jimdahl

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stated,

"I believe that hockey is a detriment to UND in their move to DI."

There is a difference.

So by that twisted logic, football at NDSU is a detriment to their MidContinent move.

The University of Florida is never going to be anything but a football school. In basketball, they've been a basket case - always have been, always will be. (heard this from a Florida fan years ago).

There are limited sports entertainment and scholarship dollars in any market. And based on comments out of Grand Forks it appears those dollars are reaching a plateau.

So where's your research? BTW, an indoor football league disagress with your half-assessment.

This research says Grand Forks (excluding Sioux fan support in Fargo as well as the rest of North Dakota and Minnesota) is just as capable to support a DI school as the markets that support DIA Arkansas State, DIA Louisiana-Monroe, and Montana. Arkansas State and Louisiana-Monroe have very little state-wide support whereas UND does . So your idle speculation and hearsay fail due to lack of facts.

How cities rate for sports expansion

If UND didn't have hockey, which makes up about half of its athletic department's budget, with the same amount of funds they'd likely be able to afford the move.
UND hockey gets a good fraction of its ticket and suite sales from Fargo, including Bison fans. If UND hockey hurts any school's athletic budget, its actually NDSU's, as UND hockey takes a large fraction of the Fargo-Moorhead entertainment dollars, while NDSU's penetration of the Grand Forks market is practically nill.

This argus article states a few schools budgets and UND's budget without hockey for 04-05.

Argus Leader

The Argus shows UND athletic expenses at $4,700,873 without hockey. Using the figures from OPE for total athletic expenses of $9,958,728, would mean that the expenses for hockey are $5,257,855. I admit that I don't know the inner workings of UND's athletic budget, but does it sound right to anybody that the hockey expenses are a half million dollars higher than the expenses for everything else?

Aff, I'm not shooting the messenger here, just trying to get answers.

So by that twisted logic, football at NDSU is a detriment to their MidContinent move.

Make that move to DI and I'd agree to some degree.

Exception 1: There is still room for growth in Fargo-Moorhead with respect to fans and corporate sponsorships.

Exception 2: Football is the college 'glory sport'. The Mid-Con Commish has stated that they have special interest in members that sponsor football!?! Doesn't make too much sense as the conference doesn't sponsor the sport, but that's their perogative.

So where's your research? BTW, an indoor football league disagress with your half-assessment.

This research says Grand Forks (excluding Sioux fan support in Fargo as well as the rest of North Dakota and Minnesota) is just as capable to support a DI school as the markets that support DIA Arkansas State, DIA Louisiana-Monroe, and Montana. Arkansas State and Louisiana-Monroe have very little state-wide support whereas UND does . So your idle speculation and hearsay fail due to lack of facts.

UND hockey gets a good fraction of its ticket and suite sales from Fargo, including Bison fans. If UND hockey hurts any school's athletic budget, its actually NDSU's, as UND hockey takes a large fraction of the Fargo-Moorhead entertainment dollars, while NDSU's penetration of the Grand Forks market is practically nill.

That's gf greatest weakness. It's a college town, will always be a college town and is inbred with only one thought and opinion.

practically nill.

So UND is going to add a pro-franchise? That's what the link you provide refers too.

My opinion is based on the comments of UND's athletic department, but you're right, what do they know?

Thanks, your explanation of the distribution of scholarships on the women's side is helpful. I had not previously heard that 22 scholarships had been added on the women's side.

good explanation of the womens ships but are you telling me they didn't add any ships to mens bb, mens golf, mens track and field.....just wondering but I think they did

The Argus shows UND athletic expenses at $4,700,873 without hockey. Using the figures from OPE for total athletic expenses of $9,958,728, would mean that the expenses for hockey are $5,257,855. I admit that I don't know the inner workings of UND's athletic budget, but does it sound right to anybody that the hockey expenses are a half million dollars higher than the expenses for everything else?

The Argus does match UND's DI Report.

The OPE has a different accounting mechanism on their form than most schools use.

Based on UND's report hockey (M/W) expenses were $3,917,735 (and revenues were $4,432,811).

Given that this is less than a month after announcement, specific answers are not yet available. UND plans to do this as a marathon, not a sprint. Patience.

But, since it is the burning question, let's get the answers from the man who would never move UND to DI. :D

"We will use this coming year, 2006-07, to develop a business plan and to begin building a financial foundation to support the move - both necessary to enhance the support base among all UND stakeholders,

good explanation of the womens ships but are you telling me they didn't add any ships to mens bb, mens golf, mens track and field.....just wondering but I think they did

Thanks, Bigdog. +3 for mens' bb. none extra for track, I don't think the Bison added one for men's golf yet.

Based on the growing market.

and the fact that the bison in fargo are not nearly as popular as the sioux in grand forks. there's a lot of people who generally "dont care" about ndsu. grand forks is a town that rallies around UND's sports... fargo is just a town with a college that some people support.

Besided the "don't cares" NDSU quietly has to deal with not being the only game in town (F-M).

Concordia is a very quiet giant in the F-M area (many powerful supporters and alumni) and MSU-Moorhead, well, at least they try. :lol::D

and the fact that the bison in fargo are not nearly as popular as the sioux in grand forks. there's a lot of people who generally "dont care" about ndsu. grand forks is a town that rallies around UND's sports... fargo is just a town with a college that some people support.

Yes isn't it nice to have a choice. There's no diversity in gf and that's why it's stagnate.

Back to budgets, the point of this thread I guess:

How do the varioius schools (in question here) account for construction, and interest, and debt payments, on various athletic facilities? Do the schools all account the same way? Do some account for payments on athletic facilities in the athletic budget and others in the "general facilities" budget of the school?