SiouxSports.com Forum

Hrkac

hrkac

From the Herald: The Sioux didn't come across many fans Tuesday. Today, several are expected at the team's practice. There even could be a Tony Hrkac sighting.

Hrkac, UND's only Hobey Baker Memorial Award winner as the best player in college hockey, lives in Milwaukee. After helping the Sioux win the national championship in 1987, he played several years in the National Hockey League and in the minors in such cities as Milwaukee.

"Hopefully, we'll get a chance to bump into him," Hakstol said of Hrkac.

**Why isn't he inducted into the hall of fame yet?

From the Herald: The Sioux didn't come across many fans Tuesday. Today, several are expected at the team's practice. There even could be a Tony Hrkac sighting.

Hrkac, UND's only Hobey Baker Memorial Award winner as the best player in college hockey, lives in Milwaukee. After helping the Sioux win the national championship in 1987, he played several years in the National Hockey League and in the minors in such cities as Milwaukee.

"Hopefully, we'll get a chance to bump into him," Hakstol said of Hrkac.

**Why isn't he inducted into the hall of fame yet?

College hockey has a hall of fame?

If you are asking why not the NHL hall of fame, it's probably because, though he did have a good NHL career, it wasn't a Hall of Fame worthy one, IMO. Yeah, sucks to say that about a UND player, but I just don't see Hall of Fame numbers from Hrkac's career.

Fun to reflect & compare

Tony was UNREAL his second yr here - I still have Good Dreams of that Team & Season - Johnson was my Favorite player & Joyce kinda got Robbed By Hrkac ...cause he stole the spotlight (Joyces #'s were just behind Hrkacs) But he had a long Great pro career too & Eddie was out of his mind too (Is there a pic of Hrkac with the Stanley Cup in the Ralph ? Like Belfours?)

It's Funny how guys like Oshie & Stafford & Toews & Parise are all different than Hrkac - Joyce - Johnson & Belfour - It is what makes the Game so Great I guess ---How they are super skilled, yet skate so different & play their positions so well, in unique ways

Who can forget Hrkac being behind the net with the puck & unlike today, not being attacked - If he was he would of went around em & scored, instead he could stand back there with the puck & feed it to whoever & dazzle everyone

I don't see the players today as confident in their scoring abilities (But their getting close) Maybe if they play a couple years together that will show again

Bobyck (man he could fly) & Ian Kidd stood out... again like Duncan - Sparky - Zajac & Smaby

Berry has to be a remarkable coach (as well as Eaves & Hak) But Berry has taken a young defense & stood em up in one year, to show their talent ...... overall todays team has more talent than the 87 guys --- hard to imagine how good they could be, if they stuck around - you just don't get to see this much really young talent very often, on one team - where the 87 teams really had a bunch that the lights came on at once & they made the most of it

The desire to WIN & make it happen is the only unproven factor left --Parise has it (hard to compare him & Eddie otherwise) This time of year that has to be the Biggest desire & motivator ...No Fear & we won't be Denied attitude

Like in this article - How many get to go on & taste success at so many levels ? Alot of these Guys may... But this is the 1st Big Test of that & chance to record it in history

I attended one of my first college hockey games during the Hrkac's years and I distinctly remember these passing drills they would do in warm ups. They would basically just flip the pucks back and forth to each other and catching the pucks on their sticks. I may have been young and dumb but that drill amazed me in the couple of times I saw it. That 1987 team was amazing to watch.

OK the two top teams in the country. Minnesota and UND.

Second period we're skating shorthanded. Tony Hrkac intercepts a pass between the two blue-liners and skates in for a shorthanded break-a-way.

You may as well ended the game right there.

My favorite Hrkac moment.

I also remember in his first season when he was #7 the game he scored 6 assists in one game. (I think Travis Roche equaled that).

I was there at the Hobey Awards banquet and got my picture taken with Tony along with a signed autograph...perfect moment for a 23 year old!

Oh yeah and drinkin bloody mary's with my father at 10am was the other highlight -- although mom wasn't impressed!!!

I attended one of my first college hockey games during the Hrkac's years and I distinctly remember these passing drills they would do in warm ups. They would basically just flip the pucks back and forth to each other and catching the pucks on their sticks. I may have been young and dumb but that drill amazed me in the couple of times I saw it. That 1987 team was amazing to watch.

That's interesting. I wonder if that's the same drill Steve Johnson has the Lincoln Stars do during warm-ups. The 4 groups of forward lines each form a triangle and 2 of the forwards quickly alternate passing 2 pucks back and forth to the other forward. They do this for a couple of minutes and then switch positions in the triangle.

When they really get serious about the drill it is pretty fun to watch.

The drill you are describing is indeed a Sioux drill. It is a "touch passing' drill, used to increase speed along with developing accuracey and a "soft" bottom hand. It is not an easy drill, but when you go back to one puck, it seems a heck of a lot easier than before. If you have never watched an entire hockey practice of a top college team, pro team, or international team, you have really missed out on something. I encourage any of you to do so, whenever it might be available to you, especially if you are interested in coaching at any level.

of course Eades :D I have been sick with the FLU & my brain is just kinda recovering :D

I suppose next some ying Yang schools will want our Coaches too - But Heck I'd wish em the best - Once a Sioux always a Sioux deep in their Hearts (Just ask Sanderlin) :D & Hak deserves praises & accolades & I bet they are coming soon

Maybe I can blame some of my other spelling on allergies cause I have em yr round :D

Someone said in another thread that kessel will be a 60 pointer next year ... :D I don't see it - Tony had the hussle & skill & never wasted much time while on the ice - His (Hrkacs) vision & confidence & skill was why - truely magical

I see Oshie as having the Tony Hrkacs type skills to have a magical year like his - Greg Johnson & Blake were close - so was Panzer & Parise... (kinda) But none had the same magic. Toews could be the next Bob Joyce

Some real solid SCORING (magical) defensemen would be nice - we have/had some good ones for sure, but again in the magical category... ? I have seen a few in NHL classic films (Pro's) but live I have not really ever seen one

Two players come to mind in that scenario.

Matt Carle

Alex Goligoski

Those two guys can put up 1st line forward-type numbers from the blueline.

Now if Lee could get to that place...

Lee might still end up with the freshman scoring record at UND. Lee has played well since the SCSU sweep.

I doubt Belfour, he just had back surgery so he's probably recovering or with the team, who has games both Thursday and Saturday.

As for others, Brandon Bochenski now lives in Chicago (45 minute drive) and has Thursday off, but not Saturday. Also, Troy Murray works for the BHawks and has the same schedule (other than practices) as Bochenski.

Matt Greene will be in the Chicago area on Saturday, he plays in Minnesota on Thursday and Chicago on Friday, then St. Louis on Sunday, if the team allows him to leave on Saturday (if we win) he might make the trip up Saturday night for the game. If he wants obviously, and the team allows him to, but why wouldn't either want to!!! It's the Sioux!!

Another thing I remembered about Hrkac is that it seemed that he moved his stick with his eyes.

That is he could react with his stick to the puck as quickly as your eyes reacted to the puck. That I haven't seemed since.

Fun to reflect & compare

...... overall todays team has more talent than the 87 guys ---

Is that the new math Boomer? No f'ing way....smile.gif

Young Raw Talent & More of them with the potential ...way

The college game has more high end NHL prospects now than ever before. I sure hope that the current Sioux team will put up better cumulative numbers than the 1987 team. I know that ain't gonna happen in the net, but it should up front.

No question that the 1987 team was a truly dominant college team, and an absolute blast to watch. As far as pure talent I'd take this class.

I was at Joe Louis Arena when we beat Mich State for the National Championship. Hrkac was amazing that game and I remember how a move at center ice took the air out of the crowd. He beat a check, slipped the puck past the defenseman and did some kind of skip, hop, pirouette thing that let him go unchallenged to the net. The move was so good I can't even remember if he scored.

But I do remember a Mich St fan in front of me saying "Oh my".

I was at Joe Louis Arena when we beat Mich State for the National Championship. Hrkac was amazing that game and I remember how a move at center ice took the air out of the crowd. He beat a check, slipped the puck past the defenseman and did some kind of skip, hop, pirouette thing that let him go unchallenged to the net. The move was so good I can't even remember if he scored.

But I do remember a Mich St fan in front of me saying "Oh my".

I believe after that move he fed Bobyck who then scored.