SiouxSports.com Forum

DU and UND

Goon

I was wondering what everyone thought about this weekend's games, I wonder with so much on the line if they will get out of hand and someone will finally challenge Mr. Punkovich? It could get interesting if either game gets one side in either direction. I just hope if they are going to do it the Fighting Sioux players use their head and don't end up being the one that ends up getting suspended for two games ala, Finely and Radke.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was wondering what everyone thought about this weekend's games, I wonder with so much on the line if they will get out of hand and someone will finally challenge Mr. Punkovich? It could get interesting if either game gets one side in either direction. I just hope if they are going to do it the Fighting Sioux players use their head and don't end up being the one that ends up getting suspended for two games ala, Finely and Radke.

discussion here..i guess you know that since you have posted in it :huh:

http://siouxsports.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5669

discussion here..i guess you know that since you have posted in it :huh:

http://siouxsports.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5669

The reason I posted this article is that it was such a heated thing its worthy of another topic head line.

I will be posting something on it later in the week to on my blog. Actually I like many other hold Punkovich in the lowest regards I wouldn't have even cheered for him had he scored a goal during the WJC.

If the last 10 minutes of the Gophers game Saturday night is any indication, it is going to get VERY chippy if UND is beating them.

This is Denver you are talking about...when does winning or losing matter? They were beating UND when the "Check heard round the Hockey World" took place. :huh: Punkobitch and his girlfriends are in for a dog fight this weekend.

considering the DU coaches comments about how he was happy about the draw of 2 majors from the Gophs (neither which looked to be deserving) I'd lay dollars to donuts he is teaching his boys to "take" hits to even up team odds....good luck to you...DU was playing pretty cheap at the end Saturday night

W

It is time to put the Paukovitch idiocy to rest for the Sioux team. They have too much at stake to even have this in their heads. The Sioux cannot afford to lose their discipline, take stupid penalties, or worse wind up losing a player or two for the next game. That is true whether during the Friday or Saturday game. This team cannot afford to lose anyone for the MTU series. MTU has shown a tendency to rear up and bite teams. We know that DU gets cheap when they are losing, and hopefully Hak will have the boys prepared for this situation.

It is time to put the Paukovitch idiocy to rest for the Sioux team. They have too much at stake to even have this in their heads. The Sioux cannot afford to lose their discipline, take stupid penalties, or worse wind up losing a player or two for the next game. That is true whether during the Friday or Saturday game. This team cannot afford to lose anyone for the MTU series. MTU has shown a tendency to rear up and bite teams. We know that DU gets cheap when they are losing, and hopefully Hak will have the boys prepared for this situation.

great point but i say win friday, get a lead staurday and then kick his azz late staurday and let him have it!!

I hate the '$itch, :D, but totally agree with you. The guys have to play smart. Let DU take their cheap shots and hopefully end up sitting on the crapper while we score on the PPs.

Discipline is going to be the #1 concern next weekend. More than the problems with offensive inconsistency. Why? Because of all the emotion. We have players who get REALLY emotional on the ice (Zach Jones being the leader in that category). We HAVE HAVE HAVE to play with discipline because, with emotions running high, we'll play on the PK all night long if we all emotion to run the game plan.

considering the DU coaches comments about how he was happy about the draw of 2 majors from the Gophs (neither which looked to be deserving) I'd lay dollars to donuts he is teaching his boys to "take" hits to even up team odds....good luck to you...DU was playing pretty cheap at the end Saturday night

W

Wpos, I don't remember if it was you giving the UND players crap for checking from behind, but I saw that first one against the Gophers and UND has been called for many of those "turn the back" calls. Sorry I have to bring the guy up, but in watching Kessel live he turns his back a lot when taking a check. In fact I'm seeing this from many players and I think the NCAA has created a more dangerous precedent with these calls, because the players are putting themselves in a dangerous position to get the call.

Also, I didn't even hear of that 2 minute checking from behind call due to a player being away from the boards until like 2 weeks ago. I believe in Duluth a UND player got kicked out when the opposing player was no where near the boards.

If the last 10 minutes of the Gophers game Saturday night is any indication, it is going to get VERY chippy if UND is beating them.

If that happens I hope our skilled players aren't on the ice getting run at the end of the game. I'd rather have big Mike out there in stead of Oshie and Toews getting run. I would actually bet that nothing happens this weekend, unless the play gets really chippy and the players start yapping at each other. UND can't really afford to have a bunch of guys sitting out games with suspensions.

Wpos, I don't remember if it was you giving the UND players crap for checking from behind, but I saw that first one against the Gophers and UND has been called for many of those "turn the back" calls. Sorry I have to bring the guy up, but in watching Kessel live he turns his back a lot when taking a check. In fact I'm seeing this from many players and I think the NCAA has created a more dangerous precedent with these calls, because the players are putting themselves in a dangerous position to get the call.

Also, I didn't even hear of that 2 minute checking from behind call due to a player being away from the boards until like 2 weeks ago. I believe in Duluth a UND player got kicked out when the opposing player was no where near the boards.

I don't like checking from behind from anybody, Goli's penalty was complete bunk, that said, what bothers me is a coaches response like DU's. Teaching these kids to "take" a penalty like that and then crowing about it is just plain dangerous. These refs need to learn what REALLY constitues checking from behind. They seem to have some version that doesn't fit the penatly sometimes....

W

Wpos, I don't remember if it was you giving the UND players crap for checking from behind, but I saw that first one against the Gophers and UND has been called for many of those "turn the back" calls.

It was WPOs chastising the Sioux for checking from behind penalties (two rather weak calls against in the last gopher series, from a Sioux fan perspective), while the Gophers made similar hits that were not called. Total bunk depends on whose team you support.

Players are definitely attempting to draw these calls by turning their back and stoppiing a bit farther from the boards. If the checker manages to hold up, a 5 minute PP is likely without any significant harm to the checked player. If the checker goes in hard, the player trying to draw the penalty has put himself in a position for a Bina like injury. Not a good situation. (Edit: not implying that Bina put himself in a bad position for the Punkovich hit, that was an entirely different situation and a major after the whistle cheap shot). All teams are now suffering for the Punkovich cheap shot, and the Don Adam incompetence.

PJ Atherton is my "favorite" Gofer after knocking down Punk-boy against DU last weekend...No way it was checking from behind though....I also like Atherton because he was the one pinching in a little during the Saturday night game against UND and got beat badly as Zajac zoomed by for the GWG... :D

If the checker goes in hard, the player trying to draw the penalty has put himself in a position for a Bina like injury. Not a good situation. (Edit: not implying that Bina put himself in a bad position for the Punkovich hit, that was an entirely different situation and a major after the whistle cheap shot). All teams are now suffering for the Punkovich cheap shot, and the Don Adam incompetence.

The Punkovich hit on Bina last season was one of the cheapest, dirtiest hits I have ever seen period, I was right across from it and it was bad. I am not sure to this day how he only got a two minute penatly. I saw the Atherton check and it wasn't any where as bad as the Punkovich hit.

All we need to do is shut down the Gauthier line. I think the Gophers did a good job limiting their chances. Gauthier did score in the 5-1 loss but the game was already over. If I recall, it appeared that DU skated only three lines against Mn and basically ran out of gas. Carle was forced to press and ended up on his heals frequently. Last weekend defintitely did not help his Hobey chances although I still believe he's the best defensemen in the country.

If we can establish a physical presence while staying out of the box, we should be in good shape. We need the first goal. If last weekend's performance is any indication, the team's passing and position has really improved. Our defense still makes me nervous (except for our goaltending). If Lee makes another mistake like he did against Duluth, DU or any quality team will make us pay.

GO SIOUX!

I couldn't agree more. If something were going to happen with Paukovich, it should've happened earlier in the season when the two teams met. Where the hit will never be forgotten by Sioux fans, especially when Paukovich is still playing for DU, the Sioux need to think about what's best for the team. Heck, if revenge on Paukovich would get this team revved up for the playoffs, than do it. But, IMO the Sioux need to focus on the game, and keep all their guys in the game.

All we need to do is shut down the Gauthier line. I think the Gophers did a good job limiting their chances. Gauthier did score in the 5-1 loss but the game was already over. If I recall, it appeared that DU skated only three lines against Mn and basically ran out of gas. Carle was forced to press and ended up on his heals frequently. Last weekend defintitely did not help his Hobey chances although I still believe he's the best defensemen in the country.

You're 100% correct.

The top DU line accounted for one 5X5 goal this weekend. It was late in the second and MN scored 9 seconds later to basically drop the hammer on DU. Guyer's line (Guyer, Chucko, Howe) kept them in check for most of the weekend. DU does only skate three lines (DU's fourth line could count their shifts per night on one hand) and only forechecks hard with the Statsny line. The other lines dump and regroup with one token forechecker. Spread the ice against DU and one good pass should get you out of the zone.

The games will be on Fox College Sports.

Its like 316 or 317 on the extended digital package on Midco net.

The second game is on at 2100 hours and is about one hour late due to

Basket ball of all things. Both games of the MSU-M and Denver series were

on this channel too.

I couldn't agree more. If something were going to happen with Paukovich, it should've happened earlier in the season when the two teams met. Where the hit will never be forgotten by Sioux fans, especially when Paukovich is still playing for DU, the Sioux need to think about what's best for the team. Heck, if revenge on Paukovich would get this team revved up for the playoffs, than do it. But, IMO the Sioux need to focus on the game, and keep all their guys in the game.

I posted a article on Punkovich on my blog. http://ndgoon.blogspot.com/

As you know I hold this clown with the highest regard, I would probably compare him to a piece of excrement. I hope some day Punkovich has to pay for his crime against Robbie I really do. But I don't want to see a top player suspended or hurt because Denver when head hunting after we righted a wrong. Ala Bertuzzi. Denver in my opinion is a pretty dirty team and UND will have to keep their heads up anyways as the Gophers found out last weekend. That being said I don't think UND will be intimidated by the Pios.

At last, I don't care if Pioneer fans think we are wrong to some how fault Punkovich, or still hold a grudge against him. I guaraentee that if we had done the same ot one of their players they would be spouting off the same stuff. They need to realize it was a dirty cheap act.