SiouxSports.com Forum

UND declaring internal Division 1 move

D1sioux

A reliable "inside source" stated that the President...not Bush stated that UND athletics would make a internal move this school year....to see if the money will be there for a move to D 1....if it is, then the next year will be a exploratory year....interesting change of events....comments??

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A reliable "inside source" stated that the President...not Bush stated that UND athletics would make a internal move this school year....to see if the money will be there for a move to D 1....if it is, then the next year will be a exploratory year....interesting change of events....comments??

with all due respect, what the hell is an 'internal Division 1 move"?

I don't see the latter part of your post as a "change of events", but rather as the logical next step in the process.

Or maybe CEK's way of telling folks, "You've told me the money would be there, show me."

That has to be a major reason. But why would have UND asked for the July 1st extension to declare an exploratory year?

But it also implies a number of other issues: a conference affiliation isn't depedent on an immediate decision, there's no 'hard' monetary commitments, the lack of postseason hosting for the next two years isn't a major consideration, and the football alumns seemingly don't have that much pull.

If true, this is insanely stupid... that is precisely what the "official" exploratory year is for.

I have talked to two NCC athletic directors in the last week and both of them have told me that the biggest mistake UND could make is to say "we're going D-I, but not for another year or two" because another year of waffling around a) hurts recruiting and b) makes finding a conference nearly impossible.

Also, if this was the plan all along, why worry about getting the deadline pushed back to July 1st? Makes no sense to me.

... the biggest mistake UND could make is to say "we're going D-I, but not for another year or two" because another year of waffling around a) hurts recruiting and b) makes finding a conference nearly impossible.

Two committees.

All the study before that (trust me).

It's "poop or get off the potty" time.

I don't know why you would do this, unless it was to prove a point. With this plan, you're basically extending your transition process for an extra year. You're going to give recruits another reason to not play for you, exactly when you need them the most, by telling them that their freshman and sophmore years they could play for a championship, and then conclude their careers in D-I no mans land. You're basically sucker punching your teams before the boxing match even begins.

The only way I can see this happening is if Kupchella is trying to prove a point about funding. Now all of the groups placing pressure on him can be told to put up or shut up, and if they don't put up, then they can't whine about not being D-I. Seems like the smart move if you don't really want to be D-I, but I don't really think this situation is going to happen.

The coaches were also told that none of the 18 sports will be dropped.....which i find extremely hard to believe...where will the money come from then?? that big of a contribution from alums??? I have my skepticism...I also found out that Neb-Omaha is currently 1 million in debt in their athletic dept...interesting findings....this information from a AD applicant who did not get the position....UND may not be the only school hurting....I also find it interesting that right after all the fireworks about UND going Division 1 along with the AD's comments....after being at Twamley Hall all afternoon has been on vacation??? ironic?:silly:

The coaches were also told that none of the 18 sports will be dropped.....which i find extremely hard to believe...where will the money come from then?? that big of a contribution from alums??? I have my skepticism...I also found out that Neb-Omaha is currently 1 million in debt in their athletic dept...interesting findings....this information from a AD applicant who did not get the position....UND may not be the only school hurting....I also find it interesting that right after all the fireworks about UND going Division 1 along with the AD's comments....after being at Twamley Hall all afternoon has been on vacation??? ironic?:0

I was against UND going DI a couple years ago but now i realize we really don't have a choice...SO if you're going to do it...DO IT!! If you jump out of a plane - you don't fret about pulling the chute or not...PULL IT!!! Either you'll float to the ground or it fails and you plunge to a certain* death! (*or prolonged ordeal like ndsu :lol::0)

That's exactly what the "exploratory year" was designed for...to determine if you CAN do it!! If UND can't...they can back out! But either *hit of get off the pot! UND's hand wringing about this whole thing is starting to get annoying :silly:

..so when will they make the "official" announcement?

Taking two years ('08/'09) to get to the first year of D-I transition (U of Central Ark in 06, SDSU in 03) would be good for UND and the NCC.

1) Keeps you in compliance with the 18 month NCC process. No penalty.

2) If the NCC is going to move in mass to D-I, then gives the schools an additional year to get their act together, and convince state legislatures that this is happening, and it's good for the schools.

3) UND will come off after 3 years of waffling as being decisive, having a solid plan and vision, and be able to LEAD the NCC forward to D-I.

4) Allows the NCC time to find existing auto-bid conferences that may consider bringing these schools into their conferences, but after much of the transition issues are worked thru.

5) Resolves conference issues.

6) Gives the athletic dept. a year to demo how to make this work financially.

7) Assists UND in determining what sports to look at for D-I. Still think that LaX is best choice for UND, dropping baseball.

8) Gives time to NCC members to make the NCC/NSIC conference a go, and UND gets to focus on reconnecting with _DSU's. And in a timeframe that is much more conducive to all 3 schools. Much conference rearranging is going to happen in '10 at the D-I level.

9) At UND, assists in having all "PLAYERS" come out with a "win". EVERYBODY will know what the successful end product will look like.

10) Helps the fans and alumni the opportunity to demonstrate that they support the move and higher prices for tix and stuff the stadiums/arenas, and possibly pick up a NC or two in D-II in the last two years. Both the Bunnies and Bison succeeded in doing so, and that would be a great send-off.

Downside - Transition adds a year.

I hope that Kupchella declares going D-I, but waiting to '07 for exploratory year. That appears better than rushing into exploratory year in '06.

Best of success Sioux! Can read that this has been a painful journey. Hope the pain of indecision is through soon.

I was against UND going DI a couple years ago but now i realize we really don't have a choice...SO if you're going to do it...DO IT!! If you jump out of a plane - you don't fret about pulling the chute or not...PULL IT!!! Either you'll float to the ground or it fails and you plunge to a certain* death! (*or prolonged ordeal like ndsu :lol::0)

That's exactly what the "exploratory year" was designed for...to determine if you CAN do it!! If UND can't...they can back out! But either *hit of get off the pot! UND's hand wringing about this whole thing is starting to get annoying :silly:

You can only hope to have as good a transition to DI as NDSU did.

I also find it interesting that right after all the fireworks about UND going Division 1 along with the AD's comments....after being at Twamley Hall all afternoon has been on vacation??? ironic?:silly:

People, especially those who've been on the (new) job for a full year without a vacation, don't take vacations?

You can only hope to have as good a transition to DI as NDSU did.

The wise do not declare a winner until the final horn sounds.

I don't see the latter part of your post as a "change of events", but rather as the logical next step in the process.

I know a lot of folks, especially Sioux Fans are champing at the bit, but I agree with the findings fo the Task Force report that states that a rigorous financial analysis of classification is necessary, ie another year of 'study'.

Imagine if UND would have hired a consultant to get a professional, objective, third-party opinion and had its athletic department work on DII and DI budgets instead of wasting its time writing a very long and relatively poor paper on the differences between the classifications-you'd probably have a go or no-go decision being made.

Anybody ever think that Kupchella is just stalling?

Taking two years ('08/'09) to get to the first year of D-I transition (U of Central Ark in 06, SDSU in 03) would be good for UND and the NCC.

1) Keeps you in compliance with the 18 month NCC process. No penalty.

2) If the NCC is going to move in mass to D-I, then gives the schools an additional year to get their act together, and convince state legislatures that this is happening, and it's good for the schools.

3) UND will come off after 3 years of waffling as being decisive, having a solid plan and vision, and be able to LEAD the NCC forward to D-I.

4) Allows the NCC time to find existing auto-bid conferences that may consider bringing these schools into their conferences, but after much of the transition issues are worked thru.

5) Resolves conference issues.

6) Gives the athletic dept. a year to demo how to make this work financially.

7) Assists UND in determining what sports to look at for D-I. Still think that LaX is best choice for UND, dropping baseball.

8) Gives time to NCC members to make the NCC/NSIC conference a go, and UND gets to focus on reconnecting with _DSU's. And in a timeframe that is much more conducive to all 3 schools. Much conference rearranging is going to happen in '10 at the D-I level.

9) At UND, assists in having all "PLAYERS" come out with a "win". EVERYBODY will know what the successful end product will look like.

10) Helps the fans and alumni the opportunity to demonstrate that they support the move and higher prices for tix and stuff the stadiums/arenas, and possibly pick up a NC or two in D-II in the last two years. Both the Bunnies and Bison succeeded in doing so, and that would be a great send-off.

Downside - Transition adds a year.

I hope that Kupchella declares going D-I, but waiting to '07 for exploratory year. That appears better than rushing into exploratory year in '06.

Best of success Sioux! Can read that this has been a painful journey. Hope the pain of indecision is through soon.

As The Sicatoka pointed out, people have been studying this issue internally at UND ever since the other schools left the NCC. If they don't have a firm grasp by now on what the associated D-I costs might be and how to proceed from here, then they shouldn't have their jobs anymore. Plus, an exploratory year was specifically designed for the purposes of financial planning, etc.

Point two: Even though the by-laws were changed to an 18 month withdrawal from the NCC, there is no penalty for not complying. Like I mentioned earlier, two NCC AD's have told me recently that UND would be crazy to wait any longer so I don't think anyone is going to harbor any ill will if UND withdraws this summer. It still gives the rest of the league plenty of time to get the 07-08 schedules set.

Point three: UND needs to do what is best for UND at this point. Plus, what's best for the NCC is to not have UND hanging around in limbo for another year. The other schools in the conference want a firm decision one way or the other and they want it ASAP.

Point four: Every school in the NCC is going to need to study its own situation and I highly doubt that everyone will be ready to make a decision by next June 1 (if UND were to hold off a year). And I think everyone realizes that a D-I NCC is not a viable long-term conference solution anyway.

Point five: It should be pretty apparent with what NDSU and SDSU have gone through, finding a conference will be almost impossible as long as an official commitment has not been made. Waiting another year does no good from a conference standpoint.

Point six: Nothing hurts recruiting more than indecision. Going through another year of waffling all but insures that if UND goes D-I, it will do so with less talent on the rosters and probably struggle more than necessary in some sports.

It is time for Kupchella to make a firm decision one way or the other. To me, the hand wringing on this subject has gone past the point of being annoying and has entered the realm of being harmful to the athletic program. Kupchella has shown that he has it in him to step up and be a forceful leader with the nickname issue and now he needs to do it with the athletic department.

Local radio (KNOX) is reporting that UND will be discussing the D1 decision this afternoon at 3:00pm. I'm not sure if that means a press conference, but KNOX is covering the meeting.