SiouxSports.com Forum

2005-2006 Women's Hockey Thread

HockeyMom

After last years OT loss to Minn-Duluth are expectations high for the Fighting Sioux this year?

Hopefully the momentum will spill over from that game and the Sioux will have a good showing this year.

I'm looking forward to the season and attending as many games as I can with my daughter.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hockeymom, have they banned you from talking about womens hockey in the hockey forum? If so, that's a shame!

Unfortunately, I don't know too much about this year's team. Let's hope that they can put together a string of wins and make a good run into the playoffs!

Hockeymom, have they banned you from talking about womens hockey in the hockey forum?  If so, that's a shame! 

Unfortunately, I don't know too much about this year's team.  Let's hope that they can put together a string of wins and make a good run into the playoffs!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not formally. I just post here because the hockey forum says it's for the men's team.

Regardless, Go Sioux!

This should definately be a season where we can build on last years accomplishments. Only loosing 2 players plus the new recruits really seems to set the team up well. However, if I am not mistaken , Bemidji State, the only team below us last season, also only looses 2 players. I might be mistaken about this however.

The WCHA should start to even out as far as competition starting this year. I found it interesting that UND and BSU are the only WCHA schools not fully up to the scholarship level yet. I am definately looking forward to attending as many games as possible this season. We have had good attendance as far as women's programs go. Hopefully as the team's success goes up, so will attendance.

UND Women's Hockey

Season 4: Hunting for More!

UND Women's Hockey

Season 4: Hunting for More!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was trying to think of a neat saying for this season. This is what I thought of. I thought it would be neat if all of the women's hockey supporters could put something in their signature to show our support. Maybe we could draw some more attention to the program with casual fans. Maybe somebody can come up with something better. Or maybe the team even has a saying of their own we could use. Just a thought. Maybe it's a stupid idea. What do you guys think?

• 3 weeks later...
I don't know what year they are in school at Shattuck, but the ladies team would take a giant leap if they could snatch both Lamareaux sisters.  From what my neighbor tells me, they're drop your jaw amazing hockey players.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If we can grab the Lamareaux sisters, the program could establish itself as legitimate WCHA contenders very quickly. But if the Rodents grab them before we can, it might take years to get the women's program where the men's program always is.

Who plays hockey and doesn't like to check.

Let girls check, it will make the game more fun.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. If the game is never going to let girls check, cut the blades off their sticks and throw a ring out on the ice. It's not the same game without it.

Fragileeee.....must be Italian.

I bet if they let women hit you would see some of the best hits in hockey. One of my teammates "couldn't stop" :D and put one of our opponents into the glass last year. I swear she stuck to the glass for ten seconds before she fell. I almost wet my pants. It was a beautiful hit, I wish I would have seen it from the bleacher side of the glass. Biotch shouldn't have been such a puck hog.

Mini Me will play with the boys until she doesn't want to anymore. Hopefully it's quite a while because in my opinion, it will make her a better player. Regardless, she calls the shots.

It's tough to be a parent sometimes......but you do have to know when to back off and make sure you aren't pushing too hard.

Fragileeee.....must be Italian.

I bet if they let women hit you would see some of the best hits in hockey.  One of my teammates "couldn't stop" :D  and put one of our opponents into the glass last year.  I swear she stuck to the glass for ten seconds before she fell.  I almost wet my pants. It was a beautiful hit, I wish I would have seen it from the bleacher side of the glass.  Biotch shouldn't have been such a puck hog.

Mini Me will play with the boys until she doesn't want to anymore.  Hopefully it's quite a while because in my opinion, it will make her a better player.  Regardless, she calls the shots.

It's tough to be a parent sometimes......but you do have to know when to back off and make sure you aren't pushing too hard.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I read somewhere that the oldest you can be and still play on the boys team is 12 or 14. If someone could figure that out for sure, that'd be great! I'm not sure. All the sites I've visited don't give the age requirements for mixed teams, only the history of women's hockey etc.

I have the radio broadcast of the Roy/Osgood fight on my hard drive.  Classic.  Does this belong in this thread?

Women's Hockey........um, I have my hotel reservation for the Frozen Four.  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you're willing to post a link or the fight file in this thread, then yes it belongs. I'd love to see that again. :)

Oh but wait! If you're going to be in MPLS for the Women's FF, then you'll miss the Men's regional at the Ralph. You can't be in two places at one time!!!

Nevermind, you're a mom, you'll figure it out. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Just walked in the door from the Women's game. Have to say I was impressed. Even if it was Manitoba and it was an exhibition game, an 8-0 blanking of a team has to give the ladies some confidence going into the season.

Habargen looked solid in goal. AND It has to be a nice feeling when a freshman gets a hat trick in her first outing.

The best part of the game had to be when it was 6-0 and the avatar started laughing and said, "We're smoking them!"

Go out and buy your season tickets now. Divide $50 by the remaining 18 home games and it comes out to $2.77 a game. Yes, that is to sit ice-side in a leather seat and watch the Fighting Sioux in action.

Support your Fighting Sioux.

Tonights attendance was 1,292. Not bad, but it could be better.

I attended my first Women's hockey game tonight and I was impressed. Hasbargen looked good in goal. The Wooster sisters, Jaques, Bowers and several others did a good job of puckhandling and puck movement. They were able to keep Manitoba pinned in there own end for long periods. The team still has plenty of work to do, especially breaking out of their own zone. But it was entertaining hockey. It was great to watch a game without a lot of clutching and grabbing. Each team had a checking from behind penalty and the offending players were sent straight to the locker room. I think that the officials will be enforcing that rule in both men's and women's hockey.

I have shared season tickets with a friend for both men's hockey and football since we moved into the new buildings. I may have to add women's hockey to the list.