SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

I think this is a pretty big loss for us. We really need to start getting some 07 committments and Wilson was one of the top recruits for 07 and one of which I thought we had a great chance at landing. Hopefully, we can get some other big time recruits to join Trupp, Lapointe and Marto for 07.

UND should try and pick Jason Gregoire who was slightly better than Wilson before Wilson went to the US Development program. Jason has great hands and is well liked by his teammates. He had a great rookie season in the Manitoba Junior Hockey League and was one of the top scorers in the playoffs. This shows that he was getting better as the season wore on (who does that remind you of) against much older players.

Another great pick-up would Wade Poplawski who was a teammate of Gregoire and a very smart and mobile defenceman.

I think this is a pretty big loss for us. We really need to start getting some 07 committments and Wilson was one of the top recruits for 07 and one of which I thought we had a great chance at landing. Hopefully, we can get some other big time recruits to join Trupp, Lapointe and Marto for 07.

Are there any "big time" recruits left for 07? The 07 lists for Mich/MN/Wisc are pretty full.

Agreed. I was hoping that we would get Wilson when I heard that UND was in the running for him. That's too bad.

Vegas- Has UND expressed interest in Gregoire, or vice versa?

It would have been good to get him but when I found out his home is listed in Connecticut and his father played college hockey at Dartmouth I realized he wasn't the normal Winnipeg homey we are used to getting a shot at. Sounds more like he was an east coast kid to me, and if so, UND was probably doing pretty good just to get to be a finalist.

Are there any "big time" recruits left for 07? The 07 lists for Mich/MN/Wisc are pretty full.

Here are my thoughts as to the remaining big time recruits.

Ben Winnett - My guess is that with Wilson gone he is high on the Sioux wish list. From Salmon Arm (Sioux farm system)

Ben Blood - Shattuck hard hitting Defensman. Small for Sioux 6'1"

Pat Kane - Maybel best player still out there, likely will not play college or go to BU.

Brett Bruneteau - Haven't heard much, but a solid forward.

Brad Malone - Another big time forward

Mario Lamoureux - You have heard of him

Jason Gregoire - This would be a good pickup

Lucas Bloodoff - Power Forward, Can you have Blood without Bloodoff?

Riley Nash - Emerging player also playing for the Sioux Juniors in Salmon Arm.

Not to mention players like LaPointe that seemingly come out of nowhere to become legit professional prospects. There are also players like Toews (who was NOT originally expected to play college), that the Sioux tend to attract.

2008 could be another LOADED Sioux class.

Here are my thoughts as to the remaining big time recruits.

Ben Winnett - My guess is that with Wilson gone he is high on the Sioux wish list. From Salmon Arm (Sioux farm system)

Ben Blood - Shattuck hard hitting Defensman. Small for Sioux 6'1"

Pat Kane - Maybel best player still out there, likely will not play college or go to BU.

Brett Bruneteau - Haven't heard much, but a solid forward.

Brad Malone - Another big time forward

Mario Lamoureux - You have heard of him

Jason Gregoire - This would be a good pickup

Lucas Bloodoff - Power Forward, Can you have Blood without Bloodoff?

Riley Nash - Emerging player also playing for the Sioux Juniors in Salmon Arm.

Not to mention players like LaPointe that seemingly come out of nowhere to become legit professional prospects. There are also players like Toews (who was NOT originally expected to play college), that the Sioux tend to attract.

2008 could be another LOADED Sioux class.

From what I understand, we're not in the running for Bruneteau. Pat Kane is ineligible as it is widely believed he went to London of the OHL.

Didn't Brad Malone commit somewhere? In any case, he's from out East. I'd expect BC to get him or some other school in HockeyLeast.

And something bugs me about Mario L. This guy has a schollie on the table for UND for 2007. He also has an offer to join his brother in Red Deer. Yet he hasn't made a decision either way. So how long do we hold the scholarship offer open to him knowing that, if he should hold on to this and then turn it down, it may be too late to use that scholarship on an adequate replacement?

[

And something bugs me about Mario L. This guy has a schollie on the table for UND for 2007. He also has an offer to join his brother in Red Deer. Yet he hasn't made a decision either way. So how long do we hold the scholarship offer open to him knowing that, if he should hold on to this and then turn it down, it may be too late to use that scholarship on an adequate replacement?

[

I heard he was waiting to see how they treated Phil.. With JP gone, Phil will get a fair shake.

Expect Mario to sign.

[

I heard he was waiting to see how they treated Phil.. With JP gone, Phil will get a fair shake.

Expect Mario to sign.

And Phil hasn't had a fair shake to this point? I wonder what they were waiting for....

Expect Mario to sign.

I have a question about M lammy. i dont mean offense to him by this, but is he really that good to get a scholarship offer that early? im just saying because i have seen his USHL stats and they arent that impressive...but i know he must be pretty good because i trust the coaches and that he is wanted by red deer too.

I have a question about M lammy. i dont mean offense to him by this, but is he really that good to get a scholarship offer that early? im just saying because i have seen his USHL stats and they arent that impressive...but i know he must be pretty good because i trust the coaches and that he is wanted by red deer too.

Massen and Moreland's end of season stats were pretty similiar that year.

But, Massen played that year. I dont recall seeing Moreland on the team, or even dressed for any games. EDIT: Massen was in the team picture, front row, next to Lammy, but in the photo we got in our package on the trip to the Frozen Four, his name was omited.

But, Massen played that year. I dont recall seeing Moreland on the team, or even dressed for any games. EDIT: Massen was in the team picture, front row, next to Lammy, but in the photo we got in our package on the trip to the Frozen Four, his name was omited.

If I remember correctly, didn't Moreland skate in the intrasquad scrimmage at Meet the Sioux?

If I remember correctly, didn't Moreland skate in the intrasquad scrimmage at Meet the Sioux?

Yes he did. The 2004 meet the Sioux, that is. He was not announced though, he just skated out of his own.

Kinslow said Dayn Belfour will compete for the starting spot with two other goaltenders. The Jets also have Elliot Okland and former Moorhead High School standout Jordy Christian, a St. Cloud State (Minn.) recruit.

Yes, Jordy Christian is an SCSU recruit, but he's also a forward.

Now Beau Christian is a goaltender, and is uncommitted to any college to my knowledge.

PS - To whom do I send my bill? "sports@forumcomm.com"? ???

is belfours son on he sioux goalie radar?? he will play for the jets in fargo and i believe was selected to the usa select team....sounds decent..anyone know?

from brad's sioux hockey extra blog

http://www.gfheraldsiouxhockey.blogspot.com/

Our brothers from the Forum reported that Ed Belfour's son, Dayn, will play for the F-M Jets of the NAHL while attending Fargo North as a senior this year.

Dayn, a goaltender, was recently named to the U.S. Under-18 Select team, which will compete in Europe next month