SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

I really don't know what to take of that article.

It is cynical and vitriolic. It's not complimentary of NCAA nor is it complimentary of the CHL really. It's not complimentary of the recruiting process in general, regardless of league.

What's his angle?

You know I am not sure I guess we could ask him. What I gather was that the players were kind of messing around with the Jr and NCAA teams to better their lot in life and he is looking for changes. Doesn't sound like he is a fan of the college game too much.

It makes one wonder if a CHL GM will ever have the guts to draft a guy he knows wont play for him just so the team side-dealing can't get him...then, if that team really wants the player, they can pay out the nose for him... That could potentially cool down the situation, not that it will ever happen...

The USHL and USA Hockey announced today that the NTDP program will now be a member of the USHL, as it once was. This is part of the push by USA Hockey to advance the new american development model that I posted about a few weeks ago. It will also be nice for area fans if we have a recruit on the NTDP team to see him in Fargo. Both the 17U and 18U will play in the league and will count as one team in the standings. Here is the press release,

http://www.usahockey.com/USANTDP/default.a...etailedNews=yes

The USHL and USA Hockey announced today that the NTDP program will now be a member of the USHL, as it once was. This is part of the push by USA Hockey to advance the new american development model that I posted about a few weeks ago. It will also be nice for area fans if we have a recruit on the NTDP team to see him in Fargo. Both the 17U and 18U will play in the league and will count as one team in the standings. Here is the press release,

Crap, I'm going to have to revise my graphic. I do think that the U17 team (without the U18's helping out) will REALLY struggle in the USHL. It's not the same league it was ten years ago. Seth Ambroz is a shoe-in for the NTDP now (as if he wasn't before)... considering he's already having a lot of success in the USHL.

So I'm starting to revise my graphic on the American Development Model, and it occurs to me that this is REALLY BAD for NCAA hockey. Why, you ask? Well, it's not unheard of for a very talented and physically mature 18 year old to go straight into the NHL. However, following the track of NTDP U17 in the NAHL to the NTDP U18 playing against some D1 opponents and being ready for the NHL at 18 was just too steep of a learning curve (like a JVR or a Colin Wilson). It's the same reason you rarely see kids go straight from the USHL to the NHL, even if they were drafted in the first round and appear physically mature (like a John Carlson). Now, however, they'll go from the NTDP U17 in the USHL to the NTDP U18 playing a (presumably more difficult) NCAA D1 schedule. The NTDP U18 studs will now be deemed MORE proven and NHL worthy than before, so I think you'll see a greater push to get them into a two-way AHL/NHL contract, because now there's a better chance that they can help the NHL squad. In other words, I think USA Hockey and the NHL are conspiring to bypass the NCAA all-togheter. In retrospect, that seems to be the ultimate goal of the NHL's $8 million dollar investment. Besides the money, USA Hockey also benefits by keeping more kids out of the CHL and by putting out better teams for international tournaments.

I don't like it. There's no reason to remove the NTDP U17 team from a league where they currently hold the 6th best winning percentage. I smell a rat.

So I'm starting to revise my graphic on the American Development Model, and it occurs to me that this is REALLY BAD for NCAA hockey. Why, you ask? Well, it's not unheard of for a very talented and physically mature 18 year old to go straight into the NHL. However, following the track of NTDP U17 in the NAHL to the NTDP U18 playing against some D1 opponents and being ready for the NHL at 18 was just too steep of a learning curve (like a JVR or a Colin Wilson). It's the same reason you rarely see kids go straight from the USHL to the NHL, even if they were drafted in the first round and appear physically mature (like a John Carlson). Now, however, they'll go from the NTDP U17 in the USHL to the NTDP U18 playing a (presumably more difficult) NCAA D1 schedule. The NTDP U18 studs will now be deemed MORE proven and NHL worthy than before, so I think you'll see a greater push to get them into a two-way AHL/NHL contract, because now there's a better chance that they can help the NHL squad. In other words, I think USA Hockey and the NHL are conspiring to bypass the NCAA all-togheter. In retrospect, that seems to be the ultimate goal of the NHL's $8 million dollar investment. Besides the money, USA Hockey also benefits by keeping more kids out of the CHL and by putting out better teams for international tournaments.

I don't like it. There's no reason to remove the NTDP U17 team from a league where they currently hold the 6th best winning percentage. I smell a rat.

Yeah...I'm sure the NHL and USA hockey are conspiring to get more players to go straight to the NHL. :D I'm sure that's exactly what the NHL want's is a ton of 18 year old rookies getting beat up night after night. How many American 18 year olds have played in the NHL lately? 1? 2?

This is not REALLY BAD for college hockey. If anything, it helps college hockey. Kid's that are weighing their options between Major Junior and NTDP may be persuaded more to the NTDP now that they don't have to play in the NAHL. I think you will see a lot more high end kids who had been turning down the program now giving it a stronger look.

Yeah...I'm sure the NHL and USA hockey are conspiring to get more players to go straight to the NHL. :D I'm sure that's exactly what the NHL want's is a ton of 18 year old rookies getting beat up night after night. How many American 18 year olds have played in the NHL lately? 1? 2?

Did you miss the part about the two way contract?

This is not REALLY BAD for college hockey. If anything, it helps college hockey. Kid's that are weighing their options between Major Junior and NTDP may be persuaded more to the NTDP now that they don't have to play in the NAHL. I think you will see a lot more high end kids who had been turning down the program now giving it a stronger look.

I guess we'll have to wait and see. I just think that if any of these kids were good enough to get into the USHL, that's an avenue they would have pursued. I don't think this would have made a difference for any of the five Minnesotans who turned down the program this year.

Dylan Olsen has committed to Minnesota-Duluth. WTF? Who turns down the Sioux ???

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pq-...lY40GCpqCpRsjRw

That's a shocker. No one on the UMD Penalty Box board even seemed to be aware that the Dogs were recruiting him. The only schools I'd seen mentioned in recent months were Wisconsin, Denver, and UND. Great get for Sandy! The only good news for the Sioux is that he probably won't be in the WCHA for very long. :D

Of all places why UMD? Is there area that great (never been there) or program for that matter (development of players for future NHL play)?

There are other AJHL players there at UMD.

Brett Hull was pretty good in the NHL. Niskanen and Raymond aren't bad, either.

If you look at the numbers it didn't add up for us - too many D coming in the next 2 years.

2010 projected roster

Marto sr

Lapoint sr

Blood jr

Feinhage jr

Mc William so

Gleason so

Mattson fr

(Forbert) USHL?

I'm sad for the Sioux but am glad for Scott he landed a high-profile recruit - better there than Den/Wisco. Of course UMTC doesn't need him.

With a new arena coming, Scott could keep landing good players from W Canada and N Minn.

Of all places why UMD? Is there area that great (never been there) or program for that matter (development of players for future NHL play)?

Tho0505, by seeing this post I am assuming you don't follow much outside of UND, especially in recruiting. Are you aware that UMD has a huge "in" with Camrose? Matt McKinght, Mason Raymond, McGregor Sharp, Evan Oberg, Mike Conolly, and I think I am missing one more. The fact is UMD has been recruiting from Camrose long before UND knocked on that door so I am sure that we have some pull with their coach. Add that to the fact he has played with Oberg and Conolly plus the recruits we have he can get some play time early.

Tho0505, by seeing this post I am assuming you don't follow much outside of UND, especially in recruiting. Are you aware that UMD has a huge "in" with Camrose? Matt McKinght, Mason Raymond, McGregor Sharp, Evan Oberg, Mike Conolly, and I think I am missing one more. The fact is UMD has been recruiting from Camrose long before UND knocked on that door so I am sure that we have some pull with their coach. Add that to the fact he has played with Oberg and Conolly plus the recruits we have he can get some play time early.

Actually UMD is probably going to be one of the better teams in the WCHA next season. I expect them to make a lot of noise this year

in the WCHA playoffs as well. Mike Conolly is one of the better rookies in the league. Also, UND fans haven't gotten to see UMD play a lot this season because of the lack of decent TV coverage. But from what I have seen so far this season I have been impressed with the UMD Bulldogs. I think of all the teams that played UMD this season they played the Sioux the toughest. Hats off to SANDY.

Oh yeah and I expect the Goofs to be swept by the Bulldogs this weekend. I have a beer riding on it.

great pick up for the dogz DGH, good luck this weekend and woop those gophs azz!!

Wow, that's a surprise. I never heard of them even being in the running.

Huge pickup for UMD.

A little surprising to me as well, but to his credit he was true to his word. In this interview he expressed how he wanted immediate ice time and didn't want to go to a "huge" place where he would be fighting for time: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/1065...ts_dylan_olsen/

"A place where you go into and it has a great atmosphere, great academics, the coaches are good, being around the veterans and seeing that they're good leaders," he explained. "I don't want to go to a huge place where I'm not going to be able to play, I want to come in and get ice time. I don't want to be one of those guys sitting up in the stands that are just going to school. I want to get my schooling done and play unreal hockey and see where it takes me from there."

And in my humble opinion this may be better for the Sioux in the long run. I was kinda confused on how it would work out if he did choose North Dakota. It would have been a log jam at D the next couple years and we may have lost a kid to a transfer which isn't good for anybody. And after all UMD needed a little payback after the Sioux took Forbort out of their backyard (although you gotta believe that stung the Bulldog faithful a little more than this stings us).

You have to think that Olsen would have gotten immediate playing time regardless of where he chose to go. Even if he would have come to UND, he's probably at a level where another recruit would have been pushed back a year, or another dman would have been in the stands each game. Like you said though, that could have led to someone backing out of a commitment, and that's never good. We don't want to be like UW. :D

I agree with you that it's probably better that he didn't choose UND due to the logjam that would have developed from that. At least he chose a WCHA school so we can still watch him play regularly...and I'm glad he chose UMD over schools like UMN, DU, or UW.

And after all UMD needed a little payback after the Sioux took Forbort out of their backyard (although you gotta believe that stung the Bulldog faithful a little more than this stings us).

Exactly. Forbort is a player that I am really excited to see in a Sioux uni. He's going to be a good one...

From this UMD fan.....it did hurt to lose Forbert.

But Forbert's teammate Max Tardy chose UMD and he is also going to be a fantastic player, so that took some of the sting away. I also think UMD got a future star in Basabara from Shattuck.

Btw, I am a new poster here but a long time reader. I am a Dogs fan first and Sioux fan second. I have always thought UMD and the Sioux take a similar approach to the game. I especially enjoy when the Sioux play the rodents in the final five.....I even had to buy a Sioux jersey to wear to those games.

But Forbert's teammate Max Tardy chose UMD and he is also going to be a fantastic player. I also think UMD got a future star in Basabara from Shattuck.

Btw, I am a new poster here but a long time reader. I am a Dogs fan first and Sioux fan second. I have always thought UMD and the Sioux take a similar approach to the game. I especially enjoy when the Sioux play the rodents in the final five.....I even had to buy a Sioux jersey to wear to those games.

UMD plays a very simular style to UND and if Minnesota gets down early they are going to be toast. UMD is very physical and fast.

UMD plays a very simular style to UND and if Minnesota gets down early they are going to be toast. UMD is very physical and fast.

Gophers have the same problem they always have.....no role players. When 5 guys stand in front of the net calling for the puck, there is nobody to go get the puck.

But Forbert's teammate Max Tardy chose UMD and he is also going to be a fantastic player, so that took some of the sting away. I also think UMD got a future star in Basabara from Shattuck.

Well Welcome to the board and I agree Tardy is going to be a helluva hockey player, I've yet to see Basabara play and haven't heard much about him.

I don't always think in college hockey's best interest first. This is a good move for USA Hockey and the NHL as a whole because it accelerates the NTDP that much more. As for it hurting college hockey, I still think that most of the NTDP players will still play at least a year of college because it is very tough to go straight to the NHL when you're 18. There is no doubt that this move will make the USHL thee premier rout for U.S. born players.