SiouxSports.com Forum

WCHA players of the Week

Sioux-Hockey-Fan

I would just like to give a big congrates to Jonathan Toews for being co-rookie of the Week. He is on one heck of a tear. Lets hope he keeps it up!

Also I would like to congratulate Jordan Parise for being nominated for Defensive Player of the week. (which he was robbed of) heck... anyone posting back to back shut-outs should be an automatic pick!

and lastly, congratulations are in order for Drew Stafford for being nominated for Offensive Player of the week. (I thought he was robbed too) 3 goals and 1 assist on the weekend with 2 of the goals being shortys!

WTG guys. Keep it rollin' in the post-season

I didn't realize that missing on an empty net gets you Co-ROY, but at least it wasn't Kessel... who was held scoreless and shotless the whole weekend. Congratulations to Toews!!!

;):lol::lol: here we go again...........

I would just like to give a big congrates to Jonathan Toews for being co-rookie of the Week. He is on one heck of a tear. Lets hope he keeps it up!

Also I would like to congratulate Jordan Parise for being nominated for Defensive Player of the week. (which he was robbed of) heck... anyone posting back to back shut-outs should be an automatic pick!

and lastly, congratulations are in order for Drew Stafford for being nominated for Offensive Player of the week. (I thought he was robbed too) 3 goals and 1 assist on the weekend with 2 of the goals being shortys!

WTG guys. Keep it rollin' in the post-season

No kidding Stafford was robbed! He not only had 2 shorties, but a game winner & an assist as well--WTF?? A+3 in Fri.'s game & a +1 ;) in Sat.'s.

If you compare what Stafford and Parise did to the guys who won in their cases, it's an awfully close call. If anything, they were more deserving than Toews to either win or share the award.

Offensive Player

Stastny 3-1-4 1 OT GWG and 1 other goal, 1 game tying goal in the next game, and 1 other assist in a win and a tie.

Stafford 3-1-4 2 SH goals, 1 GWG, and 1 assist in 2 wins.

One might argue that Stastny's goals were more important to his team pulling out the win and the tie.

Defensive Player

Elliot 1 goal on 65 shots in 2 wins.

Parise 0 goals on 46 shots in 2 wins.

One might argue that the quality of the competition for Elliot was a little higher than Parise. And Elliot faced almost 50% more shots.

Rookie

Stoa had 2 goals and 2 assists.

Toews 1 goal and 3 assists.

If you compare what Stafford and Parise did to the guys who won in their cases, it's an awfully close call. If anything, they were more deserving than Toews to either win or share the award.

Offensive Player

Stastny 3-1-4 1 OT GWG and 1 other goal, 1 game tying goal in the next game, and 1 other assist in a win and a tie.

Stafford 3-1-4 2 SH goals, 1 GWG, and 1 assist in 2 wins.

One might argue that Stastny's goals were more important to his team pulling out the win and the tie.

Defensive Player

Elliot 1 goal on 65 shots in 2 wins.

Parise 0 goals on 46 shots in 2 wins.

One might argue that the quality of the competition for Elliot was a little higher than Parise. And Elliot faced almost 50% more shots.

Rookie

Stoa had 2 goals and 2 assists.

Toews 1 goal and 3 assists.

I agree with the selections when it is put this way. Parise has been on fire (discounting the Saturday DU game) lately and I'm grateful for it.

Awards are just things on paper people who sit behind desks give out to make themselves feel more a part of the game. Any athlete will tell you that a trophy/medal/win is more important. To beat this to death consider this: What would you rather have: WCHA POTW awards for a Sioux member in all three categories every week of the season for 2 straight years or at least 1 NC?

I'll take the National CHampionship as a fan and I doubt the answer would be different than mine if you asked any member of the Sioux.

It is because it was against Tech...

While dagies' comparison flies, this one doesn't. After all, say that to Elliott about facing Tech. Heck tell that to ANY of Tech's opponents between the two UND meetings and they'll tell you a different story. Tech may be a bottom tier team, but they don't get shut out back to back that often. They are usually good for at least one goal.

While dagies' comparison flies, this one doesn't. After all, say that to Elliott about facing Tech. Heck tell that to ANY of Tech's opponents between the two UND meetings and they'll tell you a different story. Tech may be a bottom tier team, but they don't get shut out back to back that often. They are usually good for at least one goal.

Tech rarely doesn't get zero points in a conference series very often either. If I remember correctly, it had been 11 consecutive series that Tech had earned at least 1 point... that's quite a statistic, especially considering they are one of the bottom-feeders in the best conference in college hockey.

I suspect Parise lost the award since SCSU is a better team than MTU, even though St. Cloud's offense is terrible.

Tech rarely doesn't get zero points in a conference series very often either. If I remember correctly, it had been 11 consecutive series that Tech had earned at least 1 point... that's quite a statistic, especially considering they are one of the bottom-feeders in the best conference in college hockey.

I suspect Parise lost the award since SCSU is a better team than MTU, even though St. Cloud's offense is terrible.

from what i have heard, read, seen, St Cloud outplayed the Badgers for most of the weekend, which can be seen in the 60+ saves that elliot had. Although 2 shutouts is very impressive in a series, the sioux outplayed the s&!t out of tech and 95% of the shots jordan faced weren't of the "great scoring chance" variety. Believe me, i'm not taking anything away from jordan, but there is a huge difference between what either goalie did and it sounds like elliot stole two wins from st clown, whereas jordan "just" held tech off the board

I realize that Tech isn't as bad as they have been over say the last 5 to 10 years or so, but there is still a stigma attached to them. The fact that you say they are "usually good for at least one goal" just confirms that. Back to Back shutouts vs Tech just doesn't turn many heads. Not as many as it would against other teams anyway. JMO

from what i have heard, read, seen, St Cloud outplayed the Badgers for most of the weekend, which can be seen in the 60+ saves that elliot had.

I was at the Sat UW/SCSU game, and the Huskies definitely got the better of the chances. Elliott bailed them out a few times.

No kidding Stafford was robbed! He not only had 2 shorties, but a game winner & an assist as well--WTF?? A+3 in Fri.'s game & a +1 ;) in Sat.'s.

Stafford leads the nation in short handed goals with 6, that is a pretty impressive stat since the record in the NHL is like 9 in a 82 game season I believe set by Bryan Roslton. Now I am not comparing college hockey to the NHL but 6 is impressive in a 20+ goal total in 36 games.

Stafford leads the nation in short handed goals with 6, that is a pretty impressive stat since the record in the NHL is like 9 in a 82 game season I believe set by Bryan Roslton. Now I am not comparing college hockey to the NHL but 6 is impressive in a 20+ goal total in 36 games.

Yeah that is an impressive stat. He and Zajac are a dangerous combo shorthanded. I hope Zajac can pick up his game now that it is playoff time. I think he has had a decent season and he has a lot of assists but his goals are down quite a bit. If he and Spirko can pick it up in the scoring column it will make the Sioux that much better. I think the other 4 guys on the top two lines (Stafford, Duncan, Oshie and Toews) are playing about as well as can be expected. There is room for improvement for Zajac and Spirko in the scoring department. I realize they may be playing well in other parts of the game but you need to score goals to win the game and both these players have the talent level to pick it up a notch or two.