SiouxSports.com Forum

Chip On Shoulder

Taz Boy

Who in Grand Forks shot Potulny's dog? Someone door ding Irmen's car? The interview's with these two and the on-ice antics (Irmen) were a little over the top. I can understand getting fired up for the games, but do we need to hear about "it" constantly? I guess I'd put most of the blame on FSN for hyping it and ask the leading questions during the period interviews.

Do they take some serious heat from the locals, or what?

taz digs the impartial FSN post game coverage

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Though he'd probably never admit it, Irmen probably would have liked a little more love in the recruiting process than he apparently received from the Sioux. And as bad as that loss in Ohio last year was for the fans, I'm sure Irmen took it worse knowing he could have played better.

I agree that Irmen's antics were over the top and he seems borderline out of control in recent games with UND.

Though he'd probably never admit it, Irmen probably would have liked a little more love in the recruiting process than he apparently received from the Sioux. And as bad as that loss in Ohio last year was for the fans, I'm sure Irmen took it worse knowing he could have played better.

I agree that Irmen's antics were over the top and he seems borderline out of control in recent games with UND.

I wouldn't mind having that borderline out-of-control type of play for the Sioux! ;)

I keep having to remind myself that these guys are relatively young, and not completely polished as sports "stars". Plus, I'm not looking for best behavior all the time, on or off ice. They're human; they get motivated, show emotion. Seems pretty normal. But, I get this impression that both those two are wearing a "Not Sioux" logo on their jersey. I just think that at some point a guy just has to let it go. Again, FSN reporting pushed it out of them. Quarters in, music out.

As for recruiting, I can only imagine the variables that go into the selection of talent for a team. Likewise, the candidate has a lot to decide on as well. Just because your a home-town kid doesn't mean you fit with the team. I would have loved to have Grant Potulny's talent for the Sioux, but who know's if he would have excelled there like at UMN? Perhaps UMN was just a better fit for him? Same for Kessel, Parise. You make your choice and go. And once you do, leave it at that.

Anyway, I must prepare for my trip to the Holy Land tomorrow to watch the Sioux gain a split. I will be riding with a Gopher, so I'm bringing headphones-- noise cancelling. ;)

taz

Typical ignorant statement.

Please. It has nothing to do with the fact that Danny's a Gopher and everything to do with the idiotic "look at me look at me look at me" preening for the cameras that today's athletes seem to love so much. Maybe tonite FSN North can do a nice presentation on Twin Cities kids leaving Minnesota and going to North Dakota to play hockey and how they feel when they play the 'U'.

Irman needs to realize that he is not Phil Kessel and that he doesn't need to be. It seems as if the whole Minnesota team requires extra attention. Is scoring a awesome goal no enough for Irman to show the students?;) Celebrate and let the score board do the talking.

I was really taken back how much players from Minnesota argued with the refs play after play. At one point Guyer had to push his teammate away from the ref. Their is little to no modesty for this young Gopher team.

We got beat and there is no arguing that, but have some pride on the ice - there is no need for show boating.

Had I been sitting in the penalty box and the opponent's crowd been ripping me for 2 minutes, if I came out of the box and made the goalie look like a fool and probably would have done the same thing "right back atcha".

You do realize that's the same type of justification Randy Moss gave for fake mooning the Lambeau fans, don't you?

You do realize that's the same type of justification Randy Moss gave for fake mooning the Lambeau fans, don't you?

hate to talk footbal here but what moss did was fricken funny, he was having fun back at the fans who moon them for real when the players leave o the busses..it 2005 now and things change...irmen will get his azz layed out tonight as the sioux split with the rodents...

Here is his explanation as quoted in The Herald:

"I grew up watching the Sioux, and it really means a lot to a (North Dakota) native to beat the Sioux," said Irmen, who is originally from Fargo. "The celebration, I was just trying to show a little Minnesota pride there."
"I was in the penalty box and it's pretty ruthless in there, so I thought I could go show them my jersey after I scored."

Whatever. I'll just chalk it up to immaturity on his part. Or being old-fashioned on my part.

And because it's just a matter of time before Gopher fans arrive and start talking about Jason Blake, I'll beat them to the punch. I don't ever recall him popping his jersey, but I'm sure he did something similar back in his UND days. Everyone I talked to that met Blaker told me he was an arrogant jerk. So saying Blake did it too, doesn't mean much to me.

(And I'm not going to even mention Hauser flicking off the UND bench in the 2002 wcha playoffs. Oops, I just did. ;) )

And I'm sure we'll learn about all of the classless acts ever committed by Sioux players against the Gophers now. That's fine. But until I hear otherwise, I'll just assume there are none. ;)

To be fair, I thought the same about the Maine player shushing the crowd in the 2002 NC game. For Sioux fans that thought that was a cool move, you probably shouldn't be posting in this thread. Fortunately for that Gopher team, they made him eat humble pie by the end of the game. Unfortunately for the Sioux, they couldn't do the same to Irmen last night.

Who in Grand Forks shot Potulny's dog? Someone door ding Irmen's car? The interview's with these two and the on-ice antics (Irmen) were a little over the top. I can understand getting fired up for the games, but do we need to hear about "it" constantly? I guess I'd put most of the blame on FSN for hyping it and ask the leading questions during the period interviews.

Do they take some serious heat from the locals, or what?

taz digs the impartial FSN post game coverage

I have a door ding in my car too. It must have been a Gopher fan.

Irmen shouldn't have even been in the game. That charge against Prpich was a blatant check from behind. Prpich never once faced towards Irmen. If it hadn't been for another player between Prpich and the boards, he would have gone into them.

Irmen shouldn't have even been in the game. That charge against Prpich was a blatant check from behind. Prpich never once faced towards Irmen. If it hadn't been for another player between Prpich and the boards, he would have gone into them.

I watched that hit again, you are correct. If that isn't a 5 minute and game DQ, i don't know what is. What a cheap ass! I'm not saying we would have won the game, but this is another call the officials blew.

Our endless whining about Irmen and the refs doesn't make me feel any better about losing.

Were there bad calls - - absolutely. But, they went both ways. Dont forget in the first period with Minnesota up 1-0 one of their guys came down the right side on his way to a break away and was tomahawked from behind with a two hander and didn't even get a shot off. It was blatant and made a huge impact on the play but no penalty was called. If they score it's 2-0 and it could have gotten ugly.

Irmen did showboat - I thought it was over the top especially getting a lucky pass to get a goal out of the penalty box. Bringing up his family and criticizing them on these boards is also over the top.

We better be ready to play tonight. I'm worried that the Goofies may come out and play relaxed which I think benefits them - especially if we play tight.

Toews looked great last night - hope he gets a couple tonight.

UND player does it it is cool, Gopher does it, it is showboating/being over the top...

When Wally played for DU, I used to LOVE his antics, even from an opposing player. Was Metcalf's "shh" in 2002FF any worse? I thought UND fans had thicker skin...

Grow up people....

WPoS