SiouxSports.com Forum

Game Thread

Siouxdonyms

J Par is definitely deserving. He's kept the Sioux in every game he's played. Everyone does their part, but he's been such a major factor.

Have a good night to all Sioux fans. Looking forward to reading everyone's perspective of the game in the morning.

Tomorrow night, Go Sioux!!

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's kind of nice to be able to flip over to FSN and watch the UM-TC vs SCSU game. It sucks that I already know the outcome of the game but atleast I know it is a good outcome. I wouldn't bother watching the last period and a half if I knew that Minney won.

Ok, I'm at a seminar all week with nothing to do in the evening. So, I made a nice little sign. It had little yellow chicks all over it and it said, 'CHEAP, CHEEP, PUNKOBITCH'. My seats are in section 113, not real visible, so I gave the sign to some students in section 109. Then, for not reason at all, the sign is confiscated by the cops!!! What the ef....? My son thinks it's because I offered the green wig I brought to the game for a friends 8 year old to a bald cop.

But, man o man, what a game!!!

The game was good, but sloppy.

We got to play physical which really suited us fine. However we took a TON of stupid penalties and we played, well, poorly on most of our power play opportunities. Way to squander 2 5 minute majors. 1 of the majors was a gift IMO.

Lee got away with a checking from behind call early in the first.

God CSTV sucks. Those pieholes were the biggest DU homers all night long. Chris Butler "the goal scorer" was amazing.

Did you know that DU was down 4 men at one point? In case you forgot, they mentioned it 400 times on CSTV. It reminded me of the Pat Sweeney or TH broadcast from CC where they were on olympic ice and having technical difficulties with the CC video feed. All night long 1500 references to the difficulties and the olympic ice. Though, to be fair, the CC game's announcements happened every 30 seconds or so, whereas the DU is down 4 players announcement came maybe every 2 minutes or so.

We split tonight. One of our squads lost to Wisconsin 3-2 and the other won 3-1 against DU. Ok, really, CSTV had a freshman intern do the screen and telepromter work. He is starting off slow, but by Christmas...

Shepherd officiates which means he missed maybe 10 interference calls against both sides. One call, which Oshie drew in the first period, would have put us up 2 men. Oh well.

JPar gets the dunce cap of the game for his interference penalty. With the too many men penalty, at least there is a miscommunication excuse. I don't think there is an excuse for JPar's penalty.

Running the goaltender. It was Cook today. Thought it would be Paukovitch. You can imagine my surprise. But yeah, you can't be JPar but maybe you can injure him and then get goals? I dunno.

Chris Porter checked a guy from behind right in front of us, no penalty. Did you hear the status on the injuried DU player? He left blood on the ice. That one happened in front of us but because it was in front of us, other than the big hit we couldn't see if he got stabbed with a skate or ..... ?

The injury was just above the right skate.

Chris Porter checked a guy from behind right in front of us, no penalty. Did you hear the status on the injuried DU player? He left blood on the ice. That one happened in front of us but because it was in front of us, other than the big hit we couldn't see if he got stabbed with a skate or ..... ?

Severe leg laceration above the ankle. Puck Swami on USCHO said that it isn't season ending but he'll be gone for a while. The player was Freshman Brock Trotter, a forward from Brandon, Manitoba.

Oh, to make matters worse: This happened in front of his parents, who came to the Ralph to watch their son play.

:)

It was a great hit and everyone cheered per usual. No one on the ice, other than JPar, realized he was injured for what seemed like a long time, several seconds. Everyone, including the Sioux players, clapped when he was taken off the ice on the stretcher. I hope his parents don't think the initial cheer was because he was hurt. It was a good clean hit. Unfortunate. :)

Any idea who'll start in the net tomorrow night?

He did such a great job tonight, my money is on Jordy.

sioux cia, why is the ebay listing for the bumper stickers stopped??

I think the time limit is up. I've been at a seminar this week and haven't kept up with it. I don't know if I should relist it or not. Didn't sell any. I was thinking about putting ads in the student papers of all the schools on the list of shame but trying to find a contact on line has taken a lot of time. I work from around 6:30A to after 5P Monday thru Friday and haven't found time to call them. I may just have to go to Columbia Mall and start sticking them on cars. :)

Watched the game on tv. No sound. But from what I saw the first period might have been the best period of Sioux hockey I've ever seen, or have seen in a long time. The team was flying and playing aggressive. I've NEVER seen the transition game work so smoothly or quickly.

First game I've watched this year. I see what everyone is talking about with Oshie. What an impressive player. Effort second to none. I think he's tied with Toews as our best freshman forward, but Toews appears more skilled. Oshie makes up for it in tenacity. If he stays long enough he could be a Sioux legend.

D didn't look out of place, IMO. Smaby looked awesome. Lee is SO smooth. He's got some silky moves.

Toews appeared to score that goal without looking. I think he sold pass, and stole goal. Toews can really handle the puck in tight spaces.

Kozek was flying around but fairly quiet. Great to see Radke get a goal.

Good game. Glad I got to see it. Will be a while till I can see another one.

Watched the game on tv. No sound. But from what I saw the first period might have been the best period of Sioux hockey I've ever seen, or have seen in a long time. The team was flying and playing aggressive. I've NEVER seen the transition game work so smoothly or quickly.

First game I've watched this year. I see what everyone is talking about with Oshie. What an impressive player. Effort second to none. I think he's tied with Toews as our best freshman forward, but Toews appears more skilled. Oshie makes up for it in tenacity. If he stays long enough he could be a Sioux legend.

D didn't look out of place, IMO. Smaby looked awesome. Lee is SO smooth. He's got some silky moves.

Toews appeared to score that goal without looking. I think he sold pass, and stole goal. Toews can really handle the puck in tight spaces.

Kozek was flying around but fairly quiet. Great to see Radke get a goal.

Good game. Glad I got to see it. Will be a while till I can see another one.

My first chance to see the Sioux and all the freshman in person tonight. Impressive group of freshman.

;)

Lee looked like a veteran on defense. The defense kept its cool and was really sweeping the puck away from the front of the net most of the time before Denver could get another chance. A few mishandles on pucks during the game, but I think they were notable mostly because I was used to seeing none of that by the end of last year. Toews goal was an incredible wrist shot. Quick shot, pinpoint, and hard. Impressive. Oshie must really be solid, because he made his presence known and has no fear. And all night long when the opportunities were there, the Sioux were crashing the net, including the D. There were a couple of times that I thought the D played too cautious and could have stepped up to grab loose pucks, but that should come. JPar, what can you say? He looks so quick, so confident, and is solid. The only goal Denver got JPar was screened by his own player.

Stafford and Zajac were, well, Stafford and Zajac. Porter appears to really have stepped up his game. And it was great to see Prpich get under the Denver skin, and then just stand there and laugh, ignoring the chance to take a cheap shot.

The team had a flat second period, as they have other games. Need to fix that, and be more consistent.

Took too many penalties that nullified power plays, but I don't think as many of those as previous games.

UND-UNO football game tomorrow afternoon, followed by hockey tomorrow night. What a weekend. :)

Observations from section 112:

(With apologies to Dickens) It was the best of times, and the worst of times.

I witnessed the best period of hockey I've seen in a long, long time tonight; and I saw one of the worst. The Sioux were absolutely on fire in the first, and without a big performance by Glenn Fisher in DU's goal (and a post and a couple missed open nets) the score could've easily been 5-love after 20 minutes. Someone said it before, but the Sioux transition game was in road gear: I don't think they missed a breakout pass the entire period.

The usual cast of characters was pretty impressive: Smaby has turned into a very confident Dman, and a real leader on the ice. I remember cringing early last year when he was handling the puck, but now he's simply a rock out there. Brian Lee and Taylor Chorney both are so very strong; Lee is much flashier with the puck (although he boneheaded one in the second that probably could've resulted in a DU goal, but hustled back to break up the play with a poke check). Chorney is a lot better player than I'd expected. Both he and Lee played very good games tonight. And I can't neglect Radke: great goal on what I recall as a rebound off Chris Porter's shot. He put a rocket passed Fisher.

Zajac has broken out of his "slump" admirably. He and Stafford and Duncan skated well tonight, really moving the puck well. I watched the second from a suite, and listened to a first-time game watcher talk about how well that line plays. The guy said it was easy to see they've played together for so long !!! :) (What's it been? Two weeks now!) They should've gotten a goal just on principle for one sequence: the three of them hit tape-to-tape-to-tape passes in the length of maybe ten feet in the slot. It's really too bad they didn't twine it 'cause it would've made a heckuva highlight reel.

Chris Porter looks like he's having a ball skating with Oshie and Towes. The freshman have brought out Porter's best. That line could've scored a couple of goals tonight had they not had a puck bounce over a stick. I think Towes hit a post, and the line put a couple shots over the net trying to go shelf on Fisher. Both times they had the keeper beat.

I didn't see Fabian's injury happen, but he barely made it back to the bench. I'm ashamed to admit I don't know if he came back on the ice. He was visibly hurting. And Brian Lee got his "welcome to the WCHA"; he just about had his head taken off; his helmut barely stayed on. But he got right up and got back in the play.

JPar was huge when he had to be. He made some good solid saves, especially in the second when the Sioux were really out of sorts. In both the first and third DU had pretty good movement deep in the zone, and some screens setting up nicely, but Jordan hung with it and came up with some nice pad saves on low shots through traffic. He showboated a couple of times: a big glove save in the second would've been a foot wide, and the "jump save" he made in the third could've been ugly if he hadn't caught it in the webbing of his glove. That puck could've just as easily deflected down off the glove into the crease, or he could've stuck it in his own net bringing it down the way he did. And his penalty in the second is among the dumbest things he's done since he came to Grand Forks. It was so obvious when he stuck his leg out. I'm sort of surprised he didn't hurt himself. JPar had no chance on Denver's goal: it was a beautiful screen and a whale of a shot by Butler on a nice pass from (dare I say it?) Punkovich.

Watkins, Foyt and Kozek were sort of invisible to me tonight. I honestly don't remember seeing them on the ice but a couple of times.

The Red Pepper Line of Prpich, Kaip and Fabian worked their grinding role nearly to perfection. I hope Fabian is okay 'cause that line plays a vital role.

I am really surprised that Denver resorted to the clutch and grab game. They have some pretty fast skaters who are good with the puck. They shut down the Sioux in the second, and I am frankly surprised (happily) that the hometown boys didn't let the Pios back in the game. The Sioux definitely lost their cool in the second, took some stupid penalties, and maybe are lucky Denver didn't get another goal. 3-2 going into the third might have made this a whole lot different game than it ended up being.

The Trotter incident happend just to my left. It was a big check, but clean in my estimation. Trotter got up and his right leg just collapsed under him. He hollered to JPar for help; I think Jordan was signalling for a whistle and a trainer a long time before the refs finally stopped the play. I see several people are saying a laceration. I saw bone folks, and his foot was not where it is supposed to be. If that kid didn't break his tibia, he sure as heck messed up his leg. He was in a lot of pain, and understandibly shook up.

I think DShepherd actually kept his calls pretty even, although he didn't do a very good job of officiating (if that makes any sense). A couple calls were pretty ticky-tack and he did let some obvious penalties slide. Brian Lee should send him a thank you card for ignoring his checking from behind about a minute into the game. I'd say the game was about one big hit from turning ugly at a couple different points.

As beautifully as the Sioux played the first period, they could've won this thing 5 or 6-1. As ugly and stupid as they played the second, they could've lost 4-3.

This was a huge win for both the upperclassmen (a little revenge for the last two years) and the freshmen (proves to themselves they can play in the WCHA). I hope they are not too pleased with the win, though, because Denver is going to come out Saturday with a little extra body on the checks. That's the reigning national champs there folks, and other than about 12 or 13 minutes of the second period, they were really outplayed by a very young team.

They should've gotten a goal just on principle for one sequence: the three of them hit tape-to-tape-to-tape passes in the length of maybe ten feet in the slot. It's really too bad they didn't twine it 'cause it would've made a heckuva highlight reel.

I wasn't there, just watching on TV, but wasn't the guy that took the shot in this sequence Watkins?

Was this when Zajac dropped a pass to Stafford, who sent a pass to the goal-mouth, where the [shooter] was stopped on a great anticipation save by Fischer? Sweeney and Bredahl said it was Watkins.

If that wasn't the play you were meaning, it was another beauty.

What's with the faceoffs? Couldn't win one at UNH and won about 85% last night. Is UNH that good or Denver that bad?

Denver D didn't handle the Sioux forecheck well at all. For all their offensive firepower they are not strong in the defensive end. They also resorted to tackling when pressured. Need to put the pressure on again tonight.

They also ran an obvious interference early in the game, Sioux ringed the puck around the boards, a Sioux forward, I think (may have been a D), was waiting inside the blue line to take the puck, Denver forward kicked his feet out from under him from behind, took the puck, and started an oddman rush the other way. A Denver specialty, and they never ever get called for it.

What an awesome forecheck by Porter, Oshie, and Toews. They were all over Denver on every full strength shift. Oshie looks like he's played at this level for a couple years. Lee and Chorney the same. Toews was looking at Chorney coming to the net when he roofed that shot - a no look goal. Unbelievably skilled. This freshman class may challenge the '82 version as the best ever.

Thought both majors were warranted after watching the replays. Players need to realize that when Shep puts one team on the PP he'll make some very weak calls on the PP team. Can't do the weanie hooks when you're on the PP. The 5 minute majors virtually destroyed the Sioux flow. They didn't get it back until play went back to 5 on 5 in the third period.

I wasn't there, just watching on TV, but wasn't the guy that took the shot in this sequence Watkins?

Was this when Zajac dropped a pass to Stafford, who sent a pass to the goal-mouth, where the [shooter] was stopped on a great anticipation save by Fischer? Sweeney and Bredahl said it was Watkins.

That had to be it, and it was Watkins. Couldn't believe that wasn't in the net. Save of the night by Fisher. Watkins had time to chip it up and over the pad, but had to think he had a wide open tap-in. Bet he won't make that mistake next time.

Yes...

First and foremost, Best wishes for a speedy recovery to the DU player Trotter. I watched that hit 30 times and it was clean but very hard. Really a great play be Smaby. The stick came up, but that was a result of the contact and only 1 hand was on the stick. Still I hate to see a clean player get hurt. Read not Paukovich.

Statsny's penalty was vicious and I'm glad he got tossed. That was Paukovich's play all over again, with out the results. I'm glad that Shepard didn't hesitate to call that. Clearly there is a DU trend. :) There were other questionable hits both sides (Lee) but nothing like that. I thought that the officiating was good. The 5 min. for running Parise was a bad call as was the 2 min on Finley for roughing (DU player was holding him down after getting crushed, maybe should have been 2 min both ways).

Great hitting by the Sioux I saw outstanding hits from Smaby, Finley, and Prpich. Smaby and Finley hits were some of the best Sioux hits I have ever seen.

How did Watkin's miss the goal on passes from Zajac and Stafford? The Sioux were buzzing, but lost their intensity, hope they find it again tonight.

Don't feel too sorry for me. Let's see, deer hunting, pheasant hunting..........

Careful. I hear a lot of 'sotas and 'sconnie's take sound shots in the woods. Over here it's ground balling roosters out the window of the suburban. A fine bunch of hunters they are.

From watching across Senser's on the TV it is sometimes difficult to tell who is who, but it appeared to me that Duncan and Watkins were alternating as wingers with Stafford and Zajac in the 3rd period. Anyone else notice this?

I noticed Kozek and Watkins a LOT more in the 3rd period. I'm not sure I saw much of that line earlier in the game. One thing I'd like to see this early in the season is more even rolling of lines to get everyone a lot of time. Maybe it happened and I just didn't notice it.

It was disappointing to see the MO change so much in the 2nd period. I don't know if Denver stepped up its game or the Sioux stepped down. But it was a big change.

I agree, Sprig. Denver was doing some tackling out there and I was surprised some more penalties were not called. That said, I think the Sioux got away with some home cooking as well, so I won't complain too much. I just hope the Sioux will take their man advantage tonite and keep it, rather than negate it so often. I think Oshie took down a Denver player in the offensive zone in one such instance last night.

How did it take the officials SO long to call the Sioux for 6 men on the ice? Denver's bench must have been going nuts. I wonder if Duncan missed the bunt sign and came out of the box when he should have ridden the pine until a stoppage.

Careful. I hear a lot of 'sotas and 'sconnie's take sound shots in the woods. Over here it's ground balling roosters out the window of the suburban. A fine bunch of hunters they are.

Fortunately we're not to crowded where we deer hunt, and it's pretty much our party. So not too much to worry about. Never understood that kind of thing. Never understood the guys who have to get something "at all costs". Takes the experience out of the experience. It's so much cooler to see a rooster rise and cackle, even if you don't get it. I could tell stories..... :)

mikejm, I think I posted elsewhere that from Trotter's reaction I first thought an artery had been cut and I got very very scared for him. Then later it appeared that maybe a broken bone. Thinking that, when watching replays it appeared to me that his leg bent right where Smaby's blade caught it, as Trotters leg hit the boards. Then later it's said it was just a slice. I hope that's the case, but I won't be surprised based on what you say and what I thought I saw on replays if we find out more later.

I was thinking, as he lay on the ice, that this was NOT what this rivalry needed right now. Later when I saw replays it does appear to have been a legal check, just very very hard. And it appears that Denver fans are not viewing it the wrong way. That's good.