SiouxSports.com Forum

Early outs

GBpakrzz

Exactly. Hirsch, Kessel, Wheeler, Gordon, Stoa, Okposo, Howe, Chucko, etc. The forwards are not a concern. Defense is the key to next season. I doubt there's another team in the country who will be adding two elite d-men like Johnson(hopefully) and Hagemo to their roster. That will be a HUGE help.

Overall the defense will be better next year and if Frazee steps it up, so will the goaltending. Like I said before, the gophers will always have skilled, good skating forwards who will perform well.

I don't know about Howe and Chucko on that list. They both had pretty lousy year's in my opinion. Wheeler was not all that great either considering his draft status. Hirsch is a big question mark, who knows if he will be back or not and if he is as effective as before. The Goofs have some big shoes to fill but I agree they will be better on D if all the players expected show up in the fall and Hagemo returns (another big if) with the bad shoulder.

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully we can hang a banner because I have a bad feeling that as soon as this weekend is over the mass exodus will begin. It's just a matter of how many. It sucks for college hockey fans but this is the way it is going to be and the new CBA is bad for college hockey.

It's exactly why I wanted the Gophers to win it this year. I think the early departures will settle down after this year when the 10% bonus kicks in, but this season is going to have have record numbers of signings in my opinion. Both due to the talent in the college game and the benifit of signing this season.

Does anyone know what type bonus the 1st round guys this summer are eligible for?

I agree about the possibility of a good amount of Sioux players signing. Let's hope that only 2 or 3 sign at most, but there is the chance of 2-3 more. Losing 5 players would be a huge blow.

But I also agree that if they only lose 2 players or less, next year's Sioux team could be even scarier as long as they retain their chemistry and solid work ethic.

Exactly. Hirsch, Kessel, Wheeler, Gordon, Stoa, Okposo, Howe, Chucko, etc. The forwards are not a concern. Defense is the key to next season. I doubt there's another team in the country who will be adding two elite d-men like Johnson(hopefully) and Hagemo to their roster. That will be a HUGE help.

Overall the defense will be better next year and if Frazee steps it up, so will the goaltending. Like I said before, the gophers will always have skilled, good skating forwards who will perform well.

Unfortunately, talent that doesn't emerge through hard work has a high probability of being diluted. Happens to every team that recruits blue chip players. Potulny and Irmen's goals will easily be replaced by the likes of, Kessel, Wheeler, Gordon, and Stoa etc. It all depends how the players respond to their assigned roles. Kessel will get 60+ pts next season, Wheeler seems to be somewhat lazy so who knows how he'll perform, Gordon is progressing nicely and Stoa should be able to equal what Irmen did this year. Every team has question marks at the beginning of the season and most of them have become cliches. The defensive corps is not bad but Hagemo will be done one hard hit into the season and the only thing Frazee will be stepping up to is a barstool. I think the biggest question mark for the gophers is when will Lucia get them playing together as a group the way he did a few yrs ago. The hope of rejuvinated chemistry is what Mn needs, not goals. You can't win on talent alone as witnessed March 24th, 2006. But for now, the Sioux have the chemistry aspect of their game clicking because of the character of the players and the attitude development by the coaches. I'm really proud of their accomplishments this year. Win or lose, all 4 teams competing this weekend will have a different look to them next season because of early departures.

GO SIOUX!

GOPHERS LINEUP FOR 06/07

FORWARDS

BLAH...BLAH...BLAH

DEFENSEMEN

WHO CARES...WHO CARES

GOALIE

SIEVE NO MATTER WHOS IN NET

POWERPLAY UNITS

REALLY..............WHO CARESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

We had a really good streak going there, but I just can't agree with this. I care, I care man.

you want to start this then OK..............in hate to bring up classless acts but since you want to then lets go..yeah, the hrisch situation was tough and it was blown out at first because the lucia pet and others would not release any info about him, if a normal person watched him go crazy and bulldoze the net your 1st take is OK THAT KID IS CRAZY.....thats not being mean at all but just a natural reaction, thats all.(if it was a sioux player then of course all you 1st class gophers fans would have left it alone) yeahhhh....then after it came out that he does have some mental issues then MOST of us backed off..personally i hope he gets his stuff together as it sounds like he will give it another shot next year at umtc......how about the fools that had the handicap bus sign for bina in the crowd...now there is total class to the fullest..big props to those guys as it took 2 scratched sioux players to get the sign....hmmmmmmmmmmm...security never saw the sign?:D or other gopher fans didnt bother to say anything..hell we could go on and on for a while and probably go back and forth but just chill out and grab a beer or 2 and enjoy the frozen 4 as your 2 favorite non-gopher teams battle it out for the national title......

The reason why Lucia or others did not release any information is because of the privacy act. Information can't be released to the media without the consent of the family. If he does release info he or the school can be sued.

Nice to see i can piss everyone off with one remark. While Walski may have made however many saves in that game, besides irmen and potulny, when was the last time any talent came out of ND? I'm not referring to Walski with that remark, but rather the team he was playing against and their goal scoring talent. He played a hell of a game, but I dont think he can be the guy to back up Lammy, and take over and carry the Sioux if something happened to Lammy. Maybe I am wrong.

This post makes me laugh. Walski can't be a good backup for the Sioux because he's from North Dakota. I find this rather ironic considering Lamoureux will be the #1 goalie for the Sioux if Jordan leaves early. :D

Your remark doesn't piss me off, but rather leads me to believe you're a little naive about the talent coming out of the area. :D

It's too bad that Holy Cross doesn't have a board then you would have another thing to do while were still playing :D (by the way how did that Kessel thing work out for the team this year)

The end was sad, but the rest of the season was pretty enjoyable. Sure I'd like the Gophers to still be playing and the Holy Cross game will never be forgotten, but to say Kessel didn't work out isn't exactly accurate either. Take away 75% of Kessel's assists due to cheap seconds or rebound goals by RP and you still have a 30pt freshmen.

----

On topic. It looks to me like any first round pick who gets offered max bonus this year will have to strongly consider leaving. It is unrealistic to ask players to basically accept 1/3 of the money they would get this year in order to play another year of college hockey. Player development can occur in many places, not just NCAA Hockey. I don't think the Gophers are done losing players and I'd be surprised if the Sioux don't lose as many as the Gophers if not more.

The end was sad, but the rest of the season was pretty enjoyable. Sure I'd like the Gophers to still be playing and the Holy Cross game will never be forgotten, but to say Kessel didn't work out isn't exactly accurate either. Take away 75% of Kessel's assists due to cheap seconds or rebound goals by RP and you still have a 30pt freshmen.

----

On topic. It looks to me like any first round pick who gets offered max bonus this year will have to strongly consider leaving. It is unrealistic to ask players to basically accept 1/3 of the money they would get this year in order to play another year of college hockey. Player development can occur in many places, not just NCAA Hockey. I don't think the Gophers are done losing players and I'd be surprised if the Sioux don't lose as many as the Gophers if not more.

I wasn't dissing Kessel per say but just responding to the kessel.com comment by the other poster. Kessel has and will be a good player no matter who he plays for :D

As good as a player he is, and as good a career in the NHL as I think he'll have; I don't think he's going to make an impact with NJ this year or even next year.

Look at Zach Parise. I think he's still a year or two from approaching his potential. NJ could have sat on their money and let him play another year in college and they'd be just as well off. (in my opinion that is) And Zach was a completely dominating player in college or course and he will have a great NHL career.

I don't blame any college player for taking the money when it's offered.

Fighting Sioux sophomore center Travis Zajac, the Devils' first-round pick in 2004, has told teammates that he wants to sign with the Devils after this season.

Ouch...that's too bad. :D

I would really love to see him in a Sioux uni next season; I think he could be a very dominant player and be in contention for the Hobey. But it looks like that may not happen...

I guess the lure of the NHL and money outweighs playing with his brother next season at UND. :D

Ouch...that's too bad. :D

I would really love to see him in a Sioux uni next season; I think he could be a very dominant player and be in contention for the Hobey. But it looks like that may not happen...

I guess the lure of the NHL and money outweighs playing with his brother next season at UND. :D

I trust that this did not come from "his mom" - which seems to be so prevelant around here lately

I agree with Sagard. I think college hockey in general is going to lose many promising players that were or are to be drafted this year. The Sioux could lose Stafford,Parise,Smaby, Zajac, Toews, Oshie, Sparky, Lee, Chorney , and Finley among others. Some Gopher casualties could be Goligoski, Kessell, Wheeler and recruits Erik Johnson and Kyle Okposo. This list is just from the top of my head and certainly not exhaustive.

Each of these guys have individual situations but if the pro team with your rights offers close to the max with a $400,000 to $500,000 bonus, it will be hard to turn down. Next year the same max offer would only net about a $150,000 to $200,000 bonus, from what I have read. Thats an awful lot of money to leave on the table. I hope I'm wrong but I think many good college players will sign. :D

I don't knock any player taking the big money. I sometimes question the economics for the business offering them that money when they might have a more valuable player in the long run. (Games vs Practice)

Certainly New Jersey didn't get a finished product by having Zach Parise play in Albany last year.

I havent been following this thread but how serious was that mention of Barry Melrose saying this will be Jonathon Toews last season in Nodak?

I suppose that all depends on where he's at in draft order (which sounds like he'll be top 4 at least), and how bad the team who drafts him wants him playing for them next year.