SiouxSports.com Forum

UND in D-IAA

knowledge

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't care what NDSU does in D-1AA and for the most part the nation could care less. D-1AA is not a very big step up from D-2. NDSU was maybe the 10th to 15th best team in D-2 from 1993 to 2003. If they can move up to D-1AA and be competitive within their first couple of years, then so could a lot of other D-2 teams. It's not like they were an elite D-2 program prior to making the jump. 15 to 20 years ago they were an elite D-2 program, but in recent years just prior to making the jump they were nothing more than a borderline playoff team. When UND beats West Chester 41-7 and then Delaware only beats them 42-21, that tells you everything you need to know. The top teams in D-2 are every bit as good as the top teams in D-1AA. To suggest otherwise is just ignorant. As for the teams on NDSU's '05 schedule... UND and UNO would beat most of them convincingly.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

NDSU was 10th? I don't know about that since the D2 regions weren't exatly even. NDSU played in what was easily the hardest region in the country for most of that period and that had alot to do with where they were ranked. And if D2 is so close to IAA then explain why top 10 Carson Newman was destroyed by NDSU last year. And the team NDSU plays this week lost 15-10 to Ok St explain to me how UNO or UND would crush them. The top 10 D2 are no where near the top 10 in IAA. I think halstrom had UND's IAA ranking right in saying they would be about 34.

So are you saying that the 8 D-2 National Championships NDSU won in football(what the Bison have hung their hats on for the past three decades), that nobody, including the nation, cares. I assume they took down the D2 title banners in the FargoDome because it is too embarassing that you guys played D2 football at one time. Also, you guys really need to go back to the classic football uniforms, thoughs new one are aweful.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Those titles where won in a different era of D2 football, most of the powerhouses of those days have moved on to greener pastures. D2 is shell of it's former self. I agree about the uniforms, it's time to bring the classic ones back.

Ohhh!! I get it now.. you really are an idiot! If you really think that Bohl is one of the best coaches in the land u are possibly one of the dumbest people of all time! I have absolutely no doubt that 10 out of 10 neutral sports analysts would tell you that just up the road 70miles there is a coach that is so far above the level of Bohl it is an insult to even put the 2 in the same sentence with each other.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I didn't mean the land I meant Bohl was probably a better coach then any D2 coach UND would face. Bohl could be in a number of major DIA coaching staffs. Lennon is a great coach but it would be interesting to see how he fairs in IAA(I think he would do well though). But I think Bohl has earned some respect and I don't really know how you couldn't say he is on Lennon's level.

The fact is that most of the nation could care less about D-2 or D-1AA. D-1A is the only college football that matters to 99% of sports fans across the nation.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What does that have to do with anything I just said. And I think your wrong about IAA football. Most IAA schools have a much bigger following then D2 schools have.

Bohl is a great coach. Just ask him. Actually, ask him what happened down in Nebraska when he was a coach. Sounds like that coaching staff had alot of fun. And you know what I mean. The bison are better this year, hell, they might even make a run at the NCC title this year. Of course they would have to beat UND. All I need to say is 4th and 1. Game over. That was bohl making that call, correct. And he was grinning from ear to ear when he called it.

A question that to try and get us away from so much smack and somewhat back to the topic...

What is is the difference between DI-AA and DI-AA Mid-Major? I was looking at Don Hansen's website and there is a I-AA top 40 poll and then there is a separate I-AA MM top 12 poll. I have heard this term used before but what is the purpose of it?

A question that to try and get us away from so much smack and somewhat back to the topic...

What is is the difference between DI-AA and DI-AA Mid-Major? I was looking at Don Hansen's website and there is a I-AA top 40 poll and then there is a separate I-AA MM top 12 poll. I have heard this term used before but what is the purpose of it?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

IAA Mid Majors are schools that don't offer any scholarships. Schools like Valpo and Drake.

I think the toughest thing for NDSU fans to realize is that their fast start in DI-AA just adds to the proof that DI-AA is a baby step above DII. SDSU is having almost if not the same amount of success as the Bison and they were a middle of the pack team in DII just 2 years ago. All the BS about NDSU having more schollies and better talent in 2 years is BS. Freshman and Sophmores are not the majority of the Bison's starters and some of their "Superior" DI-AA recruits have been redshirted and are in their first year of competition this year. :D

I'm also sick of Bison fans calling themselves DI. Remember you are DI-AA in football, even though your schedule seems to be former DII teams and D8 teams or whatever the he11 Montana Tech is. The only REAL DI program in ND that competes at a championship level at DI is in Grand Forks.

Those titles where won in a different era of D2 football, most of the powerhouses of those days have moved on to greener pastures. D2 is shell of it's former self. I agree about the uniforms, it's time to bring the classic ones back.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, the new crappier area whooped your butt in 2002.

Well, let's use Delaware as a measuring stick. Delaware, currently ranked #11 in D-1AA beat West Chester 42-21 this past Saturday. UND beat West Chester 41-7 a few Saturdays ago. The fact that UND beat West Chester more convincingly than Delaware beat them leads me to believe that UND would hold their own against most D-1AA teams.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Remember, this was with Osunde (Westchester's starting RB), out with a knee injury. He was obviously the only thing that allowed WC to move the ball against UND. They put up more points against Delaware without Osunde than they did against UND with him.

Remember, this was with Osunde (Westchester's starting RB), out with a knee injury. He was obviously the only thing that allowed WC to move the ball against UND. They put up more points against Delaware without Osunde than they did against UND with him.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Keep speculating. Until your foo foo Pres. and lackey AD want to take your athletic program to the mext level you had better concentrate on the *ncc. I'm getting tired of all this s&!t talk from the undies. STEP UP OR SHUT UP. What else more needs to be said.

"I wouldn't necessarily call it a higher level, just a different level", Roger Thomas

"It's no longer a level playing field, so we will not continue the rivalry", Roger Thomas

"The man speaks out of both sides of his mouth. He is an idiot. Not only is he an idiot, he is becoming a caracature of himself--and that's always sad", ndsubison

Idiot. Period.

Check our roster and you will see a $hitload of DI recruits. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Before I say anything else, let me say this. Coach Bohl has done a great job of turning around NDSU from a 2-8 D2 program into an obviously talented 1AA team. I'm not going to argue whether or not they are more talented right now than UND is. There are no logical facts that either side could use to make a point. Here's the point I'm going to make. Even though NDSU may have a lot of D1 recruits, most of the players currently playing and making an impact were recruited before the D1 move. Let's take a look at the starting units

Babich= D2 recruit

Bohl= D1 recruit

Offense

QB Steve Walker (Babich)

RB Kyle Steffes (Babich)

FB/HB Andy Dellabare (Babich)

TE AJ Cooper (Bohl)

WR Travis White (Babich, I know he's injured, but thought I'd point out)

WR Marques Johnson (Babich)

WR Kole Heckendorf (Bohl)

Little unsure who starts on the O-line, so correct me if i'm wrong

LT Nate Safe (Babich)

LG Jake Erickson (Babich)

C Hugh Medal (Babich)

RG Justin Buckwalter (Babich)

RT Tim Popowski (Babich)

Originally 10 of 11 starters were D2 Babich recruits. Now it is 9 of 11. My own ignorance of the offensive line could cause this to change by maybe 1.

Defense

DE Alvin Robinson (Bohl)

DT Rodney Thompson (Bohl)

DT Justin Frick (Babich)

DE Isaac LaVant (Bohl)

WLB Kole Zimmerman (Babich)

MLB Joe Mays (Babich)

SLB Maresh or Compton? (Bohl)

CB Bobby Babich (Babich)

CB Scott Walter (Babich)

SS Craig Dahl (Babich)

FS Nich Shommer (Bohl)

This side is a little more of the Bohl recruits, but more still came from D2 Babich. 6 of 11 are D2 recruits.

Special Teams

P Mike Dragosovich (Babich)

K Cory Vartanian (Babich)

R Shamen Washington (Bohl)

2 of 3 D2 Babich Recruits. If you count Johnson as another returner, you get 3 of 4.

So, looking at it all, at the beginning of the year, 15 of the 22 starters on offense and defense were from NDSU's D2 days. That number is now 14 of 22. Including ST, at the beginning of the year 16 of 25 of the players were D2 recruits.

To go away from numbers, let's look at impact. According to you guys, Walker is the next Brett Favre, and he has so far put up numbers to back up your guys' claims. He was a D2 Babich recruit. Kyle Steffes, starting RB putting up great numbers. D2 recruit. Tim Popowski, top O-lineman on team, D2 Babich recruit. On defense, Ray Lewis (sorry, I mean Joe Mays), D2 Babich recruit. Steady Zimmerman, D2 Babich recruit. 3/4 of Seconday, D2 Babich recruits.

The argument could be made that the D1 recruits have made the depth chart a little deeper. I have no reason or proof to dispute this. But the fact is, the players having the biggest impact on this year's team are actually those that were recruited while NDSU was D2. Is the talent level really that different?

Please answer intelligently.

Keep speculating. Until your foo foo Pres. and lackey AD want to take your athletic program to the mext level you had better concentrate on the *ncc. I'm getting tired of all this s&!t talk from the undies. STEP UP OR SHUT UP. What else more needs to be said.

"I wouldn't necessarily call it a higher level, just a different level", Roger Thomas

"It's no longer a level playing field, so we will not continue the rivalry", Roger Thomas

"The man speaks out of both sides of his mouth. He is an idiot. Not only is he an idiot, he is becoming a caracature of himself--and that's always sad", ndsubison

Idiot. Period.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not speculating one bit. I don't believe in comparing scores. I don't think it works out that way on the field. I was just pointing out the fact that Osunde didn't play for those who didn't know. And as far as the comments such as "undies." If you guys are so high up and so much better, please stay off our lowly D2 message boards. Let us have our fun. You obviously must be missing something at the 1AA level if you must constantly come back to talk to us. Good luck to you guys the rest of the way, you guys seem to be on your way to some great things. I'll be willing to wager a large sum of money that these two teams will see each other on the field within the next few years, and it might even be as two 1AA programs. Until then, let's just agree to disagree on what might be.

BTW-in case you missed it, Roger Thomas isn't our AD anymore. We've got a new man in office, and he thinks a little differently.

Before I say anything else, let me say this. Coach Bohl has done a great job of turning around NDSU from a 2-8 D2 program into an obviously talented 1AA team. I'm not going to argue whether or not they are more talented right now than UND is. There are no logical facts that either side could use to make a point. Here's the point I'm going to make. Even though NDSU may have a lot of D1 recruits, most of the players currently playing and making an impact were recruited before the D1 move. Let's take a look at the starting units

Babich= D2 recruit

Bohl= D1 recruit

Offense

QB Steve Walker (Babich)

RB Kyle Steffes (Babich)

FB/HB Andy Dellabare (Babich)

TE AJ Cooper (Bohl)

WR Travis White (Babich, I know he's injured, but thought I'd point out)

WR Marques Johnson (Babich)

WR Kole Heckendorf (Bohl)

Little unsure who starts on the O-line, so correct me if i'm wrong

LT Nate Safe (Babich)

LG Jake Erickson (Babich)

C Hugh Medal (Babich)

RG Justin Buckwalter (Babich)

RT Tim Popowski (Babich)

Originally 10 of 11 starters were D2 Babich recruits. Now it is 9 of 11. My own ignorance of the offensive line could cause this to change by maybe 1.

Defense

DE Alvin Robinson (Bohl)

DT Rodney Thompson (Bohl)

DT Justin Frick (Babich)

DE Isaac LaVant (Bohl)

WLB Kole Zimmerman (Babich)

MLB Joe Mays (Babich)

SLB Maresh or Compton? (Bohl)

CB Bobby Babich (Babich)

CB Scott Walter (Babich)

SS Craig Dahl (Babich)

FS Nich Shommer (Bohl)

This side is a little more of the Bohl recruits, but more still came from D2 Babich. 6 of 11 are D2 recruits.

Special Teams

P Mike Dragosovich (Babich)

K Cory Vartanian (Babich)

R Shamen Washington (Bohl)

2 of 3 D2 Babich Recruits. If you count Johnson as another returner, you get 3 of 4.

So, looking at it all, at the beginning of the year, 15 of the 22 starters on offense and defense were from NDSU's D2 days. That number is now 14 of 22. Including ST, at the beginning of the year 16 of 25 of the players were D2 recruits.

To go away from numbers, let's look at impact. According to you guys, Walker is the next Brett Favre, and he has so far put up numbers to back up your guys' claims. He was a D2 Babich recruit. Kyle Steffes, starting RB putting up great numbers. D2 recruit. Tim Popowski, top O-lineman on team, D2 Babich recruit. On defense, Ray Lewis (sorry, I mean Joe Mays), D2 Babich recruit. Steady Zimmerman, D2 Babich recruit. 3/4 of Seconday, D2 Babich recruits.

The argument could be made that the D1 recruits have made the depth chart a little deeper. I have no reason or proof to dispute this. But the fact is, the players having the biggest impact on this year's team are actually those that were recruited while NDSU was D2. Is the talent level really that different?

Please answer intelligently.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hate to get involved in this silly pissing match. Woden, that's a pretty good break down. Put Tadisch in place of Erickson on the o-line (also a Babich recruit so the point is probably moot) and you nailed the starting lineup. The only thing I would disagree with is that the current sophomores who redshirted and juniors who played as true freshmen were recruited in 2003, after the plans to go DI were announced. I would consider them DI recruits, since they were basically promised more scholarship money after the transition was made.

I think NDSU and UND were very close from 93-03. Yes, UND beat the Bison more often but the games were always close and NDSU was usually around the top of the NCC. That 2-8 year was just an aberation and nothing more, this team is completely different since Bohl has come in. It is if the Vikings fired Tice and replaced him with Belichick. Bohl has put his system in and has even lost great players and coaches but always seems to find replacement that are just as good or better, Bohl is why NDSU has gotten so good so fast.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That because he can't chase the girls like he did in Nebraska......although he does seem rather smooth evertime I see him at Geicko's. He has to settle for the fat girls that NDSU offers up. Come to think of it, with that shiney head that's all he can get.

Idiot. Period.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Take a chill pill, roll off your mom and calm down punk.

I think the toughest thing for NDSU fans to realize is that their fast start in DI-AA just adds to the proof that DI-AA is a baby step above DII. SDSU is having almost if not the same amount of success as the Bison and they were a middle of the pack team in DII just 2 years ago. All the BS about NDSU having more schollies and better talent in 2 years is BS. Freshman and Sophmores are not the majority of the Bison's starters and some of their "Superior" DI-AA recruits have been redshirted and are in their first year of competition this year.  :D

I'm also sick of Bison fans calling themselves DI. Remember you are DI-AA in football, even though your schedule seems to be former DII teams and D8 teams or whatever the he11 Montana Tech is. The only REAL DI program in ND that competes at a championship level at DI is in Grand Forks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey you can't forget Arkansas-Montecello. Now that was a tough match-up!

With all credit to those teams, they would not destroy the 2005 Bison.  Everybody knows that lateral speed will kill an option offense.  For reference, check last years Bison/Carson-Newman game.  I go to the games, you do not.  Stick to following the whioux.  That is your obvious strength :D  :)

GO BISON!!@

2005 Great West Champions

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't come on here and be so disrespectful. They are the SIOUX. Go to Bisonville and talk smack, not here.

:D  Here we go... NDSU is GREAT! Bring on the GOPHERS!!! NDSU plays the most difficult schedule in D1-(AA). UND is terrible. Thomas is a big pansy. Kup-cake doesn't have the balls to play the mighty Bison! NDSU would beat UND with 7 guys on the field. NDSU may have the talent to beat NEBRASKA next year! Greatest NDSU team since Phil Hansen played. UND couldn't beat Montana Tech! blah blah blah Who freakin' cares? :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you mean like UND did??? the second string played in the 3rd quarter...do some research before you flap!!!