SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

More on Hunter Bishop from the Sioux Blog.

"North Dakota has been my dream school," Bishop said. "It's a beautiful college. They keep up with the grass and the parks. Everything is real close on campus, too. The business program also is something I've looked into. It's just a great program. Then when I saw the rink, that place is unbelievably nice. It's a dream to play in a rink like that. I loved every bit of my visit."

So basically it sounds like he is a speed demon like Duncan and Miller. Should be good then to have a couple of speed guys to keep the opposition on their heals.

Don't forget about Matt Watkins. I don't mind the Sioux returning to the years of the "speed kills" motto.

The Herald lists Aaron Marvin as committed to the Sioux in an article in today's paper. Is this something new or have I been asleep at the wheel?

New; has been speculation around here that the Sioux would/should be interested in him, but nothing concrete. Nothing in the online GFH yet either.

The Herald lists Aaron Marvin as committed to the Sioux in an article in today's paper. Is this something new or have I been asleep at the wheel?

Hope this is true. Can't get enough of those Warroad kids. I expected this would happen, since if he went elsewhere his family would disown him... ???

Edit: I suppose he will be listed as an 08, with the strong likelyhood that he would come in 07.

Are you talking about the listing of NHL draft prospects? That is the only spot where I saw Marvin's name. Just above his name was Forney's, and it said he signed with UND, but no mention of Marvin committing in that listing anyway.

History would say that it's just a matter of time though, unless he wants to follow his sister. ???:lol:

I'm sure the coaches aren't going to take it for granted. History has shown it isn't wise to count your recruits before they hatch, I mean sign.

Heart skipped a beat when I read that Marvin committed to UND. No dice though.. yet.

There's no "should" in this equation. I think it would be ludicrous to believe that UND wouldn't be interested in Aaron Marvin. He's big, strong, can score, can forecheck... He's got a solid two way game. He's not Zach Parise, Oshie, or Toews by any means, but he's a really good combination of skill and size. I'd LOVE to have him camping out in front of the opposing netminder wearing a Sioux jersey.

I hope it comes true.

Heart skipped a beat when I read that Marvin committed to UND. No dice though.. yet.

There's no "should" in this equation. I think it would be ludicrous to believe that UND wouldn't be interested in Aaron Marvin. He's big, strong, can score, can forecheck... He's got a solid two way game. He's not Zach Parise, Oshie, or Toews by any means, but he's a really good combination of skill and size. I'd LOVE to have him camping out in front of the opposing netminder wearing a Sioux jersey.

I hope it comes true.

And I've heard those Warroad kids can get better... ???

Quote from Wisconsin paper on Salmon Arm player Ben Winnett;

"With at least two holes to fill in the 2007-08 recruiting class, Eaves and his staff appear to be focusing their attention on center Ben Winnett from Salmon Arm of the British Columbia Junior Hockey League.

Winnett, 17, and his father, Derek, made an unofficial campus visit to UW June 17. The two also made an unofficial stop at Michigan and are interested in Denver and North Dakota."

If it has been posted in another thread I apologize, but Aaron Marvin apparently committed to St. Clown. This according to Heisenberg. I really wanted the Sioux to get him. I figured that we would. Maybe we offered him as an 08 and SC offered 07.

Not meant as a slam, but how much better is Aaron Marvin at this stage of his career than Lee Marvin was? It would be nice to get local guys but it is not good to pick someone solely because they are local. If he is better than I think, then hats off to St Cloud as they have stole two recruits that many thought were coming to UND (Christian and Marvin). I think that two or three years down the line, Jordy is the one that UND will wish that they got not Aaron Marvin.

If it has been posted in another thread I apologize, but Aaron Marvin apparently committed to St. Clown. This according to Heisenberg. I really wanted the Sioux to get him. I figured that we would. Maybe we offered him as an 08 and SC offered 07.

WTF,

I assume the coaches know something we don't. My god we lost a Christian and a Marvin to Sterns County??? :lol:

Regardless of the Sioux plans, I would expect that those kids would refuse the offer and try to walk on at UND. :huh:

At this point I won't overreact because I have no doubt that the coaches have a tone of talent in the works. Hak has earned my undivided trust. :lol:

Still though, Sterns County :lol: Way to through your life away dumba$$.

TJ Oshie, that does it you are fired as a peer recruiter. :ohmy:

Not meant as a slam, but how much better is Aaron Marvin at this stage of his career than Lee Marvin was? It would be nice to get local guys but it is not good to pick someone solely because they are local. If he is better than I think, then hats off to St Cloud as they have stole two recruits that many thought were coming to UND (Christian and Marvin). I think that two or three years down the line, Jordy is the one that UND will wish that they got not Aaron Marvin.

I really think it's the opposite. Jordy hasn't impressed all that much when I've seen him play. I mean, he looked like he could play at the WCHA-level, but I don't think he'll be a star. But I think Marvin will be a very, very good college player. It's not very often that a guy his size can skate that fast and have hands that soft. I'd put him in the same class as Mike Forney. I'm really disappointed that he didn't end up in Mankato because I think he'll be a special player.

I would contend that NHL scouts see this very differently than you.

Dude, you can't be serious with that statement.

Dude, you can't be serious with that statement.

I am referring to how good they would be at UND, not the NHL. Was Jordy even draft eligible this year? (not to say that he would have gone in front of Marvin). So does the fact that Brad Defauw was a high draft pick and Jason Blake wasn't picked at all mean the NHL scouts knew something we didn't? NHL scouts are wrong sometimes because they are just going for the biggest strongest guy, not necessarily the guy that can get it done.

UND has made a living of bringing in small speedy guys with little chance at the NHL (Hoogsteens, Brady Murray, Jeff Panzer (who should have got a chance), B. Lundbohm, etc. Some of the high ranking big recruits have been mediocre at best (Defauw, Massen, etc). These are generalizations, but it goes to show that the NHL scouts and other experts aren't always right.