SiouxSports.com Forum

Chip On Shoulder

Taz Boy

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, UND did want Ryan Potulny and actively recruited him. But there was no room on the roster to offer Grant Potulny a scholarship. I believe that was the year that the Sioux recruited Josh Olsen. If the coaches had known that Olsen was going to bolt for Major Juniors rather than play college hockey they might have recruited Grant P. Blaiser readily admits they made a mistake in not recruiting him, but at the time the Sioux had other needs.

Irmen's had a chip on his shoulder ever since the Sioux passed him over. He felt he should have been offered a scholarship but the Sioux had other priorities. He should get over it and move on.

I can't think of a Sioux player from the MSP area that has carried a chip on his shoulder like Irman has. I guess UND hasn't had players on it's roster as a result of the Gophers passing them over for quite some time. All of the MSP and Minnesota kids (Z Parise, Brady Murray, Smaby, Finley, Stafford, Chorney, Lee, etc) who are playing and/or played for the Sioux are kids that the Gophers heavily recruited but they chose UND, so I guess there was no reason for them to carry around a chip. Matt Henderson is probably the last player that wanted to play for the Gophers but the Gophers didn't want him. So Billy Butters called Blaiser and Henderson walked on at UND and did quite well. He was the main cog in the Sioux winning the '97 National Championship. But he didn't carry a chip on his shoulder for four years (or even one year). He realized very quickly that the Gophers passing him over was a blessing in disguise.

Maybe Irman needs to plow into a goal at the end of this season to exorcize the demons he's carrying.

What do you mean the Sioux passed him over. The Sioux actively recruited him, how is that passing him over. Irmen signed with the Gophers because they wanted him more not because the Sioux passed him over. Way to show some class on your last sentence.

Who are you to call out specific people on a message board and hide behind your screen name? Lashing out at a player and parent the way you are now is in fact classless. You say personality played a big role in the Sioux recruiting Danny? If you can find me a college team in the nation that wouldnt want Danny on their roster, I'll shut my mouth. But until that happens (never will), I'm going to speak my mind. Have you ever thought that because Danny grew up in Fargo he grew up loving the NDSU Bison, and who was the Bison's greatest rival? The Sioux. He grew up a Gopher fan and that is the reason for his actions twords the sioux. Danny is not only a very talented player, but he carries his team with his work ethic and emotion. Have you ever seen someone get hit from behind before? I have. Get over it, when its an emotional game like that game was it happens, it happens to the best players in the world. Take Todd Bertuzzi for instance. Almost every player in the NHL has forgiven Todd, saying that it happens, it wasnt intended to go that far. I have yet to hear of someone beating the pulp out of him as you would say. You seem to think you know a lot more about the sport than you really do Jloos. On the topic of his celebration. Some people get overly excited when they score. I don't believe Danny is one of these players. I believe in whatever Mr. Danny Irmen does he has a purpose. When he was in the box, the UND student section was all over him, and only God knows what they were saying. And when giving the chance to rub it right back in there face, I don't know many people who would not have done something similar. You seem to be quite the expert in how top notch hockey teams respond to cocky, physical play. Maybe you can tell me the name of the league in which you acquired such knowledge...?

:0 Irmen is a great player, he has a ton of talent. However, this topic is titled "chip on shoulder". Todd Bertuzzi almost killed someone, and did end his career. He should be banned from the NHL for life. That is a terrible example.

I know Irmen as a cockey jerk, I have never seen any reason to think of him otherwise. It has nothing to do with him recruited by Minny - I would have the same opinion of him if he played for the Sioux. His dad is a jerk, the kid is a jerk, both my opinions based on personal experience. Again, I would say the same thing about several of the former Raider players/parents.

I seem to know a lot more about hockey than I do? You seem to know me personally. Although if you did, you probably would not have made the statement about hiding behind my screen name ;) Would you care to inform me of who you are, private message me and it will stay private.

Irmen is a jerk. My opinion based on a couple of dozen personal observations. Outside of the hockey rink he and his dad may be some of the nicest people in the world. However, they way they disrespected other players on both the opposing and home teams was classless. The way Irmen showboats, he did it all the time the one year he played for North, is classless. I figured he would have grown up, but apparently he has yet to do so.

I would never speak about a high school kid like this, but he is a junior in college and a second round NHL draft pick. I think he is old enough to handle criticism.

I will go ahead and say the same thing about a former Sioux. Jason Blake was a complete jerk and a classless hockey player. He finally grew up a few years into his NHL career and is now one of the best US players in hockey. I hope Irmen does the same, I really do, but he has not shown me any reason to think he is anything but a classless, cockey, punk.

Nothing wrong with the hometown boy (home state boy) wanting to stick it to his home state. How many Minnesota kids that play for other div. 1 team get jacked up to play the Gophers. I started watching Gopher hockey in 1971 and the list of Minnesota players that did not play for the gophers is long and distinguished. Minnesota kids want to do well against the Gophers. PK wants to do well against Becky and the ND kids that play for the Gophers want to do well against UND.

:0 Irmen is a great player, he has a ton of talent. However, this topic is titled "chip on shoulder". Todd Bertuzzi almost killed someone, and did end his career. He should be banned from the NHL for life. That is a terrible example.

I know Irmen as a cockey jerk, I have never seen any reason to think of him otherwise. It has nothing to do with him recruited by Minny - I would have the same opinion of him if he played for the Sioux. His dad is a jerk, the kid is a jerk, both my opinions based on personal experience. Again, I would say the same thing about several of the former Raider players/parents.

I seem to know a lot more about hockey than I do? You seem to know me personally. Although if you did, you probably would not have made the statement about hiding behind my screen name ;) Would you care to inform me of who you are, private message me and it will stay private.

Irmen is a jerk. My opinion based on a couple of dozen personal observations. Outside of the hockey rink he and his dad may be some of the nicest people in the world. However, they way they disrespected other players on both the opposing and home teams was classless. The way Irmen showboats, he did it all the time the one year he played for North, is classless. I figured he would have grown up, but apparently he has yet to do so.

I would never speak about a high school kid like this, but he is a junior in college and a second round NHL draft pick. I think he is old enough to handle criticism.

I will go ahead and say the same thing about a former Sioux. Jason Blake was a complete jerk and a classless hockey player. He finally grew up a few years into his NHL career and is now one of the best US players in hockey. I hope Irmen does the same, I really do, but he has not shown me any reason to think he is anything but a classless, cockey, punk.

When was the last time you talked to Irmen or his dad. I'm not saying he was or was not a jerk in High School but that was five or six years ago. I have talked to Danny many times and he has been great to me. As for his Dad, I have been with him at many home and away games and he has never acted the way you say he did. He may have been a jerk years ago but he certainly is not now.

When was the last time you talked to Irmen or his dad. I'm not saying he was or was not a jerk in High School but that was five or six years ago. I have talked to Danny many times and he has been great to me. As for his Dad, I have been with him at many home and away games and he has never acted the way you say he did. He may have been a jerk years ago but he certainly is not now.

I talk to the Potulny's. I sit with Irmen's dad. I get to talk to him. Blah blah blah. You are a jersey chaser. Get over

I talk to the Potulny's. I sit with Irmen's dad. I get to talk to him. Blah blah blah. You are a jersey chaser. Get over

If being personal friends with the Potulny and Irmen family makes me a jersey chaser I think you have the wrong defintion of a jersey chaser.

What do you mean the Sioux passed him over. The Sioux actively recruited him, how is that passing him over. Irmen signed with the Gophers because they wanted him more not because the Sioux passed him over. Way to show some class on your last sentence.

There is some misinformation on this board regarding recruiting. The Sioux wanted Danny Irmen but were unable to get him. Hakstol was in charge of that situation and apparently could not pull it off. The details of these situations will never be known by more than a few people who were directly involved and most of it is best left unsaid.

There is some misinformation on this board regarding recruiting. The Sioux wanted Danny Irmen but were unable to get him. Hakstol was in charge of that situation and apparently could not pull it off. The details of these situations will never be known by more than a few people who were directly involved and most of it is best left unsaid.

My impression was that the Sioux very much wanted both Ryan and Danny but they knew, because of what happened with the snafu Re: Grant, that the odds were that the Sioux wouldn't get Ryan so they went after Danny. Problem is, Danny is good friends with Ryan and Ryan probably played that much bigger of a role in Irman's decision to play for the Gophers.

There is a lot of negativity here that keeps coming out again and again in your posts. Some people you dislike (hate?) because of experiences in the past. Experiences that seem to trouble you deeply as you can't seem to let them go. I'd like to put some kind of positive face on this because I really think that all of this bashing is bad form. It is not necessary. I don't think it accomplishes anything - maybe some catharsis from previous hurts? It does seem to polarize people and fill the message board with negativity. Rather than see people move on and become better people you seem to relish using the same negative language to typify them, even when you wish them a better future. Maybe I can offer some sort of positive perspective on this. The people that you are ripping are not what you say they are to many other people - in the past or now. That is your experience but it is not the experience of everyone else. The people that you think were classless back when you were in youth hockey may well have grown up - you really don't know but you are still calling them names years later. Maybe you need to take a look at the way you are viewing the world. We live in a great state with a terrific D-1 hockey team, lots of people of all ethnic backgrounds, and religious beliefs. Maybe you could connect with one of those religious traditions and find some way to release all of this negativity so you are not maligning so many people in a public forum like this.

Inform me please Jloos, when was the last time you spoke personally with the Irmens? Have you ever spoken to an member of the Irmen family? If that was truely the case and you had formed any sort of friendship as you previously hinted, I would doubt you would be so corrupt to go behind there back and bash their family members. It's easy to make an assumption of who you are, by your actions and words Jloos. That is why it is still fact that you are hiding behind your screen name taking cheap shots at people that cannot otherwise defend themselves because of the fact that not everyone in the state can decifer who out of all the Loos' you are.

Edited by specifics

My impression was that the Sioux very much wanted both Ryan and Danny but they knew, because of what happened with the snafu Re: Grant, that the odds were that the Sioux wouldn't get Ryan so they went after Danny. Problem is, Danny is good friends with Ryan and Ryan probably played that much bigger of a role in Irman's decision to play for the Gophers.

That and UND was taking guys like Murray and Stafford. Irmen did allude to a less than inspirational UND recruiting trip in the Saturday Fargo paper. Irmen described it as a arena tour.

Even though most of his points are valid, does any else see the irony of someone called "specifics" accusing someone called jloos (likely J. Loos) of hiding behind a screen name? :0

Blais admitted it was a mistake to not recruit Grant Potulny. Ryan choose the college where his brother had been successful. Danny Irmen has stated that the Sioux recruitment pitch was basically to show him the REA. While the Sioux did recruit him, it can't be said that they did so aggressively. Danny had pretty much all but signed with MN before UND showed much interest. Of course it would have been fun to have the ND boys on the ND team... but they're not. My guess would be that the players from both teams are happy with their choice of colleges. Sioux fans knows that "our" boys made the best choice! :0

Any college athlete knows the excitement of going home to play against the "hometown" team or against other colleges/coaches who recruited (or should have recruited) that player. Of course they want to make a statement by playing their best game. I would have hoped for a little more maturity and a little less showboating after Danny's goal.

Edited by ozone

That and UND was taking guys like Murray and Stafford. Irmen did allude to a less than inspirational UND recruiting trip in the Saturday Fargo paper. Irmen described it as a arena tour.

Even though most of his points are valid, does any else see the irony of someone called "specifics" accusing someone called jloos (likely J. Loos) of hiding behind a screen name? :0

Maybe. But the point here is that jloos is naming specific people, including a parent - and continually using very negative language to describe them. Now, just because someone uses a screen name that appears to be a real name does not mean that it is in fact their real name. We had a situation on another thread where a person used another persons name and made comments that were out of character for the person whose name they used. (This is beginning to sound like double talk). I think the point being made by specifics is that a poster on the message board has an advantage as they can say negative things about real people but the readers of the post do not know the true source of the criticism-since the poster's identity is not shared. The analogy of an ambush comes to mind where there are attackers hiding behind trees shooting at you and you cannot see them to effectively defend yourself. Public figures and so forth are typically fair game but dragging private individuals into the mud is, in my code of ethics, not a good thing to do.

As long as I am at it let me share another one of jloos's posts from a year or so ago. In a high school thread he described a high school team as having most of their players as drug users. I think the thread is not accessible now or I would go back and quote it. It disappointed me a great deal to see that kind of a post on a public message board. As an adult, I knew all of the players on the team to whom he generalized. His statement was wrong. Jloos says that he does not criticize high school kids. Well, he made a serious error when he made that statement about a group of high school students. At the time I let that statement go without challenge, I wish I had challenged it back then because he is still pushing his negativity. My hope is that he would stop attacking people and intentionally or unintentionally hurting their reputations. We have had enough of this on siouxsports.com.

Irmen will have way more success at the NHL level that Prpich, mainly because Prpich will never see that level, but also because Irmen has much more skill. The numbers don't lie.

UND didn't recruit Grant much at all, and Minnesota and Michigan State were the two finalists for him. Irmen was also recruited by UND but as a earlier poster said, Minnesota wanted him more.

CC to the guy who said either one was wanted: if that's the case, Deano screwed up.

You are for sure right, Prpich is not as skilled as Irmen. I was talking at the college level. Irmen is highly skilled and will move on, but if he is going to play like that he should be ready to fight. I was just saying atleast Prpich knows that someone will go after him at one point. I hope Irmen knows that because he wont get away with that every weekend. I guess I dont watch the gophers enough to know if he plays like that all the time. Maybe he was just doing the extra stuff because he was in GF.

And next season with Danny and Ryan going pro we won't have to talk about this crap again. I can't wait I am so bored with this discussion. Honestly since the two kids from ND went to play for the Gophers that is all some have talked about, I can't wait until we can once again pick up the Herald and not have to read about Ryan and Danny and the Gophers blah, blah, blah... Except for maybe a Sioux trounching of the Goofers. Honestly I think we have players that are just as good as the two mentioned Goofers.

Bottom line here is this: goopher fans trying to extole the virtues of a player like irmen on a FIGHTING SIOUX MESSAGE BOARD, then not understanding why people aren't cordial to them. I think I will go over to your treasured goopher puuuuuuke live and start a thread about what a stand up kind of player Prphc is on the ice. That would be a hoot, if you guys could quit bashing harrington long enough there would be three pages a least slamming me with all of the adjectives you could think of. Nobody cares about irmen, potulny or kessel, take them all back with you to gpl, please.

And next season with Danny and Ryan going pro we won't have to talk about this crap again. I can't wait I am so bored with this discussion. Honestly since the two kids from ND went to play for the Gophers that is all some have talked about, I can't wait until we can once again pick up the Herald and not have to read about Ryan and Danny and the Gophers blah, blah, blah... Except for maybe a Sioux trounching of the Goofers. Honestly I think we have players that are just as good as the two mentioned Goofers.

Well said, i will not miss the recap in the Herald of the meal the Potulny's make for the team everytime they are in town.

As long as I am at it let me share another one of jloos's posts from a year or so ago. In a high school thread he described a high school team as having most of their players as drug users. I think the thread is not accessible now or I would go back and quote it. It disappointed me a great deal to see that kind of a post on a public message board. As an adult, I knew all of the players on the team to whom he generalized. His statement was wrong. Jloos says that he does not criticize high school kids. Well, he made a serious error when he made that statement about a group of high school students. At the time I let that statement go without challenge, I wish I had challenged it back then because he is still pushing his negativity. My hope is that he would stop attacking people and intentionally or unintentionally hurting their reputations. We have had enough of this on siouxsports.com.

I'm not sure where this animosity comes from, but it appears misplaced. I have never said anything negative about a group of high school students. Looking back on this board the only other people I have "ripped on" were LaDoucer - the GF ref - who I, along with most of the state, would rip on again, and Ward Churchill - the Marxist professor from CO. You must have me mixed up with someone else, what high school team was I referring to? I may have made a jab at South when half their team was suspended after a party a few years back. A lot of my posts use a literary device called satire. If you are not aware of what satire is, I suggest reading Jonathan Swift's A Modest Proposal.

I very rarely say anything negative on this board, or anywhere else. The only people that seem to have a problem are the people trolling the HS hockey board - I looked up your posts.

I will say it one last time and be done. The Irmen's were jerks when they were in Fargo - that is my opinion based on no intimate or personal knowledge outside of the hockey rink. This felt my opinion was relevant on the topic. Other people have similar opinions - thanks Cratter. So what - I am sure other people think I'm a total jerk, especially those in Mayville. I could care less, much like the Irmens could care less that I think they are jerks.

I also think all Irish people are poor, uneducated fools who should start eating their children to cure their hunger problem. Next I suppose you are going to tell my that you are Irish and deeply offended. :0 I'm done with this topic.

I'm not sure where this animosity comes from, but it appears misplaced. I have never said anything negative about a group of high school students. Looking back on this board the only other people I have "ripped on" were LaDoucer - the GF ref - who I, along with most of the state, would rip on again, and Ward Churchill - the Marxist professor from CO. You must have me mixed up with someone else, what high school team was I referring to? I may have made a jab at South when half their team was suspended after a party a few years back. A lot of my posts use a literary device called satire. If you are not aware of what satire is, I suggest reading Jonathan Swift's A Modest Proposal.

I very rarely say anything negative on this board, or anywhere else. The only people that seem to have a problem are the people trolling the HS hockey board - I looked up your posts.

I will say it one last time and be done. The Irmen's were jerks when they were in Fargo - that is my opinion based on no intimate or personal knowledge outside of the hockey rink. This felt my opinion was relevant on the topic. Other people have similar opinions - thanks Cratter. So what - I am sure other people think I'm a total jerk, especially those in Mayville. I could care less, much like the Irmens could care less that I think they are jerks.

I also think all Irish people are poor, uneducated fools who should start eating their children to cure their hunger problem. Next I suppose you are going to tell my that you are Irish and deeply offended. :0 I'm done with this topic.

jloos, your memory is failing you. I remember very clearly reading your opinion of that group of high school players last year in this forum. I remember being mortified, because I know many of these kids and your opinion was not only inflammatory, it was inaccurate. Since I know your cousins, I remember asking my kids if they knew who you were.

And next season with Danny and Ryan going pro we won't have to talk about this crap again. I can't wait I am so bored with this discussion.

Goon, I agree with that statment wholeheartedly (SHOCK). Big deal, two players went to UM vs. UND, you have great players on your team from MN, like I really care they picked UND over UM. Where is the actual hockey talk?

WPoS

jloos, your memory is failing you. I remember very clearly reading your opinion of that group of high school players last year in this forum. I remember being mortified, because I know many of these kids and your opinion was not only inflammatory, it was inaccurate. Since I know your cousins, I remember asking my kids if they knew who you were.

Exactly, the person who made that post had the screen name jloos and used, I believe Homer Simpson as their avator. I think I copied it and put it somewhere but I remember it clearly. Assuming you are the same person as the one using the Homer Simpson trademark - I think you claimed to be a law student. I thought to myself - wow - this guy is a law student and is making these kinds of accusations on a message board. Knowing that it was a gross distortion I was quite troubled about it but figured sometimes the best way to deal with that kind of trash is to ignore it. What prompted me to dredge it up was the same kind of statements this current jloos makes about a group of youth hockey parents - e.g. that most of them or half of them are (fill in the blank with your favorite vindictive term). jloos seems to draw conclusions about people or groups of people based on insufficient data. That may not be a problem until he says things about groups that are untrue. Part of the problem here is how message boards provide a venue that makes it difficult for people to censure their own thoughts. Note how he (jloos) has edited his previous post to take out the low brow language - and then, actually does a nice job or qualifying his experience in criticizing the parent - tying it specifically to his experiences in hockey.

My problem here is with the way jloos and the previous person using the jloos screen name draw incorrect conclusions about individuals or groups of kids/people from insufficient data. His final comments are a kick as well - the condescending citation of Swift. Oh well, I guess he needed to get in one final jab. There are lots of other people who are aware of that drug use slam - lots of them. Maybe his memory will come back on this one. I recall the next post after his was from Jack Mickelson and then Mickelson talked about who he respected on the team that jloos inaccurately described.