SiouxSports.com Forum

Michael Forney

radionews

Michael Forney, Sioux recruit from Thief River Falls, scored the game winning goal in the 4TH OVERTIME to beat Warroad for the Section 8A Championship Thursday night and the right to go to the state tourney next week. Warroad won state last year, this the first time TRF has been to the state in 40+ years. GO PROWLERS and GO SIOUX

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Michael Forney, Sioux recruit from Thief River Falls, scored the game winning goal in the 4TH OVERTIME to beat Warroad for the Section 8A Championship Thursday night and the right to go to the state tourney next week. Warroad won state last year, this the first time TRF has been to the state in 40+ years. GO PROWLERS and GO SIOUX

I heard this on the sports news this morning. Good for them!!!! It's great to see them moving ahead. Must be getting a little help from that Ralph Engelstad arena! :blink:

Rats. I was hoping for a Warroad return to the state tournament.

Must've been one hell of a game. Four OTs. An instant classic.

Warroad's road this year, after their loss of talent last year, is a continuing

testament to its program, and to its staff.

they didn't even go out and recruit any new talent before this season started!! they let the kids that have been there forever go out and try to win it all....that in itself is a huge testament to the program... :whistling:

(sorry bout that, didn't mean to kick the horse before it had a chance to get back up...GO GREENWAVE!!)

they didn't even go out and recruit any new talent before this season started!! they let the kids that have been there forever go out and try to win it all....that in itself is a huge testament to the program... :whistling:

(sorry bout that, didn't mean to kick the horse before it had a chance to get back up...GO GREENWAVE!!)

What do you get when you pick your nose? Green Wave! Green Wave!

Rats. I was hoping for a Warroad return to the state tournament.

Must've been one hell of a game. Four OTs. An instant classic.

Warroad's road this year, after their loss of talent last year, is a continuing

testament to its program, and to its staff.

If the program was worth its weight they would be playing AA. I know they are a small school, but they have enough kids to play AA, they are afraid to go up against the big boy's night after night.

If the program was worth its weight they would be playing AA. I know they are a small school, but they have enough kids to play AA, they are afraid to go up against the big boy's night after night.

Either that or they don't have money coming out of their ears like urban schools do. I'm sure there is a financial cost to playing the "big boy's" night after night.

they do play a lot of AA schools, and they have been very successful as of late against them. I don't think they would fair well year in and year out, but they could do it, and still be successful. They just wouldn't have the whipping boys to beat up on like some of the lower teams in 8A. That said, I think that they are fine right where they are at, nothing needs to change, it's not like they will get more scholarships by moving up a division, maybe more recruits......... :whistling:

What do you get when you pick your nose? Green Wave! Green Wave!

You might, but here in civilization, we use kleenex.. now i know that the area up in warroad isn't all backwoods and hillbilly's (it's too cold for a complete takeover), but i can see how you can bring that analogy to the table.

Fact of the matter is, Marvin Windows is a hell of a lot better sell than Crystal Sugar is for getting parents to move up to the land of the hostile and abusive (warriors) with hockey stud kids in tow for a shot at the state title..

Kind of like the South St Paul girls program? Anyone ever heard of winning your state's highest class state hockey tournament, then dropping DOWN the next year because you meet enrollment requirements and you're losing a couple of seniors? Nice!

I love this argument. I wonder if a lot of Gopher players were coming from Warroad in recent years if Gopher fans would rip them as much....

I am crossing my fingers and kind of hoping he turns into another TJ Oshie but hey not to put too much pressure on the kid.

have a lot of people seen Forney play?? i haven't, but one of the knocks i've heard on him is that he doesn't go into the corners, and just sits out high cherry picking...not my take, just what i've been told....if that is the case, it could be easily justified by him not needing to go into the corners, could be he doesn't want to, no matter the case, he'll have to once he gets here. can anyone confirm or deny??

Kwality Minnersoda edukashen rears its uglee hed again. The term "big boys" would have no apostrophe in this case, class.

While I too wonder why Roseau competes at Class AA while Warroad sticks with A, one can make the proximity-to-opponents argument pretty easily. I didn't hear Gopher fans saying that Red Wing should move to AA back in the days of Johnny Pohl.

I've seen Forney play, he does hang around the top of the circle. When he has the puck he does nice things with it, attacks the net, distributes the puck to teammates. I've said this before I'm not knocking him , but it seems as though he doesn't pursue the puck, more like kind of waits for things to happen instead of making things happen. This may be as simple as a coaching issue, who really knows.

I've seen Forney play, he does hang around the top of the circle. When he has the puck he does nice things with it, attacks the net, distributes the puck to teammates. I've said this before I'm not knocking him , but it seems as though he doesn't pursue the puck, more like kind of waits for things to happen instead of making things happen. This may be as simple as a coaching issue, who really knows.

that is EXACTLY the breakdown i got from a buddy who follows 8A extensively

While I too wonder why Roseau competes at Class AA while Warroad sticks with A, one can make the proximity-to-opponents argument pretty easily. I didn't hear Gopher fans saying that Red Wing should move to AA back in the days of Johnny Pohl.

exactly what i wanted to say, but didn't want to start a flame fest.....hard to argue with that

that is EXACTLY the breakdown i got from a buddy who follows 8A extensively

exactly what i wanted to say, but didn't want to start a flame fest.....hard to argue with that

I give Roseau credit for staying with AA. At the same time, I respect Warroad's decision to stay in A. Again, like I mentioned earlier, the loophole is rather silly. Imagine a "small school" winning the state title in AA, then deciding because of their small enrollment, that they'd drop back down to A the next season. That's kind of like the Yankees winning the World Series, then deciding that since a couple of players retired, they should be playing AAA the next season. That's not a shot at A hockey, it's just an analogy, but you get my point.

I'm sure that by the time he reaches Grand Forks he will be a solid two-way player. :whistling:

I love this argument. I wonder if a lot of Gopher players were coming from Warroad in recent years if Gopher fans would rip them as much....

Warroad had a nice team. Thief has a lot of good kids and good depth and this was a great game. Warroad does indeed play good competition. Year in and year out they play the best ND teams and they also play a number of AA teams. We can't get them to play Detroit Lakes because they want to play "better" competition. Until this year it was understandable. Crookston, EGF, Detroit Lakes, Warroad, Lake of the Woods and Thief River Falls were all good teams. Park Rapids was decent and Kittson had a couple of good kids. This year we gave Warroad a good game and frankly, we were pretty evenly matched.

I think the record shows they play good competition year in and year out.

The recruiting issue is likely overplayed but some of the Warroad players parents to try to convince kids who play with their kids in the summer to move to Warroad, live with them and play for the Warriors. I also will say that they did a nice job of hosting the Section 8 tourney.

They have a great arena and put on a first class show. Their HS band is as good as their hockey team, maybe better. Thief River Falls did the same last year in the baby Ralph. Great UND connections to both programs. Good luck to the Prowlers and congratulations to the Warriors.

I'm sure that by the time he reaches Grand Forks he will be a solid two-way player. :whistling:

Some players (we won't mention any names), are just never coached to play the game as it was intended to be played, at both ends of the rink. If you mean Forney's game will change once he gets here I would agree with that statement. I'm sure he will have defensive responsibilities.

Some players (we won't mention any names), are just never coached to play the game as it was intended to be played, at both ends of the rink. If you mean Forney's game will change once he gets here I would agree with that statement. I'm sure he will have defensive responsibilities.

you can guaran damn tee that he is going to have defensive responsibilities once he gets here, and he will make it a point to get in a corner and give someone a facewash, come out with the puck, and make a play or two or he flat out won't play on this team. there is plenty of talent on this team, but every one of them will go into the corners because they want to play