SiouxSports.com Forum

Brandt plays well

Wantagh

Even though I think the team gave a better effort than Friday, which isn't saying much, I think the real bright spot was Brandt's play.  He has talent for sure, but I hope he starts from now on to give him the needed confidence and experience to really take it to the next level.  

Didn't win, but maybe there's a small, but welcome, glimmer of hope for the next half of the season.  

I think Clayton (I believe he was the one that predicted this)is right Andy should be sitting on the bench with a clip board in his hand and a ball cap on his head, maybe sporting some new eye wear.

I also think Andy should be thankfull that Blais hasn't cut him yet. If I was the coach I would have. I

n fact I would point to the bench and tell him where he would be sitting for the rest of the season if he gets confussed. If he doesn't like it he can leave.

Maybe just maybe by the the grace of God Andy should get an occassional start or a back up appearance, you know the mop up. No offense to the folks that like Andy but he is bruttal. If he was a race horse we would have shot him already.

I think Blais should have went to Jake sooner. My next question is why did Sofie get to play instead of Brandt. I am confused here.

I also think Andy by his play this season

It's encouraging that Brandt played well, but I'm not ready to annoint him the successor.

While Kollar obviously has struggled, I think it's sad and a bit disrespectful to want him thrown overboard.  I, for one, appreciate his significant contributions to the teams that finished first and second in the nation the last two years.  He's earned the right to wear the sweater and be remembered as the player who won the 2000 Final Five and the 2000 NCAA quarterfinal game.

While Kollar cost the team some points this year, he also got some all by himself.  Saturday against CC, he was the difference.  Saturday in Mankato, the tie was his, as he had huge saves down the stretch.

At the same time, I agree with Blais that he cannot, out of loyalty, play someone who is not getting the job done.  His commitment to the program is too important for that.  If Andy earns the PT in practice, he should play.  If he plays well, he should play again.  If not, he sits.  

It sounds like the team played better this weekend.  I have some hope for the future.

Ok, why should the Sioux keep comming back with him if he can't keep getting the job done. How many chances does he need to prove himself. He has had enough chances. What makes anyone think he can return to any resemblence of two years ago. I don't think he can...

Maybe the reason Andy had better performances the last couple of years is the players in front of him, unseasoned defense...

I look at Wisconsin they are not that good but have a good goaltender. I think Andy should be able to put in a preformance such as the one that Bruckler did. He hasn't done it this season only in game where he faced 17-30 shots, Bruckler faced over 40 shots...

Why should Blaiser stick with him? What has done for us this season?

I'm not saying he should play.  I'm saying he should not be run off the team.  He's earned the right to be on the team, and he should play if he gets his game straightened out.  He's obviously struggling now, so I have no problem sitting him.  But just because he's struggling, along with the rest of the team, is no reason to consider him a disgrace.

The main difference with the goaltending situation this season is that in the past when the starter had problems, there was a freshman who would step up and take over the starting job as well as or better than that starter.  Look at Sweitzer, Karl, and Andy over the past 5 years.  Now, when Andy is having problems, there hasn't been that young guy who has stepped up and taken over.  Brandt and Sofie sure haven't done that and I don't really see one of them doing it this season.

But, I suppose we'll see in the second half of the season if someone can step up.

The past couple of seasons a number of us thought that the team played better in front of Kollar than Goerhing much of the time.  I'm thinking that "new blood" in the net might motivate the team to play a bit harder to keep the pressure off the young guy.  I have nothing but respect for Andy and his contributions to the program, but he is just not getting it done right now.  If Brandt or somebody else can step up, let them and hope the rest of team follows suit.

I believe Andy simply has the make-up to be an excellent reserve goaltender. He was fabulous when he was needed (meaning Karl Goehring wasn't available). It is a completely different mindset being the #1. Andy hasn't handled the transition well. If we could just find a way to convince him he is the #2 again. ;)

I agree with JK.  Andy shouldn't be run off the team, but Andy needs to prove that he has the mental make-up and physical skills to be the starter.  Until then Brandt should start.  

One game is too quick to annoint Brandt the savior, but we know Sofie is not the guy, so give Brandt his shot, just like Andy has had his.

Let the better man win until a new goalie shows up.

Dagies said:

I agree with JK.  Andy shouldn't be run off the team, but Andy needs to prove that he has the mental make-up and physical skills t be the starter.  Until then Brandt should start.

I agree with you Dagies that Andy does not have have the mental make up now, and I don't see him getting back this season either? So why does Blais keep coming back with him? If the season is a wash and we are going to be lucky to get a home series shouldn't we be focusing on Brandt. What do we owe Andy? Toby was asked to back up and took the role very well. Maybe Andy needs to accept this role too.

I also think that the people infront of Andy don't feel very much confidence in his abilities, this is apparent by thier body language.

Does anyone think we are ever going to get really good consistant goaltending this season. How many goalies are we going to keep on the team. I hope Blais is out recruiting another Goalie or three, sounds like Seindieve (sp) is injury prone.

Too often of late the Bad Andy has shown up and started in goal.  We DO owe him a debt of gratitude for the way be backed-up

Karl the last couple of years, both during and post-season.  But I have to agree with Blais the integrity of the program comes before loyalty to any one player.  It's the job of the goalie to keep a team in position to win the game and the job of the other five guys on the ice to  put the puck in the opponent's net.  Way too many rebounds are not being cleared after the Sioux goalie makes the initial stop on the puck.  A team wins as a team and loses as a team.  I don't think it's ever a good idea to start casting blame on a single scapegoat.  There's plenty of responsibility (a word I prefer to "blame") to go around for the Sioux having a below .500 record.

UND77 posted another web page...

Sioux Goalie Found!!!

Well...it seems the search is over!

Dean Blais has finally found the Sioux goalie of the future, and right here at UND.

Just today I talked to a few players on the team and they confirmed it.

At first I thought it was former EGF goalie Tom White who graduated from Eastside a couple years ago...but it appears it isnt, although Blais did talk to him about it.

From the best of my knowledge and a few Sioux players, the goalie to be rotating with Brandt is going to be UND Junior Garret Hythklop from Chow Chilla, CA...apparently he played for a team in Fresno for a few seasons and played awfully well. How Blais found out about him I havent a clue but I guess he's supposed to be in the pads working out on Monday...

This should be interesting I think...maybe just what the boys need

Is there any credibility to this post... Maybe Dock Nodak or Dagies can shed some light on this, they seem to have more information than others.

(Edited by Goon at 11:05 am on Dec. 10, 2001)

Goon, welcome to the Sioux-per Fan club   :biggrin:

I don't know why Blais has stayed with Andy so long.

I agree that I might have played Brandt a bit more earlier, considering how inconsistent Andy has been.

Could be that Blais was giving Andy every possible opportunity to work himself out, given his previous track record backing up Karl, and that he is a senior.  Remember, last year Karl didn't have the greatest year to start with and only came on later in the year.  (No, he wasn't as bad as Andy has been).   So maybe Blais was trying to give Andy that time to square away his game.

Could be he has little confidence in Sofie and Brandt.  With Sofie, that is no surprise.  With Brandt, who knows.  Rumors of attitiude are just that, but could play into it.  Or, maybe in practice the guy just doesn't show he deserves ice time.  I don't know.

YaneA makes an interesting point about rebounds not being cleared.  I am no hockey or goalie expert, but even I could see the big difference in rebounds that Kollar left out front in the past, compared to Goehring.  But he got away with it.  Maybe our current D just isn't as adept at protecting the goal from that second shot....

• 2 weeks later...

How soon we forget that Kollar helped us to where we were the last couple of years.  Let him bow out with some dignity.  What are you guys all Minnesota Vikings fans as well.  You go which every way the ship goes.  You should be embarrassed being band wagoners.  Show some class.  How would you like to be in his shoes.

Last Weekend I was in Bemidji and St Clown for the BSU and SCSU series and I was talking to one of my buddies (who does TV for Bemidji State University Hockey on Charter Communications) about UND goal tending woes. I had told him UND should stick a fork in Andy he is done. I told him about Andy's lack of fortune and possible vision problems. You know how he had played and Yadda, Yadda, the whole nine yards and the 200 foot soft goals the whole nine yards, blown leads, bad defense.

Scott turns to me and says Goon, Andy will be back one day he will show up to the rink and play just like he had during the 2000 final five, right now his confidence is shaken and needs to just get his head in the game. I have another suggestion think about hockey and get out of the edge.

Which brings up another issue. If this new goalie comes which I cant find any credible to back this claim up and Brandt keeps playing well could this be the end of Andy? If the Sioux get on a roll which I think they might do we risk it. Do we play the Young goaltenders and let Andy gracefully stroll off into the edge of the night?

Or do we keep coming back to Andy, personally I say not. We need to get ready for next season becaue I doubt the Playoffs are going to be a possibility this season. Actually I wounder what is going to happen next season when we have three goalies that could all be really good. Brandt Seindieve, Siemdiea. I sure that Sofie will be asked not to return...

(Edited by Goon at 12:17 pm on Dec. 24, 2001)

ScottM brings up some good points. It appears that maybe James Massen might have finally arrived as I believe that he had three points in the last series. I think he could make a huge contribution if he could get his game going.

I haven't give up hope yet... I believe that the Sioux need to split with the Gophers, and C.C. to make a serious run for the top 4 spots in the league. Anything to avoid the Thursday play in game at the Excel center...

I agree Heidi.  While I have not been impressed with Andy's play for most of this year, I was and am still pulling for him.  I feel badly for him as we all know this is not how he wants things to go.  But as Scott said, you are only as good as your last game and Andy had more than a fair chance to work himself out of his funk earlier this season.  It is now someone else's turn as long as they can prove they can play better.  If Andy can come back to prove he is equal or better than our other goaltending options, then I will cheer him back on the ice.

As stated, it is also true that this team needs more improvement than just in goal.  This team is where it is currently at because of the play of the whole team.