SiouxSports.com Forum

The State of Sioux Football

bincitysioux

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see your point about the company you keep being a reflection on the program. But I would wholeheartedly disagree that the program is regressing. Despite this season's disappointment, the Dale Lennon era of Sioux football has been incredibly successful. And with Lennon signed on for another five years, I think more great things are in the future for this program whether it be at the D2 or I-AA level.

I haven't read all of the posts in this thread, but this one made me want to say something. I played back in the early 90's, and was there with Coach Thomas. In my opinion, the current level of success started with Thomas. He was fair with all his players and a great coach. He knew the game and was able to get the right coordinators in underneath him. The best of which was obviously Lennon. He was a hard-nosed D coordinator when I was there. He knew how to plan and shut down the other team. Coach Thomas gave him his break, and Lennon has taken it and ran with it. He can definitely coach a defense.

• 3 weeks later...
I see in the herald that total attendance for sioux fb was 58,000 over 7 games for a 8,285 average. Is attendance (interest) declining?

Those numbers are incorrect. Through the six regular season games, UND drew a total of 60,757, for an average of 10,126 per game. The playoff game was very poorly attended (just as the game at GVSU was--we're not the only ones who drew well during the regular season but who struggled with playoff attendance), and dropped the average down to just over 9400.

DATE OPPONENT W/L SCORE ATTEND

------------ ------------------------ --- ----- ------

Aug 27, 2005 at Central Washington W 44-20 1915

Sep 03, 2005 #15 WEST CHESTER W 41-7 9356

Sep 10, 2005 at Winona State W 51-6 4468

Sep 17, 2005 WESTERN WASHINGTON W 47-7 10681

*Sep 24, 2005 AUGUSTANA (SD) W 52-3 8952

*Oct 01, 2005 #11 ST. CLOUD STATE W 37-14 12202

Oct 08, 2005 FERRIS STATE W 44-7 8838

*Oct 15, 2005 at Minnesota Duluth W 33-10 4313

*Oct 22, 2005 at Minnesota State W 26-7 2612

*Oct 29, 2005 #25 NEBRASKA-OMAHA L 19-20 10728

*Nov 05, 2005 at #16 South Dakota L 30-42 9729

Nov 12, 2005 MINNESOTA DULUTH W 23-12 5223

Nov 19, 2005 at Grand Valley State L 3-17 5429

Those numbers are incorrect. Through the six regular season games, UND drew a total of 60,757, for an average of 10,126 per game. The playoff game was very poorly attended (just as the game at GVSU was--we're not the only ones who drew well during the regular season but who struggled with playoff attendance), and dropped the average down to just over 9400.

Why are the Alerus numbers different from the sioux sport dept.? Since the Alerus counts the gate I would think that they would have the correct numbers. I know for the West Chester game the paper gave the attendance of around 7000 and the sioux web site didn't report attendance for several weeks. Then they post an attendance of 9356? :huh:

Why are the Alerus numbers different from the sioux sport dept.? Since the Alerus counts the gate I would think that they would have the correct numbers. I know for the West Chester game the paper gave the attendance of around 7000 and the sioux web site didn't report attendance for several weeks. Then they post an attendance of 9356? :huh:

Sorry, I don't have all the answers. I believe it was the Ferris St. game that there wasn't attendance reported initially. I know it wasn't the West Chester game. In any event, UND's yearly attendance has held quite steady between 9000 and 10,000 per game since the opening of the Alerus. It has not significantly gone down, which I believe was your original question.

Sorry, I don't have all the answers. I believe it was the Ferris St. game that there wasn't attendance reported initially. I know it wasn't the West Chester game. In any event, UND's yearly attendance has held quite steady between 9000 and 10,000 per game since the opening of the Alerus. It has not significantly gone down, which I believe was your original question.

Actually it was the Western Washington game. Just seems funny that the alerus would under report fb attendance. If it's true that 58,000 is the number then your seeing a large decrease in attendance. 8200 per game vs. 9389 for 2004.

Actually it was the Western Washington game. Just seems funny that the alerus would under report fb attendance. If it's true that 58,000 is the number then your seeing a large decrease in attendance. 8200 per game vs. 9389 for 2004.

Just a thought, but maybe it was Herald writer Tu-Uyen Tran who got it wrong. Personally, I'm going to believe the UND athletic department over Tran. The other possibility is that the Alerus doesn't include students in its internal count (as opposed to the "official" number reported in the box scores), since they don't purchase tickets. I'm not going to get all up-in-arms about UND football attendance based upon one line from a Herald article about the Alerus.

It's possible UND reports tickets sold (a pretty common practice) for the official attendance, while the Alerus figures are the actual bodies in the building. I remember many a game at the old Engelstad that was reported 6067 when it was obvious the place wasn't full. That smaller figure used by the Alerus would be more to the gist of the article, since concessions are a sizable portion of revenue.

I've dealt with enough reporters to know they do misunderstand things and do make mistakes. ("Sudo"-reporters never have these issues, right PCM? :huh: )

What's the issue here? We have UND's numbers. That's what matters, what is reported by the school, not what your eyes or other folks may report. (We've learned this many times from fans of various other programs.)

6 regular season games: 10126 average (and a really horrible turnout v. UMD at 5223).