SiouxSports.com Forum

Where was the D's head today?

Displaced Nodak

You heard about it the whole game...WEAK GOALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There were times when they just looked lost, unfortunately those times were when they needed to clear the puck or trying to break it out of hteir own end.

Jordy looked like he just wasn't with it at all today. I hate to be a hindsight is 20/20 kind of guy, but after that second period with another "bad goal," I think you maybe have to at least consider putting in Lamireaux.

BC had two, maybe three legitimate goals.

The Sioux looked just like the Gophers when they lost to Holy Cross. BC is a product of a very weak Hockey East and I wouldn't be surprised if Wisconsin steam rolls Maine tonight then blows the doors off of BC Saturday night.

Mark my words, your NCAA Champion will come from tonight's Wisconsin/Maine game.

Anyway, great season boys. I only hope that we bring back everyone (with the exception of the seniors of course). They should be alot of fun to watch next season after a summer of packing on muscle and that bad taste in their mouth.

After two seasons of Hakstol at the helm I am becoming a believer in the next Sioux Dynasty being right around the corner. I really think Hak has learned alot about taking a team from being hopefuls to being believers and making the Frozen Four a strong possibility every year. Get used to it, Hakstol is going to have a job with us as long as he wants it.

In closing, would anyone else have liked to see Prpich finish his career with a big payback on that cheap shot he took in the second period? Thanks BIG MIKE for four great years, your heart and dedicartion will be hard to replace for our boys next season.

You heard about it the whole game...WEAK GOALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There were times when they just looked lost, unfortunately those times were when they needed to clear the puck or trying to break it out of hteir own end.

Jordy looked like he just wasn't with it at all today. I hate to be a hindsight is 20/20 kind of guy, but after that second period with another "bad goal," I think you maybe have to at least consider putting in Lamireaux.

BC had two, maybe three legitimate goals.

The Sioux looked just like the Gophers when they lost to Holy Cross. BC is a product of a very weak Hockey East and I wouldn't be surprised if Wisconsin steam rolls Maine tonight then blows the doors off of BC Saturday night.

Mark my words, your NCAA Champion will come from tonight's Wisconsin/Maine game.

Anyway, great season boys. I only hope that we bring back everyone (with the exception of the seniors of course). They should be alot of un to watch next season after a summer of packing on muscle and that bad taste in their mouth.

After two seasons of Hakstol at the helm I am becoming a believer in the next Sioux Dynasty being right around the corner. I really think Hak has learned alot about taking a team from being hopefuls to being believers and making the Frozen Four a strong possibility every year. Get used to it, Hakstol is going to have a job with us as long as he wants it.

In closing, would anyone else have liked to see Prpich finish his career with a big payback on that cheap shot he took in the second period? Thanks BIG MIKE for four great years, your heart and dedicartion will be hard to replace for our boys next season.

It was just a bad day all around for the Sioux. The pieces would come together, and bam another BC goal.

God, this really sucks. I feel like I'm going to break down.

;)

I realize that most of the goals were very save-able. However, BC is definately for REAL. They have had BY FAR the hardest road to the championship. They can flat out FLY on the ice, and finish like even UND wishes they could've.

BC wins, even with the rabid Bucky fans. Wisconsin needs to score goals to get my attention. NO WAY can they match BC's speed, nobody left can.

It was just a bad day all around for the Sioux. The pieces would come together, and bam another BC goal.

God, this really sucks. I feel like I'm going to break down.

;)

IT'S ONLY A HOCKEY GAME! You guys will be OK... hopefully you weather the storm of off-season departures better than the Gophs have to this point...

IT'S ONLY A HOCKEY GAME! You guys will be OK... hopefully you weather the storm of off-season departures better than the Gophs have to this point...

I know it's just a game, so you don't have to remind me off that.

As I've stated before, it just wasn't their day today.

I know it's just a game, so you don't have to remind me off that.

As I've stated before, it just wasn't their day today.

Finley had the worst game of his entire season. not meaning to rip on him, but he needs to start taking the body VERY SOON. ( meaning next season, considering we're done.)

Rushmore88.

We will be ok. Thanks for your concern however. :lol:

I was wondering if you would add your all time stats at the NEW REA you know the one 6-3 vs UND and 0-1 vs Holy Cross. :lol:

I was going to jump off the Red River Bridge but the Cops are keeping foot traffic off & the water is just under them (or up to them) :lol: & I hate Cold water so I went home & decided to wait till next year :lol:

:angry:

Go Twins ;)

Every BC goal was the direct result of an awful Sioux play. I don't think any were sustained pressure. That play by Smaby was incredible, reminded me or Harrington last year he was so lost. Man that was a tough game to watch. I don't mind losing to solid play by an opponent, but that was a gift. Who would have thought the Sioux put up 5 and lose. AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Let the defections began.

I have to day we have had better defense than this, but I do have to agree that it just wasn't our night! I hate fairwheather fans. Yesterday a whole bunch of people told me how much they love the Sioux and that they want them to win!!! Well who wouldnt? but today those same people said that they hate the Sioux and that they were cheering for BC to win. I hated that ;)

I said this on USCHO as well, but this was two very young hockey teams trying to respond to heavy pressure.

The result was a helter-skelter game of mistakes on both sides.

And in the end, we made a run of it even though we did make a ton of mistakes. I loved the fact that it was 5-2 at the end of 2 and the Sioux didn't pack it in. I'm not sure many other teams wouldn't have just packed it in.

And in the end, we made a run of it even though we did make a ton of mistakes. I loved the fact that it was 5-2 at the end of 2 and the Sioux didn't pack it in. I'm not sure many other teams wouldn't have just packed it in.

I think that most teams would have packed it in when they were down 3-0. That's why this team we have is a special one. :)

I think that most teams would have packed it in when they were down 3-0. That's why this team we have is a special one. :)

I agree.

Remember the Michigan game? After we went up 2-0, Michigan basically packed it in. We never did. We just made too many mistakes and didn't convert on theirs.

Before the game I said that this game would be won by whomever capitolized more on the other team's mistakes. BC capitolized more and they came out victorious.

I was going to jump off the Red River Bridge but the Cops are keeping foot traffic off & the water is just under them (or up to them) ;) & I hate Cold water so I went home & decided to wait till next year :D

;)

Go Twins :)

I woke up this morning and I felt a little empty, almost as bad as I did in 1998 after the Sioux went out at the hands of Michigan, then I remembered that I had to go over to Kings Walk and renew my membership for another great season of golf. This is after I took the dog for a long walk in the country and tried to think of something possitive. This one stings but who would have thought the Sioux would go this far. I guess I will hold off jumping off anything this year.

I agree.

Remember the Michigan game? After we went up 2-0, Michigan basically packed it in. We never did. We just made too many mistakes and didn't convert on theirs.

Before the game I said that this game would be won by whomever capitolized more on the other team's mistakes. BC capitolized more and they came out victorious.

I saw some of Michigan's fans take their jerseys off before they walked out.

I realize that most of the goals were very save-able. However, BC is definately for REAL. They have had BY FAR the hardest road to the championship. They can flat out FLY on the ice, and finish like even UND wishes they could've.

BC wins, even with the rabid Bucky fans. Wisconsin needs to score goals to get my attention. NO WAY can they match BC's speed, nobody left can.

I agree that BC can fly, however, Wisconsin doesn't play a free-wheeling style so they don't have to worry about matching BC in the speed category to win. I will give you Minnesota as an example. We allowed 11 goals in 5 games to arguably one of the most profficient offensive teams in college hockey this year. The one thing we need to do that UND did a poor job of is backchecking. It is essential!

I agree that BC can fly, however, Wisconsin doesn't play a free-wheeling style so they don't have to worry about matching BC in the speed category to win. I will give you Minnesota as an example. We allowed 11 goals in 5 games to arguably one of the most profficient offensive teams in college hockey this year. The one thing we need to do that UND did a poor job of is backchecking. It is essential!

The thing is, you can back check all you want but if your team can't keep up ala Wisconsin they could be in trouble. The fact that they have Elliot is the key to the puzzle. If Brian is off tonight Wisconsin gets shelled. Just my HMO. In the Final Five UND killed Wisconsin with their speed.

The thing is, you can back check all you want but if your team can't keep up ala Wisconsin they could be in trouble. The fact that they have Elliot is the key to the puzzle. If Brian is off tonight Wisconsin gets shelled. Just my HMO. In the Final Five UND killed Wisconsin with their speed.

I think an additional key to beating UW (depending upon the makeup of a paticular team) is to beat them at their own game and take the body. One thing that makes UW so dangerous is their counter-attack. UW likes to trap but it works because they have a lot of speed. Therefore they score a lot of goals off odd-man rushes and not necessarily from cycling around and around in the offensive zone.

Maine took the body all during the first period and it had UW completely off their game imho. However, taking the body requires a lot of stamina and if a team is not used to taking that route all game it possibly wears on you to point of abandoning that tactic. imho as the UW-UMe game wore on, UW got stronger and stronger, and gained more freedom to counter since Maine just couldn't or didn't continue taking the body.

This was the only criticism I had for Lucia during this season. The Gophers have enough big forwards that if they would have been more physical I think they could have done even more at the end of they year. But Wheeler, Stoa, Howe and others just don't hit enough and I think it falls upon Lucia to tell these guys they're going to hit or they're going to sit. However, a fellow Gopher fan did counter that they didn't necessarily have the depth at F due to injury to take that angle which I suppose has some merit.

I think it goes without saying that Elliot is the key to the puzzle every night. I think what BC did to beat you guys was took advantage of all the time and space you allowed their forwards at neutral ice. Parise wasn't able to bail the team out either which only compounded the problem. Elliot is always our key though, you are absolutely right. He is our best penalty killer, which may be the difference tonight. Well, I'm off to the game.

Elliot is always our key though, you are absolutely right. He is our best penalty killer, which may be the difference tonight. Well, I'm off to the game.

I don't expect Wisco to get sucked into leaving cherry pickers so alone when changing lines that BC ends up getting good shots from the bottom/inside of the circles.

If they do, Elliot will not stop those shots to the top corners off the inside of the pipes no more than Parise did. On the other hand, it's unlikely that BC can be lucky enough to have players that haven't been goal scores all season (Collins the exception) hit those corners on several consecutive shots, like they did on Thursday.

BC, however, did have the bounces going for them in the regional, and again on Thursday. If they get that puck luck for one more game, they could well win tonight.

I will say now that I believe BC will win tonight if they use the same speed they did against the Sioux. Think back to when MN beat WI. Those losses weren't so much about goaltending as it was that WI had a tendency to break down against speed pressure. I did not think that Elliot looked good against Maine. When Maine got the puck down deep, they scored on him. He also mishandled the puck a couple of times. If BC can get past the initial backchecking, I think they will cause stress in the WI defense and get their opportunities.

In our group of three, we are split 1-1-1 on who will win after being at both games. It could be anywhere from either team winning a close one to a blowout.

I will say now that I believe BC will win tonight if they use the same speed they did against the Sioux. Think back to when MN beat WI. Those losses weren't so much about goaltending as it was that WI had a tendency to break down against speed pressure. I did not think that Elliot looked good against Maine. When Maine got the puck down deep, they scored on him. He also mishandled the puck a couple of times.

He stopped 35 of 37 shots. The first goal was a shot that didn't appear to even be on net but was redirected in off the skate of a badger defenseman. There was also a sequence where he made the inital save on a shot from one faceoff circle and then slid over and stoned the rebound shot from the far post. I'm not sure what he could have done, in your opinion, to have had a good game if the Maine game didn't qualify. As far as the MN game goes, you are correct about the defensive breakdowns, however, Elliot has been able to bail us out in those situations, Connelly did not. Briggs was standing on his head the second game of that series, for a change. It was painful to watch.