SiouxSports.com Forum

Dru trial

Greybeard

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both sides have now rested their cases. Closing arguments and jury deliberations are all that's left.

From the Forum:

Defense attorney Bob Hoy then asked U.S. District Court Judge Ralph Erickson for an acquittal, stating prosecutors had not proven an essential element of the crime, that Sjodin was alive when interstate transportation of her person began.

Erickson denied the motion, stating there was circumstantial evidence the transportation began in the parking lot of the Columbia Mall in Grand Forks, N.D., where Sjodin

I have a question for any one to answer. Lets say that they can not find out reasonable where she was killed, if ND does not fry him can Minnesota have a crack at him? Why would it really matter where she was killed, the kidnapping started in ND and her body found in MN, I do not think it should matter. No matter how you look at it, it is still kidnapping resulting in sexaul assault and murder. Fry him good and for a long time I am sure there is a nice cubicle in hell reserved for him already. Can someone please explain for the law impaired.

I have a question for any one to answer. Lets say that they can not find out reasonable where she was killed, if ND does not fry him can Minnesota have a crack at him? Why would it really matter where she was killed, the kidnapping started in ND and her body found in MN, I do not think it should matter. No matter how you look at it, it is still kidnapping resulting in sexaul assault and murder. Fry him good and for a long time I am sure there is a nice cubicle in hell reserved for him already. Can someone please explain for the law impaired.

From my understanding of the law, if he is found innocent of the federal charge, he can still be tried at the state level in ND and MN if both states want to. He could not be tried at the federal level again because he was already found innocent, but since both ND and MN dont have the death penalty the worse he could get would be life in prison with no paroll, thats why the defense attorney is pushing the death before transit argument so much, because if he didn't commit the crime across state lines the case is no longer that of a federal case. This is my understanding of it, but feel free to correct me if i am wrong.

From my understanding of the law, if he is found innocent of the federal charge, he can still be tried at the state level in ND and MN if both states want to. He could not be tried at the federal level again because he was already found innocent, but since both ND and MN dont have the death penalty the worse he could get would be life in prison with no paroll, thats why the defense attorney is pushing the death before transit argument so much, because if he didn't commit the crime across state lines the case is no longer that of a federal case. This is my understanding of it, but feel free to correct me if i am wrong.

So let me see if I understand now, if he kidnapped her in Grand Forks but did not kill her untill in Minnesota then it is a federal case. But if he killed her right away after her abduction then it is a state case. OK I understand and I still do not care. Fry him regardless

So let me see if I understand now, if he kidnapped her in Grand Forks but did not kill her untill in Minnesota then it is a federal case. But if he killed her right away after her abduction then it is a state case.

No, that's not correct. You need to read this post from above.

OK I understand and I still do not care. Fry him regardless

No, you don't understand. If it's a state case, then Rodriguez can't receive the death penalty.

If he is acquitted on the Federal Charge of the kidnapping of Dru Sjodin resulting in murder, he cannot be tried again for the same charge in Federal Court. He can be tried in State Court for the kidnapping and murder. I would think that the kidnapping would be in North Dakota and the murder in Minnesota, but that would be a tough call and glad it isn't one I have to make. On second thought, I hope that it doesn't come to that at all and the right decision is made by the jurors on the Federal Charge.

I don't want Dru's family to have to relive any of this again.

Here's a story from the St. Paul Pioneer Press about the closing statements:

Prosecutor urges jury to hear Dru's voice in blood evidence

Dru Sjodin "battled every step of the way" after Alfonso Rodriguez Jr. kidnapped her, leaving behind "unmistakable messages" about her attacker's identity, a prosecutor told jurors in a closing argument this afternoon.

"The blood in Alfonso Rodriguez's car was Dru's voice shouting out, 'I was here I was forced here,' " Drew Wrigley, the United States Attorney for North Dakota, told the jury.

No, that's not correct. You need to read this post from above.

No, you don't understand. If it's a state case, then Rodriguez can't receive the death penalty.

OK I read it and I understand more now, Thanks. I still think he should fry, state or federal I do not care re-instate the death penalty just to fry him. Do it at half-time of a football game, I would be money to watch him fry. He is a monster and we should do away with monsters

The case went to the jury shortly after 4 p.m., with the judge instructing jurors he would send them home at 10 p.m. if they had not reached a verdict by then. After selecting a foreman, however, jurors called it a night shortly after 5 p.m.

I'm not a religious person, but I'll be praying for these people and the job that's before them.

I'm not a religious person, but I'll be praying for these people and the job that's before them.

The older sister of my best friend is on that jury. I have faith that they'll (and she will) make the right decision in this case. I just hope that it doesn't take too long. This case has taken her away from her job and her family for a while, even though she does get to go home every night and see them. I am sure it is a taxing experience and one I do not envy her for having.

I was in court today to Support Linda and Alan and Family..

Both PCM and Hockeymom have this correct.

Mr Wrigley gave a passoniate and emotional closing statement that has several Family Members, Observers, Media, Clerks, and Jurors wiping their eyes.This is by far one of the hardest things I have ever done, so difficult to sit there helpess and listen to arguments and see the pain and anquish this Man has caused.

I felt that Mr. Hoy really struggled in his closing, seemed to me that he did not even buy what he was trying to sell.

Judge Erickson seems a very Logical, Fair and Committed Judge to get this thing done right so that there will not be any chance at appeal.

All that being said , My feelings are that the jury will take less than 1 day, and return with a verdict of Guilty!

The penalty phase will then follow, the death penalty could take a longer deliberation.

SOmewhat on topic, somewhat off:

Since I am unfamiliar with court proceedings I thought I'd ask this question: Say the verdict is guilty and it moves on to sentencing. Who deliberates the sentence? Is it the jury or the judge? If the jury deliberates the sentence (put to death or life in prison or whatever) is it the same jury?

I know that seems like a rather dumb question, but I guess I just don't know the answer to these things.

SOmewhat on topic, somewhat off:

Since I am unfamiliar with court proceedings I thought I'd ask this question: Say the verdict is guilty and it moves on to sentencing. Who deliberates the sentence? Is it the jury or the judge? If the jury deliberates the sentence (put to death or life in prison or whatever) is it the same jury?

I know that seems like a rather dumb question, but I guess I just don't know the answer to these things.

It seems that they almost rehash the whole trial again, to see if it fits the death penalty requirements..

here is one link..

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/n...in/15371698.htm