SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux Recruits

dagies

On another note Jason Gregoire (1989 born) of the South Winnipeg Blues is on fire. He finished as the 3rd leading scorer in the Manitoba Junior Hockey League playoffs with 23 points in 14 games. He had more points than several college bound guys who are 2 and 3 years older than him. Jason and the Blues are in Yorkton Saskatchewan this weekend going up against the Terriers who the the SJHL champs.

Jason also made it known in last Saturday's Winnipeg Free Press paper that he is very interested in going the College route. Hope the Sioux are listening. He is another special player out of Winnipeg with a great attitude.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On another note Jason Gregoire (1989 born) of the South Winnipeg Blues is on fire. He finished as the 3rd leading scorer in the Manitoba Junior Hockey League playoffs with 23 points in 14 games. He had more points than several college bound guys who are 2 and 3 years older than him. Jason and the Blues are in Yorkton Saskatchewan this weekend going up against the Terriers who the the SJHL champs.

Jason also made it known in last Saturday's Winnipeg Free Press paper that he is very interested in going the College route. Hope the Sioux are listening. He is another special player out of Winnipeg with a great attitude.

I got bored so I figured I'd look this kid up. http://www.wsblues.mb.ca/profiles/Gregoire.html

TOTAL: Playoffs

GP 57 14

G 22 12

A 28 11

Pts 50 23

PIM 46 8

PtsPG 0.88 1.64

I'm interested in the Sioux interest in Gregoire.

Albeit that the points come from a weak conference (No offense, but I think an average BCHL team could handle the MJHL teams. Don't ask what a USHL team would do to them) he looks to be solid. I would love it if he would come south and sign an import agreement with a USHL team.

I'm interested in the Sioux interest in Gregoire.

Albeit that the points come from a weak conference (No offense, but I think an average BCHL team could handle the MJHL teams. Don't ask what a USHL team would do to them) he looks to be solid. I would love it if he would come south and sign an import agreement with a USHL team.

I think this would have been a correct assessment in the early and late 90's. The BCHL advertised themselves as being a College friendly Junior League much earlier than the rest of the Junior leagues in Canada and they did eveything they could to make it easier for US Colleges to scout and recruit from their league. As a result they began to capture a lot of the higher end talent in Canada that didn't want to remove the college option by playing Major Junior. That is slowly starting to turn around because of the what some of the other Junior B leagues in Canada are starting to do or have done.

The MJHL has used the same tactic of using the College option to recruit/retain players starting in around 2000. They removed the center ice rule to conform with US College Hockey and they have run tournaments specifically for scouts to attend and see all of the teams in one weekend. They may not have the same amount of cash behind their teams but it would be a stretch to suggest that the top end MJHL teams couldn't compete in the BCHL. In fact I would argue that over the last couple of years, the Manitoba Champion would probably have beaten the BCHL champion.

The Portage Terriers gave the Saskatchewan team everything they could handle last year. While the Saskatchewan champions didn't win it all, the team that did win the national championship was out of Saskatchewan. The BCHL has been quite on the national front for quite some time now.

I also tend to look at how the younger teams have done in the past in their AAA summer tournaments, western finals, etc. The group out of Manitoba starting in around 1985 has been getting stronger and stronger, peaking with the 1988's (Toews et al) and with the 1989's being a close 2nd. The 1987's were probably the weakest out of the that stretch from 1985 to 1989. That tells me that their are roughly 3 out of the 4 years of very competitive age groups to pick out of and they should probably do well against other teams across the country.

I've said time and again, I'm not a hockey talent expert. I'm a fan. Part of being a fan is supporting your team. I may be notorious for blasting poster's on this board, but I try to refrain from blasting a player.

I would believe this quote from just about anyone but you. Are you kidding me? A ton of your posts have been specifically about blasting players, well one in general.

I would believe this quote from just about anyone but you. Are you kidding me? A ton of your posts have been specifically about blasting players, well one in general.

I just read the rest of the thread after Trouixper's post. Ignore my previous post even more than you normally would.

I have a certificate showing I passed my CPA and my Series 7, and I have an old ticket stub signed by a Devil's scout that I once sat next to at a UND game (he gave me one of his "scoresheet templates" he uses to assess players), but I'm having trouble scanning them and attaching them in a post so you all can see my credentials. I can fax them if anyone would prefer that.

I have a certificate showing I passed my CPA and my Series 7, and I have an old ticket stub signed by a Devil's scout that I once sat next to at a UND game (he gave me one of his "scoresheet templates" he uses to assess players), but I'm having trouble scanning them and attaching them in a post so you all can see my credentials. I can fax them if anyone would prefer that.

Phfffftt.... :silly:

I think this would have been a correct assessment in the early and late 90's. The BCHL advertised themselves as being a College friendly Junior League much earlier than the rest of the Junior leagues in Canada and they did eveything they could to make it easier for US Colleges to scout and recruit from their league. As a result they began to capture a lot of the higher end talent in Canada that didn't want to remove the college option by playing Major Junior. That is slowly starting to turn around because of the what some of the other Junior B leagues in Canada are starting to do or have done.

The MJHL has used the same tactic of using the College option to recruit/retain players starting in around 2000. They removed the center ice rule to conform with US College Hockey and they have run tournaments specifically for scouts to attend and see all of the teams in one weekend. They may not have the same amount of cash behind their teams but it would be a stretch to suggest that the top end MJHL teams couldn't compete in the BCHL. In fact I would argue that over the last couple of years, the Manitoba Champion would probably have beaten the BCHL champion.

The Portage Terriers gave the Saskatchewan team everything they could handle last year. While the Saskatchewan champions didn't win it all, the team that did win the national championship was out of Saskatchewan. The BCHL has been quite on the national front for quite some time now.

I also tend to look at how the younger teams have done in the past in their AAA summer tournaments, western finals, etc. The group out of Manitoba starting in around 1985 has been getting stronger and stronger, peaking with the 1988's (Toews et al) and with the 1989's being a close 2nd. The 1987's were probably the weakest out of the that stretch from 1985 to 1989. That tells me that their are roughly 3 out of the 4 years of very competitive age groups to pick out of and they should probably do well against other teams across the country.

Further to my post above, got this from the Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League web site showing the rankings of the various teams. MJHL champs are ranked 3rd, highest BCHL team is ranked 7th:

CJAHL National Junior 'A' Rankings

The Canadian Junior 'A' Hockey League is pleased to announce this week's CJAHL National Rankings sponsored by SP Apparel. The National Junior 'A' rankings represent an assessment, based on performance, of the top Junior 'A' teams in the country left in the running for the RBC Royal Bank Cup. From the 141 Junior 'A' teams in the Canadian Junior 'A' Hockey League the rankings are as follows:

The SP Apparel Canadian Junior 'A' National Rankings for the week ending April 16th are:

Last Week

1. Yorkton Terriers (SJHL) - 37-11-7 (RS) 14-5 (PO) (1)

2. St. Michael's Buzzers (OPJHL) - 29-12-8 (RS) 20-5 (PO) (2)

3. Winnipeg South Blues (ManJHL) - 39-20-4 (RS) 12-2 (PO) (3)

4. Pembroke Lumber Kings (CJHL) - 50-7-2 (RS) 7-4 (PO) (4)

5. Fort McMurray Oil Barons (AJHL) - 40-14-6 (RS) 12-5 (PO) (6)

6. Woodstock Subway Slammers (MarJHL) - 41-10-5 (RS) 11-4 (PO) (7)

7. Burnaby Express (BCHL) - 34-20-6 (RS) 15-4 (PO) (11)

8. Penticton Vees (BCHL) - 41-13-6 (RS) 10-4 (PO) (5)

9. L'Action de Joliette (LHJAAAQ) - 39-8-4 (RS) 11-3 (PO) (9)

10. Hawkesbury Hawks (CJHL) - 30-19-8 (RS) 11-3 (PO) (14)

11. Fort William North Stars (SIJHL) - 50-2-0 (RS) 8-0 (PO) (12)

12. Lafleche College Titan (LHJAAAQ) - 36-12-3 (RS) 9-6 (PO) (13)

13. Sudbury Junior Wolves (NOJHL) - 36-11-2 (RS) 7-3 (PO) (17)

14. Amherst Ramblers (MarJHL) - 33-18-5 (RS) 9-7 (PO) (15)

15. Nepean Raiders (CJHL) - 37-16-6 (RS) 9-9 (PO) (16)

16. Dryden Ice Dogs (SIJHL) - 35-14-3 (RS) 4-4 (PO) (19)

17. North Bay Skyhawks (NOJHL) - 30-18-0 (RS) 10-5 (PO) (20)

18. Streetsville Derbys (OPJHL) - 25-19-5 (RS) 2-4 (PO) (21)

Further to my post above, got this from the Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League web site showing the rankings of the various teams. MJHL champs are ranked 3rd, highest BCHL team is ranked 7th:

CJAHL National Junior 'A' Rankings

The SP Apparel Canadian Junior 'A' National Rankings for the week ending April 16th are:

Last Week

1. Yorkton Terriers (SJHL) - 37-11-7 (RS) 14-5 (PO) (1)

2. St. Michael's Buzzers (OPJHL) - 29-12-8 (RS) 20-5 (PO) (2)

3. Winnipeg South Blues (ManJHL) - 39-20-4 (RS) 12-2 (PO) (3)

4. Pembroke Lumber Kings (CJHL) - 50-7-2 (RS) 7-4 (PO) (4)

5. Fort McMurray Oil Barons (AJHL) - 40-14-6 (RS) 12-5 (PO) (6)

6. Woodstock Subway Slammers (MarJHL) - 41-10-5 (RS) 11-4 (PO) (7)

7. Burnaby Express (BCHL) - 34-20-6 (RS) 15-4 (PO) (11)

8. Penticton Vees (BCHL) - 41-13-6 (RS) 10-4 (PO) (5)

9. L'Action de Joliette (LHJAAAQ) - 39-8-4 (RS) 11-3 (PO) (9)

10. Hawkesbury Hawks (CJHL) - 30-19-8 (RS) 11-3 (PO) (14)

I got to watch my hometown Hawkesbury Hawks win the CJHL playoff last night. They look even stronger than last year when they went to the national championship (Final Four) and there is no interconference play so I wouldn't put too much weight on these rankings. The Hawks big 6'7" Dman Gravel is still available as far as I know and looked like Chara on the Special teams with his long reach.

The Hawks big 6'7" Dman Gravel is still available as far as I know and looked like Chara on the Special teams with his long reach.

Picturing him and Finley coming down the ice gives me shivers!!! We wouldn't be talking Oak trees, they'd be friggin' Redwoods!!! :silly:

I got to watch my hometown Hawkesbury Hawks win the CJHL playoff last night. They look even stronger than last year when they went to the national championship (Final Four) and there is no interconference play so I wouldn't put too much weight on these rankings. The Hawks big 6'7" Dman Gravel is still available as far as I know and looked like Chara on the Special teams with his long reach.

How are his skills? Is he a good skater? Is he headed for Major Juniors? What year is he? I'm hungry, FEED ME...

How are his skills? Is he a good skater? Is he headed for Major Juniors? What year is he? I'm hungry, FEED ME...

Good questions. If size made a good hockey player we'd be raving right now about John Scott and reminiscing about the Wookiee (well, Forecheck may still be doing so, but hey..)

It comes down to skating ability, defensive effectiveness, stick handling, and hockey sense. I'm sure if he has all of these things and Hak found out about it, he'd check it out or send Berry to check him out.

In some ways he is alot like Finley. Not the greatest skater on the ice but when you are that size each stride gets you down the ice quicker than someone who has to take two. I asked others in the stands if he was going to go Major Junior next year and no one seemed to think so. The much smaller Nepean players could not get to the front of the Hawkesbury net when he was on the ice. He just turned 19 so he is already a seasoned junior player.

Here is the Hawks roster if you wanted to check it out:

http://www.hawkesburyhawks.com/hawks.html

As an aside their Captain (Picard) has committed to Ohio State and the Dman who was the playoff MVP (Hudson) has committed to Canisius.

In some ways he is alot like Finley. Not the greatest skater on the ice but when you are that size each stride gets you down the ice quicker than someone who has to take two.

Kinda sounds like Craig Ludwig when he came to UND. Not a great skater but a hell of a presence on the ice!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, that's talent that has yet to be used to it's fullest potential.

if jordan comes back, he's not going to have toooo long of a rope to hang himself with. even though lammy hasn't showed his full potential, he is going to be given more of an opportunity next year if jordan isn't stellar. That said, I think it's going to push jordan THAT much harder to be the best goalie in the land. His future in hockey depends on it. On the flip side of that, I think that lammy's future in hockey depends greatly on what he can do this upcoming year and his senior year, so it behoooves him to be an absolute rock in the opportunities that he is given.

If jordan leaves, lammy is the man bar none, walski will get some time, but he is still basically a freshman(practice and eligibility aside). if this is the case, then lammy is going to have to step up and show everyone that he can be the man, which, for him, means get his head on straight. In the games he gave up a weak goal, his confidence went out the window and he became more and more frustrated. I hope that he works his ass off to turn that into more determination to stop everything and anything coming his way.

This is going to be a better team next year with the defensemen we have coming back a year bigger, stronger, and experienced, but goaltending is still going to have to step up big and be a factor game in and game out. The offense just lost two of it's best and even though we might not be done losing players, you can't replace that with what we're bringing in, and there is always going to be the possibility of needing to win 2-1 ,1-0, 3-2 games. It should be fun, and definately interesting to see what happens the rest of this off season and how next year unfolds. I know my butt will be in my seat at the ralph cheering on these kids as they hopefully improve on what they accomplished this past year.

First off, we don't want any part of Matt Lundin. He hasn't shown anything to be bragging about since he was supposed to give Bishop the year off to get used to the game and it didn't work out at all. He's at best someone I'd bring in to back up Aaron Walski. No, I'm not kidding.

Secondly, a short rope for Jordan Parise? Am I hearing this right? I mean, what more does Jordan have to do to get you guys to finally be on his side? Oh, I know everyone's smarting because we lost to DU two years ago despite being only able to score 1 or 2 goals vs. Mannino. And I know we got beat 6-5 vs BC which was a talented team that got lucky. So, that automatically makes Jordan a bad goaltender?

Let me tell you folks something, translated into the NHL, I think someone like Phil would be demanding a trade because there's NO F-ING WAY short of a total meltdown or a significant injury that Jordan wouldn't be named #1 goaltender with the performance he's shown. There are PLENTY of examples to prove this. The only good thing about the Wild the past few years was that they had two quality goaltenders. Roloson could never step in and be a #1 because Fernandez was simply too good. Jordan was the difference at times during the season between winning and losing a game. He's not a show stopper, but NEITHER IS PHIL. For goodness sakes people! The only people who have Jordan on a short leash are you guys! Hakstol has faith in him, the team has faith in him. Those are TWO very important factors. As long as those two are solidly in Jordan's corner, so am I.

Is Phil a bad goaltender? Nope. Does he deserve a shot? Sure. But should it come at the expense of one game where a myriad of factors affected the outcome? Nope. Sorry. Point fingers all you want but Jordan wasn't even the MAIN reason why we lost to BC. I guess some people here do need someone to blame for the loss. It might as well be Jordan, I guess. Should that chance come at the cost of a goaltender who has done nothing but represent UND extremely well the past 3 years? Hell no.

Jordan's the man unless:

1. He leaves UND for the pros

2. He has a total meltdown in which the players and the coaches feel that benching is appropriate

3. He gets injured.

For you scapegoaters out there, you'll just have to cope with that. Or maybe go haunt the UND player whose shot hit the STICK of Schneider and stayed out of the net. Maybe you can blame him instead.