SiouxSports.com Forum

2005-2006 Women's Hockey Thread

HockeyMom

Losing your third leading scorer i wouldnt call that minor, especially when women's hockey does not have depth yet. I counted ten games of two goals or less and with Dianoski in the line up that would take some of the scoring presure of the Wooster's and teams would have more then one line to worry about. Hopefully some of those one in two goal games will be wins in the second have with Dianoski and Connelly back in the line-up.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My thoughts are the University has made a commitment for this programs by giving it more and more each year, whether it be scholarships, additional coaches, budget $'s so then the expectation is that each year Sioux women's hockey gets closer to the top of the WCHA. There is no reason for a step back. You can say injuries, but they have 3 more scholarships than a year ago so at worse they should be the same, right?

I'm not a hockey person, but from the outside looking in I would say that because of facilities and the men's tradition women's hockey should be able to grow towards the top of the WCHA.

At meet the sioux Sarah Connelly and Melissa said they were not going to play because of eligibility reasons. I think that their absence contributes to the women's losses but it is only a minor factor. The freshman class is a strong year, but for some reason two players who have gotten a lot of points, or created a lot of opportunity (Alyssa Johnson and Samantha Bowers) have been put back on Defense? Then one of our strongest defenders (Devon Fingland) was put to Forward? It seems as though the absence of Johnson and Samantha on forward have made an impact on how many points we get, as the Wooster sisters can't do it alone. I'm sorry I sound so negative towards the women's program this year, but it is hard to find a positive in their preformance thus far this season.

Thank you for saying what I've been thinking all along...firstly that Bowers and Johnson put a spark up front and Fingland has a great capacity for seeing the ice from the blue line and setting things up better that running around up front. Also leaving Jessica is the only vet defenceman we have right now and that doesn't help much either. Wouldn't it be nice if the coaches listened to us, and I bet we'd have a win this weekend!!

HockeyMom,

Within this thread alone we see comments like...

"I refuse to drink responsibly.....but I am responsible enough to have a designated driver."

&

"There were a couple punches thrown too....I kinda liked it."

&

"*takes another drink of my margarita* It's 5 o'clock somewhere........."

and now CHAIR THROWING?

Are you adopting? :D

what are you predictions for this weekend? Sioux Sweep? Beaver Sweep? Split. I'm going with a split because I think the beavers will take the first game, and the Sioux will come out on top Sunday. Hopefully we'll see Bowers back on forward...she just doesn't seem to fit Defense...and Fingland permanently back to Defense, she's too strong as a Defender not to have her there. Johnson could go either way, she's strong on both and where is Christey Allen? I haven't seen her on the bench or game sheet since Ohio? I'm assuming it must be an injury as she is one of our strongest defense and definately our MOST consistant. I'd really like to see a goal from the Hopps, Girtz, Allen line this weekend, they're definately due, and are making a big impact on the ice. Here's hoping...go sioux.

A win today! Congrats ladies, and was it EVER a win. Those Wooster sisters sure lit it up today. Margaret played VERY well in nets, she's coming out of nowhere and challenging Hasbargen's number 1 spot, good for her for making a mark. Let's do it again tomorrow ladies, they finally look like they're meshing.

The ladies had a great game against Bemidji State. Now they just need to finish it up by getting the sweep. I have said all season that these ladies have the talent but just need some confidence. Let's get the sweep ladies.

I think it's the confidence too......I feel bad that I missed the game. Two kids playing in two different towns makes it difficult though.

Let's get the sweep ladies!

Samantha Bowers receives WCHA rookie of the week

12/12/2005

GRAND FORKS, N.D. - Samantha Bowers (Fr., Littleton, Colo.) has been named the WCHA Rookie of the Week. Bowers registered three points on the weekend, scoring one goal and adding two assists against Bemidji State.

Bowers is tied for most points by a UND freshman with Melissa Jaques (Fr., Cooks Creek, Man.) with nine. She has played both forward and defense for the Sioux this year.

Congrats.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a question for women's hockey fans:

Do you as female hockey fans have a problem with the US Women's Nat'l Team scheduling games vs High School boys or men in general? The Twin Cities radio guys took shots at the Women's team for playing....a double edge sword situation. If you lose you lost to HS boys if you win all you beat was HS boys. Does anyone have an issue with this? I think it is fine to schedule the games...........whatever makes you better and prepares you for your goals.

Just throwing this out for hockey fans.