SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX VS BEAVERS

AZSIOUX

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tommorow Lee, Oshie, Toews, and Chorney can fight with essentially no penalty.

Toews is still practicing with the Canadian WJ team. :silly:

If they did get in a fight, would they still have to sit out a game once they returned? I'm unclear on the exact rule...

Either way, hopefully the Sioux can play better, smarter hockey tomorrow and come out with another win (and snap their home losing streak in the process).

Toews is still practicing with the Canadian WJ team. :silly:

If they did get in a fight, would they still have to sit out a game once they returned? I'm unclear on the exact rule...

Either way, hopefully the Sioux can play better, smarter hockey tomorrow and come out with another win (and snap their home losing streak in the process).

They would be suspended for the game against Russia 12/26. (NOT.)

Seriously, with an upcoming chance to play for my country, the last thing I'd be doing is duking it out. Besides, Lotysz can bop the bozo after the game.

theres nothing like coming home from a night out and reading these threads..hell i even started this one but had a commitment so had to depend on my buddy at the game for text messages.i know...im bad...oh well, thanks for the entertaining read everyone and glad to see we won and tomorrow night i predict a fight and a lopsided score..ok im done, not sure if im even making sense...tomorrow night expect some between period trivia for some nice former sioux players signed cards like we have been doing in some previous games....tomorrow i will bust some sioux legends signed cards in the trivia..ok time to find my bed :silly:

To say Zach Jones was mad is the understatement of the year. I have never seen a player as upset as he was. He nearly punched one of the linesman, did punch Porter and had to be dragged to the box/bench by his teammates. I don't know what happened, but he was about seven levels beyond pissed off.

How does Spirko go from getting 0 penalties to getting 2 in one game? That is messed up.

Sorry I missed the game, but I'm glad to see Phil get a win! Sounds like he was hot hot hot tonight!

I won't be around tomorrow night (well, I guess it's TONIGHT but I'm all messed up from working until after midnight) but GO SIOUX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and Bulldogs :silly: .

To say Zach Jones was mad is the understatement of the year. I have never seen a player as upset as he was. He nearly punched one of the linesman, did punch Porter and had to be dragged to the box/bench by his teammates. I don't know what happened, but he was about seven levels beyond pissed off.

He popped Porter? Wow.

I knew I could use Google to find sites and articles and sources and all, but Google can also recalculate GAA and Save%? Wow. :silly:

If you want to know so badly, why not figure it out for yourself? What makes you think that any of us want to do it for you?

How does Spirko go from getting 0 penalties to getting 2 in one game? That is messed up.

Sorry I missed the game, but I'm glad to see Phil get a win! Sounds like he was hot hot hot tonight!

I won't be around tomorrow night (well, I guess it's TONIGHT but I'm all messed up from working until after midnight) but GO SIOUX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and Bulldogs :silly: .

Note to Sparky:

Play more physical in the offensive end does not apply to you.

Who would have ever thought that playing the Beavers would be a valuable weekend with respect to the PWR rankings. Although he seems to be a good kid I hope the Sioux can hand Sevedie his first loss this evening. Whoever recruits Goalies for BSU sure knows what he is doing.

A BIG Sioux win. Now to complete the sweep tonight at The Ralph to shore up the homefront so that these youngsters can begin to learn how important it is to win at home.

Last time through, I believe the Beavers gave the strong '03-'04 team a run for their money in OT in the Championship Game of the Sandwich Classic.

For those who will be in the building tonight, have fun.

For what it is worth, I think that BSU is the perfect addition to the WCHA for when someone drops. Sure hope it isn't Tech. Mankato might be wise to start playing in the CHA someday soon.

Just a quick note. I didn't get a chance to watch the game, but I read through all of the posts. During the Sioux's 5 on 3 early in the game, there seemed to be a lot of complaining about not shooting. I may get taken to the woodshed for this, but I think when it's that early in the game, scoring isn't probably the biggest priority. Don't get me wrong, but the team should try and score at any moment, but also realize that by cycling the puck and passing it back and forth across the zone, the other team is getting extremely tired. Most teams have their best players on the pk, especially a 5 on 3, so if you have the opportunity to make some extra cross-ice passes to tire out those players early, then take it. I'd imagine you'll score a lot more goals in the third if you just spend that first 5on3 tiring guys out.

A BIG Sioux win. Now to complete the sweep tonight at The Ralph to shore up the homefront so that these youngsters can begin to learn how important it is to win at home.

Last time through, I believe the Beavers gave the strong '03-'04 team a run for their money in OT in the Championship Game of the Sandwich Classic.

For those who will be in the building tonight, have fun.

For what it is worth, I think that BSU is the perfect addition to the WCHA for when someone drops. Sure hope it isn't Tech. Mankato might be wise to start playing in the CHA someday soon.

i say alaska...

We may be visiting this issue again in the future, I hope not just a hunch though. I had an argument this morning at the corner bar with my buddy how UND and WCHA fans don't want to give up a traditional rival like UofMN and UofWisconsin to play four games with the Beavers but, I don't know what do you do with the members of the CHA after Airforce leaves. Robert Morris to the ACHA, Niagra to the EZAC Huntsville and BSU to the WCHA, I suppose WSU to the CCHA. I can't see the WCHA going to 12 teams unless we do way with 4-6 more non conference games and then the schedule still gets more unbalanced.

2-1 Final.

Zach Jones is really ticked off. I wonder whom he is ticked at?

Well I was at the game last night and it got chippy, If I remember right, Smaby did something to Erickson and he thought that Jones did it and it got ugly, also the coaches were barking back and forth at each other Hak and Seratori and Barry and Seratori (spelling I know) it was interesting. I have never seen Jones snap that bad and it was ugly.

Most teams have their best players on the pk, especially a 5 on 3, so if you have the opportunity to make some extra cross-ice passes to tire out those players early, then take it. I'd imagine you'll score a lot more goals in the third if you just spend that first 5on3 tiring guys out.

These are college hockey players midway through the season. They're pretty well conditioned at this point. I don't think a 2 minute 5 on 3 is going to tire them to the point where they won't be able to perform competitively in the 3rd period. We ended up winning the game, but as Gretzky said, "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." Shoot the puck and look for rebounds.

These are college hockey players midway through the season. They're pretty well conditioned at this point. I don't think a 2 minute 5 on 3 is going to tire them to the point where they won't be able to perform competitively in the 3rd period. We ended up winning the game, but as Gretzky said, "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." Shoot the puck and look for rebounds.

exactly my view as well...

Exactly.

ANother point: It is one thing to have a PK dominate you 5 on 4, but on that early 5 on 3, UND didn't get a SINGLE SHOT ON GOAL. Sorry, when you are facing an opponent who is down 2 players for whatever, it is the BEST time to be aggressive in the offensive zone. A good 5 on 4 PK can cause confusion and endless cycling, sure, but when you only have three guys out on the ice not counting the goaltender, I don't see a whole lot to convince me that the Sioux shouldn't have been able to at least get one shot on goal.

To me, on special teams, there are many no-nos that really drive me crazy. Here are a list of them in order of worst thing you can do:

1. Give up a SHG. ESPECIALLY if you are up 5 on 3.

2. On a 5 on 3 PP, not getting a single shot on goal (especially if the 5 on 3 is longer than 20 seconds)

3. Giving up more SOG to the short handed team than you shoot on the PP. There is a reasonable assumption that you really shouldn't be spending too much time at all defending in your own zone while on the PP to begin with, but there are some really good PK teams out there.

4. Short handed odd man rushes. Rare, but holy crap how bad can your PP unit be to get caught like this. Note, I don't remember the last time the Sioux got caught in this situation, but I did see it in an NHL game.

5. This goes along with #3, but spending most of your PP time in your own zone. They are short handed. Why are less players outplaying you?

I love when we score SHGs, but really, there have been a TON of opportunities for them this year which really leads me to believe that a good PP unit is something to REALLY brag about nowadays, because shot handed opportunities on goal SHOULD be quite rare.

Edited by redwing77

It really hasn't come up here as of yet but Phil played an awesome game in net and he stopped 30+ shots in the game and has quitely got his Save percentage above 90%. In fact I was telling someone this morning that he single handily kept the Sioux in the game until we took over the game at the end. So I suppose he will be get more playing time.