SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux - Huskies Final Five Championship Game

dagies

SCSU might be well positioned to be the first team to win the FF from the play-in game.

A goaltender who can steal games and has all year.

SCSU has beaten the Sioux the last 2 meetings, even though the Sioux played well.

SCSU plays a solid defensive game, not giving up too much in front of the net, and trying to keep the shots from the outside and clearing out the rebounds.

An opportunistic team with enough finishing ability to make the most of their offensive opportunities.

They know winning tomorrow gets them into the NCAA's.

Hopefully the Sioux will find enough cracks in BG's armor to get the job done tomorrow night.

I don't want the Sioux to lose but if they win won't that mean 5 WCHA teams in the finals? I'm hoping that three games in a row for SCSU with this last one being a hard fight down to the wire will give us a bit of an advantage tomorrow night.

All I know is that the Minnesota's Angels on Ice have had the Final Five in their own backyard 9 times in the past 10 years and made the title game exactly 4 times, winning it in 2003 and 2004, but losing in 1997 and 2002.

By contrast, North Dakota has now been in the title game in 1997 (win), 1998 (loss @ Bradley Center), 2000 (win), 2001 (loss), and 2004 (loss). It's time to make it 3-3 in championship games since 1997 as well as avenge that 2001 heartbreaker to SCSU.

The time is now for UND to win the throphy tomorrow night. I think it would be a nice way to end the tourney before the regional next weekend. The team is looking good and played well today. The defense are keeping the oppostion to the out side and picking up loose pucks and smacking people every chance they get.

It looks a lot like last season all over again. What a game today against the Badgers. It was also fun watching the Huskies beat the Goofers tonight.

I don't want the Sioux to lose but if they win won't that mean 5 WCHA teams in the finals? I'm hoping that three games in a row for SCSU with this last one being a hard fight down to the wire will give us a bit of an advantage tomorrow night.

In the NCAA Tourny you mean? Hard to say. Game results today could drop CC enough to be out of a bid. It appears that St. Cloud needs the win tonight in order to make the tournament, which I don't like, as that gives them a lot to shoot for, while we've virtually secured our spot. I still think the toughest period for the Sioux will be the 1st, as this will be the period where St. Cloud comes out strong. If we can come out of the first okay, I think we'll be in good position for the remainder of the evening. It's 6:38am, and I'm ready for the game! Only 13 more hours!

Mad props to SCSU for playing an incredible amount of hockey in the past 9-10 days and still finding the heart to keep the legs going. This team is physically and mentally tough. Lets turn up the tempo tonight to "full" and take advantage and finish them off.

You gotta love this Sioux team. Two weeks ago posters were saying "let's face it, this team is going nowhere"...now we are seeing rookie talent, upper classman leadership, and team chemistry that doesn't come around very often. Without a doubt the Sioux are the most exciting D1 team to watch right now. When someone goes down someone else steps up. The upper classmen are unselfish and leaders. Marvin put in a nice game, Prpich's post game comments on Kaip were excellent.

Oshie is and amazing player. He's fun to watch in a way the Hrkus Circus was, he just makes you say "hmm". Duncan and Kaip showed us some great offensive talent yesterday.

This team acts like you'd expect a Sioux to team to act. Confidence, pride, no back-down, speed, talent, toughness, smarts. Only only one stupid penalty last night (dissapointing it came from a Jr, it almost cost us the game). They are a force to be reckoned with.

I live out east and believe me, the Fighting Sioux program gets a lot of respect out here in CCHA country, they are considered the Gold Standard (and I mean "Gold" in a good way) and I'm proud to see this team living up to those expectations.

I live out east and believe me, the Fighting Sioux program gets a lot of respect out here in CCHA country, they are considered the Gold Standard (and I mean "Gold" in a good way) and I'm proud to see this team living up to those expectations.

That made me feel good all over. :huh:

Mad props to SCSU for playing an incredible amount of hockey in the past 9-10 days and still finding the heart to keep the legs going. This team is physically and mentally tough. Lets turn up the tempo tonight to "full" and take advantage and finish them off.

You gotta love this Sioux team. Two weeks ago posters were saying "let's face it, this team is going nowhere"...now we are seeing rookie talent, upper classman leadership, and team chemistry that doesn't come around very often. Without a doubt the Sioux are the most exciting D1 team to watch right now. When someone goes down someone else steps up. The upper classmen are unselfish and leaders. Marvin put in a nice game, Prpich's post game comments on Kaip were excellent.

Oshie is and amazing player. He's fun to watch in a way the Hrkus Circus was, he just makes you say "hmm". Duncan and Kaip showed us some great offensive talent yesterday.

This team acts like you'd expect a Sioux to team to act. Confidence, pride, no back-down, speed, talent, toughness, smarts. Only only one stupid penalty last night (dissapointing it came from a Jr, it almost cost us the game). They are a force to be reckoned with.

Excellent.

Go Sioux! Get them Huskies!

taz

I have to say that last night's win was one of the sweeter in recent memory. This team played with a lot of heart for the entire game. You can tell they are on a mission. The freshman are stepping up in a huge way and it will be exciting to see what they do in the NCAA when they get Big D back.

Tonight's game will not be easy to win, but won't be as crucial to play a full 60 minutes of top-notch hockey. Last night, the Sioux could hardly afford to make many mistakes with such a great goaltender in Elliott. Tonight, I think Jordy can shut down the eight goal Huskies we saw against the Gophers.

I have come to the conclusion that Briggs is continuing the Gopher tradition of mediocre goaltending. He was playing pretty good during the regular season, but after last night I have no respect.

I wish I could go to the boxing match at the X today at 2:30 between heavyweights Wisconsin and Minnesota, but I have to save my money so I can go insane at tonight's championship game. Oh yeah baby! Go Sioux!

I have to say that last night's win was one of the sweeter in recent memory. This team played with a lot of heart for the entire game. You can tell they are on a mission. The freshman are stepping up in a huge way and it will be exciting to see what they do in the NCAA when they get Big D back.

Tonight's game will not be easy to win, but won't be as crucial to play a full 60 minutes of top-notch hockey. Last night, the Sioux could hardly afford to make many mistakes with such a great goaltender in Elliott. Tonight, I think Jordy can shut down the eight goal Huskies we saw against the Gophers.

I have come to the conclusion that Briggs is continuing the Gopher tradition of mediocre goaltending. He was playing pretty good during the regular season, but after last night I have no respect.

I wish I could go to the boxing match at the X today at 2:30 between heavyweights Wisconsin and Minnesota, but I have to save my money so I can go insane at tonight's championship game. Oh yeah baby! Go Sioux!

i agree, if minnesota has one weakness, its their goaltending..

I would now like to perform my best Gopher fan impression.

This game against Wisconsin really doesn't mean anything. We're really looking towards the NCAA tournament and if we win today it would be nice, but if we lose it doesn't matter. We're the number one team in the country and we lost to the 18th ranked team in our backyard, but it doesn't matter. It's just a hockey game and there are more important things.

Now, I will do my best Sioux fan impression, which is pretty much my normal voice.

Minnesota can't even win with three extra players on the ice for a whole 60 minutes. Imagine how they'll do in the NCAA tournament when they have to play even strength the entire game. Go Sioux!

I agree 110%. I now in the Twin cities and everyone I work with has been saying: "they do not want to play the Sioux" If they do and lose it does't matter and when they found out the Goofers were play SCSU they said if we loose it doesn't matter becasue we (The Goofers) are going to the NCAA and they'er not.

One other thing the Goofers are living up to what most high progile Minnestoa Teams do..... CHOKE.

Look at the T-Wolves, the Wild ( I do like the Wild) The Twins( I do like the Twins) the ViQueens, the Goofer Basketball Teams, the Gopher Football Team.

Last night's 8 goal outburst for St Cloud was a combination of factors. One was mystifying passes by Gopher D (Goligoski flings it right at (?) Hooten in the slot for goal #6 ... Harrington with a great centering pass earlier. Another was Vanelli pinching and getting caught (but the situation called for gambling). And the goaltending by both Briggs and Freezy was as soft as you'll ever see at this level.

If the Sioux fling the puck around like that tonight, we can expect to give up a bunch of goals. I don't see it happening at this point. We were terrific yesterday with the first pass, especially our top D. If we play as well tonight as yesterday, and don't take penalties, SCSU will be hard pressed to get even 2 goals.

On the other hand, we didn't get sustained offensive pressure much yesterday. I thought we got a couple quirky bounces on 3 goals. And UW got a couple bounces too ... Could just as well have been a 1-1 game.

KEYS for the SIOUX:

1) Hit Hit Hit. SCSU is gassed. They stopped moving their feet the last 30: of last night. Getting hit repeatedly takes some of the energy level down.

2) Use speed, move the feet. We're quicker PLUS fresher.

3) Use the whole bench. I think UND's 4th line is better than SCSU's 4th line ... meaning we can have top guys fresher for PK and PP.

4) Poise in our own zone.

Time to claim the autobid. ... and if so, it just might be the case that #1 overall Minnesota gets sent out east as the fairer outcome than sending them into GF and the tougher road to the Frozen Four.

...One other thing the Goofers are living up to what most high progile Minnestoa Teams do..... CHOKE...

The Gophs choked last night to be sure, but it's not like the boys in green are immune to gagging occasionally...

On topic. Tonights game should be fun. SCSU will no doubt go all out as long as they can, but I think the Sioux played VERY well after the opening 10 minutes yesterday and should win fairly easily. Of course I felt that way about the Gophs/SCSU game as well. :huh:

Time to claim the autobid. ... and if so, it just might be the case that #1 overall Minnesota gets sent out east as the fairer outcome than sending them into GF and the tougher road to the Frozen Four.

The Gophs blew that chance last night. It's going to be the WCHA playoff champion and the WCHA Regular Season champ in a quarter final. How nice for UW and the rest of the NCAA teams. :huh:

The Gophs choked last night to be sure, but it's not like the boys in green are immune to gagging occasionally...

On topic. Tonights game should be fun. SCSU will no doubt go all out as long as they can, but I think the Sioux played VERY well after the opening 10 minutes yesterday and should win fairly easily. Of course I felt that way about the Gophs/SCSU game as well. ;)

props to you sagard, you seem to be the only consistent gopher fan poster on SS to show up today and take some heat but also knowing its in great fun as well.... :huh:

All I know is that the Minnesota's Angels on Ice have had the Final Five in their own backyard 9 times in the past 10 years and made the title game exactly 4 times, winning it in 2003 and 2004, but losing in 1997 and 2002.

By contrast, North Dakota has now been in the title game in 1997 (win), 1998 (loss @ Bradley Center), 2000 (win), 2001 (loss), and 2004 (loss). It's time to make it 3-3 in championship games since 1997 as well as avenge that 2001 heartbreaker to SCSU.

can't believe that nobody has posted about the nice coincidences of what else happened those 2 years we won the broadmoor (97 and 00). perhaps a win tonight could be the official spark to another something special. :huh:

can't believe that nobody has posted about the nice coincidences of what else happened those 2 years we won the broadmoor (97 and 00). perhaps a win tonight could be the official spark to another something special. :huh:

I thought about that immediately following the St. Cloud win yesterday, and thought to myself, I'm just going to shut my mouth!

Espn college hockey commentator "Bob", I didn't catch his last name while listening to XM, just picked THE FIGHTING SIOUX to win the National Chamionship. "Too much talent, great goaltending." I told you guys, UND is THE hockey program everyone wishes they had. Drop the puck!

Espn college hockey commentator "Bob", I didn't catch his last name while listening to XM, just picked THE FIGHTING SIOUX to win the National Chamionship. "Too much talent, great goaltending." I told you guys, UND is THE hockey program everyone wishes they had. Drop the puck!

Nice to hear that about the program, and about JPar. I think he is one of the most unrecognized goalies in the country, yet he's definitely been the backbone to this team this year.

On topic. Tonights game should be fun. SCSU will no doubt go all out as long as they can, but I think the Sioux played VERY well after the opening 10 minutes yesterday and should win fairly easily. Of course I felt that way about the Gophs/SCSU game as well. :lol:

I agree! If UND can show up, I think they can win the NC. If not, it'll be a flat disappointing game that they lose in either the Regionals or FF. I just hope they show up.

One think I like about playing SCSU tonight is that they will be playing their 6th game in 9 days, but I also thought that I saw that their 4th line was still getting shifts late in the game last night. Could mean that they will be a bit better rested than the Sioux might expect.

The scary part is that MN honestly isn't going to lose many games this year, and I hope Fri's game wasn't the last they needed to get out of their system. It truly is a meaningless game in terms of the goal of winning the NC for them. I hope they learned nothing from last night's loss! They are a very scary team.