SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs Wisconsin Hockey Rivalry.

nebraska_sioux

How do you think this rivalry compares to the Minnesota rivalry, because I remember when we had an all out brawl with Wisconsin in the 80's and theres always fights in this bitter rivalry too. Personally I hate Wisconsin more than Minnesota maybe it's because I like all Minnesota sports teams except gopher hockey and I dont like anything about Wisconsin.

I came in to UND right after the big games with Bucky in the early 1980's. Didn't really know anything about them until much later. While I knew Bucky was a big rival, it hasn't had the same emotional impact for me MN has. And now Denver is #2, IMO.

I would imagine fans who've been around longer would have a different opinion. It seems like Bucky just hasn't been that good consistently for such a long time. It's hard to have a rival that isn't that competitive.

Wisconsin is my #2 most hated rival. Mostly because they are a bastion of morality that refuses to play schools with Native American nicknames..........unless it is a conference game, or a post-season game and they stand a chance of losing some $$, that is. I like to think that their policy stems mostly from experiencing shallackings at the hands of said institutions.

How do you think this rivalry compares to the Minnesota rivalry, because I remember when we had an all out brawl with Wisconsin in the 80's and theres always fights in this bitter rivalry too. Personally I hate Wisconsin more than Minnesota maybe it's because I like all Minnesota sports teams except gopher hockey and I dont like anything about Wisconsin.

Never really understood this intense disliking of the Badgers. It's been over 20 years since the Sioux had any consistently meaningful games with them & fans still carry on like they're evil incarnate. But I suppose it's human nature for avid sports fans from a particular school to focus on a team as "The Bad Guys". Subtract the Gophers & Badgers from our conference & it wouldn't be long before a new "hated" team was chosen. Tis to be expected in a dimension of dualities. I prefer to think of them as just another above-average team that makes us earn any points we may take from them.

Wisconsin is my #2 most hated rival. Mostly because they are a bastion of morality that refuses to play schools with Native American nicknames..........unless it is a conference game, or a post-season game and they stand a chance of losing some $$, that is. I like to think that their policy stems mostly from experiencing shallackings at the hands of said institutions.

Don't really agree with that point. To refresh your memory, we live in a PC nation & institutions of higher learning are especially vulnerable to this cultural disease. Schools will usually fall in line with others to show just how Soviet they are. That's the nature of PC, it's a Groupthink mentality that starts with the elites, trickles down to the institutions, is spread non-stop by the media & through public schools, is fostered by large corporations & eventually molds the way individuals think. It's hard to escape it when it's drilled into our heads from the cradle to the grave.

And then people act surprised that their school nickname is being challenged: PC has been around for the last 30+ years, is gaining steam & it'll only stop when society as a whole says it won't tolerate these mental restraints any longer. A few thousand concerned administrators & students from UND may be able to save its nickname & logo, but it won't kill the larger beast that is PC. In case anyone didn't know, PC was instituted in the former Soviet Union in the 1920's under Lenin as a way to control his people, to minimize the number of potential free-thinkers. When that didn't work, it was a one-way ticket to the gulags. Now it's here.

And then people act surprised that their school nickname is being challenged: PC has been around for the last 30+ years, is gaining steam & it'll only stop when society as a whole says it won't tolerate these mental restraints any longer. A few thousand concerned administrators & students from UND may be able to save its nickname & logo, but it won't kill the larger beast that is PC. In case anyone didn't know, PC was instituted in the former Soviet Union in the 1920's under Lenin as a way to control his people, to minimize the number of potential free-thinkers. When that didn't work, it was a one-way ticket to the gulags. Now it's here.

Well that should explain it then. Left and Lennin.

My personal most hated rivals: 1) Minnesota Gophers

2) Denver Pioneers

3) Wisconson Badgers

The Gophers have been and always will be my most hated rival...the Pioneers have moved into second considering the huge games we've played against them in recent years...when I went to UND in the early 80's the rivalry with the Badgers was great but still not equal to the Gophers.

My personal most hated rivals: 1) Minnesota Gophers

2) Denver Pioneers

3) Wisconson Badgers

The Gophers have been and always will be my most hated rival...the Pioneers have moved into second considering the huge games we've played against them in recent years...when I went to UND in the early 80's the rivalry with the Badgers was great but still not equal to the Gophers.

I agree but I believe that Wisconsins drop from the Sioux fan radar over the past several years is only temporary at best. We may get to rekindle the old feelings by the end of this season.

I don't have a hatred for the Badgers like I do the Goofs. For me, it comes down to the fans of each of those teams. Although I've only met a tiny percentages of all their fans, I can honestly say that I like the Wisconson fans I've met. I've met a number of them dating back to the good ol' days at the Westward Ho after a hard fought game, and even in Milwaukee for the '97 Championship. They were just great people. I remember the Badger fans that came out in support of the Sioux in '97...it was awesome!!

On the other hand, the arrogance of Goof fans rubs me the wrong way. What probably put the icing on the cake, was when the Sioux played Ferris State at the X, and all the Goofie fans were cheering against the Sioux. ???

On the other hand, the arrogance of Goof fans rubs me the wrong way. What probably put the icing on the cake, was when the Sioux played Ferris State at the X, and all the Goofie fans were cheering against the Sioux. ???

You guys will hate UW plenty (again) if they ever beat you all in a big game. They really have been silent in the playoffs for quite a while now and I've truly enjoyed it.

Let's put the Gophers against Maine, UNH, or really anyone but NDSU @ the Ralph this spring in the NCAAs. Do you really think there won't be huge applause if the Gophers get beat? Your not going to get much love in your rivals rink, ever. The Sioux fans in Section Two that day were far louder than the 1500 Gophers fans that arrived early and cheered the Ferris goals. They just didn't get to cheer as often.

I think I hate UW enough for all of you, so kill 'em this weekend.

I think I hate UW enough for all of you, so kill 'em this weekend.
???

You make a good point about winning/losing meaningful games. Certainly that has happened with Denver over the last couple of years. Certainly the Paukovich/Bina situation was like poring aviation fuel on a flame, but the rivalry was building nonetheless.

I know for me, I've considered MN the far and away biggest rival since I was in school. HOWEVER, at the end of Woog's reign, and the team wasn't all that good, and the Sioux were pretty much dominant, it was great to beat the gophers, but not like when the gophers are really good. I almost wanted the gophers to get better so the intensity of the rivalry would ratchet up. That they did, and it did.

The Wisconsin rivalry was much larger in the 80's when the Sioux and Badgers were consistently good and competing for national championships. It may have lost some of its intensity in recent years because the Badgers have not been as dominant, or even as competitive, as they were in the 80's or 90's. However, Wisconsin has always played the Sioux tough, even when they were down. Remember the 2 OT losses in Blais' first year as coach when Toby Kvalevog gave up the dump in with no time left in the 2nd OT? ???

In some ways, I dislike Wisconsin more than any other school because of their fans. I actually moved my season tickets from the visitor end of the rink at the old Ralph because of the drunk and obnoxious Wisconsin fans every year. It got to be too much to take when they cheered when Sioux goaltender Corey Cadden got hurt, and then a few started picking fights when Sioux fans asked them to show some class. I had a similar experience at the Target Center a few years ago when drunken Wisconsin fans spilled their beers, creating a river under my feet. I don't have any problem with drinking at the game, as long as you don't spill it all over or around me, or start shouting obscenities or cheer for injuries. I personally think Wisconsin fans can be the most fun, but are also the most obnoxious. Go sit by them during a game and you will see what I mean.

On the other hand, Wisconsin fans generally cheer for other WCHA schools in the NCAA tournament, which I have always respected.

The bottom line is that it is a great rivalry, probably on par or just below the rivalry with the Gophers. As much as I dislike both, I respect both programs and it is great that Wisconsin and Minnesota are very competitive because it makes for the best rivalries in college hockey. It is a lot more fun when you beat a very good Gopher or Badger team. It makes it all the more fun and satisfying when you win! :0

I don't have a hatred for the Badgers like I do the Goofs. For me, it comes down to the fans of each of those teams. Although I've only met a tiny percentages of all their fans, I can honestly say that I like the Wisconson fans I've met. I've met a number of them dating back to the good ol' days at the Westward Ho after a hard fought game, and even in Milwaukee for the '97 Championship. They were just great people. I remember the Badger fans that came out in support of the Sioux in '97...it was awesome!!

In some ways, I dislike Wisconsin more than any other school because of their fans. I actually moved my season tickets from the visitor end of the rink at the old Ralph because of the drunk and obnoxious Wisconsin fans every year. It got to be too much to take when they cheered when Sioux goaltender Corey Cadden got hurt, and then a few started picking fights when Sioux fans asked them to show some class. I had a similar experience at the Target Center a few years ago when drunken Wisconsin fans spilled their beers, creating a river under my feet. I don't have any problem with drinking at the game, as long as you don't spill it all over or around me, or start shouting obscenities or cheer for injuries. I personally think Wisconsin fans can be the most fun, but are also the most obnoxious. Go sit by them during a game and you will see what I mean.

On the other hand, Wisconsin fans generally cheer for other WCHA schools in the NCAA tournament, which I have always respected.

Hello, are we talking about the same school here?

When I was in college, my close friend went to Wisconsin and I went to Illinois. The years I had a car, I went up to the UMD-Badgers series. I sat right above the student section, and really, I've never seen so many people who know so little about hockey pretending that they know things about hockey. And they were TOTAL jerks to me, even last year when I was relatively quiet because we sucked and I didn't expect to win.

Who was it on this board who said they don't like Wisconsin hockey fans because they like anything related to Wisconsin, not because they are hockey fans? Because they were right.

Let's put the Gophers against Maine, UNH, or really anyone but NDSU @ the Ralph this spring in the NCAAs. Do you really think there won't be huge applause if the Gophers get beat?

Based on early season performance to date, perhaps you are putting the cart before the horse here Sagard. Maybe after some better efforts by the boys in the brown and yellow than those that have been displayed so far you can begin fantasizing about seeing the Gophers at The Ralph come end of March.

There have been huge flops by teams in sport ever since the dawn of sport. Unless Lucia starts having the boys working on some passing drills, and grinding in the corners, it could be a long long season and a really short post season for your boys.

Of course, it is way too early to speculate about most anything. Of course the majority of a Ralph crowd will cheer mightily against the Gophers. In my opinion, there is really little to nothing to like about them, their attitudes, or their program.

Based on early season performance to date, perhaps you are putting the cart before the horse here Sagard. Maybe after some better efforts by the boys in the brown and yellow than those that have been displayed so far you can begin fantasizing about seeing the Gophers at The Ralph come end of March.

There have been huge flops by teams in sport ever since the dawn of sport. Unless Lucia starts having the boys working on some passing drills, and grinding in the corners, it could be a long long season and a really short post season for your boys.

Of course, it is way too early to speculate about most anything. Of course the majority of a Ralph crowd will cheer mightily against the Gophers. In my opinion, there is really little to nothing to like about them, their attitudes, or their program.

Uh, I thought this thread was about Wisconsin. I have had a general hatred of UW since they beat the Gophers in the Championship at the DECC in 81. The worst weekend of my life: the Gophers lose in the final as heavy favorites, my dad gives me "the sex talk"(I was in 7th grade), and a drunk Wisco fan pours his beer over my head at the buzzer.

I have been back to the DECC twice since then, both times my high school hockey team lost in the section final. I am going back this weekend to try to exorcise those demons, it might get ugly for the Gophs. Regardless, I have watched multiple times Wisconsin fans cheering against the Gophers in the final five and at NCAA tournaments. While I can cheer for any WCHA team, and I do (including the Sioux), I could never cheer for Wisconsin. So this weekend I say: GO SIOUX!

On the other hand, the arrogance of Goof fans rubs me the wrong way. What probably put the icing on the cake, was when the Sioux played Ferris State at the X, and all the Goofie fans were cheering against the Sioux. :silly:

The game was not at the X, it was at Mariucci. ALL the fans were not cheering for Ferris State, because I was there with my Gopher Jersey on pulling for the Sioux. Other than that your statement is close to accurate.

The game was not at the X, it was at Mariucci. ALL the fans were not cheering for Ferris State, because I was there with my Gopher Jersey on pulling for the Sioux. Other than that your statement is close to accurate.

Actually, I somewhat agree. I was there too. Most of the fans were cheering against the Sioux (when a goal against them was scored), you were the minority.

It's ok though, don't make excuses for other fans. We can cheer against each other that's ok. The only problem I have with that 5-2 loss is that Ferris sucked, we lost, the Sioux section was taunted by a couple of goons five rows up from the glass that can't count, and we were approached and villified several times in the concourse.

Other than that, it was at the M, you were cheering for the Sioux, and I'm sure some of the same will happen to uMN should they be placed at the REA come March.

Please help me out here, I'm old, I was young then and probably snockered, hence the poor memory.

It was in the '80s, a play off game at the old Ralph. The Sioux were ahead by 2 (3?) with seconds left in the third period. The Sioux lost the game to the Badgers. AAArrrgh!!!! :D:silly:

Hello, are we talking about the same school here?

When I was in college, my close friend went to Wisconsin and I went to Illinois. The years I had a car, I went up to the UMD-Badgers series. I sat right above the student section, and really, I've never seen so many people who know so little about hockey pretending that they know things about hockey. And they were TOTAL jerks to me, even last year when I was relatively quiet because we sucked and I didn't expect to win.

Who was it on this board who said they don't like Wisconsin hockey fans because they like anything related to Wisconsin, not because they are hockey fans? Because they were right.

Couldn't agree with you more. Last year I was in Madison for UM/UW series and was taunted, got food tossed at me. Glad I'm 6'3", cause that helped when I stood up to tell him to f-ing stop. I was also talking to a guy wearing a UW jersey at the bar and asked who his favorite player was. He said #10, but didn't know his name was Robbie Earl.......geez. :silly:

I might not like the Sioux, but at least you guys know your hockey. I had great chats at the final 5 with Sioux fans last year. Too bad half of my final 5 group is Badger fans. That doesn't work well.

Please help me out here, I'm old, I was young then and probably snockered, hence the poor memory.

It was in the '80s, a play off game at the old Ralph. The Sioux were ahead by 2 (3?) with seconds left in the third period. The Sioux lost the game to the Badgers. AAArrrgh!!!! :D:silly:

i seem to remember the same game/series unless i am a couple of years off. i haven't had time to look it up...just going off of memory. if i remember it right, it was in the mid 1990's when Toby Kvalevog was playing in net. UND was hosting UW and TK let in two soft goals in the final seconds of both games. this was the beginning of UND getting back to playoff dominance as Blais began his tenure. again, this is just from memory. it is filed away next to many other Sioux memories. perhaps, though this isn't the series you are thinking of. hope this helps. i'll go back and check things out.

Couldn't agree with you more. Last year I was in Madison for UM/UW series and was taunted, got food tossed at me. Glad I'm 6'3", cause that helped when I stood up to tell him to f-ing stop. I was also talking to a guy wearing a UW jersey at the bar and asked who his favorite player was. He said #10, but didn't know his name was Robbie Earl.......geez. :silly:

I might not like the Sioux, but at least you guys know your hockey. I had great chats at the final 5 with Sioux fans last year. Too bad half of my final 5 group is Badger fans. That doesn't work well.

I met some really nice Badger fans at the final five. We were in line for food at a kiosk and I started to tease them. They took it really well. Their jerseys had the name "those guys" or something similar. They have been to all the final five games and people started referring to them as "those guys". Hockey, sports, would be no fun without great rivalries. All teams have jerks in their fan base. Unfortunately, they stand out more than the 'real' fans. Having said that, I will cheer for the Badgers before I would cheer for the Gophers (and I will cheer for the Pack before I will cheer for the Vikes). It wouldn't be a good hockey season if the Sioux didn't play either team. :D

I'm glad you're 6'3", too, but that didn't help me. I'm small. Of course, I didn't help things 2 years ago when I started yelling "Hobey F***ing Baker" every time Junior Lessard did anything (how clairvoyant of me!) But even when I'm quiet they treated me like I was stupid and didn't know anything about hockey. I knew we sucked last year, I didn't need it to be screamed in my face apropos of nothing. Of course, there is a BIG difference between Wisconsin FANS and Wisconsin STUDENT FANS. Sioux-cia, maybe you met some of the former.

Of course, there is a BIG difference between Wisconsin FANS and Wisconsin STUDENT FANS. Sioux-cia, maybe you met some of the former.

Yeah, they were a little old to be students and too cool to be faculty. Nice guys. I'm gonna look for them at next years Final Five; got my tickets and my room.

Oh and by the by, I was cheering for the Dogs in 2004. Didn't know any of their names so just kept yelling Go Dog Go, etc. My kid said I sounded like that guy on American Idol. :silly: