SiouxSports.com Forum

Quarterback

sucka

I would like to know how long we keep Belmore in the game. I have not been able to see the last three games but from what I have been reading is that Belmore hasn't been playing that well. I agree that he has been playing all year so we can't just be ready to jump ship on him, however at what point do the coaches say enough is enough. When do we put Reed in and see if he can do a better job leading the offense. He is very capable and may be the better of the two. But as most know from recent posts I will admit to being a Manke fan. BK=LOSER

Last week was by far his worst performance to date, but he is still our number 1. Now if he comes out this coming week and performs like the second half of last I think Reed will defintely be put in. This week is big because it's going to be a statement of whether not Belmore can put last week behind him and come through this week in a big game that has implications on how the playoffs will go. I am looking forward to see how he does and how well the Sioux come out after a very disappointing loss.

Season Totals:

PASSING GP-GS Effic Att-Cmp-Int Pct Yds TD Lng Avg/G

------------------------------------------------------------------

Chris Belmore 10-9 151.86 226-146-8 64.6 1831 18 80 183.1

Reed Manke 9-0 180.67 31-22-0 71.0 287 3 36 31.9

We are lucky to have both these guys.

I believe Belmore will bounce back from his last two outings. This weekends match-up

with USD is a big game with important implications...I do not expect Lennon to play Manke unless Belmore is losing the game.

This may not be an identical situation, but in the 2003 season, I seem to recall Bowenkamp being pulled a few times in favor of Joe Wilson when he was struggling. Like Belmore now, Bowenkamp was in his second season as starter in 2003, and had his share of ups and downs. If, as expected, Belmore gets the start on Saturday, I think he needs to be on a very short leash. It's not like there's some inexperienced freshman backup. Manke can play. Keep in mind that the passing game will be key on Saturday. Like UNO, USD is decent against the run, but bad against the pass. This will not be a game to go ultra-conservative, because USD will put up some points. Their offense is better than Omaha's, particularly playing in Vermillion. We probably need to score 30 points to have a good chance to win, and it will be difficult to do so without being more aggressive with the playcalling.

This may not be an identical situation, but in the 2003 season, I seem to recall Bowenkamp being pulled a few times in favor of Joe Wilson when he was struggling. Like Belmore now, Bowenkamp was in his second season as starter in 2003, and had his share of ups and downs. If, as expected, Belmore gets the start on Saturday, I think he needs to be on a very short leash. It's not like there's some inexperienced freshman backup. Manke can play. Keep in mind that the passing game will be key on Saturday. Like UNO, USD is decent against the run, but bad against the pass. This will not be a game to go ultra-conservative, because USD will put up some points. Their offense is better than Omaha's, particularly playing in Vermillion. We probably need to score 30 points to have a good chance to win, and it will be difficult to do so without being more aggressive with the playcalling.

I agree, Belmore is the guy but needs to be on a short leash. Even if he struggles a little throwing the ball UND could be fine as long their isn't turnovers, especially turnovers giving USD a short field.

Manke must be wondering just what has to happen in order to get a shot. I don't agree with the "short leash" comments however. One of our major problems is the offensive philosophy. When we are dominating a team, the offense is unpredictable, resourseful, and mixes plays well. However, when things are tight so is our play selection. I believe that we lost the Omaha game for the most part because of extremely conservative and predictable play selection. We play not to lose in close games. How many times in the second half did we begin an offensive series with a 2 yard run. We set ourselves up for failure and prefer to rely on our punting and defense. Our offense seems to be more interested in figuring where we can pin them back to if we punt than moving the ball or scoring. We have squandered marvelous field position with poor play selection. This game matters - open things up please.

Manke must be wondering just what has to happen in order to get a shot. I don't agree with the "short leash" comments however. One of our major problems is the offensive philosophy. When we are dominating a team, the offense is unpredictable, resourseful, and mixes plays well. However, when things are tight so is our play selection. I believe that we lost the Omaha game for the most part because of extremely conservative and predictable play selection. We play not to lose in close games. How many times in the second half did we begin an offensive series with a 2 yard run. We set ourselves up for failure and prefer to rely on our punting and defense. Our offense seems to be more interested in figuring where we can pin them back to if we punt than moving the ball or scoring. We have squandered marvelous field position with poor play selection. This game matters - open things up please.

I agree. I think that Belmore is a great quarterback but he doesn't throw the ball as well as Manke. I have talked to some experts and they agree that Reed throws the better ball, but Belmore is more athletic. If this is the case, put him on the short leash and remember that if we do start to struggle more than necessary put in Reed. He knows how to win and he will do it.

P.S. BK are you in relationship mode? No one has heard from you in a long time. Does your ball and chain restrict your computer priviledges?

The issue of playcalling came up on the coaches' show last night, and Dale Lennon made a point of distinguishing between a conservative offense, and one that simply failed to put many points on the board. His feeling was that UND wasn't being conservative against UNO--they just made too many mistakes.

As for the short leash comments, my feeling is that Belmore should be pulled if he has another bad turnover. He simply can't fumble anymore. And if he gets intercepted, it needs to be on a long pass attempt or the result of a receiver bobbling the ball. I've always felt that as between Belmore and Manke, Belmore has more of the "measurables," i.e. size, speed and perhaps arm strength. Manke would seem to have all the intangibles going for him, and he had a far superior high school career. I certainly don't claim to know better than Mussman or Lennon who should be playing, but I honestly feel that Manke is a winner and deserves a legitimate shot to play before his career is over.

The issue of playcalling came up on the coaches' show last night, and Dale Lennon made a point of distinguishing between a conservative offense, and one that simply failed to put many points on the board. His feeling was that UND wasn't being conservative against UNO--they just made too many mistakes.

As for the short leash comments, my feeling is that Belmore should be pulled if he has another bad turnover. He simply can't fumble anymore. And if he gets intercepted, it needs to be on a long pass attempt or the result of a receiver bobbling the ball. I've always felt that as between Belmore and Manke, Belmore has more of the "measurables," i.e. size, speed and perhaps arm strength. Manke would seem to have all the intangibles going for him, and he had a far superior high school career. I certainly don't claim to know better than Mussman or Lennon who should be playing, but I honestly feel that Manke is a winner and deserves a legitimate shot to play before his career is over.

I would respectfully disagree with Coach Lennon. I'm not trying to be overly critical - He's done a great job with the program. I wonder what others who were at the game think of the play selection - This is one area that drives me nuts - it seems that the tighter the game, the more conservative we get. Anyone else have an opinion?

I would respectfully disagree with Coach Lennon. I'm not trying to be overly critical - He's done a great job with the program. I wonder what others who were at the game think of the play selection - This is one area that drives me nuts - it seems that the tighter the game, the more conservative we get. Anyone else have an opinion?

I'm not always a huge fan of the playcalling, but I suppose that's normal for fans to second-guess the offensive coordinator. I felt that we didn't really attack UNO's weakness--their corners--enough. But it was the turnovers, not the playcalling, that was the real problem.

One other thing Lennon said on the show last night that is quite true--and I'm paraphrasing here--is that fans want the offense to be as dominant as the defense. With just 36 scholarships, that's simply not realistic. With a couple of exceptions, UND's top talent is on the defensive side of the ball. That doesn't mean the offense has to be sub-par, and it certainly hasn't for most of this year, but it's also unlikely that it's going to consistently be a 40-plus ppg unit, either.

I agree CB didn't have a great game, but turnovers are what really killed the Sioux. Mussman's play calling is atrocious though. That's what led to Grossman losing the ball in the 4th. He caught the ball, but the DB knew it was coming so he got there the same time as the ball and just ripped it away and took it. How 'bout some play-action? How 'bout lining Dressler up in the slot? How 'bout some pump fakes off the short routes (esp. the bubble screens) for a big gainer down field? Dressler needs at least 15 offensive touches/game.

Turnovers are why UND lost to UNO. Conserative play calling with a 19 point lead didn't lose the game. It didn't help, but it certainly didn't cost UND the game.

I agree that it is easy to second guess when things go bad, but the play calling does not seem to adjust to the defense. UNO brought everyone up on defense in the 2nd half, after the long interception we did not throw a pass more than 5yds downfield until we were behind and had too. The running game had to go against it and every pass had to be thrown into traffic. This has become the pattern. I would like to see more confidence in what the offense can do, they may not play so uptight.

Why did we allow one player (Denney) beat us? Just like last year they threw the ball to him 95% of the times he was in the game, the UNO QB would not even look in any other direction. We stayed in single coverage against a very athletic WR.

Regarding Denney, I personally would have double-covered him in the last couple of possessions because I don't think they had any intentions of throwing the ball anywhere else, at least on 3th and 4th downs. With that said, however, Lennon did mention on the radio last night something about a missed assignment, which makes me think somebody was supposed to have been helping Hoffschneider on the long 4th down conversion along the UND sideline in the 4th quarter.

With that said, however, Lennon did mention on the radio last night something about a missed assignment, which makes me think somebody was supposed to have been helping Hoffschneider on the long 4th down conversion along the UND sideline in the 4th quarter.

I thought Lennon said the missed assignment was on one of the TD passes to Denney.

I thought Lennon said the missed assignment was on one of the TD passes to Denney.

I may have misunderstood him, but I thought he was talking about the 4th down conversion. I thought he originally said the missed assignment was on the 4th down conversion, and then said something about the touchdown, corrected himself, and mentioned the 4th down conversion again. I could very well have misunderstood him, however. In any event, I do think it was asking a lot of a 5'9" corner to be covering Denney all over the field by himself. For three quarters, Hoffschneider did a fantastic job. In retrospect, it may have been a good idea to have have had a safety or a nickel back double-covering him during the last couple of possessions, particularly on 3rd and 4th and long.

No. I was a little surprised that the issue wasn't brought up.

I believe he would have been complimentary to Manke and said we are lucky to have two fine quality QB's but Belmore will start and has had a good year and he would be comfortable playing either one and the team has confidence in both of them etc. That would have been the correct answer for the media but I wish one of media types would have asked the question and pushed for an answer. Dale is such a nice guy and still not smooth with the media so I don't think anyone wants to put him on the spot.

A previous poster stated it best, what does Manke have to do to get a shot? Good luck to Belmore, I think he will have a good day.

I still wish Dale would get Manke some quality time early in every game so he has no doubt what Manke will do for him when the game is on the line. Manke has never let him down. I think mussman is afraid that once Manke gets in, he will be hard to get back out!

I believe he would have been complimentary to Manke and said we are lucky to have two fine quality QB's but Belmore will start and has had a good year and he would be comfortable playing either one and the team has confidence in both of them etc. That would have been the correct answer for the media but I wish one of media types would have asked the question and pushed for an answer. Dale is such a nice guy and still not smooth with the media so I don't think anyone wants to put him on the spot.

A previous poster stated it best, what does Manke have to do to get a shot? Good luck to Belmore, I think he will have a good day.

I still wish Dale would get Manke some quality time early in every game so he has no doubt what Manke will do for him when the game is on the line. Manke has never let him down. I think mussman is afraid that once Manke gets in, he will be hard to get back out!

Not that I think we should be emulating Pat Behrns, but it must be pointed out that Brian Masek was yanked for several series last week, and he's a senior and a Harlon Hill candidate. If he can be pulled when he's struggling, and it obviously didn't faze him, I don't see what the harm would be to put in Manke if Belmore continues to struggle.

These are Belmore's numbers for the past two games:

36 of 63 for 354 yards, with 2 td's, 6 int's, and 1 lost fumble. I believe there have also been some other fumbles which were recovered by UND. I realize not all of the int's were his fault, but the td-to-int ratio is very alarming nonetheless.

Not that I think we should be emulating Pat Behrns, but it must be pointed out that Brian Masek was yanked for several series last week, and he's a senior and a Harlon Hill candidate. If he can be pulled when he's struggling, and it obviously didn't faze him, I don't see what the harm would be to put in Manke if Belmore continues to struggle.

36 of 63 for 354 yards, with 2 td's, 6 int's, and 1 lost fumble. I believe there have also been some other fumbles which were recovered by UND. I realize not all of the int's were his fault, but the td-to-int ratio is very alarming nonetheless.

He lost 1 fumble last game, but was involved in 2 others (not that all the blame should fall on him) One was a fumbled exchange between QB/C and the other was a fumbled handoff between QB/RB.

I agree. Belmore has had trouble hanging on to the ball this year, most of his fumbles recovered by UND. It goes back to getting your number two guy quality playing time in the first half. This late in the year Dale probably needs to show confidence in Belmore, but I agree he needs to get Manke in early if Belmore is not playing well. He should have done it earlier this year and last year too but didn't so I am not very confident he will make the change. I still think Belmore has been much better this year, thatn he was last year. Manke's numbers have been better and he outplayed Chris in both spring games but on paper he isn't as tall and isn't as fast. All he does is win, but you can't win from the bench. The other thing (BinCity mentioned a long time ago) was he is a hell of a holder. There have been a few bad snaps this year that he manged to catch and get down. I believe Jeff Glas would echo that.

what would all you guys have to talk about if it was a 1 point win?.......unbelievable

Frankly, I think we'd still be talking about how five turnovers in one game is pretty bad. I don't think anybody thinks that the ship is sinking, but clearly that was a crushing loss in terms of the way it happened and the ramifications of likely now having to win on the road at least once and perhaps twice in order to get to Florence. Losing is something that happens to nearly every team at some point during a season, but you kind of hate to just give the game away, which is essentially what happened last week.