SiouxSports.com Forum

Fighting Sioux vs. U of Manitoba Bison(s)

siouxnami

Matt Watkins or Andrew Kozek? Only SS's intrepid reporter knows for sure.

1909.jpg

Another poster commented on Brian Lee being the 2nd Coming of Travis Roche. Considering he's fresh out of high school & poised beyond his years, he may even be a notch above Roche in pure ability.The coming month & stiffer competition should tell us if this is so. Had he been born a few more miles to the north customs agents may have not allowed him to enter the States.

Don't agree very much with some of the WCHA final standings predictions over at USCHO. 4th & 5th place? The WCHA is a 4 or 5 team top-heavy league this year but if the Sioux can confine their one & only weakness (defense, at least early) to one or two defensive pairings they may be able to finish top 3. From a pressure perspective, it may be easier to start low & climb gradually during the year, rather than starting very high & trying to maintain that intensity for 6 months. Have fun & play the spoiler role for awhile.

I'm one who has projected a 5th place finish, based on the idea that our D corp is so inexperienced at this level. However, I agree with you that if the playing level of the defense is at least solid and dependable a top 3 finish is not out of the question, as long as the offense and goaltending is as strong as most of us expect.

It will be interesting to see what the next few weeks bring. I doubt the D will look quite as composed against Gabe Gauthier as they did yesterday, but the team appears to be avoiding significant chaos out of the chutes

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

$10 a game, plus a free popcorn and Coke. I'd take it if it was offered! :)

Seriously, since he's employed by REA, a private enterprise, his pay won't be of public record. So.... unless someone in payroll at REA has a big mouth, or maybe a member of his family has let it slip, you likely won't find out.

What kind of class is giving you points for finding out what an announcer makes? "Sudo-journalism?" :lol:

It will be interesting to see what the next few weeks bring.  I doubt the D will look quite as composed against Gabe Gauthier as they did yesterday, but the team appears to be avoiding significant chaos out of the chutes

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

dagies, you appear to be a very realistic/pragmatic guy. Some of us prefer the "blind faith" and optomistic approach--at least until the team has lost a game or two. :lol:

Yesterday's exhibition game served to confirm what we thought we knew: this young group of defensemen has an abundance of talent and skill. We hope that will allow them to overcome their collective lack of experience and (compared to last year's group)physical strength.

Anyone else think that Zach Jones looked a lot like Matt out there? If it weren't for the number, I'd have thought Hak brought his brother back for an encore. Hopefully he's here for 4 years, should be a fun player to watch...

These new defensmen really like jumping up in the play, but overall I like what I saw from them...Alexander is definately a recruiting steal...

Ryan Duncan looked like pretty good in the game.  1G 1A pretty good for the freshemen.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. You always knew when Duncan was on the ice. He can really make things happen. Depending on who his ultimate line mates are, he's either going to have a lot of goals or a lot of assists. I thought he was a tremendous passer and has a hot shot. Toews, Chorney and Oshie stood out too.

I also thought Lee had a good defensive game but will need to work on holding the zone. Probably some jitters but he's so poised, it's hard to tell. He played more like Jordan Leopold than Travis Roche.

Anyone else think that Zach Jones looked a lot like Matt out there?  If it weren't for the number, I'd have thought Hak brought his brother back for an encore.  Hopefully he's here for 4 years, should be a fun player to watch...

These new defensmen really like jumping up in the play, but overall I like what I saw from them...Alexander is definately a recruiting steal...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

All right someone else thinks so too! I mentioned that to my son and he totally disagreed with me. Eh, what does he know! Little punk thinks he knows it all. :lol:

Matt Watkins or Andrew Kozek? Only SS's intrepid reporter knows for sure.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He should, but he didn't. :silly: It took a while to get it changed, but Kozek finally has his goal. Sorry about that.

I'm one who has projected a 5th place finish, based on the idea that our D corp is so inexperienced at this level...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The more blue chippers that are on any given squad narrows the window-of-opportunity, it seems, to win a national championship because of early defections. Whereas the '96-'97 recruiting class didn't have any (I think) first-round picks and eventually won 2 NCAAs because almost all the players stayed the entire 4 years. So there is a price with higher-end talent in that there is more of an urgency to win it all in a shorter time frame.

The mentality of guys like Lee, Chorney, Zajac & Toews no doubt want to win at this level & are very competitive, but their main goal (for the most part) was & always will be to turn pro if they're ready for & wanted in the pros; unlike the mentality of guys like DeFauw, Armbrust, the Panzer bros. & Hoogsteen who were pretty much relegated to finishing out their college careers.

Just some Tuesday ramblings here. Most college hockey buffs know this stuff but it's been on my mind ever since the Sioux went from Blue-light specials to Blue-chipper phenoms a few years ago.

... ever since the Sioux went from Blue-light specials to Blue-chipper phenoms a few years ago.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I love that line. I've talked about the phenomenon before, but never with such a great line. Of the two choices, I prefer the current strategy (which was made possible in large part by the building), but it's plenty tricky. As long as you keep bringing in the top talent, I think the window pretty much stays open. But if you have a down recruiting year, and all the top talent from the previous few years happens to leave early, you could have a pretty empty cupboard. I feel like UND is in a great position to compete for about the next three years, but after that probably all the early-round NHL picks currently on the team will be gone, and the years following will be dependent on continuing great classes.

I love that line. I've talked about the phenomenon before, but never with such a great line. Of the two choices, I prefer the current strategy (which was made possible in large part by the building), but it's plenty tricky. As long as you keep bringing in the top talent, I think the window pretty much stays open. But if you have a down recruiting year, and all the top talent from the previous few years happens to leave early, you could have a pretty empty cupboard. I feel like UND is in a great position to compete for about the next three years, but after that probably all the early-round NHL picks currently on the team will be gone, and the years following will be dependent on continuing great classes.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What most Major Junior fans in Canada wouldn't give to have a line-up like this years to watch! One thing I think we can all agree on is that the Sioux fans should get their moneys worth.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks. I always strive to be in the mold (not the fungus type) of the godfather here, PCM.

Your strategy, & obviously that of Hak's also, of going for the gold instead of the silver is probably the right approach. Except, as we can all see, half the WCHA is doing the same thing. I guess it comes down to timing & what team will be loaded & what other teams will only have a few superstars in any given year. This year, Minnesota has the responsibility of following through with their immense talent. Next year, if we don't lose anyone early, will be our turn while the Gophers have a down year of only a couple first-rounders on their roster. So it ebbs & flows with this approach & this year there just happens to be 4 or 5 teams that have a legitimate shot & 1 with a very legitimate shot.

It looks like the Gophers had a bit of trouble with some Canucks in their opening exhibition. The shots on goal show that the Gophers pretty much dominated offensively, but the goaltending looks less than stellar. Alberta had three goals on 24 shots.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

3 goals on 24 shots could be indicative of not just suspect goaltending but also poor defense and inconsistent backchecking. Or, maybe Lucia told the guys to just go out & have fun & was more concerned about line combos than his goalies' GAA. Hard to tell, but if compared with the Sioux/Manitoba game it can cause a Sioux fan to maybe get overly optimistic. My first reaction was that the Gophers may be a one-dimensional team, but we all know exhibitions aren't really good indicators.

It looks like the Gophers had a bit of trouble with some Canucks in their opening exhibition. The shots on goal show that the Gophers pretty much dominated offensively, but the goaltending looks less than stellar. Alberta had three goals on 24 shots.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It was a pretty good game. The goalies weren't really good or bad, Frazee probably would have like the 3rd one back. Alberta was very disciplined and made the exhibition more fun then recent Europe teams or the U18 team. They certainly made the Gophers work for everything they got.

The three goals by Gophers freshmen were all from basically the side of the cage tap ins, so I'm catiously optimistic the Gophers will be actually try for rebounds on offense this year.

Nice to see hockey!