SiouxSports.com Forum

2005-2006 Women's Hockey Thread

HockeyMom

I have a question for women's hockey fans:

Do you as female hockey fans have a problem with the US Women's Nat'l Team scheduling games vs High School boys or men in general? The Twin Cities radio guys took shots at the Women's team for playing....a double edge sword situation. If you lose you lost to HS boys if you win all you beat was HS boys. Does anyone have an issue with this? I think it is fine to schedule the games...........whatever makes you better and prepares you for your goals.

Just throwing this out for hockey fans.

I think that they should play someone that makes them better. Regardless if it's high school boys or men. Whatever helps them beat Canada. :D

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where did I leave off? :D

Seriously, GREAT SWEEP LADIES!

Now, come over to my apartment to celebrate! :D

Anyways, about the US Olympic ladies, I think it's just getting a game period. It may have been too late to try to schedule college opponents. Too bad though.

I was at the game last night......

Attendance stunk.

But the avatar got a puck, so the night wasn't a total loss.

I would have gone to the game if I didn't live 85 miles away and if I didn't have to house and dog sit on top of it.

I remember the last women's game I was at was against Wisconsin a few years back. The announcer was doing intros for the Badgers and he couldn't figure out who was playing what position introducing a defenseman (Defensewoman?) as the goaltender and vice versa. It was quite embarrassing so I yelled out "Sorry ladies, he's new!" Two of the Badger ladies looked over at me and smiled, laughing as well.

So far the ladies hockey team has only won 1 conference game this season against BSU. This weekend they face SCSU who is right above UND and BSU in the standings. The ladies need a sweep just to tie BSU in the standings. This would definately be the weekend to get a few points.

On a side note, I saw a commercial for the women's hockey program last friday night. It was for the series against Wisconsin. The funny thing is that the first time I saw the commercail was after the friday night game was already over. :silly: I think that the university could do alot better job of promoting this program. The women's hockey team has the potential to be our next program to compete for a National Championship. I just wish that the university would try to promote some of the larger series such as UM, UW, and Ohio State. And I don't mean just airing commercials. One year during the Final 5, the UM women's program had set up a large interactive area in the Mall of America to promote itself. You could practice slapshots, etc. Something like this could be done at Columbia Mall before bigger series. Even if it was just a few players there to sign autographs and sign up for ticket give aways. Anything out in the public to get more people to notice the program will help. Also, I would like to see the band and cheer team participate in more games to help with the atmosphere.

At the same time, if the team began winning a few more games it would also help out the cause.

Okay, I am done talking to myself now.

They just had a free girls' clinic on Monday night. They did autos after the clinic was over. The avatar won't stop talking about how much fun she had.

I think it's easy to get young girls involved and excited like this........but getting their parents to take them to games is a whole 'nother battle.

HockeyMom, hope that you have fun with Jody in Cancun. Hope that the women can get a sweep against St. Cloud. It seems that for how much better they are this year, they are definitely not getting the results that were expected, at least from me.

Everything with Mamma Oz is fun....... :silly:

And yeah, so far the results are a little less than I expected, but you still have to cheer for the Fighting Sioux. If we can take 4 points away from the St. Cloud series, that would be great.

I made my first hockey games at the new Ralph last weekend, 4 games in 3 days, *what a vacation* and well worth the effort to do so in my opinion.

I was quite impressed with the speed of the womens game, (ie the supposed lack of check). Personally, I prefer the faster version with the clean skating so it was great. It was unfortunate that they got swept.

The saturday game almost looked as if they were playing a 'man' down the entire game, while with the exception for portion of the 2nd period Sunday they looked much better. Is that how, they've played all year?