SiouxSports.com Forum

It must be UND vs. SCSU week

PCM

Because SCSU is playing at UND this weekend, the University Chronicle student newspaper is back on the issue of the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo. They're running a poll on the newspaper's Web site which asks, "What do you think of the UND Fighting Sioux name and logo?"

The three choices are A) It's fine, keep it B) It's wrong and offensive, lose it and C) I don't care. The last time I checked, 75 percent want UND to keep its name and logo, 17 percent don't care and 8 percent want it changed. The lesson here is not to judge a university by its president.

Coral Shirin Jentz sent a letter to the editor to the paper headlined "Chronicle needs to ban use of UND logo." She offers the following insight:

I am writing this letter to respectfully request that the Chronicle completely discontinue the use of Native American logos in their newspaper and to respectfully request that the university not allow UND sports affiliated players and coaches to wear their logos jerseys on the SCSU campus. They can wear their no logo color jerseys instead.
Apparently Ms. Jentz doesn't recognize the irony of demanding that a newspaper engage in censorship. And what color is a "no logo color"? Where did she get the idea that UND has "no logo color" jerseys? GrahamKracker? She goes on to say:

As I once again heard at the Native American panel tonight (Dec. 13, 2005), Native American logos seriously offend some of the Native American students and organization at SCSU as well as the NCAA. That's why SCSU formed a policy against them. Their usage also has the potential to sicken all of us at SCSU.

In that case, I predict that the Fighting Sioux will sweep the Huskies this weekend because they'll certainly be too nauseated to play in the Ralph. :D

In response to Ms. Jentz's letter, the University Chronicle's editorial board ran an editorial explaining the newspaper's policy on the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo.

The editorial board reached a decision early in fall semester to limit the use of the UND's athletic name. When the team must be mentioned by name in an article or photograph caption, it is referred to simply as UND. If the name is given in the course of an interview, writers are not to strike it from quoted material.
Newspapers are valuable to society because they objectively report the facts, and this staff is not in the habit of placing disclaimers on facts. The fact is the University of North Dakota's athletic team name is Fighting Sioux. The fact is they have a logo with a drawing of a Native American. Until those facts change, we reserve the right to print the news without a sugar coating.

The newspaper almost gets it right. The job of journalists is to report the facts as they are, not as reporters and editors wish them to be. When the reporters and editors deliberately choose not to use the Fighting Sioux nickname, they are, in fact, sugar coating the news.

If that's not enough irony for you, there's this letter to the editor by Matt Hayward headlined: "Drunk whites are insulting."

I'm not a big drinker or partier, but one thing I will never do is party with white people.

You will never see me at a party with white people. It just won't happen. Not only do I usually feel uncomfortable around white people who drink, but the entire situation becomes increasingly irritating.

In the past I have ventured out to party with white people, and every single time- not one-but multiple drunk white people have come up to me and asked ignorant questions. 'Why do black people do this' or 'why do black people act, or wear this or that'. I usually shake my head and and say 'Dude! I have no idea dude!' But questions and comments like that are extremely offensive.

No one who attends a party wants to be reminded they are different from most or all the other people in the room. And this isn't done to only black people, its done to all minorities.

It's just a matter of time before SCSU president Roy Saigo asks the St. Cloud city council to revive prohibition. Obviously, alcohol is making white people do things that black people find offensive.

Here are today's SCSU University Chronicle poll results on whether UND should keep or change the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo:

65% - It's fine, keep it

29% - It's wrong and offensive, lose it

6% - I don't care

It looks like the Saigopaths (credit The Sicatoka) have mobilized a get-out-the-vote effort. They've managed to overtake the "I don't cares," but are still far behind the "keep its."

Have you noticed that people who have a problem with nicknames and logos of sports teams are not sports fans? I deduced that from the stupid 'should wear their solid black/color jerseys' in this and a couple of other posts/editorials. Maybe if they were fans, they would understand the pride and alliance fans have to their schools/cities athletic nicknames and logos.

Have you noticed that people who have a problem with nicknames and logos of sports teams are not sports fans? I deduced that from the stupid 'should wear their solid black/color jerseys' in this and a couple of other posts/editorials. Maybe if they were fans, they would understand the pride and alliance fans have to their schools/cities athletic nicknames and logos.

I have noticed that, maybe they just have a problem with sports in general and need something to complain about it.

I have noticed that maybe they just have a problem and need something to complain about.
fixed your post.

Their usage also has the potential to sicken all of us at SCSU. Any negative image about a group of people can psychologically damage both the target and the person using the image because it creates the illness of distrust in all of us.
Here's your example. Apparently any reference to American Indians or their artifacts, or any depiction of same is negative. Well, that's a nice shot at the American Indians you're trying to "help".

Anyone else notice that since I earlier posted the results of the SCS University Chronicle poll, the number of votes against the Sioux name have increased dramatically? They're still losing big, but they have made impressive gains.

What's really funny about that poll is you can continue to vote in it. No sense in having a poll be "one and done" voting. ??? That way people that I won't mention are able to vote their "lose it" selection all day long. I'm sure word went out to all the "people" that have computer access that this poll was running. They weren't able to contact the people without phones, though, as they don't have phones. :lol:

What's really funny about that poll is you can continue to vote in it. No sense in having a poll be "one and done" voting. ??? That way people that I won't mention are able to vote their "lose it" selection all day long. I'm sure word went out to all the "people" that have computer access that this poll was running. They weren't able to contact the people without phones, though, as they don't have phones. :lol:

So, you can continue to keep stuffing the ballet box?? Well then, is the Crybabies at Jan Brady State are stuffing it in favor of the name change, how about you guys counterstuff those people then?? Vote once for keeping the name, then vote for I don't care. You get enough people to do this, it will screw the numbers up.

lol, I love how you ASSume so much about people. "Maybe if they were fans"..... well maybe if you were SIOUX you'd understand why there isn't one SIOUX tribe backing UND. As for myself, I love sports, I play it, watch it, live for it, but that doesn't mean I'm going to spend thousands of dollars buying jerseys. I don't need a jersey that says SIOUX because I am Sioux. You should be proud of who you are and not try so much to impersonate someone else or another culture.

Herein lies one of the problems with the name change crowd. They (he) think(s) we want to be Sioux Indians. We are fans of the UND Fighting Sioux athletes. And dam# proud of them we are. Did you see that 71% graduation rate?!! GO FIGHTING SIOUX!!!

Spending thousands of dollars on jerseys is one of the benefits of leaving the farm, the hood, the rez, etc and working your butt off to get to a position in life where spending a few thousand dollars to support the Fighting Sioux athletic department is a choice a person can make if they want to. Some people will spend thousands of dollars on other athletic gear, such as for football teams such as the Vikes, Bears, Packer, Raiders, etc.