SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux at Gophers.

Let'sGoHawks!

I will be at the games in January. Never been to a game at Mariucci. What can people tell me about it? Who will be there? Are there usually a lot of Sioux fans? Do they serve alcohol?

Mariucci is a great place to watch a game. It's got great sight lines for all fans, even in SRO where I'll be. Basically just one big bowl. There was a time you could move into some very high quality seats because of no-shows, but in the last few years it's been pretty full. I noticed a lot of maroon, empty chairs during the Wisc series broadcasts on FSN, though. :0

Generally the worst you'll get from the fans is the normal "overage Canadians" stuff, or some putzes sitting behind you who talk business all through the game, but I've experienced that at the Ralph too. Maybe some early teen-age punk who comes running up to yell in your face when you are down 7 goals, but you laugh when you picture them growing up and starting their own blog. Generally the fan base is less obnoxious than at Mankato or SCSU. If the Sioux are winning, it can be incredibly quiet in there.

I will be at the games in January. Never been to a game at Mariucci. What can people tell me about it? Who will be there? Are there usually a lot of Sioux fans? Do they serve alcohol?

I will be there cheering on the Maroon & Gold.

Mariucci is a cool arena, never been there for a college game only high school

Yes, should be a lot of UND fans in attendance

Will be a fun series

It's usually pretty sterile. Although admitedly anecdotal, usually I've been seated next to someone who hasn't been to many games, knows a little bit about hockey, knows very little about the Gophers, and knows nothing about the Sioux. People have generally not been openly hostile to me, usually just disparaging remarks about the school, the city, and the state under their breath, but loud enough for me to hear. Pretty tame overall.

They do not serve alcohol there.

And, yes, there is usually a healthy showing of Sioux fans.

Edited by mksioux

I will be there cheering on the Maroon & Gold.

Mariucci is a cool arena, never been there for a college game only high school

Yes, should be a lot of UND fans in attendance

Will be a fun series

I have been to a few Sioux-Goofy games there. I did not have much problem with the fans altough it has been a few years since I was there and those were the couple years where the Sioux really had some power house teams and the Goofers were a step behind the Sioux. There is no alcohol served there which is probably a big part of the reason there is less hostility toward opposing fans. It is funny how some people can change quite a bit if you get a few drinks in them. I witnessed quite a bit of abuse to some of the Goofer fans at the Ralph this past weekend. Which was fine with me since maybe they will stay home next time and most of them were briniging it on themselves. One guy in front of us was particularly annoying with his comments and smirks whenever the Goofers scored. Then he would stand up and pretend to do the rouser. A total idiot in my opinion and he desreved all the expletive laced comments that were directed his way.

Fun arena! I wish I was going. I have been in the past and it is a good time.

Security is upped for the series I think because I have been to many other games and it seems like they don't have as many guards. A couple of years ago one of them tried to kick me out because he mistook me for somebody else or a gopher fan told him I was being abnoxious, which I wasn't. I was upset at first, but after he understood that it was a misunderstanding everything was good. I ended up sitting behind Bochenski's hot mom because there were some open seats behind the Sioux bench. I think that was the game when there was a huge delay because the ice was messed up and Goldy was moon-skating through the fire extingusher smoke.

After the barnburners up in Grand Forks the Mariucci games always seem to be a let down. Sioux show up Friday play great and win. Gophs get pissed and pull it out Saturday. Games are lower scoring and forwards from both teams drift into corners instead of driving the net like they did last weekend.

After the barnburners up in Grand Forks the Mariucci games always seem to be a let down. Sioux show up Friday play great and win. Gophs get pissed and pull it out Saturday. Games are lower scoring and forwards from both teams drift into corners instead of driving the net like they did last weekend.

Great summary of the last decade of Gopher-Sioux hockey games !! :0

Just get rid of the olympic ice and it won't be a problem. :0

Fun arena! I wish I was going. I have been in the past and it is a good time.

Security is upped for the series I think because I have been to many other games and it seems like they don't have as many guards. A couple of years ago one of them tried to kick me out because he mistook me for somebody else or a gopher fan told him I was being abnoxious, which I wasn't. I was upset at first, but after he understood that it was a misunderstanding everything was good. I ended up sitting behind Bochenski's hot mom because there were some open seats behind the Sioux bench. I think that was the game when there was a huge delay because the ice was messed up and Goldy was moon-skating through the fire extingusher smoke.

ive gotten wine drunk with bo's mom in him and schneiders dorm room!!!!

she was in town for a game he got benched in 01!

I will be there with my daughter. Section 21 row 21.

Memories to share about the old Williams arena

1. 1979, Final weekend of the WCHA series the Sioux lead the league by 3 points: Gophers win on Friday night so the lead is down to 1 point. Saturday night the game goes back and forth. Sioux are up by one goal and the Gophers pull the goalie. Then freshman Dave Christian picks up a puck and comes in all alone. Instead of driving to the net to make sure of his shot he winds up and blasts a slap shot from the blue line into the net. We partied until dawn.

2. 1980: Sioux Gophers again. Thre are about 10 of us sitting in the reserved section across the ice from the students. My buddy gets hamered before the game and during a stoppage in play with the rink completely quiet he stands up, turns to the crowd, throws his arms in the air and yells "GOPHERS SUCK!" He then sits down as we all cringe. Shortly afterwards he gets up and heads to the men's can. 5-6 Gopher fans peel out of the crowd and follow him to the can. To this day we have no idea how he got out of there alive but he was very quiet the rest of the game.

3. General memories:

- I missed half of the goals in that arena because of the sightlines and the cement posts

- The first time I walked in I saw that roof over top the one goal where the basketball seats went up from there on the other side and saw all of the black marks from the pucks hitting it and thought what the heck is that?

- sitting below the balcony when the students started stomping there feet thinking that baby is coming down on me at any moment.

- Not being able to buy any hot concessions there for a year because the building was condemned. They couldn't have anything plugged into the wiring

Al I know is like the old Winter Sports Arena at UND, Williams arena had character and made it a lot tougher on the away team than Mariucci.

Just some random thoughts.

-

I will be there with my daughter. Section 21 row 21.

Memories to share about the old Williams arena

1. 1979, Final weekend of the WCHA series the Sioux lead the league by 3 points: Gophers win on Friday night so the lead is down to 1 point. Saturday night the game goes back and forth. Sioux are up by one goal and the Gophers pull the goalie. Then freshman Dave Christian picks up a puck and comes in all alone. Instead of driving to the net to make sure of his shot he winds up and blasts a slap shot from the blue line into the net. We partied until dawn.

2. 1980: Sioux Gophers again. Thre are about 10 of us sitting in the reserved section across the ice from the students. My buddy gets hamered before the game and during a stoppage in play with the rink completely quiet he stands up, turns to the crowd, throws his arms in the air and yells "GOPHERS SUCK!" He then sits down as we all cringe. Shortly afterwards he gets up and heads to the men's can. 5-6 Gopher fans peel out of the crowd and follow him to the can. To this day we have no idea how he got out of there alive but he was very quiet the rest of the game.

3. General memories:

- I missed half of the goals in that arena because of the sightlines and the cement posts

- The first time I walked in I saw that roof over top the one goal where the basketball seats went up from there on the other side and saw all of the black marks from the pucks hitting it and thought what the heck is that?

- sitting below the balcony when the students started stomping there feet thinking that baby is coming down on me at any moment.

- Not being able to buy any hot concessions there for a year because the building was condemned. They couldn't have anything plugged into the wiring

Al I know is like the old Winter Sports Arena at UND, Williams arena had character and made it a lot tougher on the away team than Mariucci.

Just some random thoughts.

-

Great post Stack ;) If anyone has an in I'd be willing to pay a premium for 3 tickets to Saturday's game.

GO SIOUX, GO USA