SiouxSports.com Forum

The State of Sioux Football

bincitysioux

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey--new to the board. Why would you think that UND football is regressing? You guys have been kicking ass for quite a few years now. I know NDSU is in IAA now but besides the former rivalry why do you guys care?

I've already stated my regression opinion. And it's not all about NDSU. Obviously it's frustrating when your biggest rival moves up and you sit still. But there have been six schools that have left the NCC for DIAA since the 1970s (someone correct me if I'm wrong), including some of the biggest names. UND's conference schedule is diluted, and the non-conference schedule is simply embarassing.

Just an outside opinion. You guys could probly compete in the top 10--even top 5 of IAA tomorrow.
Then we should.

What's the talk of moving up with your new AD?

They're going to study the possibility of further study of the study of moving up to DI. I hope that answers your question.

Not trying to hijack the thread (ok, maybe I am), but I've heard alot of talk about Trenbreath. Is it guaranteed he will play next year. If so, that's fantastic. When he first got injured I was worried he wouldn't even be able to live a "normal" life. Now it looks like he might be playing football again.

Not trying to hijack the thread (ok, maybe I am), but I've heard alot of talk about Trenbreath. Is it guaranteed he will play next year. If so, that's fantastic. When he first got injured I was worried he wouldn't even be able to live a "normal" life. Now it looks like he might be playing football again.

I'm almost positive he was named scout offensive player of the week at least once, so presumably he practiced all year. I have to think he was medically cleared to play prior to this past season.

UND 1976 schedule

9/11 Montana State

9/18 at Wisconsin

9/25 at Delaware

10/2 Northern Iowa

10/9 South Dakota

10/16 at South Dakota State

10/23 North Dakota State

11/6 at Augustana

11/13 at Morningside

UND 2006 schedule

A. Sept. 2 Central Washington

A. Sept. 9 Mesa State

H. Sept. 16 Winona State

H. Sept. 23 Western Washington

A. Sept. 30 Augustana

H. Oct. 7 Minnesota State

A. Oct. 14 UN-Omaha

Oct. 21 OPEN-

H. Oct. 28 UM-Duluth

A. Nov. 4 St Cloud

H. Nov. 11 USD

UND 1976 schedule

9/11 Montana State

9/18 at Wisconsin

9/25 at Delaware

10/2 Northern Iowa

10/9 South Dakota

10/16 at South Dakota State

10/23 North Dakota State

11/6 at Augustana

11/13 at Morningside

UND 2006 schedule

A. Sept. 2 Central Washington

A. Sept. 9 Mesa State

H. Sept. 16 Winona State

H. Sept. 23 Western Washington

A. Sept. 30 Augustana

H. Oct. 7 Minnesota State

A. Oct. 14 UN-Omaha

Oct. 21 OPEN-

H. Oct. 28 UM-Duluth

A. Nov. 4 St Cloud

H. Nov. 11 USD

1976 was definitely one of the high water marks in terms of a schedule filled with recognizable names. Just don't bring up what UND's record was that year. :glare:

1976 was definitely one of the high water marks in terms of a schedule filled with recognizable names. Just don't bring up what UND's record was that year. :glare:

I don't recall the record but it was terrible. Delaware which was D2 (there was no Div 1AA) and Wisconsin kicked the crap out of UND and they never recovered. Carl Miller, the AD, vowed to never schedule D1 teams again. I don't think he even wanted to play the better D2 teams. Playing the Gophers, Wisconsin, UNLV and simalar teams were a very good recruiting tool for athletes that might want to see how they measured up to the big timers. We played the Gophers my senior year 1973 and the following year 1974 when the Gophers came from behind to win in the last couple of minutes.

I know MKSioux thinks the 1970's were the pinnacle of success for UND football but the 1990's through now are unprecedented. UND has sustained the success without the drought that followed the after the 1975 team. Murphy resurected the program then it died under Behrns. Roger and Dale resurected the program again and it is as strong now as it has ever been.

When teams have reunions and when alumni get together no one says we didnt' have as good of a time because we were D2. It is about the relationships and it always has been and always will be. That includes the relationsips with the fans and other students. The St. John's players experience winning the National title was not lessened because they were D3.

As UND moves to D1AA we must consider what will happen to the swimmers, golfers, BB players etc. We are ready to go D1AA. D1 for the other sports will not be as good in my opinion but I am sure things will work out if we can come up with the $$.

I know MKSioux thinks the 1970's were the pinnacle of success for UND football but the 1990's through now are unprecedented. UND has sustained the success without the drought that followed the after the 1975 team. Murphy resurected the program then it died under Behrns. Roger and Dale resurected the program again and it is as strong now as it has ever been.

We need to start asking against whom we continue to have unprecedented success. That's my point. My position is that UND is a flagship school with a proud history and tradition and it should get back to playing schools that are similarly situated. I'm not saying it has to regularly play Wisconsin or Minnesota, but the Montana schools, NDSU, etc. is not too much to ask. Every UND fan I talk to (besides those that post on this board) wishes UND could play the old rivals and NOT the Mesas, Winonas, and the West Chesters of the world.

We need to start asking against whom we continue to have unprecedented success. That's my point. My position is that UND is a flagship school with a proud history and tradition and it should get back to playing schools that are similarly situated. I'm not saying it has to regularly play Wisconsin or Minnesota, but the Montana schools, NDSU, etc. is not too much to ask. Every UND fan I talk to (besides those that post on this board) wishes UND could play the old rivals and NOT the Mesas, Winonas, and the West Chesters of the world.

I hear ya. It will take an extra $800,000 to 1,000, 000 per year for salaries and scholarships. UND should be D1 and we need to figure out a way to be successful at whatever level we play. I support the move but where will the extra $$$ each year come from. I wouldn't make the move just for FB so we need to have the $$$ to support the other sports before we move. Hell, come up with enough money, why bother with the D1AA level? There are a number of schools smaller than UND that compete at D1. It will take refurbishing facilities and a big endowment to do it.

Depends on which poll you "believe"...

UND @ 161 - Wolfe's College Football

GVSU @ 121 (Top D-II)

SVSU @ 132

UND @ 161 - (7th Overall D-II)

UNO @ 174

USD @ 180

UMD @ 197

Hamptom @ 109 (Top DI-AA)

UW-Whitewater @ 188 (Top DIII)

St Francis (IN) @ 241 (Top NAIA)

Way at the bottom...it also shows the NCC to be the TOP-RATED DII conference.

The only DII polls that matter are the regionals and next-years pre-season number one.

UND @ 157

GVSU keeps winning...UND keeps moving up.

How many varsity sports does GV offer?

cypress,

Did you mean Director's Cup?

NACDA - Director's Cup (2005-06 Standings)

NACDA - Directors Cup (Previous Standings)

University of North Dakota

4th - 2003/2004

4th - 2004/2005

BigGame,

GVSU Lakers

MEN

Baseball

Basketball

Cross Country

Football

Golf

Swimming

Tennis

Track

WOMEN

Basketball

Cross Country

Golf

Soccer

Softball

Swimming

Tennis

Track

Volleyball

This is getting off topic...

NACDA - Scoring Structure

"Point Determinations

Standings for the 2005-06 Sports Academy Directors' Cup will be based upon the size of the bracket. A minimum of five (5) points will be awarded to any team that places 65th or lower. Divisional sports that have a participation percentage of 25 percent or less will receive 50 percent of the points allocated for that bracket. "

Which sports receive 50% points allocation (as it relates to UND)?

Men's Hockey (?)

Women's Hockey

Men's Swimming

Women's Swimming

Men's Hockey gets 50% for a DI/DIII school but apparently 0% under the DII and National Collegiate columns. :D

Women's Hockey gets 50% for all divisions under the National Collegiate column.

NACDA - Point Allocation %

Considering UND is "penalized" in three of its stronger sports I think a 4th place finish is very good! ;)

We need to petition NACDA to include Men's Hockey under the National Collegiate column!

I'm not going to try to recreate my entire post from the lost thread. I will encourage anyone interested in the history of UND football to visit this site. Pay particular attention to the 1970s (the glory days of UND football in my opinion). Then ask -- in the big picture -- is the UND football program progressing or regressing? I submit UND is regressing based on the company in which it keeps. UND is a flagship university with a storied history and proud tradition and deserves to be playing similar schools...even if it means losing a couple more games per year.

I agree. We had a good schedule this season with Westchester, Winona, Central Wash, and the NCC. But in 1972, UND went 10-1, won the Camelia Bowl, and the schedule included Montana, Montana St., SDSU, NDSU, Northern Iowa, UNLV, and Cal-Poly. 7 of 11 games against schools that are currently DI. In 1961 we played both Montana schools, SDSU, NDSU, Northern Iowa, Youngstown, and Nebraska. 6 of 9 games against schools that are currently DI.

• 2 weeks later...

WOW!! APPALACHIAN STATE!! That is a HUGE name in football!!! :D Makes me want to crawl on my knees over broken glass and buffalo head nickels to beat a big-time division one-AA football name like that ;):0 I'm sure the ag college would have rolled over them IF ONLY they were playoff eligible.... :lol::D

I saw Appalachian Emergency Room on SNL last nite...does that count?

I am just hoping that we get UM-Crookston back on the schedule. Playing them multiple times a year in every other sport has really made me miss the FB matchup.

Yep, and maybe we'll renew our rivalry with Valley City State, Crookston High, and the G.F. American Legion too. Then we'll have come full circle. :lol: