SiouxSports.com Forum

Student Behavior @ The Ralph

WiSioux

And without the University, there wouldn't be a city of Grand Forks.

With no GF, there'd be no University. Because after all it was a citizen that lived in Grand Forks that submitted a bill that called for a university in Grand Forks. Its the citizens of GF that make UND what it is.

Its not the citizens of GF fault that the UND officials want the students to "clean up their act."

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So when is your meeting? ;)

Totally OT, if you are not in ND and a person compliments you for wearing Sioux clothing, don't try to sell it. That just comes across as being a jerk.

I'll have you know that I gave away a perfectly good, green, UND logo-ed Santa hat to a fine woman in Southgate one night because she said that her son would love it. The hat cost $20! Of course, I was drunk and she was cute! ;)

With no GF, there'd be no University. Because after all it was a citizen that lived in Grand Forks that submitted a bill that called for a university in Grand Forks. Its the citizens of GF that make UND what it is.

Its not the citizens of GF fault that the UND officials want the students to "clean up their act."

I was under the understanding that UND is in Grand Forks because Bismarck was given the choice and said that it would rather have the State Pen- at least the residents would be locked up.......

I think some of this may well stem from the Denver series. I am aware of a couple instances. In the first, a season ticket holder asked some students to please sit down because they were blocking his view of the opposite corner. He was promptly told to go f*** himself. This did not sit well.

In the second instance, students in the lower bowl were not just standing, but standing on their seats, thus obstructing the view of the suiteholders behind them even more than usual. They were also asked to sit down, and again the reply was similar - Go F*** Yourself! This really, really did not sit well.

In the case of both instances, nothing particularly exciting was happening on the ice at the time. So the students were pretty much just standing to be belligerent.

Now I don't care if student behavior may or may not have been worse before, but the students are not going win a battle against the season ticket holders by telling them to exercise practices of self-fornication.

Like it or not, Sioux athletics are big business, and the bill is footed by the season ticket holders. All of whom are required to donate to the Fighting Sioux Club for the right to purchase tickets. Also, most of the Suiteholders are long-time Sioux Supporters who donate large bucks to the University, notwithstanding the hefty annual fee they pay for their suite. You can complain all you want about the "corpies", but they foot the bills. Practicality suggests then, that it is not in the best interests of UND or REA to dismiss their complaints in favor of the students' right to stand just for the sake of standing.

I would bet that almost all of the other behavior that has been mentioned (drinking, swearing, etc) would be more or less overlooked if the people on the sides of, and directly behind the students were allowed to watch the game without being subjected to an obstructed view for extended periods of time. It is not rocket science.

I think some of this may well stem from the Denver series. I am aware of a couple instances. In the first, a season ticket holder asked some students to please sit down because they were blocking his view of the opposite corner. He was promptly told to go f*** himself. This did not sit well.

In the second instance, students in the lower bowl were not just standing, but standing on their seats, thus obstructing the view of the suiteholders behind them even more than usual. They were also asked to sit down, and again the reply was similar - Go F*** Yourself! This really, really did not sit well.

Well that might make someone unhappy if you tell them to go F*** themselves if they asked you nice to sit down which isn't a outlandish request. That is unexceptable.

I do like the fact that the Band is in the lower bowl this year and maybe the REA and Administratio could come up with something to get everyone more envolved in a respectful manner. I would like to see more of the signs and having the band rev up the fans like they do in Mad-town. I don't know I am sick and tired of the students being picked on for the last 4 years but there has to be a give and take too.

In the case of both instances, nothing particularly exciting was happening on the ice at the time. So the students were pretty much just standing to be belligerent.

Now I don't care if student behavior may or may not have been worse before, but the students are not going win a battle against the season ticket holders by telling them to exercise practices of self-fornication.

Like it or not, Sioux athletics are big business, and the bill is footed by the season ticket holders. All of whom are required to donate to the Fighting Sioux Club for the right to purchase tickets. Also, most of the Suiteholders are long-time Sioux Supporters who donate large bucks to the University, notwithstanding the hefty annual fee they pay for their suite. You can complain all you want about the "corpies", but they foot the bills. Practicality suggests then, that it is not in the best interests of UND or REA to dismiss their complaints in favor of the students' right to stand just for the sake of standing.

I would bet that almost all of the other behavior that has been mentioned (drinking, swearing, etc) would be more or less overlooked if the people on the sides of, and directly behind the students were allowed to watch the game without being subjected to an obstructed view for extended periods of time. It is not rocket science.

It shouldn't be a big surprise as to what the atmosphere is at a UND hockey game. IMO, if you don't like it then don't go. You knew what you were getting into when you bought the tickets. Nobody held a gun to anybody's head to purchase those tickets and/or suites. If standing and cussing bothers you then I am sure there is plenty of good entertainment on Daystar, and they would be glad to take your money as well.

3. How to properly show respect to the opponent, officials, etc.

- So pretty much no taunting of the officials, opposing teams, etc.? This is just stupid. Talking to the players and officials, they don't care. They love it. They laugh.

Wouldn't this fall under the category of "Home Ice Advantage?"

I don't attend a lot of home games, but the ones I do attend I feel that the student section is the heartbeat of the crowd. They get the crowd into the game. That's what provides the advantage....maybe that is why the Sioux are struggling at home this year??

Just my 2 cents.

So I expect that in the next few days we will see a letter in the Herald announcing that all non-student season ticket holders are to report the the lower bowl of the Ralph in the non-student season ticket holder section. This meeting will be to let non-student season ticket holders know how to properly act at games. i.e. quite talking about your d@mn investment portfolio and get involved with the game.

As a season ticket holder and a former student who attended the games at the old Ralph, I agree with those who say it's not worse than it was in the past.

It is however about MONEY. I have good seats behind the net so I'm not near the student section so I have no idea what type of vulgarity the letter is suggesting nor do I think that standing has been a problem this year.

I wish the students were more involved. A lot of us old farts do just sit there waiting for something to happen though I despise that stupid noise meter thing they put up on the big screen to get us to "make noise" as compared to having the team cause us to do so.

Bring these messages to the meeting to show to Dr Buning that many of us have no problem with student behavior.

(Though I suppose those in charge may tell you they don't give a crap what some idiot named Shep has to say about the subject.)

I had seats far from the student section but at one game a group of drunken, I assume Sioux students by their age, walked around the an upper concourse chanting "F---- the Gophers" between periods. Now, Sioux fan or not how do you explain that behavior to small children. How many people think that shows good "spirit" should be allowed? In my opinion it is a disgrace to the team and the university.

I definitely don't condone this behavior, but it's something you'll see in virtually every college hockey arena in the nation.

I was at a cowboys game last month. Some guy yelled out F- the Giants. Don't you suppose Jerry Jones held a news conference the next day and had a meeting with all the season ticket holders and said this was unacceptable behavior.......

Get real folks.

I have been a season ticket holder for the last 2 years in the student section. THAT out of the way, our student section sucks. If anyone can say we make a difference in a game it is nonsense. Our student section has been boiled down to a few chants and the band making a few of us to stand up. Otherwise the student section is nothing. It is all because of the atitude at the ralph. Students are the outcast, which should not be. WE as students are the university. Why we do not get the right I will never know. Alumni have their place, but come on, they were in the same place as current students, drunk and stupid at games, only they didnt have this great place to show this terrible behavior at.

Don't bring your kids, because of the behavior and stop complaining, kids have no reason to be at a college game....I am from New York, and we dont have much college, so kids do not go to those games, its too bad ND does not have a Pro team, they may not care so much about college kids going nuts about their team. Afterall it is our team...

It shouldn't be a big surprise as to what the atmosphere is at a UND hockey game. IMO, if you don't like it then don't go. You knew what you were getting into when you bought the tickets. Nobody held a gun to anybody's head to purchase those tickets and/or suites. If standing and cussing bothers you then I am sure there is plenty of good entertainment on Daystar, and they would be glad to take your money as well.

No.

I am a Sioux hockey fan, and I pay quite a bit of my simple paycheck for season tickets to see my team play hockey. I DO NOT pay money to hear F the ____ screamed. Of course I believe the students are the heart and soul of the atmosphere. Why does that make it okay for the students to be disrespectful? I have yet to hear a good explanation for this. Do I think that students should sit the entire game? No. Do I think the students shouldn't tease the opponents and the stripes? No. Do I think there should be some level of decency? Absolutely.

I am not a "discussing my portfolio" fan, either. I listen to all of the away games on the radio and scheduled my recent work trip to AK around the UAA series.

I am disappointed that the other season ticket holders (myself included) haven't been invited to a "how to behave" meeting. Maybe that is coming. I hope so, it's only fair.

I am probably going to get flamed for this, but how about the students here take the high road. Go into this mandatory meeting with a positive attitude, that together with the administration you can be a catalyst for some changes at the REA. People talk about the Ralph being a morgue. Maybe with some cooperation this meeting can become a chance for the students and other season ticket holders to make the place a-rockin (without any songs by Disturbed).

What happened to the fun signs from last season? Those were great! Show what your education at the finest institution in ND has gotten you...be creative!

The "it's the students against the man" argument is getting old, IMO.

Sorry for the long post. It just seems like this same discussion happens over and over again, with no real changes. It's obvious the day of "hey students, stand as much as you want, cuss, it's cool with us, we'll just find new season ticket holders" plan isn't coming from REA. Why not change strategies?

I am going back to my consolation beers now. Fri**n gophers.

No.

I am a Sioux hockey fan, and I pay quite a bit of my simple paycheck for season tickets to see my team play hockey. I DO NOT pay money to hear F the ____ screamed. Of course I believe the students are the heart and soul of the atmosphere. Why does that make it okay for the students to be disrespectful? I have yet to hear a good explanation for this. Do I think that students should sit the entire game? No. Do I think the students shouldn't tease the opponents and the stripes? No. Do I think there should be some level of decency? Absolutely.

I am not a "discussing my portfolio" fan, either. I listen to all of the away games on the radio and scheduled my recent work trip to AK around the UAA series.

I am disappointed that the other season ticket holders (myself included) haven't been invited to a "how to behave" meeting. Maybe that is coming. I hope so, it's only fair.

I am probably going to get flamed for this, but how about the students here take the high road. Go into this mandatory meeting with a positive attitude, that together with the administration you can be a catalyst for some changes at the REA. People talk about the Ralph being a morgue. Maybe with some cooperation this meeting can become a chance for the students and other season ticket holders to make the place a-rockin (without any songs by Disturbed).

What happened to the fun signs from last season? Those were great! Show what your education at the finest institution in ND has gotten you...be creative!

Sorry for the long post. It just seems like this same discussion happens over and over again, with no real changes. It's obvious the day of "hey students, stand as much as you want, cuss, it's cool with us, we'll just find new season ticket holders" plan isn't coming from REA. Why not change strategies?

I am going back to my consolation beer now. Fri**n gophers.

I have never understood why people would spend money on something that obviously offends them or makes them upset.

For example: I like to have an occasional adult beverage but I HATE cigarette smoke. My solution to this problem is not to go into every bar in town and then proceed to ask every one in there to put their cigarettes out. I just CHOOSE not to go and spend my money in those places and choose places that are non smoking. Seems pretty simple to me.

No.

I am going back to my consolation beers now. Fri**n gophers.

I see your point.

However, really, what has the AD done to us that makes them worthy of trust and a positive outlook? They've taken things away from us since before the REA was built! They are always taking taking taking either in chunks or in little pieces here and there.

In order to take, there must be a give, no? Well, where's the give?

If you are at work and the boss is always taking stuff away from you such as your time with your family, a once-promised bonus, or some sort of reward and instead giving you more and more work to do instead, aren't you eventually going to say "Wait a minute, pal?" sooner or later? Sure, you have freedom to quit in this example and find another job, but the students don't have such a luxury. We love our team and there's nowhere else to go. So it is either cower and beg or stand up and fight. What course should they take?

The most likely scenario is that the students are about to lose again. Who knows what they'll lose this time. It could be a whole section, it could be part of one in the lower bowl. Roger Thomas said giving the students some leniancy would be akin to rewarding them. Well, I certainly hope that's not the attitude by Buning.

Oh, and one last thing: Before the old "you can work with them" bit comes into play, think of this: Students have been trying to work with the AD for years now to no avail. None, or very little of our suggestions have actually been implemented and there is a strong feeling that even if feasible, we're being ignored. If you are going to be ignored, why work in a unilateral partnership?

One of the problems is that every one of these meetings has seemed rather one sided. It has always been about what the students can't do, never about what the students can do. It's never been about what REA can do to help the students, it's about what the students can do to help REA. And when it has been about what REA can do for students, REA hasn't followed through. I do hope this meeting will be different though and it can be. as many things can be done to make everyone happy, but both sides have to work together. This has never happened though for the reasons mentioned above and many others. To hopefully finally end this, students need to stop feeling persecuted when it comes to these meetings and the hockey games, even if they are, and put a positive spin on it. REA/UND needs to find a way to make students feel like they aren't being ignored and perseuted. As long as students feel this way, things will not be solved.

I have never understood why people would spend money on something that obviously offends them or makes them upset.

For example: I like to have an occasional adult beverage but I HATE cigarette smoke. My solution to this problem is not to go into every bar in town and then proceed to ask every one in there to put their cigarettes out. I just CHOOSE not to go and spend my money in those places and choose places that are non smoking. Seems pretty simple to me.

Careful. I didn't say that I was offended.

Here's my question with your example. Someone wants to watch a UND hockey game live. Where do they go for that? I don't understand why people take the view of "just stay home." Why should I, a fan who has supported my team since I was a freshman, and is willing to spend a lot of money to see them, be told to stay home?

Because I think our students are smart enough to come up with better chants than F the _____ ?

I myself have never been offended by the swearing, but I don't think it's okay for people to take such all or nothing views.

People say they have a right to stand and swear. Other people say they have a right to enjoy a UND hockey game live. Whose rights are more important? I think they both are important, and BOTH groups should give a little and get a little. That is all I am trying to say.

If it's any consolation, one of the big highlights during breaks in play at the UAA game was some guy in shorts running along the boards riding a stick horse. At least our fans don't do that! :D

Careful. I didn't say that I was offended.

Here's my question with your example. Someone wants to watch a UND hockey game live. Where do they go for that? I don't understand why people take the view of "just stay home." Why should I, a fan who has supported my team since I was a freshman, and is willing to spend a lot of money to see them, be told to stay home?

Because I think our students are smart enough to come up with better chants than F the _____ ?

I myself have never been offended by the swearing, but I don't think it's okay for people to take such all or nothing views.

People say they have a right to stand and swear. Other people say they have a right to enjoy a UND hockey game live. Whose rights are more important? I think they both are important, and both groups should give a little and get a little. That is all I am trying to say.

If it's any consolation, one of the big highlights during breaks in play at the UAA game was some guy in shorts running along the boards riding a stick horse. At least our fans don't do that! :D

I am just saying that season ticket holders knew what they were getting into when they bought their tickets. They knew they weren't buying tickets to the opera at the performance hall. Unacceptable behavior there would be cursing, being loud, ect..... You bought tickets to a college sporting event. Plain and simple.

IMO, it's not being intelligent or clever to stand up and cheer when the million dollar score board says it's an appropriate time.

No offense but that's a pretty lame statement. The majority of season ticket holders LOVE HOCKEY and many sacrifice in one or more areas to pay for their season tickets to be assured seats at the game they love to watch in person. Not wanting to listen to profanity that they find offense is not the same as not going to an establishment that is not smoke free. At least you have a choice between a smoking and a non smoking bar.

I have been know to say a profanity or two during an upsetting, to me, incident on the ice BUT I'm not standing and chanting it over and over again. I don't think that UND or REA is going to take anyones season tickets for an occasional outburst.

I don't have a problem with the students standing, cheering, holding up signs, profanity etc. But the profanity does offend many including some students. Some one posted to leave your kids home. Another lame statement obviously made by someone who did not grow up in a hockey dominated area like GF.

Maybe GF wouldn't be much of a city without the university but along the same vein, FS hockey wouldn't be much without GF, UND alumni and season ticket holders.

Work together. Go to the meeting, state your position as students, offer solutions and COMPROMISE!!

I agree with Sic. The name change issue is a priority on UNDs 'to do list'. It's important UND and the community show their respect for the name and logo. I don't think this meeting is coincidental to the issue.