SiouxSports.com Forum

The Pioneers

NorthDakotaHockey

May as well start this one now. D.U. coming to town. I hate 'em, let me count the reasons why . . . .

No. I will save that for later. What is so ironic, and what makes college hockey such a great game, is that but for a few bounces of the puck, and a few penalty calls, and non-calls, the Sioux, not P.U., would be sitting on b2b's.

March. 2004. Sioux with the best team in college hockey. Little question there. The World Arena. Colorado Springs. The Tigers had aced themselves out of hosting the West Regional with their poor play down the stretch. This brings Denver to the West. Ticket sales. Sioux beat Holy Cross and a puking goalie. Denver manages to escape Miami (Ohio). Next night, Bochenski rings the pipe twenty seconds in, the Sioux dominate play, and Denver rags in a third period goal to go to Boston, 1-0. Absolutely heartbreaking. Thank God that there was the Sertich Arena in town for us to skate with our jerseys the next afternoon to ease the pain. Even if I cannot skate very well. Colorado Springs fans hate Denver. For obvious and really good reason. The two programs are worlds apart in terms of the class that they bring as ambassadors to the sport.

March. 2005. Paukovich and his cheap shot. Sioux lose to P.U. in OT at the Final Five. A meaningless OT period. Little did we know then that we would have a rematch in Columbus a few short weeks later. There, in Columbus, a great time was had by all Sioux fans, players, and family. So what that it ended in a really tough loss in another game in which the Sioux took it to the Pioneers. Took it to the Pioneers hard. Absolutely heartbreaking.

This said, it cannot be reasonably debated that this weekend is but just another opening series in just another season of WCHA wars. They have been going on for fifty years or more.

This said, this year, we are playing the Pioneers. The Sioux, and their fans, will be pumped. We cannot wait. We are chomping at the bit. I can hardly imagine how the players feel, at least those who remain from the two years past.

Who are they? Smaby. Stafford. JPar. Foyt. Prpich. Marvin. Fabian. Porter. Bina. This probably about covers it.

These guys have got to be about spitting nails right now. The coaching staff really has its work cut out this week, keeping these guys - class acts all - in the reins, while teaching the younguns all about history. About tradition. About winning at home and splitting on the road. About what it will take from them for them to successfully ride the wild and uncertain waves of the WCHA.

Here's hoping that all of the absolute idiots at The Ralph who think that The Ralph is but a place to go and see and to go and be seen will get a clue, or will at least do me the favor of staying home and giving their ducats to people who will raise the roof.

#%*@ da Pioneers. If the freshman bring their game, it's gonna be a great and memorable weekend.

Sioux take four, in a big way. Prpich will probably clean Paukovich's clock in the process. Nobody will see it, because it will be over at the Moon, or somewhere down by the river.

prpich will be very noticeable this weekend and finley and smaby use the 6'5 and 6'7 sizes to our advantage in a nice way of course...hope prpich takes another swig from the du goalie's waterbottle ;) i have also lost any good feelings that i use to have towards denver and i believe its turned into a good rival for them being out in colorado.14 national championships combined between the 2 teams, not to bad..we have met 4 times in the NC$$ title game winning 1 of those in 1963..

the ralph needs to be rockin...DIGGLER (i know you will do your part)....and zajac breaks out with some points this weekend..wish i could be there!!! we sweep, did you think i would predict anything else ;) i believe they have a 5 game win streak over us going back to march 27th 2004 when we outshot them of course 33-17 if anyone needs to be reminded in the ncaa regional final. this streak will end in 5 days....

tn_sioux091.jpgfront_pre_sz125_qt80.jpg

Prpich would get his axx handed to him if he tried to take on Paukovich. Let's leave revenge to the scoreboard and Denny Green's high road.

NDH, I hope you are right and the upperclassmen are prepping the rookies on what a big weekend this is. Not only is it Denver, a budding rivalry, but the WCHA opener, conference points, and all that encompasses.

I like guys with Oshie's work ethic. That's the kind of player that can really spark the team in a tough series. I think I read that Denver has beaten the Fighting Sioux in 3 of 4 national championships, and in something like 5 straight games.

It's time for the worm to turn.

Remember the no call (interference at our blue line) last spring at the Ralph and they scored.

I like rembering how we pumped them during the regular season 2003-04. In their building it was like 8- 2 and 6-2. And then we beat them at home 6-2 once that same year.

I still think that hurt us for that regional game in the Springs.

This is looking like a good time to play them because it sound like that were out played badly in Maine and they were outshot both games last weekend against lower level teams.

BRING THEM ON

Finley could become a UND legend in one night.

Also it is hall of fame weekend with lots of alumni in town. its going to be a great weekend.

Smaby was absolutely destroying folks during the Northeastern series.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He also had some very good hits against UNH.

Keep in mind that the NCAA is cracking down on certain types of hits, especially hits to the head. I'm guessing that this makes a big defenseman think twice about hitting smaller players.

Students: Please make sure you have way better signs then the lame ones that UNH had.

"Home of the Fighting Censored."

"You can't sue."

uh...what.

Wow, way to really stick it to us.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh, those were sad by the UNH fans. Got a good laugh from the wanted poster. ;)

UND is playing good right now. Will take 3-4 points from Denver this weekend.

He also had some very good hits against UNH.

Keep in mind that the NCAA is cracking down on certain types of hits, especially hits to the head. I'm guessing that this makes a big defenseman think twice about hitting smaller players.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And in the case of Finley, that would be, um... everyone but John Scott.

I really want to see him put the hurt on some people, though.