word chance at all....not even in MONOPOLY ??? !

I think after the skating they did today, their best "chance" will come anywhere.  I'd have to say I believe they have learned what it's like to take one in the shorts.  I think with sagard's comments, we can tell that he is not a real Sioux fan, but more of a "the glass is half-empty" type of fan.  However, I think the Sioux will pick it up in the home stretch and finish the season out strong.  My feelings were stung a little on the loss to MTU as well, but I'm not counting on the Gophers to determine our fate.  I think we should all pull together and have a little Faith in our boys.  So, let me stress again, that I do have Faith in our Fighting Sioux, and that their best chance will come ANYWHERE!!!!  In fact, I don't like the word chance at all....not even in MONOPOLY ??? !

Sorry I wasn't more clear. I am a Sioux fan only! I am telling you that the Sioux will be the top seed wherever they go, stats backing us or not, because the season isn't over. Yes, I'm glad your Gophers won against CC, only because it helped our Fighter's. But as far as your #1 & #2, let me put your thoughts into perspective for you. "#1", The sioux are not CC, and the "Gophs" as you so unproudly state their name are lucky. Sub#1 I've never heard "Gophs" and this is not their name. You should be happy that our Fighting Sioux struggled against MTU, only because your team got more of a chance as our team learned what true winners are made of. Plus, you might want to revise your #2. "#2", You may want to look at our Fighting Sioux's record on the road...... Hmm, let's see, Boy, I think they've done better than one may think!

Now, your hopes for the Gophers, not "Gophs", to meet the Fighting Sioux in Buffalo only shows ignorance. Look, the Sioux have been vulnerable in the past.....only on a few occasions......but here in North Dakota, we learn from our mistakes/experiences. So, I'd put anyone against our boys, Buffalo or Anywhere, and I think you'd get the same result. I'm not tough because I'm on screen, but I do have a strong opinion! I really think the Gophers are a good team. However, I don't sit on the fence year-to-year. I am genuinely proud of Jordan Leopold....and only because he comes from my neighboring state. So, because I am ONLY a Sioux fan, don't hate me. We all have to have our strong emotions about something....and I have many....But I will follow Sioux hockey until I die. In fact, I'm glad you have STRONG opinion about the Gophers. But, I think the folllowers of all other teams are hoping that the MTU victory is "classic" of the future of Sioux Hockey for 2003. I'm just making the let-down for the Frozen-Four a little easier for everyone. In fact, Congratulations on last years accomplishments...I have the memorabilia...but this is a new year.....and with the talent in D-1, we all have to accept the facts. With a total package, the Sioux can withstand everything, and currently, we are lacking in a few areas, but I wouldn't count us out in Buffalo....or before.

I have to

sagard,

Thanks for posting. You are welcome here. Of course, you may not want to any longer, now that you have been revealed to be not a real Sioux fan.

I think I would think the same thing about CC and UND if I were in your shoes. As a Sioux fan, I think UND's chances are best at any of the small ice sites, as I like their game better there. Of course, I'd get to watch them if they were at Mariucci, but that's just selfish on my part.

Hopper,

Thanks for posting also. Please lighten up just a touch. A Gopher fan should be able to come here and call his team the Gophs.

Sorry I wasn't more clear. I am a Sioux fan only! I am telling you that the Sioux will be the top seed wherever they go, stats backing us or not, because the season isn't over.

The Sioux will most likely need to win the WCHA tourney if they want to be a top seed in any of the regions. This is due to their RPI being somewhat lower than other teams with similar records. Reguardless, I think the Sioux have a great chance at getting to Buffalo. I just think that their best chance is to go through an Eastern regional.

Similarly, I think the Gophs best chance is to avoid CC at the Mariucci regional. Playing opponents that play their home games on regular ice would also help the Gophs chances. Especially if it is against a CCHA or HE team that doesn't play on the big sheet that often.

The way the brackets are drawn really does play a part in who wins the tourney. If the Gophs would have beaten DU in the WCHA Playoffs last year, they would have drawn Michigan in Yost and probably lost as well.

The Gophs last year in my opinion were like the '97 Sioux team. They had a great team, but the bracket really opened up for them as well missing DU and UNH.

As long as CC keeps winning, they will likely be the #1 seed at the West Regional in Minneapolis and if the Gophs make the tourney as they should, the NCAA will likely place them in the West Regional for financial reasons.

Right now UND is #6 in the Pairwise rankings, which makes them a likely #2 seed, but not in the West Regional.

If the season ended today, insidecollegehockey.com sees the regionals as follows:

http://www.insidecollegehockey.com/section...polls_0119.htm#

Here's the insidecollegehockey.com list:

Providence:

1. Boston College

2. New Hampshire

3. Ferris State

4. Denver

Worcester:

1. Maine

2. Cornell

3. Boston University

4. Mercyhurst

Ann Arbor:

1. North Dakota

2. Michigan

3. MSU-Mankato

4. Michigan State

Minneapolis:

1. Colorado College

2. Minnesota

3. Ohio State

4. Alabama-Huntsville

Assuming 1-4 & 2-3: I'd hate to face MSU & U-MI back-to-back in Ann Arbor. If this pans out it will a tough road for the Sioux. It could also be tough for the WCHA top team CC, as playing MN at Mariucci is probably not an enviable postion either. Again, assuming this pans out and that is doubtful.

Most interesting tidbit from this list - find JBSU. ???

I honestly cannot figure out INCH's methodology for their "4x4":

* How does SCSU with a #8 PWR not make the field at all, while Michigan (#12) and Michigan State (#17) do?

* Ferris sent East as a #3 seed (I guess the thought it that Michigan St will be more of a draw than Ferris in Ann Arbor)?

If they're trying to predict the future (SCSU is going to slump out of the tournament), fine, but that is NOT how the tournament would be seeded if the season ended today.

The only sure things are:

IF Michigan makes it, they will play in Michigan.

IF Minnesota makes it, they will play in Minnesota.

Our best hope would be to be sent to Ann Arbor to play in a field that doesn't include Michigan or Michigan State (quite possible, at this point). We seem destined to be in a bracket with at least one WCHA team if we make the tournament.

The only sure things are:

IF Michigan makes it, they will play in Michigan. 

IF Minnesota makes it, they will play in Minnesota.

You missed two.

IF Boston University makes it, they will play in Worcester.

IF Providence College makes it, they will play in Providence.

(Hosts play at their sites if they make it.)

Assuming 1-4 & 2-3: I'd hate to face MSU & U-MI back-to-back in Ann Arbor. If this pans out it will a tough road for the Sioux. It could also be tough for the WCHA top team CC, as playing MN at Mariucci is probably not an enviable postion either. Again, assuming this pans out and that is doubtful.

Most interesting tidbit from this list - find JBSU. ???

I was thinking if you have to go to MI this might be the year to do it, though.

Maybe I'd rather go there than Mariucci against the gophs.