SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

I watch alot of NAHL hockey and there is no question that it is a step below USHL but much better than most high school hockey. (Especially ND HS hockey) Also, since the U17 team plays in the NAHL a large chunk of the college committs and future D-1/NHL players come from that team.

I very much enjoy the play in the NAHL, the entertainment value is very good, but there is no question that as a whole the USHL is a superior league and will continue to be so for awhile.

Here's one to keep an eye on for quite some time. 1993 born Michael St. Croix. Leading scorer in Manitoba AAA Bantam 1 (1992 born players). I'm not sure but I don't think Toews was the leading scorer in his first year as an age advanced player.

Know Michael very well and I can attest to the quality of this little guy. He isn't going to be that little either. Older brother is 6'3" 220 Ibs.

Keep an I on him. It should be good for some laughs.

Also, if we are going to go to Wisco to get kids, than why is no one talking about Zach Morbeck. Get this kid (1988 born) and get his younger brothers before everyone else figures out who they are. Ask Greico about Morbeck. I'm sure he would not hesitate to have him as a teammate.

Here's one to keep an eye on for quite some time. 1993 born Michael St. Croix. Leading scorer in Manitoba AAA Bantam 1 (1992 born players). I'm not sure but I don't think Toews was the leading scorer in his first year as an age advanced player.

Know Michael very well and I can attest to the quality of this little guy. He isn't going to be that little either. Older brother is 6'3" 220 Ibs.

Also, if we are going to go to Wisco to get kids, than why is no one talking about Zach Morbeck. Get this kid (1988 born) and get his younger brothers before everyone else figures out who they are. Ask Greico about Morbeck. I'm sure he would not hesitate to have him as a teammate.

I really appreciate your posts.

when you say that you know him(thats what i read it as), do you mean that you personally know him? or have you just seen him a lot. and if you do know him, does he talk about what he plans on for college or whatever?

when you say that you know him(thats what i read it as), do you mean that you personally know him? or have you just seen him a lot. and if you do know him, does he talk about what he plans on for college or whatever?

He knows me and I know him. I don't know what his plans are. I don't think he does either, he's only 13. I just thought it would be kind of funny mentioning his name! It would also be kind of neat to follow another potential Toews like player and see where he winds up.

Whoa! He's only 13 (or 14, I guess)...how many kids, even star hockey players, know where they want to go to college at that age? Let's give the kid a few years, eh?

The forum reported that Moreland did not have enough credits to continue to play for the Sioux. While he has been lighting it up for the Jets, I don't see him back in a Sioux uniform anytime soon, especially if we keep bringing in the talent, there just isn't room for him.

I'm kind of curious as to who you think UND is bringing or brought in this year that would be better then him? I think it would be safe to say he would have been the banner recruit had he been able to play this year and next year should be no different.

I'm kind of curious as to who you think UND is bringing or brought in this year that would be better then him? I think it would be safe to say he would have been the banner recruit had he been able to play this year and next year should be no different.

Where to start. How about Vandevelde is a much more highly thought of recruit as is LaPoint, Forney, Bishop, Zajac, Marto, Malone, Genoway, Hextall and both recruits that we have for 08 and 09. Yes, he is a local kid and yes he was good in high school but he wouldn't be able to crack the lineup this year or next as far as I can tell. Just my opinion though.

Where to start. How about Vandevelde is a much more highly thought of recruit as is LaPoint, Forney, Bishop, Zajac, Marto, Malone, Genoway, Hextall and both recruits that we have for 08 and 09. Yes, he is a local kid and yes he was good in high school but he wouldn't be able to crack the lineup this year or next as far as I can tell. Just my opinion though.

I agree.

It's really silly that the "homegrown talent" argument is still overtaking the top talent argument around here. It was the argument used to argue Phil should have been starting over Jordan Parise and why Walski should be starting instead of Grieco.

Please. Moreland was a recruited walk on for the Sioux like Todd Alexander. There was never any guarantee that he'd get any playing time. Some players, like Ryan Sofie and more than likely Aaron Walski, accepted that. Others, like Moreland, tried to get more playing time to see if he could garner more interest.

If Moreland cannot catch on with the Sioux, I hope Hakstol has made it clear to him that Moreland can look around. I think, if nothing else, he'd make a good fit at a place like Concordia or Norwich, or St. Norberts, or perhaps some CHA or AHA teams.

It's really silly that the "homegrown talent" argument is still overtaking the top talent argument around here. It was the argument used to argue Phil should have been starting over Jordan Parise and why Walski should be starting instead of Grieco.

Please. Moreland was a recruited walk on for the Sioux like Todd Alexander. There was never any guarantee that he'd get any playing time. Some players, like Ryan Sofie and more than likely Aaron Walski, accepted that. Others, like Moreland, tried to get more playing time to see if he could garner more interest.

That is well said Redwing77.

Who?

Here are some excerpts from other web sites. You may recognize some names!

Badgers1

06-22-2004, 05:12 PM

Speaking of youngsters here's a list of Wisconsin kids that made the Central District teams for the Summer Festival. The region is almost entirely Illinois and Wisconsin with some Missouri's and a few randoms.

17 '87 Birthdates

Defense

Jason Fredricks

Garrett Suter

Jeremy Dehner

Forwards

Phil Kessel

Jack Skille

Andy Bombach

Jake Drewiske

Alexander McRae

Sean Wiles

Dan Decato

At large players: Joel Sauer

Osiecki is the head coach.

Central 16's '88 Birthdates

Defense

Derek Lapoint

Ryan Little

Forwards

Jason Cseter

Michael Sislo

Zachary Henry

Patrick Tiesling

Travis Erstad

Zachary Morbeck

At large: Kyle Ensign

Another former Badger Matt Walsh is the Head Coach

Centrals 15 '89 Birthdates

G

Andy Scheilb

Defense

Logan Maly

Eric Springer

A.J. Sturges

Forwards

Matthew Thurber

Jonathan Bellotti

Keegan Meuer

At large: Pat Johnson and A.J. Mueller

Friday, August 04, 2006

Final Stats-Boys Select 15 Festival

Five players from Wisconsin participated in the USA Hockey Select 15 Festival in St. Cloud, Minnesota. Here's their stats for the fifth (and final) game and their total stats for the Festival:

F-Matt Johnson-Somerset-2 G Total: 3 G, 7.3 Pim

F-Sean Little-Fond du Lac-1 A Total: 1 G, 3 A, 1.3 Pim

F-Kord Miller-Delafield-11.3 Pim Total: 22 Pim

F-Nick Widing-Somerset-None Total: 3 Pim

F-Corey Morbeck-Jackson-23 minutes, 10 shots-9 saves, 1 ga Total: 115 minutes, 60 shots, 57 saves, 3 ga, .950 sv. pctg., 1.20 gaa

UW recruit Zach Bearson's brother Alex Bearson also participated at the Select 15 Festival. Here's his numbers:

F-Alex Bearson-Naperville, IL-1 G Total: 1 G, 1 A, 7.3 Pim

Kord Miller led the ENTIRE FESTIVAL in penalties with 22 Pim. The next player had 16.3 Pim....

Corey Morbeck finished with the best save percentage and goals against average of all the goaltenders.

Corey is Zack's younger brother. One of the best if not the best goaltender in the US for his age group.

The 1993 born brother is the best of the bunch.

Here are some excerpts from other web sites. You may recognize some names!

Badgers1

06-22-2004, 05:12 PM

Speaking of youngsters here's a list of Wisconsin kids that made the Central District teams for the Summer Festival. The region is almost entirely Illinois and Wisconsin with some Missouri's and a few randoms.

17 '87 Birthdates

Defense

Jason Fredricks

Garrett Suter

Jeremy Dehner

Forwards

Phil Kessel

Jack Skille

Andy Bombach

Jake Drewiske

Alexander McRae

Sean Wiles

Dan Decato

At large players: Joel Sauer

Osiecki is the head coach.

Central 16's '88 Birthdates

Defense

Derek Lapoint

Ryan Little

Forwards

Jason Cseter

Michael Sislo

Zachary Henry

Patrick Tiesling

Travis Erstad

Zachary Morbeck

At large: Kyle Ensign

Another former Badger Matt Walsh is the Head Coach

Centrals 15 '89 Birthdates

G

Andy Scheilb

Defense

Logan Maly

Eric Springer

A.J. Sturges

Forwards

Matthew Thurber

Jonathan Bellotti

Keegan Meuer

At large: Pat Johnson and A.J. Mueller

Friday, August 04, 2006

Final Stats-Boys Select 15 Festival

Five players from Wisconsin participated in the USA Hockey Select 15 Festival in St. Cloud, Minnesota. Here's their stats for the fifth (and final) game and their total stats for the Festival:

F-Matt Johnson-Somerset-2 G Total: 3 G, 7.3 Pim

F-Sean Little-Fond du Lac-1 A Total: 1 G, 3 A, 1.3 Pim

F-Kord Miller-Delafield-11.3 Pim Total: 22 Pim

F-Nick Widing-Somerset-None Total: 3 Pim

F-Corey Morbeck-Jackson-23 minutes, 10 shots-9 saves, 1 ga Total: 115 minutes, 60 shots, 57 saves, 3 ga, .950 sv. pctg., 1.20 gaa

UW recruit Zach Bearson's brother Alex Bearson also participated at the Select 15 Festival. Here's his numbers:

F-Alex Bearson-Naperville, IL-1 G Total: 1 G, 1 A, 7.3 Pim

Kord Miller led the ENTIRE FESTIVAL in penalties with 22 Pim. The next player had 16.3 Pim....

Corey Morbeck finished with the best save percentage and goals against average of all the goaltenders.

Corey is Zack's younger brother. One of the best if not the best goaltender in the US for his age group.

The 1993 born brother is the best of the bunch.

Vegas, I've heard of all of those players EXCEPT the Morebecks. Where are they playing, Antartica?

Kord Miller is technically from Wisconsin, but he's playing for Detroit Honeybaked this year and his dad used to coach at Michigan, so his connection to Wisconsin is slim at best.

Morbeck is a good goalie for his age, but that's too young to start projecting goalies. Plus, he had a pretty good team playing in front of him at Selects. It's probably not a huge coincidence that the next best goalie statistically was the other goalie from his team.

I agree.

If Moreland cannot catch on with the Sioux, I hope Hakstol has made it clear to him that Moreland can look around. I think, if nothing else, he'd make a good fit at a place like Concordia or Norwich, or St. Norberts, or perhaps some CHA or AHA teams.

I'm beginning to think you've never seen him play. The fact that both him and Jaques lamaeroux aren't playing for the soiux is beyond me. Both of these guys ripped apart the NAHL and if they would have decided to play in the ushl (I believe Matt did play in the USHL a few years ago and did well) they would have done the same. Northern Michigan got a steal when they landed the lamaroux boy's and if they add a player like moreland to the mix they could be fairly tough. Don't say that i'm only on their band wagon because they are from gf, im on their bandwagon because they are IMHO better players then many of the recruits that UND has brought in.

Moreland's line: 9GP 10G 5A 15PTs.

Also I never joined the Walski over Greico debate but i would guess they were basing it on the fact that greico got torched in his first two games and maybe they wanted to see if walski would give them a better performance then that . Just my opinion.

Whoa! He's only 13 (or 14, I guess)...how many kids, even star hockey players, know where they want to go to college at that age? Let's give the kid a few years, eh?

well given that it was just a question and also, if im not mistaken this is prospective sioux recruits. if a 1990 born kid can commit, then why cant a 92 have some POSSIBLE inclination of where he is going? again...it was just a question...im terribly sorry if i deeply hurt or offended anyone.

I'm beginning to think you've never seen him play. The fact that both him and Jaques lamaeroux aren't playing for the soiux is beyond me. Both of these guys ripped apart the NAHL and if they would have decided to play in the ushl (I believe Matt did play in the USHL a few years ago and did well) they would have done the same. Northern Michigan got a steal when they landed the lamaroux boy's and if they add a player like moreland to the mix they could be fairly tough. Don't say that i'm only on their band wagon because they are from gf, im on their bandwagon because they are IMHO better players then many of the recruits that UND has brought in.

Moreland's line: 9GP 10G 5A 15PTs.

Also I never joined the Walski over Greico debate but i would guess they were basing it on the fact that greico got torched in his first two games and maybe they wanted to see if walski would give them a better performance then that . Just my opinion.

When Moreland played during the meet the Sioux scrimmage two years ago he looked very out of place. The Sioux asked him to play a year in the USHL. My understanding is that he did not want to live that far from home, so he decided to play for the Jets instead. Regardless, the Sioux coaches obviously do not think he has progressed enough to compete on the roster.

J. Lamoureux is a very good player but he is not cracking the lineup in Northern Michigan. Exactly how do you think he would fit in on the Sioux roster?

Who knows anything about this kid?

Jake Hanson - White Bear Lake HS

He's only a junior this year, but it says in the Star Tribune today that he has several visits to D-1 programs set up for the next 6 weeks or so, including Minnesota, UND, Duluth, Denver, CC, and Mankato. What are our chances landing this kid?