SiouxSports.com Forum

UND in D-IAA

knowledge

I was just listening to WDAY radio here in Fargo and our favorite SU homer Steve Hallstrom was saying that UND wasn't any better than a top 30 team. I called and disagreed. I feel that the top of DII is as good as top 15-20 in IAA. NDSU's upset of Montana is an example. NDSU doing well last year with mostly a DII holdover team is an example. DIAA and DII are recruiting the same players. IAA isn't stealing kids from big time schools, they're competing with area schools in II or low I. I don't think the quality of players is covincingly different. I want to know what people think.

Obvious answers are depth of roster and depth of schedule? I think UND may be talented enough to win the Great West this year. I know they're coached well enough and disciplined well.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just listening to WDAY radio here in Fargo and our favorite SU homer Steve Hallstrom was saying that UND wasn't any better than a top 30 team.  I called and disagreed. I feel that the top of DII is as good as top 15-20 in IAA.  NDSU's upset of Montana is an example.  NDSU doing well last year with mostly a DII holdover team is an example. DIAA and DII are recruiting the same players.  IAA isn't stealing kids from big time schools, they're competing with area schools in II or low I.  I don't think the quality of players is covincingly different. I want to know what people think. 

Obvious answers are depth of roster and depth of schedule?  I think UND may be talented enough to win the Great West this year.  I know they're coached well enough and disciplined well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Have you gone off your meds? There is no way that UND could win the Great West. The only reason they are undefeated is because of there weak schedule. Halstrom is absolutely correct, they are no better than a top 30 team.

As for NDSU being a DII holdover team- that is a load of crap. A lot of those players have graduated and we've gotten a ton of new recruits since going DI-aa.

There is a reason that players are on DI-aa teams as opposed to DII teams - they are better. There is no way that UND would even have a winning record in the Great West Football Conference.

No sense even starting this BS again. Anyone who knows anything about football and is rationale at all knows UND would be just fine in D1-AA just like NDSU is doing just fine. UND was better than NDSU for the past 10 years so there is no real reason to think they wouldn't be able to play at that level. Grand Valley would be good, hell Omaha would be good. The scores are showing there isn't as much of a difference as people in Fargo want you to think there is. They have been listening to much to their "cheerleader" :D coach say D1 every other sentence and try and get people believing what isn't there.

And all those recruits you brought it, they are Freshman so your core of your team were all D2 recruits 2 years ago. Get a clue.

Last year, the Bison were a DII holdover team and they did do very well. You can only add a certain number of scholarships each year from what I've heard, so even now the Bison aren't a fully funded DI-AA team and could be considered a DII holdover team. I don't think UND would win the Big West this year, but they would be near the top as they are very good this year. UND being undefeated has to do with how talented they are this year, not their schedule.

knowledge- Have you seen your UND schedule lately? West Chester? Winona? Cent Wast? Wst. Wash? Do these teams even have 63 scholarships between the four of them. Do they even have 50? It is one thing for NDSU to beat Montana while being a D2 school, it's another thing entirely for NDSU to finish in the top 20 of IAA while playing a schedule with maybe 4 montana caliber schools on it when they where a D2.

Another thing, most of this years NDSU team had nothing to do with D2, most of the players wouldn't even be here if NDSU was still a D2. IAA teams are faster and Bigger. I watched a few NDSU games vs IAA schools last year and their is a noticable difference, from the days of when I watched D2 schools in the Dome. Also NDSU competes with more then just area schools while recruiting, if you haven't realized NDSU recruits nationwide(Florida, Arizona, Illinois, Texas, Mississippi, Nebraska,etc). I think if NDSU and UND played this year you would be suprised to see the spead, talent, and depth that SU has. To bad Kupchella and Thomas where afraid to play IAA NDSU because then you would have had the chance to see for yourself just how talented they are.

And to be honest I don't think UND is talented enough to finish 3rd in the Great West. Just the other weekend UC Davis beat Stanford, NDSU crushed another IAA school, Cal Poly domlished a top 10 IAA Montana St, and SDSU gave Montana all they could handle. This conference is probably the 2nd best in the nation and probably has three of the top 10 defenses in all of IAA. Knowledge quit trying to draw comparisions using past NDSU teams and NDSU current team. When UND plays a top IAA school then you can start drawing comparisions of where UND would be in IAA until then just worry about D2 because that is all you should have any knowledge about.(unless of course UND's weak schedule has drawn you in to the Dome to watch NDSU play and for that I couldn't blame you)

Somebody has been listening to the press conferences and reading the Forum.

You are really buying into it aren't you? Its OK if you are. Bohl is a great salesman...hell I heard him saying you are gonna be competing for the National Championship in 2008. I heard that the other D1-AA's are recruiting for the next two years and two years only because of it, the division is all yours in 3 years. So your coach says. Just keep listening cause it will keep coming and all you lifers livin in the 80's will think that the glory days are back.

The good thing is that the people in Fargo aren't taking themselves and this D1-AA thing too seriously. :D

:D Here we go... NDSU is GREAT! Bring on the GOPHERS!!! NDSU plays the most difficult schedule in D1-(AA). UND is terrible. Thomas is a big pansy. Kup-cake doesn't have the balls to play the mighty Bison! NDSU would beat UND with 7 guys on the field. NDSU may have the talent to beat NEBRASKA next year! Greatest NDSU team since Phil Hansen played. UND couldn't beat Montana Tech! blah blah blah Who freakin' cares? :)

Dave K- A few years ago Deleware beat WC 80-0, I think they just got a big lead and put in some backups and coasted to a win. That game isn't a very good measuring stick. Now if UND actually had the guts to play a soild IAA school then you would have something to use to measure were UND would stand in IAA.

Do you understand the criteria used to select D2 playoff teams? You lose points for playing a game against any team from outside of D2, regardless of the outcome of the game. Understanding that point, tell me why would any D2 school in their right mind schedule a game against a D-1AA team? It has nothing to do with guts.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

UND could play one IAA and be just fine. Both GVSU and CN have played IAA's in the past and it didn't affect them getting into the playoffs. NDSU played two IAA's their last year in D2 and were just one win away from making the playoffs and that was back in the day were playing a IAA really hurt and only 4 teams made the playoffs. If UND really wants to know where they would stand in IAA then they should play a IAA school.

Okay, my bad. You'd think CSTV would have a current poll, but I digress. So, actually, Delaware is ranked even higher than I thought they were. If a team that was 2-9 in their 2nd to last year in D2 can be ranked in the top 10 in just their 2nd year of D-1AA, just imagine what a perennial D2 powerhouse such as UND, UNO, GVSU, or PSU might do if and when they decide to make that move. I think this all goes to show that the step up from D2 to D-1AA is nothing more than a baby step.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

2-9 in their 2ND to last year? How about 8-3 in their last year in DII - not to mention beating Montana. That was also the first year of the Bohl era. It would be interesting to see what those DII teams you mention could do and I'd love to see it. But first, Kupchella needs to get his head out of his ass.

2-9 in their 2ND to last year? How about 8-3 in their last year in DII - not to mention beating Montana. That was also the first year of the Bohl era. It would be interesting to see what those DII teams you mention could do and I'd love to see it. But first, Kupchella needs to get his head out of his ass.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Da Bizon has a point and that is that I would say NDSU would be about a top 35 team in IAA the year they beat Montana. Then with added scholarships NDSU moved up to top 25 last year, and now top 10 this year. I think if UND went IAA they could follow a similar path of success. If UND could find the talent and fund the scholarships fast enough they could be very competive very quickly just like NDSU did.

As a UND fan, I would like to see them do it... if not for the fact that it would hurt our playoff chances. Even if we won, it would count against us for playing a team from outside of our division. I don't get what's so hard to understand about that. Just because other schools are doing it doesn't make any less of a stupid move based on the way the playoff criteria is set up.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dave the rules have changed and now it isn't that much of a penalty for a IAA. UND could play one IAA and be fine and still make the playoffs.

That's essentially what I'm saying. There's no question that UND was a better D2 team than NDSU from 1993-2003. Based on that fact, anything that NDSU can do UND can do better. If it was that easy for the Bison to be competitive at the next level, it'll be even easier for the Sioux if and when they decide that is something that they're interested in doing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think NDSU and UND were very close from 93-03. Yes, UND beat the Bison more often but the games were always close and NDSU was usually around the top of the NCC. That 2-8 year was just an aberation and nothing more, this team is completely different since Bohl has come in. It is if the Vikings fired Tice and replaced him with Belichick. Bohl has put his system in and has even lost great players and coaches but always seems to find replacement that are just as good or better, Bohl is why NDSU has gotten so good so fast.

Not that much of a penalty, but still somewhat of a penalty. Right? We have some tough teams in our conference. If we were to schedule a D-1AA team and lose a couple of conference games, it could very likely come back to bite us in the a$$. Why take that chance? You have nothing to gain and everything to lose.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The penalty is worth it. The Bison played 2 DI-aa teams in their last season and almost made the playoffs. UNO is the only other quality team in the NCC right now while St. Cloud State is ok. The NCC lost a lot when UNC and NDSU made the jump. UND would gain recognition and confidence with a win against a DI-aa team. How can you say that you have nothing to gain and everything to lose? Losing a game versus, say Augustana or Minnesota-Duluth, that could be bad!

I was just listening to WDAY radio here in Fargo and our favorite SU homer Steve Hallstrom was saying that UND wasn't any better than a top 30 team.  I called and disagreed. I feel that the top of DII is as good as top 15-20 in IAA.  NDSU's upset of Montana is an example.  NDSU doing well last year with mostly a DII holdover team is an example. DIAA and DII are recruiting the same players.  IAA isn't stealing kids from big time schools, they're competing with area schools in II or low I.  I don't think the quality of players is covincingly different. I want to know what people think. 

Obvious answers are depth of roster and depth of schedule?  I think UND may be talented enough to win the Great West this year.  I know they're coached well enough and disciplined well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You cannot be serious. I will probably be lambasted on this board as being a Bison homer but--seriously--have you personally been to ANY Bison games this year? Have you noticed that the athletes are bigger, stronger and FASTER? It is not a facade. It is most certainly a higher level of competition and to think that UND would win the Great West is absurd. They would most likely finish 4th or 5th. Seriously. NDSU, Poly, Davis, and I dare say SDSU would all beat UND head to head this year. I would also say that NDSU & Poly would handle the sioux convincingly.

GO BISON!!!

2005 Great West Champions

Well, let's use Delaware as a measuring stick. Delaware, currently ranked #11 in D-1AA beat West Chester 42-21 this past Saturday. UND beat West Chester 41-7 a few Saturdays ago. The fact that UND beat West Chester more convincingly than Delaware beat them leads me to believe that UND would hold their own against most D-1AA teams.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

und2 would most certainly hold their own against quite a few I-AA teams. However, against the elite teams they would come away realizing how much they were lacking overall. Not a jab--just reality. I have been watching the Bison for well over 20 yrs and I will say right now without a doubt that this yrs team is the most talented that I have EVER seen. Size, depth, SPEED. AGRESSIVENESS. It's all there. If you don't believe me buy a ticket and come watch us play Nicholls State next week. OR, watch the Montana State game this saturday. It's on statewide TV in ND & MT. I believe the whioux play augustana :D