SiouxSports.com Forum

U.S. House Action

airmail

This was mentioned in the Illinois Tennis thread (thanks to PhillySioux) , but I thought it was worthy of its own. Finally... our lawmakers are working on something worthwhile. :0

Speaker of the House

Co-sponsored by Tim Johnson, R-Ill; Allen Boyd, D-Fla.; Dan Boren, D-Okla.; and Jerry Costello, D-Ill.

Where's Earl? :0:D

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't believe this issue was ever discusssed on this forum. Great! Fantastic! I need to spin that 'wheel of adjectives'!!!

Local economies across the country would be impacted if the NCAA
Edited by Sioux-cia

Just sent this to Earl,

As a graduate of the University of North Dakota, I hope you are aware of the name and logo issue that is affecting our alma mater. I am a proponent of the name and logo. I strongly believe that the University, its' athletes, alumni and fans use the name respectfully and with honor. For the NCAA to dictate to an institution of higher learning what is right and what is wrong is outside of the parameters of its own rules and regulation and is without question wrong! Unless I have missed it, there has been no reaction, response, or even awareness expressed by you or our other elected representatives. Why is that? This morning I read 'the Hastert Act to Limit NCAA Role'. I respectfully request that you support it and that you do so publicly. As one of your constituents, it's important for me to know where you stand on this issue.

His staff will respond to emails as well. Using the legislature is likely a better bet than the judiciary for UND. I am somewhat surprised with this list and cannot believe it will have much opposition outside of the wackos in California.

This could be the beginning of the end for the NCAA's strangle hold over colleges. IMO this is the biggest news on this subject to date.

I believe the press secretary is a former Sioux Football player.

Mac Schneider left that position around August last year to attend law school at Georgetown University. Stephanie Craig, Pomeroy's current press secretary, is a UND graduate.

(In addition to Hastert:)

Co-sponsored by Tim Johnson, R-Ill; Allen Boyd, D-Fla.; Dan Boren, D-Okla.; and Jerry Costello, D-Ill.

Huh, 3 Democrats and 2 republican sponsors. So, you mean this isn't a one party issue!!!!! ;)

Now that that's off my chest. :D

Go Sioux, and words I never thought would cross my lips, Go Hastert! :0:0

Time to put political differences behind and contact your reps to support this.

The campaign should also include Dorgan and Conrad.... constituents should be demanding that they sponsor/co-sponsor similar legislation.

Great idea. I just finished a letter to my rep. Now on to the Senators.

Huh, 3 Democrats and 2 republican sponsors. So, you mean this isn't a one party issue!!!!! ;)

Now that that's off my chest. :D

Go Sioux, and words I never thought would cross my lips, Go Hastert! :0:0

Time to put political differences behind and contact your reps to support this.

When Hillary Clinton and Patrick "Dude, where's my car?" Kennedy climb on board, I'll know for sure that this isn't a one-party issue.

Does anyone remember a Potato Bowl Parade or a Homecoming Parade at UND where our US Senators and Representatives haven't been part of it?

Seriously.

I'm a little disappointed that they haven't spoken out against the NCAA yet. The economic impact of the University not being able to host a post-season event would be huge......and that includes businesses that are in Grand Forks and the surrounding communities.

Anyone have economic impact figures from the Western Regional? Anyone?

I'm a little disappointed that they haven't spoken out against the NCAA yet.

To be fair, all three members of the Congressional delegation were quoted as saying that they support UND's use of the Fighting Sioux nickname. However, it wasn't widely reported by the media, which means that few people outside of Grand Forks know about it.

And what they've actually done to help UND with this issue remains a mystery to the average North Dakota voter.

Tim Johnson is the US Representative from Urbana, home of the University of Illinois.

BTW, Denny Hastert is a former HS wrestling coach. He does have more than a passing interest in high school and college sports.

I'm glad to see that someone from Oklahoma, home of the "Sooners" is co-sponsoring. I'd like to hear what the NCAA thinks of that nickname and what it says about Native Americans. :D

This was mentioned in the Illinois Tennis thread (thanks to PhillySioux) , but I thought it was worthy of its own. Finally... our lawmakers are working on something worthwhile. :0

Speaker of the House

Where's Earl? :0:D

I havea question does anyone know when this is going to be voted on? I also want to know wherethe congressman from ND are? They should have been co-sponsors of this fine bill? This is great I want to see Myles Brand squirm

I havea question does anyone know when this is going to be voted on? I also want to know wherethe congressman from ND are? They should have been co-sponsors of this fine bill? This is great I want to see Myles Brand squirm

it has been refered to the house committe on education and the workforce. I don't know, but people are contacting earl to get him going. he is the only one for nd in the house.

Let's not forget that the DC Elected tried to attack the NCAA before in regards to the BCS limiting those mid-major schools. Yet again the NCAA has upset those elected officials. At some point they will pass some law that hurts the NCAA.

Also reported in Sports Illustrated a few weeks ago was a little blurb on how some former athletes were suing the NCAA over being able to earn money from the NCAA since they make so much off the athletes.

I'd like to hear what the NCAA thinks of that nickname and what it says about Native Americans. :D

Ah yes, "Sooners", meaning the people who stole land from American Indians before ("sooner") than it was legal to steal land from American Indians.

Of course that's not "hostile and abusive."

Just sent this to Earl,

I tried to add my voice to this chorus, but since I am no longer a resident of the ND Congressional District, Pomeroy's website will not even accept the comments. They suggest that I send comments to my Representatives (done), but as a born and bred GF Native, this irks me that I cannot express support for issues that affect my home town. :D And then come the comments about Pomeroy's position that are in another thread...

Grrrrrr.

I tried to add my voice to this chorus, but since I am no longer a resident of the ND Congressional District, Pomeroy's website will not even accept the comments. They suggest that I send comments to my Representatives (done), but as a born and bred GF Native, this irks me that I cannot express support for issues that affect my home town. :D And then come the comments about Pomeroy's position that are in another thread...

Grrrrrr.

Just fill in a ND zip code (Your parents address?)