SiouxSports.com Forum

Dru trial

Greybeard

I see that a half hour ago the attorneys for Rodriguez filed a motion to dismiss the case. They say that the govt. destoyed DNA evidence, that envelopes supposedly containing DNA were either empty or contained only swabs. Wouldn't the swabs have been used for a DNA sample?

Last week they wanted to move the trial, now this. Then they wanted more time to prepare! Two plus years isn't enough. Trial date is July 7, I think.

The article was on the Star & Tribune website.

Here's my solution to the deal. They should have done it last winter. Wait for a hockey game at the Ralph, a big game, MN and UND would be best, because both states are involved in this mess, announce during the first intermission that Rodriguez is going to be "dropped off" out front by the police ten minutes after the game. Then during the second intermission people can start making plans. Then after the game, the cop car pulls up out front by the Indian statue, they kick the asshole out on the concrete, and let the fans take care of the situation. Save a lot of time and a lot of taxpayers' money for trial and prison.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the link. How insane is that! :) Should this case get thrown out (which I doubt) and AlfRod goes free, his life would be taken care of, or eliminated, in short order. He wouldn't make it as long as Jeff Dahmer did in prison. It would be like having the Soprano's in town.

The defense is grasping at straws. This is going to happen from here on out, and will continue to happen if he is convicted and if his attorneys decide to appeal that conviction. Since it's a death penalty case, I expect nothing less. His attorneys have to exhaust all means necessary or he can appeal that they didn't do a good enough job for him.

The terrible part of this case is that he has been through the system so many times, and been on the inside he knows what to (not) do and what to (not) say.

It's assanine how he has so many rights, and Dru has none.

I wish the a$$hole would just implode!

I think Greybeard was channeled by my dear, sweet, 4 foot 8, dearly departed mom.

When Richard Speck was arrested for killing all those student nurses in Chicago (in our section of the city), she said he should be stripped naked and tied to a cornor lamp post. Then, everyone in the neighborhood using a well used razor blade should cut a little piece off his body. Slow, painful, and terminal!!

Ma was really a sweet old gal but she knew what justice was all about!

Ma was really a sweet old gal but she knew what justice was all about!

Grandpappy told my pappy, back in my day, son

A man had to answer for the wicked that he done ....

Justice is the one thing you should always find

You got to saddle up your boys

You got to draw a hard line

With thanks to Misters Keith and Nelson.

The defense is grasping at straws. This is going to happen from here on out, and will continue to happen if he is convicted and if his attorneys decide to appeal that conviction. Since it's a death penalty case, I expect nothing less. His attorneys have to exhaust all means necessary or he can appeal that they didn't do a good enough job for him.

The terrible part of this case is that he has been through the system so many times, and been on the inside he knows what to (not) do and what to (not) say.

It's assanine how he has so many rights, and Dru has none.

• 1 month later...

I almost didn't want to bring this topic back up. But it looks like the jury for this trial will be picked tomorrow 7/6/06. And guess what, the defense attorney Robert Hoy and other attorney's (scum of the earth) are still arguing over the evidence of 11 specific items including testimony from family and friends, and videotape evidence from the mall.

http://www.startribune.com/10086/story/534166.html

This one really pi$$es me off. I would like to ask those defense attorney scum one question...What defense did/does Dru have a$$holes?

Defense attorneys also sought to exclude testimony from Sjodin's family and friends on the impact of her death. Richard Ney, a death penalty lawyer, said witnesses are not allowed to give their opinions on a possible sentence for the defendant.

Another story was from 7/01/06 about a federal court in ND taking up the charges against Alfonso Rodriguez Jr. a.k.a. scum of the earth :ohmy:

http://www.startribune.com/10086/story/528647.html

Can we please get this trial over with? Three years is long enough for this scum bag to live let alone a day. Because a day after the evidence was there.

This makes me sick :lol:

I agree that it's time to get this trial going and the killer should be put to death. The evidence will speak for itself regardless of what the defense will be.

I have a little trouble with the 'scum of the earth' adjectives for his attorneys. Our constitution provides a trial to determine the guilt or innocence of the accused. I believe Rodriguez' attorneys are court appointed. They are charged with giving the defendent the best possible defense available. If they do not, the defendant will have grounds for appeal for 'inadequate, poor, etc.' defense, mistrial or God forbid, getting off of a technicality!! Don't blame the attorneys for doing their job, just hope that they do a good, non-appealable job for the defendant and Rodriguez gets the death penalty.

I have a little trouble with the 'scum of the earth' adjectives for his attorneys. Our constitution provides a trial to determine the guilt or innocence of the accused. I believe Rodriguez' attorneys are court appointed. They are charged with giving the defendent the best possible defense available. If they do not, the defendant will have grounds for appeal for 'inadequate, poor, etc.' defense, mistrial or God forbid, getting off of a technicality!! Don't blame the attorneys for doing their job, just hope that they do a good, non-appealable job for the defendant and Rodriguez gets the death penalty.

I concur that the defense attorney's have a job to do. But with all due respect, It is the way I feel about our justice system now days. Dare I say the liberal judges are part of the blame. They play this game, the judges go along with it, and it gets dragged on forever. Do they have any decency for the victim and the family? In the case of Rodriguez, was he an illegal from Mexico? Either way, they come to our country, commit crimes to the innocent, go to jail for a few years and then get out with a sex offender label, and do it all over again or worse. We (the rest of us) have become a prisoner to this behavior in our everyday lives. Is there anywhere that is safe to go anymore without fear of this scum? Innocent until proven guilty means they will plea and get off scott free living off the taxpayers for the rest of his life with meals and tv in a prison room. The criminals now have more freedoms and rights than the victims who are now dead. Anyone else see something wrong with this?

Again, did Dru have any defense?

I concur that the defense attorney's have a job to do. But with all due respect, It is the way I feel about our justice system now days. Dare I say the liberal judges are part of the blame.

You can say it. I don't think your statement applies in this instance, but you can say it.

They play this game, the judges go along with it, and it gets dragged on forever.
It's called due process, and if you were on trial for you life, you'd want your attorneys to do all they could do to defend you, too, especially if you knew you were innocent. That's not to say that I think Rodriguez is innocent because I don't. However, our criminal justice system operates under the presumption of innocence. He has a right to the best defense his attorneys can provide.

In the case of Rodriguez, was he an illegal from Mexico?

No, he wasn't. Do you think everyone with a Hispanic name is an illegal from Mexico?

Either way, they come to our country, commit crimes to the innocent, go to jail for a few years and then get out with a sex offender label, and do it all over again or worse.
There are many Americans citizens who commit crimes against other American citizens, which is what happened in this case.

We (the rest of us) have become a prisoner to this behavior in our everyday lives.

Speak for yourself.

Is there anywhere that is safe to go anymore without fear of this scum?
If you stay out of his jail cell, you're probably safe.

Innocent until proven guilty means they will plea and get off scott free living off the taxpayers for the rest of his life with meals and tv in a prison room.

Huh? :ohmy: Where do you come up with this stuff?

The criminals now have more freedoms and rights than the victims who are now dead. Anyone else see something wrong with this?
If it were true, I would see something wrong with it.

Again, did Dru have any defense?

The prosecution will do all it can to make certain that Dru's killer gets the justice he deserves. The U.S. government has great resources and some powerful weapons in its arsenal. Based on what I've read, the case against Rodriguez looks quite strong. If he gets life, he'll be lucky.

Edited by PCM

The defense attorneys must do a complete and through job, the last thing I believe anyone would wants in this case is any appeals.

Just for information purpose, Robert Hoy is the father of sioux men"s hoopster Jimmy Hoy.

My two cents... When this is all said and done Mr. Rodriguez Jr. will have taken his last breath.

I concur that the defense attorney's have a job to do. But with all due respect, It is the way I feel about our justice system now days. Dare I say the liberal judges are part of the blame. They play this game, the judges go along with it, and it gets dragged on forever. Do they have any decency for the victim and the family? In the case of Rodriguez, was he an illegal from Mexico? Either way, they come to our country, commit crimes to the innocent, go to jail for a few years and then get out with a sex offender label, and do it all over again or worse. We (the rest of us) have become a prisoner to this behavior in our everyday lives. Is there anywhere that is safe to go anymore without fear of this scum? Innocent until proven guilty means they will plea and get off scott free living off the taxpayers for the rest of his life with meals and tv in a prison room. The criminals now have more freedoms and rights than the victims who are now dead. Anyone else see something wrong with this?

What color is the sky in your world? If the federal govt, with all of its resources, is seeking to exact the ultimate penalty on a person, regardless of the crime(s), I see no reason why that person should not be provided a proper and adequate defense. It's what the US Constitution requires, and it embodies what the country was built upon. It's not perfect, but I would rather see Rodriguez walk after a fair trial, than be convicted in the "court of public opinion" and executed by a bunch of Nancy Grace-watching shut ins. I've seen nothing from the defendant's attorneys that would indicate they are doing anything less that what their professional responsibilities and experience require. If you want contrived justice and kangaroo courts, I suggest you move to China or Iran.

All due respect here, cause after all, this is a very opinionated site.....

But this guy is a piece of !@$! that stinks so bad you'd throw your shoes away if you stepped in him....c'mon, why are we even defending the man when it comes to talking about giving him a fair trial? He's a sleazy, sex offending murderer....LOOK AT HIM!!! :ohmy:

rodriguez_large.jpg

Granted, WildSioux may have gotten a little carried away....but it's easy to see where he's coming from. I do agree that the man needs a fair trial cause it's every American citizen's right (and hopefully he gets one so that we can finally put an end to the charade). But I don't think that I'd throw a fit if they just said "GUILTY!!!!"

I bartended at Dagwood's around the time that Dru disappeared and the whole county was looking for her. Being the great guy that he is, Mike Delhorey opened his kitchen to the Sjodin family...long story short, I saw her family alot during the weeks that she was missing. It was hard watching how miserable her family was, the pain they must have been going through...I truly felt for them. I didn't know Dru personally, but after witnessing first hand how this was affecting the family, to think that somebody--some human being actually was capable of doing something like this to a beautiful, innocent, young woman...it's enough to make a guy want to go on a vigilante mission....so I can see where WildSioux is calling for blood.

One more thing to say, and then I'll get off my soapbox. The point I'm trying to make is this: ask yourself how bad you'd want a fair trial for this guy if it was YOUR daughter that he tortured and killed....cause I'd want justice to be served by the end of my 12 gauge.

c'mon, why are we even defending the man when it comes to talking about giving him a fair trial?

Because there's a difference between justice being served and how we serve justice. I understand people being frustrated with how slowly this case has come to trial because of all the legal maneuvering, but that's how the system works. Just because you and others might want instant gratification doesn't mean that we throw the system out the window and act on our base emotions.

The point I'm trying to make is this: ask yourself how bad you'd want a fair trial for this guy if it was YOUR daughter that he tortured and killed....cause I'd want justice to be served by the end of my 12 gauge.

Vigilantism. What a great criminal justice system. :ohmy:

Ask yourself this: If someone accused you of raping and murdering their daughter, how would you feel when justice from the end of a shotgun came calling and you knew you were innocent?

That is a good point, but we're comparing apples and oranges. Alfonso did it...he may as well have been standing over her body when they found it.

Now, what you're saying as far being accused and being innocent...I totally agree. I wasn't suggesting that they just convict him RIGHT now based on evidence that they found and his testimony. I was merely pointing out that I can see where WildSioux was getting antsy in this whole trial. It kind of sucks that something that seems so open and shut can be carried out for YEARS!!! Yes, it's beneficial if you're on trial for something that you know you did not do....but that is not the case here.

Yes, it's beneficial if you're on trial for something that you know you did not do....but that is not the case here.

Which I think will become obvious as the trial proceeds.

Thanks katohtr, at least someone else understands where I am coming from in this messed up justice system we have. Yes, I may have got a little carried away with what I said. I just don't understand how anyone can defend this scum. But that is just my opinion on this case and believe it has gone on for 3 years too long :ohmy:

And now, we have this from today...Jury selection stops before it starts in Rodriguez trial

Anyone see a pattern here? Remember the federal case of the 20th hijacker Moussaoui who was the only person charged tied to 9/11? He was up for the death penalty in the evidence that was there for his support in the 9/11 events. It was the FBI in MN who tipped the government off about this scum for training their. I can't remember how many of the jury who were against the death penalty. But all it takes is one and he was set free. And this is what we got from him..."America, you lost. I won."

My point, how does that send a message to the rest of the terrorists? Or in the case of sex offenders who keep getting off free. Hey, we can keep doing this and get off free. But I have no doubt about the prosecution in the Rodriguez trial that they will present their case pointing evidence that he did it.

We have to abide by the system. We have many individuals who have been released in the past few years after serving 10-20 years for rapes they did not commit. At the time of their trials, the same things were being said about them. Now, DNA evidence has shown some of them to be innocent. Let the court system do its work. Believe what you want about the case, but do it right. Next time it could be you who is wrongly accused. We have had far too many cases of so-called vigilante justice in history. That is not what civilization is about. Assuming he is guilty, he will get his due.

Yes, I may have got a little carried away with what I said. I just don't understand how anyone can defend this scum.
That's how "the system" works. If he's found guilty, you can pat yourself on the ass and tell yourself what a great system it is. And if he walks, you can call Nancy Grace or O'Reilly and complain about "liberal judges", "stupid juries" and "scummy lawyers".

But all it takes is one and he was set free. And this is what we got from him..."America, you lost. I won."

If you call denying him his "martyrdom" and throwing him into near-solitary confinement with a concrete slab for a bed "winning", you probably belong to a "leather club".

My point, how does that send a message to the rest of the terrorists? Or in the case of sex offenders who keep getting off free.

If you think terrorists and sexual predators are deterred by the specter of a needle in their arm, you really need to read up on their pathology. Their motivations are generally not curbed by the threat of sexual offender registries, do-not-call lists, jail, treatment or execution. However, as a practical matter, I have no problems if these most of these guys end up dead on a gurney in Terre Haute, Indiana after they've gone through the justice system.

Please show me any post where someone is defending Rodriguez?! No one has. My post was simply to point out that a good defense by his attorneys will prevent his getting away with murder based on the appeal process or LAW. If he does not get adequate defense his appeal process could drag out for decades!! Or heaven forbid, he could get off on a technicality.

My sister was murdered and because of the way she was killed, even though we all know who did it, there was no evidence. Her murderer was never arrested. Pissed? Damn straight!! Would my family have been happy to have a family member or friend kill him and end up in jail themselves? NO!! A few years later, another woman that he was attempting to attack put five bullets into him and my family finally found peace. She was never arrested because it was self defense and I say a prayer every day for her. So, I know what the Sjodin family is going through. I also know that if you asked them, they would tell you that they also want the best possible defense available to Rodriguez so at the end of the day he will have no basis for appeal, mistrial, etc. and he can go to the electric chair to pay for his crime.

We have a system of law that has to be followed in this country. If it's not, more criminals will walk free than are given jail terms or put to death. I believe this because there are more of them that would have no problem blowing you or me away than there are those of us who could blow them away! Don't kid yourself, it takes alot to kill someone. And if you fear for the life of your family/friends and know that there are scum bags out there willing to kill you first or if you do blow someone away there are fellow scum bags who will act in retaliation, you won't be so quick on the trigger as a moment of passion makes you think you would be.

... want the best possible defense available to Rodriguez so at the end of the day he will have no basis for appeal, mistrial, etc.

That's where I'm at in this.

All this squirming around just tells me that they don't have any other "play" in the courts.

Allan Sjodin: "The procedure needs to be right. ... We have one misson -- justice for her."

I just don't understand how anyone can defend this scum.

Who defended him? :ohmy:

Some of us are defending his right to a fair trial. Big difference.

Edited by PCM