SiouxSports.com Forum

2005-2006 Women's Hockey Thread

HockeyMom

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was bored and ended up watching the UMN vs MSUM women's hockey game today while doing laundry.

I could really care less about the score (I think Minny won) but what I noticed was the skill level of both teams. They were really good passers (despite MSUM icing it like 8 straight times in the 3rd period), fast, followed through, and excellent forecheckers.

Also, I wish we could have gotten Gigi Marvin :lol:

http://www.fightingsioux.com/sports/whocke...RELEASE_ID=4571

Congrats to the women on a great win.

Watching the Olympics, which are basically a series of UMD alumni games, makes it even more impressive.

12 UMD players and a sizeable UMN contingent. Wow.

Carsons (an 18 year old who will be attending Dartmouth next year) looks pretty good too.

UMD isn't going to get worse. I mean, Sweden's star Olympic hockey goaltender is going to UMD next year and she's smoking hot good.

An FYI, only Italy's women's hockey team is without at least one player who doesn't compete at a US college.

Congrats ladies!

Huge win, and yes, the best win in the history of the team.

Kudos on the props during the Olympics too.

A little confidence can go a long ways.....use it.

all the respect in the world to hockey mom she might be the biggest fan in the RRV good win ladies

-$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

No thanks. Imagine the questions that would be asked if a bunch of strangers met on the internet were traipsing through some young girl's room! :silly::D;)

:) Not what I intended when I typed that.

She just decorated it herself with a plethora of women's hockey pictures.....she cut them out and taped them on the wall herself....so it looks really nice. ;)

She's very proud of it.

Has anyone seen the US Olympics commercial that features women's hockey? It's pretty neat. Half way through it some US player just wallops another player. I immediately go "NICE!" then realize suddenly that what they featured was probably a 2 minute minor.

Anyways....

Go lady Sioux! Maybe someday you'll have some Olympians on the team! (Lamoreaux sisters are being thought of as future Olympians... maybe....)

Has anyone seen the US Olympics commercial that features women's hockey? It's pretty neat. Half way through it some US player just wallops another player. I immediately go "NICE!" then realize suddenly that what they featured was probably a 2 minute minor.

Anyways....

Go lady Sioux! Maybe someday you'll have some Olympians on the team! (Lamoreaux sisters are being thought of as future Olympians... maybe....)

Where was it? Open ice or near the boards?

Just watched the US beat Finland. Finland was up 2-3 at the beginning of the 3rd. The US won 7-3.

:lol:

Where was it? Open ice or near the boards?

Just watched the US beat Finland. Finland was up 2-3 at the beginning of the 3rd. The US won 7-3.

:lol:

Not on the boards, but near the boards. I think you can see a bit of the boards in the lower corner during the hit. So, IIRC, it was nearer to the boards than open ice. Anyways, it was a hit Matt Greene or Matt Smaby would be proud of. Checking is illegal in women's hockey, so proud as the Matts would be, she'd be sitting for two minutes.

Not on the boards, but near the boards. I think you can see a bit of the boards in the lower corner during the hit. So, IIRC, it was nearer to the boards than open ice. Anyways, it was a hit Matt Greene or Matt Smaby would be proud of. Checking is illegal in women's hockey, so proud as the Matts would be, she'd be sitting for two minutes.

Yes, body checking is illegal-anywhere on the ice. I haven't seen the ad......they do allow incidental contact. I was just wondering if it would have been incidental, but it probably wasn't, eh.

They do let a lot of things go in women's hockey and there are actually a lot of hits that aren't called. It's not as boring as people may think. I think a lot of people hear that checking isn't allowed and they are automatically turned off.

That said, I still think that they need to allow checking at the International and college level. Girls can take hits. Especially hockey players.

Yes, body checking is illegal-anywhere on the ice. I haven't seen the ad......they do allow incidental contact. I was just wondering if it would have been incidental, but it probably wasn't, eh.

They do let a lot of things go in women's hockey and there are actually a lot of hits that aren't called. It's not as boring as people may think. I think a lot of people hear that checking isn't allowed and they are automatically turned off.

That said, I still think that they need to allow checking at the International and college level. Girls can take hits. Especially hockey players.

It definitely wasn't incidental contact. The opposing player left her feet while falling to the ice. Seriously, it was a great hit. And Seriously, that's a 2 minute minor for bodychecking.

I agree with the rest of your statement. Until SOME form of checking is allowed in girls hockey, I'm not sure how much of a following it will get.

It definitely wasn't incidental contact. The opposing player left her feet while falling to the ice. Seriously, it was a great hit. And Seriously, that's a 2 minute minor for bodychecking.

I agree with the rest of your statement. Until SOME form of checking is allowed in girls hockey, I'm not sure how much of a following it will get.

Let the checking commence. :lol:

I still say that women's hockey isn't as boring as people think. I have seen some great hits at Sioux games that haven't been called.......the best was right in front of us along the boards....a Maine player hit the glass hard and then slid down the glass and cracked her helmet off the ridge on the boards. It was classic. I think I may have even stood up and laughed.

*throws ad for UND in here*

Okay peeps, go check it out for yourself this weekend. This is your last chance to see the senior class (Aynsley Allen, Devon Fingland, Liz Funk, Anne Girtz, Amber Hasbargen, Margaret-Ann Hinkley, Meghan Hopps, Jessica Kovacevich and Meghan Mutrie) play at the Ralph. Don't be one of those people thinking 'I should have really gone to a women's hockey game this season'