SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux/DU

siNoDux

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The refs called a great game losers... and for the sioux to blow a 5x3 power play says it all!!!!!! way to go DU nice win...........

Let's see, we say the ref called a lousy game, TH says the ref called a lousy game, DU announcers say the ref called a lousy game...whose the loser???

Let's see, we say the ref called a lousy game, TH says the ref called a lousy game, DU announcers say the ref called a lousy game...whose the loser???

There was an excellent point this weekend brought up by the FSN announcers, they mentioned Todd Anderson and how he was a referee in the minors and didn't progress to the NHL. They basically hinted that he wasn't very good, I guess this really makes the point some were trying to say. I believe that Anderson is not a good offical and his performance this weekend only basically emphasised it. The calls he made were very questionable but I am not so sure that penalties cost the Sioux as much as they play undisciplined from the start of the game, fought their way back and then the roof fell in on them.

The good news, Sioux come throught the weekend in the tourney, while Denver is still on the outside looking in (hint: if you're going to have cupcakes at Christmas, better beat them :D ).

Denver does have an advantage finishing with CC while the Sioux's RPI will be hurt playing MTU. Sioux simply cannot afford a loss or tie next weekend.

Go CC.

Wouldn't it be best for the Sioux if CC and DU both split next weekend while UND sweeps?

As far as WCHA standings, yes, although I'd like another Sioux/SCSU matchup, revenge for the previoius sweep at the REA. Also, Mankato "seems" like the tougher opponent right now, although Wisco looked like a bottom feeder team this weekend. Either provides a TUC opponent for the Sioux.

On the other hand, the Sioux won't catch CC in PWR, but Denver could be competition for the Sioux getting a spot in the NCAA's. So on that note, a CC sweep could put Denver in fourth and provide them with a first round TUC opponent, good for Denver, so maybe a split would be better for the Sioux as it relates to PWR also.

The real reason for the "go cc", however, is that I want Gwoz and Punko out of the NCAA's, by whatever means possible. Have no respect for the grabbing, tackling, interfering style that Gwoz coaches, and even less respect for a program with Punko who are now "turning their back" and diving to draw 5 minute CFB penalties. Punko himself should have had 2 CFB's this weekend on plays that did not involve the Sioux player "turning his back". Nor did the player dive to try and draw it. Somehow it just doesn't sit well with me that the team and player responsible for the CFB rule is now taking advantage of it.

Punko himself should have had 2 CFB's this weekend on plays that did not involve the Sioux player "turning his back". Nor did the player dive to try and draw it. Somehow it just doesn't sit well with me that the team and player responsible for the CFB rule is now taking advantage of it.

I couldn't agree more.

EDIT: After watching the replays of Paukovitch's hits from behind, it's clear that he's learned a lot since hitting Bina.

Lesson A: When checking a smaller player (i.e. Oshie) from behind, grab him around the neck and pull his head up so he doesn't go head-first into the boards. This maneuver has the added advantage of enabling you to drive the player's head into the ice as you're falling on top of him. This is a mere two-minute minor penalty.

Lesson B: Checking players from behind who are bigger than you (i.e. Finley) won't result in a penalty. Unfortunately for Paukovich, Finley's one of the few players in college hockey bigger than he is.

Edited by PCM

just got back home to az, a lot of fun in denver. great fri win and it was fun to see the sioux be in the game late after last nights performance then the wheels fell off. great turn out by all sioux fans!! couldnt tell you how many du fans said "do the sioux always have this many fans on the road and are they always this loud"

my response was "yeah, pretty much so with a exception to the alaska trip" he was amazed. a few jackasses after the game but thats no big deal as every team has them. drank tons of beer, geez. time to work it back off this week :D until friday of course when the sioux are back on the ice :D stayed at the loews hotel which was unbelievable, the service was outstanding and got service to and from the games very easily. we sure got some breaks last night after losing in the pairwise, but thats what you need sometimes. next trip planned is to grand forks!!

oh yeah, one of the coolest part of the trip was the peeps with the green food coloring to make my beer SIOUX GREEN...du fans got a kick out of that....

1 last observation, paukabitch is a chump...

It's 2:12 AM and your alone flaming on a message board. This would make you an expert on LOSERS... :D

after I got off work!!!!! I watched the game, thanks to TIVO!!!and Yes I am flaming after what I watched the Sioux did not play that great, way to many stupid penaltys!!!! and yes some bad calls were made but that happens in every game so that excuse is no good and to not score on a 5x3 PP just about says it all that is pathetic... I hope the play smart hockey agaist the Tech Huskies

As well as Toews has played the last couple of weeks, unfortunately his foolish tripping penalty was the wrench that caused the wheels to come off on what could have been a 4 point weekend. I hope he continues to put the puck in the net this weekend against Tech.

Doesn't matter. None of this matters. It's still February. Everyone is laughing at Sconny right now because they are in a slump. Everyone is afraid of MN right now, but they're D and Goalies are overrated......man, out here its like taking advice from CNBC Power Lunch when trying to make good stock picks: Not Smart........It might actually be to Sconny and MNs advantage right now to lose first round WCHA playoffs: they are in the Big Dance, and they could (anyone could) use a week off to rest up......too bad we do not have the luxury of this option........who cares about McNaughton and the WCHA FF? Not me, unless you need the games to get into the Big Dance........no team should want to be #1 right now; especially not MN, who gets a big head whenever they top out.........

Things went bad in the third period last night. There were numerous factors, and numerous results. Would the game have been different if Finley hadn't been kicked out? We will never know. If we really want home ice for the playoffs then we're gonna have to play a solid 120 minutes of hockey. I don't think that we should be looking past Michigan Tech... We really need a sweep, and that might not be as easy as some people think. We really need the Badgers to step it up, but after this weekend, I'm not too sure that is gonna happen any time soon! Even if we sweep MTU what happens if WI doesn't beat SCSU? Let's just focus on our own team, our own game, and stay outta the box!!!

I apologize if this has been addressed already in this thread, but TH observed last night with about 4 min left that Smaby had missed a few shifts and was wondering why. I had to tune out (to deal with urgent kid issues). Did Smaby miss ice time for any reason?

I apologize if this has been addressed already in this thread, but TH observed last night with about 4 min left that Smaby had missed a few shifts and was wondering why. I had to tune out (to deal with urgent kid issues). Did Smaby miss ice time for any reason?

Not that I know of. I watched the game on 23 and if anything had happened to him, i.e. an injury, I missed it.

Not that I know of. I watched the game on 23 and if anything had happened to him, i.e. an injury, I missed it.

maybe hak kept him off the ice so we can have him in uniform riday night vs tech instead of taking someones head off and getting suspended..oh wait smaby does not do that, only paukabitch does...

never heard of a Goalie pulling himself out of a game that is not good......

I have. Lawson did it earlier this year against UND, IIRC.

Sometimes goaltenders pull themselves because they don't feel like they've got an edge, like I hope JPar did. Sometimes goaltenders pull themselves because they were hiding an injury and thought they could play only to aggravate it in the game somehow and have to leave. This I hope is NOT the case.

This was Jordy's first bad game in a VERY long time.

I have. Lawson did it earlier this year against UND, IIRC.

Sometimes goaltenders pull themselves because they don't feel like they've got an edge, like I hope JPar did. Sometimes goaltenders pull themselves because they were hiding an injury and thought they could play only to aggravate it in the game somehow and have to leave. This I hope is NOT the case.

This was Jordy's first bad game in a VERY long time.

yeah, i guess i'll give jpar a hall pass on this one :D

never heard of a Goalie pulling himself out of a game that is not good......

I actually thought it was a good thing. I was at the games this weekend, and Jordan was obviously not happy with himself for letting in 4 3rd period goals and did what he thought was best for the team. That's what it looked like to me anyway.

Side note. I couldn't believe how many empty seats there were at this "sold out" series. Disappointing, since I thought it would a pretty big series. And as much as I hate the Gophers, I can say that I at least respect their knowledgeable fan base unlike some of the fans that went out of their way to say idiotic things to me in Denver. One guy made the mistake of starting a conversation with me Saturday night with "You must be pretty embarassed to be wearing a Sioux jersey right now." I went on to tell him exactly why I was not embarassed to be wearing it, along with a few other select words, and he eventually moved down a couple seats to get away from me. I had had a few drinks. :D I travel to games to see good hockey and have fun, not to listen to morons who don't know how to handle a win or a loss.

There was an excellent point this weekend brought up by the FSN announcers, they mentioned Todd Anderson and how he was a referee in the minors and didn't progress to the NHL. They basically hinted that he wasn't very good, I guess this really makes the point some were trying to say. I believe that Anderson is not a good offical and his performance this weekend only basically emphasised it. The calls he made were very questionable but I am not so sure that penalties cost the Sioux as much as they play undisciplined from the start of the game, fought their way back and then the roof fell in on them.

I caught that also. I guess it was kind of an eye opener for me. The guys officiating for the WCHA are the ones who can't make it anywhere else. It's no wonder they are terrible.

I caught that also. I guess it was kind of an eye opener for me. The guys officiating for the WCHA are the ones who can't make it anywhere else. It's no wonder they are terrible.

Anderson is yet another of those who were hired primarily due to his resume and not to his performance record. "Oh, you officiated some AHL/ECHL/minor pro games? Great! You're hired!" :silly:

Anderson is yet another of those who were hired primarily due to his resume and not to his performance record. "Oh, you officiated some AHL/ECHL/minor pro games? Great! You're hired!" :silly:

It is a wonder to me why Anderson thinks that no matter what, in order for him to do his job he must make sure there is split. He is pa-thet-ic! I rarely blame officiating but that was horrible. He took two points from the Sioux. Plain and simple.

I don't think you can blame this on the ref,sure he sucked but we had plenty of chances with the 5 on 3 and others when it was tied at 3. It's all in the growing and lessons this team has gone through,Coach Hakstol said on the radio this morning that Smaby was battling the flu since thursday along with the alttitude it makes sense why he missed some shifts.The penalty on Lee which led to Denvers 4th goal was very weak,even the fsn annoucers thoght it was a horrible call and to there credit when Stasny was call to make it 5 on 3 there said it was legit.When will the best league in the country get better refs.If we all know Curious George is getting his players to turn into CFB why don't the officials?Lets sweep Tech and move on to the playoffs :silly: